• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Just hope wherever you go isn't sold out of Black Armor editions, but yeah it's awesome.

I loved that pre-ordering Dark Souls 1 got you the LE, even though they eventually cut it down a little.

hm.....hopefully I still get it.

Is it Tuesday yet

GravyButt

Probably about to get virtual backhanded, but I never played one of these games before? How are they? Kind of getting sick of FPS and sports titles that I typically play, and been eyeballing this after hearing such positives about the others. Inform me gaf, whats it like!?

KarmaCow

Probably about to get virtual backhanded, but I never played one of these games before? How are they? Kind of getting sick of FPS and sports titles that I typically play, and been eyeballing this after hearing such positives about the others. Inform me gaf, whats it like!?

You can probably find Dark Souls or Demon's Souls for $10 in some bargain bin somewhere. Just try it.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

Imagine getting into a mysterious world were every step was engineered to ruthlessly slaughter you in very evil, dark and mischievous ways... ;)

It's like the Counter Strike of ARPG's. Unforgiving, brutal and a game where patience and strategy is everything.

Robot Pants

Yea go play the first. You'll probably love it.

Toxi

Banned
They're very slow-paced action RPGs with a focus on exploration. Don't expect to be given a clear goal in the first Dark Souls. Most of the difficulty is not twitch-based but is instead based on learning patterns or cues from enemies and the environment. It always pays to be cautious as you're just learning the ways of the game.

Robot Pants

Shit, guys. My local street date breaking store will probably have this tomorrow around noon. But probably won't have the black armor edition.

I already have the Black Armor ordered on Amazon but it probably won't get here until late Tuesday and my schedule Tuesday is pretty filled up as well as Wednesday until like 8pm. So I wouldn't even really get to play much until then.

BUT Monday is all clear.
Decisions, guys.....

Edit: NM. They'll have the Black Armor edition. Monday here I come.

The Souls series is probably not as hard as you may think. People tend to overstate it's difficulty to contrast it against stereotypical modern game design. However, I'm not saying it's easy, either. In the Souls games, you need 'respect' the game, i.e. don't underestimate enemies, be patient, take in your surroundings, be prepared, etc. Running into combat without restraint, like in most action games, is going to get you killed quickly. If you keep this in mind, you're probably ready to take one of them on.

I played through Dark Souls for the first time about a month ago, mostly 'blind' (I've never played Demon's Souls and/or watched walkthroughs/let's plays of either game), and managed to complete it, and I'm not particularly amazing at games. If I can do it, so can you!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
GAF, while we wait, what is your top 5 of hardest bosses in each of the Souls games?

Demon Souls

1- False King
2- Flamelurker
3- Penetrator
4- Maneaters
5- Old Monk

Dark Souls

1- Manus
2- Kalameet
3- Ornstein and Smough
4- Artorias
5- Gwyn

Dezzy

Did anyone who played Dark Souls on PC encounter any cheaters? I have a PS3, but I really want to hold out for the PC version, however the thought of invaders using hacks makes me think twice about it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Did anyone who played Dark Souls on PC encounter any cheaters? I have a PS3, but I really want to hold out for the PC version, however the thought of invaders using hacks makes me think twice about it.

Lol there are hackers on PC more than consoles. But maybe this time it might be alright if it uses VAC.

Out of approximately 90 people that I invaded, I think there was one person who took no damage, so...I might have gotten lucky. I was surprised that I didn't face more hackers.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone who played Dark Souls on PC encounter any cheaters? I have a PS3, but I really want to hold out for the PC version, but the thought of invaders using hacks makes me think twice about it.
In my experience they're far more prevalent on PC than PS3. Anything from being able to give you an egg head by hitting you, to 1-hit kills, invincibility, etc. There's even some kind of hack that lets players playing through the game cheat-free turn it on at will if they get invaded. Sometimes you invade someone and they're perfectly damageable/normal but then they suddenly go invincible.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
GAF, while we wait, what is your top 5 of hardest bosses in each of the Souls games?

Demon Souls

1- False King
2- Flamelurker
3- Penetrator
4- Maneaters
5- Old Monk
Old Monk? Really? The AI is piss-easy, and most players are bad... xD

Most DeS bosses can be cheesed, but assuming melee only:

1- Maneaters
2- Flamelurker
3- Meh, everyone else is easy.

Dark Souls (again assuming melee/no cheesing, though most bosses can't be cheesed this time)

1- Manus
2- Kalameet
3- Artorias
4- Ornstein and Smough
5- Bed of Chaos (stupid gimmick but I seem to always die there, every single time, even with the reload trick...)

Gwyn can be hard unless you
parry
him, I guess. Pre-1.05 patch, I used Iron Flesh and spammed my uchi like an idiot. xD

Robot Pants

Demons Souls
1. Man Eaters
2. Flamelurker
3. False King
4. Penetrator
5. Old Monk

Dark Souls
1. Kalameet
2. Artorias
3. Manus
4. Four Kings
5. Ornstein & Smough

Did any of you Amazon dudes have to pay extra for release date delivery? Cuz I just contacted customer service about it and they said I had to pay $4 for it.

Zeliard

Demon's Souls -

1. False King Allant
2. Flamelurker
3. Everyone else

Dark Souls -

1. Kalameet
2. O&S
3. Everyone else

I found Manus to be impressively designed but somewhat disappointing difficulty-wise. Artorias wasn't as much of a pushover but I've never had a hard time with him either. I do however consider Artorias along with Allant to be the best of the Souls bosses in terms of character and encounter design.

And as far as Maneaters, I've never had any problems with them whatsoever. That's more of an environmental challenge; so long as you stay in the wider middle section, there's not much to it.

Dark Souls:
1.Kalameet

2.Bed of Chaos

3.The Four Kings

4.Gwyn

5.Artorias

Probably the bosses I had the most "fuck this game" vibe out of. Still my GOTF

Demon's Souls
1. False King
2. Maneaters
3. Flamelurker

Dark Souls
1. Manus
2. Kalameet
3. Ornstein & Smough

Only listing Top 3 Most Difficult. Every other boss wasn't too bad for me. Bed of Chaos is the worst, Flamelurker and Artorias are the best.

Since I only truly remember my experiences with the Dark Souls bosses..

1. Kalameet's tail
2. Ornstein & Smough (Killing the latter first.)
3. Gwyn or The Four Kings

The easiest was the Capra Demon for me. (The DLC bosses were also fairly predictable, but very well designed and among my favorites.)

Jigorath

Banned
1. Smough and Orenstein
2. Artorias
3. Chaos Witch Quelaag
4. Kalameet
5. Priscilla

I always found the Dark Souls bosses tougher than the Demon Souls ones. The final boss was the only one that gave me trouble, took me a dozen tries to beat him. I was surprised to learn so many people had trouble with Flamelurker, got him on my first try.

200 hours on PC with a ton of PvP. Only faced maybe one or two hackers.

Fhtagn

Demon's
1. Old King Doran (when not using poison or backstab loop)
2. False King Allant
3. Those two black phantom officials in 1-3 pure black tendency that spawn in around you in a narrow corridor.
4. Everything else.

Dark
1. Manus
2. Kalameet (no bow or soul spear)
3. O&S
4. Artorias
5. Gwyn (no parry)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demon's
1. Old King Doran (when not using poison or backstab loop)
Oh, good one. You're right, he's harder than any boss really, if you don't cheese him. He even grasses, the fucker.
3. Those two black phantom officials in 1-3 pure black tendency that spawn in around you in a narrow corridor.
Hahahaha FUCK THOSE GUYS

Disagree about the False King though. Never died against him. Not sure why everyone thinks he's so hard (well at SL1 I'm sure he is, obviously).

Dresden

Demon's Souls:

1. Maneaters - No other boss in the series crushed me as hard as these bros when I first played Demon's, but I suppose I didn't quite have the experience I had with the series back then.

2. Flamelurker - by the time I got to the False King, I was accustomed to the game and didn't have as much trouble. Whereas you could run into Flamelurker very early in the game, and get wrecked if you didn't know what to do.

Dark Souls:

1. Bed of Chaos - fuck you, FROM.

2. Kalameet's tail - fuck this shit

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demon's Souls:

1. Maneaters - No other boss in the series crushed me as hard as these bros when I first played Demon's, but I suppose I didn't quite have the experience I had with the series back then.

2. Flamelurker - by the time I got to the False King, I was accustomed to the game and didn't have as much trouble. Whereas you could run into Flamelurker very early in the game, and get wrecked if you didn't know what to do.

Dark Souls:

1. Bed of Chaos - fuck you, FROM.

2. Kalameet's tail - fuck this shit
Agreed on all counts! Flamelurker wrecked me early on (didn't help that I was still a derpy fatroller, he was much easier once I realized heavy armour was of no help), but by the time I got to the False King I was strong enough to survive any hit, had enough grass to undo his damage, and all his attacks are telegraphed.

I never did get Kalameet's tail, actually. Must be the only thing in Dark Souls I haven't done...

Ordered the PS3 Black Armor Edition and strategy guide from Amazon with estimated delivery date of 3/11 (Prime two day shipping). Still saying "not yet shipped", though. Hopefully there's no issue.

aFIGurANT

Demon's:
1. False King Allant (cheesed him a bit - if you run away he'll start his slow AoE which is interruptable)
2. Maneaters (ended up cheesing this too and still feel bad about it)
3. Old Hero

Dark Souls:
1. Gwyn
2. Manus
3. Kalameet's tail
4. O&S - especially when going at it without Solaire and gunning for O last
5. Artorias

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And you call yourself a (wo)man? That moment pretty much encapsulates the Dark Souls experience.
Well, I don't have any build that uses it. :p Had a STR build at some point but lost it to YLOD before ever getting the DLC. I could try it for the challenge, I suppose. It honestly sounds more tedious than fun, though.

I'd say doing SL 1 run more than qualifies as "the Dark Souls experience". :p

Zeliard

Oh man I totally forgot about Doran. I'm not sure I'd put him up there with the toughest bosses but he was certainly fun as hell to fight. That was a very cool encounter.

With the notable exception of Kalameet I think the relatively normal-sized humanoid bosses are the best ones in the series.

Agreed on all counts! Flamelurker wrecked me early on (didn't help that I was still a derpy fatroller, he was much easier once I realized heavy armour was of no help), but by the time I got to the False King I was strong enough to survive any hit, had enough grass to undo his damage, and all his attacks are telegraphed.

I never did get Kalameet's tail, actually. Must be the only thing in Dark Souls I haven't done...

Kalameet's tail is soo tough to get. He only has 2-3 attacks where his tail is in reach to hit. I had to summon help for that. I love the attack where he "marks" you. Such an awesome animation, and it goes a long way showing how dangerous dragons were (not only physical and fire, but a mystical power as well).

aFIGurANT

Well, I don't have any build that uses it. :p Had a STR build at some point but lost it to YLOD before ever getting the DLC. I could try it for the challenge, I suppose. It honestly sounds more tedious than fun, though.

There's nothing more frustrating than repeated deaths when you know you could kill the bastard in a real fight. I felt like a boss when I finally got it but it is exactly what you're describing: tedious.

Fair enough.

It was definitely a test of patience. (I even resorted to using Chaos Storms, but even that wasn't enough.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom