• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Now I'm pretty sure that if an enemy kills you a bunch of times, he will disappear permanently. I only killed the guy 1 time, and he killed me tons. I'm pretty disappointed in this, now I can't even practice on him.

Are you sure he wasn't just like some of the non-respawning enemies in Dark Souls 1?

Ateron

Okay. Now I'm pretty sure that if an enemy kills you a bunch of times, he will disappear permanently. I only killed the guy 1 time, and he killed me tons. I'm pretty disappointed in this, now I can't even practice on him.
nojWx.gif

Jobbs

Banned
Are you sure he wasn't just like some of the non-respawning enemies in Dark Souls 1?

Yeah, in Dark 1, some enemies are more or less regular enemies but don't respawn. Like the mace welding knight or the channeler in the cathedral or the knight ghost in the forest behind the artorias wall.

Kensuke

Maybe 15 deaths in an area = spawns gone?

No, all the other enemies in the area are still there. I've died at least 20 times now in this area and I haven't killed anyone 15 times yet here. This sucks.

Edit:
To be specific about the area and enemy:
First area in the Tower of Flame. There are three huge enemies very close to the bonfire. The first one wields a sword, the second one a mace and the third one a sword again. I can kill the sword guys easily, but the mace guy has wrecked me a ton of times. This guy with the mace has now disappeared, while enemy 1# and #3, not even a few feet away where mace guy was, are still there. I killed him once and he appeared again after I died at the hands of another enemy further in, so he is not unique or anything.

Listonosh

whoa yeah that's news to me. Admittedly I haven't been killed by a single NPC that many times. That is definitely an odd design choice.

No, all the other enemies in the area are still there. I've died at least 20 times now in this area and I haven't killed anyone 15 times yet here. This sucks.

So, they've done that for the reason I've said. Die enough times, don't have to deal with enemies as much. I guess that was one of the complaints from people that didn't want to fight the same enemy over and over.

:(

Garcia

So this can be confirmed by now? I've heard it being mentioned in other places for the past day but without any solid evidence to back it up.

cerulily

Wouldn't be surprised if half of those views are from girls who just want to see his adonis-like face.

Yes me and my friend were both pretty smitten with him. My BF was not quite so enamored :p

However that's not the video with his face.

Also, i just think it's the manner in which i play. My first time through, i don't get hung up going for a specific item because there is almost no way of knowing if it is going to be worth using.

And once you're used to a souls game you learn to realize that 9/10 the problem is absolutely not your soul level.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Oh maybe he doesnt respawn, like the Titanite Demons from Dark Souls.

edit: nvm, just saw your edit

Kensuke, I'm almost 100% positive that that particular enemy only spawns once. I killed him on my first attempt and I never saw him again.

Welp, i don't know what to believe anymore.

Steez

Kensuke, I'm almost 100% positive that that particular enemy only spawns once. I killed him on my first attempt and I never saw him again.

ironcreed

Banned

WTF? He quit spawning because you died?

Ah, some clarity.

Ateron

So, they've done that for the reason I've said. Die enough times, don't have to deal with enemies as much. I guess that was one of the complaints from people that didn't want to fight the same enemy over and over.

:(

Couldn't they just create a covenant or npc to switch between modes? Leave the game as it is by default, if you have problems advancing enable "no respawning mode". That way everyone would be pleased. At this moment I'm just worried about "that item" availability in-game.

I think that perseverance is the essence of Souls. You spend 30 minutes fighting hard enemies only to apprehensively face a boss which will probably kick your ass. Thing is, that's why shortcuts exist, so that you can reach the same boss in 3-4 minutes with minimal combat (Gargoyle in DaS). Hell, you can even sprint towards it (Penetrator in DeS) and ignore most of the enemies with a few well timed rolls.

The four kings were an exception but even then, when you knew what you were doing you could get there pretty fast, even though there was no bonfire (the waiting for the elevator was the worst part for me).

With this system they're basically saying:

From: "there there. that drake too much for you? ok, we'll make sure he doesn't annoy you anymore"
player : "Bu-bu-but I wanted to farm for his scales! It was just a miscalculated roll and he got me! I can take him, I swear!"
from: "shush. you will advance through barren wastelands and will like it!"

Sun

Neo Member
Well, I don't know about you guys, but the thought of that world slowly emptying itself as I go makes for a very evocative image. And I can only thumb up the way it's going to push players forward.

Kensuke

You sure you're not confusing him with another dude. Those guys look all pretty similar.

Very sure, It's the only one of the three types that I had difficulty with. I was specifically practicing to dodge his blows. As I've said, he ended up killing me again. After the respawn I went straight for him as usual to practice some more, and he was gone.

Maybe there are multiple systems at work. The first days are always confusing.

somesplace

Neo Member
how are people getting this game?

it says the release date is the 11th, but I can't pre-order on amazon... is it available for digital download?

Jobbs

Banned
No doubt.

Most the scores will be 90ish at the major sites, so yeah.

And I couldn't give less of a fuck what the scores are on a souls game. The metacritic for the best game of all time (to me) is only 89. Moreover, how do you even put a number next to GOTF that means anything when the same numbers have been used to describe MGS4 and such?

just a few random examples:

Dark Souls console metacritic: 89
Gears of War 2 metacritic: 93
MGS4 metacritic: 94
Halo 3 metacritic: 94 (lol)

How does that number mean *anything* to *anyone*?

Steez

Very sure, It's the only one of the three types that I had difficulty with. I was specifically practicing to dodge his blows. As I've said, he ended up killing me again. After the respawn I went straight for him as usual to practice some more, and he was gone.

Maybe there are multiple systems at work. The first days are always confusing.

I mean, you did say that you killed him once and he doesn't respawn after he dies...

edit: Are you part of a covenant or did you burn
bonfire ascetic
?

Deadstar

Well, I don't know about you guys, but the thought of that world slowly emptying itself as I go makes for a very evocative image. And I can only thumb up the way it's going to push players forward.

Will it? If you can't grind souls moving through a level it makes it more difficult.

Uiki

Edit:
To be specific about the area and enemy:
First area in the Tower of Flame. There are three huge enemies very close to the bonfire. The first one wields a sword, the second one a mace and the third one a sword again. I can kill the sword guys easily, but the mace guy has wrecked me a ton of times. This guy with the mace has now disappeared, while enemy 1# and #3, not even a few feet away where mace guy was, are still there. I killed him once and he appeared again after I died at the hands of another enemy further in, so he is not unique or anything.

I got all 3 of them alive and respawning.. But the 3 guys before them are not spawning anymore (I killed them like 10 times).

Later in the game it happens so often that it's bullshit.

Seance

Banned

And I couldn't give less of a fuck what the scores are on a souls game. The metacritic for the best game of all time (to me) is only 89. Moreover, how do you even put a number next to GOTF that means anything when the same numbers have been used to describe MGS4 and such?

What's funny?

Kensuke

I mean, you did say that you killed him once and he doesn't respawn after he dies...

Man, you're making me doubt myself now. Maybe I never killed him, I thought I did, but that was a while ago. Hopefully someone else can confirm if he's special. At the very least I'm sure the last time we met he killed me, because I posted here right after that happened.

I'm not part of a covenant and I haven't used the ascetic.

Guy #1 is now also gone, but I killed him 15 times.

Edit: oops

Steez

I got all 3 of them alive and respawning.. But the 3 guys before them are not spawning anymore (I killed them like 10 times).

Later in the game it happens so often that it's bullshit.

There are no three guys before those. We're talking about the very first three enemies in the area.

Kieli

Unfortunately, some publishers care. :'(

It has costed Oblivion $1,000,000 in bonuses, I believe, because they were off by 1 (they needed 85).

On my PvP builds I stay at level 100 and kill things for fun as I run around waiting to invade/be invaded. Having a big empty world will be kinda lonely. However it seems From really wants to keep hardcore PvP players away from the regular players and it's kinda forcing people who invade to keep leveling up and moving onto Ng+ games.

Jonboy

Anyone else have the Black Armor Edition preordered from Amazon? What's your estimated ship date?

I have Prime, but for some reason, mine isn't expected to ship until Thursday.

fedexpeon

Banned
Man, you're making me doubt myself now. Maybe I never killed him, I thought I did, but that was a while ago. Hopefully someone else can confirm if he's special. At the very least I'm sure the last time we met he killed me, because I posted here right after that happened.

Edit: oops

He is.
He will drop down near you to challenge you, and will disappear if you failed.
He will repeatedly hunting you at certain point in the game until you kill him according to FS...IF we are talking about the same guy.

Kieli

Guys, please have some consideration and take your spoilers to PMs or to the spoiler thread.

I know you were trying to be vague on purpose, but it still reveals some info that some people might not want to know.

I don't mind because I binge-watched everything, though. :D

Uiki

So the areas gradually become enemy-less environments if you die/grind 15+ times?

Not sure about how many times you have to kill them... but yes.

I'm 15 hours in and I got the impression that the enemies that stop spawning are the ones that you can kill and go quickly back to the bonfire and do it again in a short period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom