• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF, while we wait, what is your top 5 of hardest bosses in each of the Souls games?

Demon Souls

1- False King
2- Flamelurker
3- Penetrator
4- Maneaters
5- Old Monk

Dark Souls

1- Manus
2- Kalameet
3- Ornstein and Smough
4- Artorias
5- Gwyn

From Hardest to Easiest:

DeS:
1. False King
2. Maneater
3. Blue Dragon
4. Flamelurker
5. Tower Knight

DkS:
1. Ornstein and Smough
2. Gwyn
3. Bed of Chaos (fuck off)
4. Manus
5. Artorias

Fhtagn

Defeating Kalameet pure melee with a +15 Balder Side Sword was one of my favorite DkS experiences. When the r2 attack wiffed underneath it was so frustrating but I finally got it done.

My first attempt at a speed run where I took down O&S solo in no armor with the gravelord sword at 3:25 into the game was also great. "Hey, maybe I'm decent at this game now."

Toxi

Banned
GAF, while we wait, what is your top 5 of hardest bosses in each of the Souls games?

Demon's Souls
5 - False King (Eh, grass cheese beats him easy)
4 - Armored Spider (here on account of killing me more times in my first playthrough than any other boss)
3 - Flamelurker (Relentless and hits hard)
2 - Maneaters (Two Flamelurkers at once, worst part is how they can knock you off the ledge)
1 - Black phantom giant depraved ones (JESUS CHRIST HOW HORRIFYING)

Dark Souls
5 - Bed of Chaos (Serious bullshit with the bottomless pits)
4 - Ornstein and Smough (I've played it enough to get used to it, but it always keeps me on my toes)
3 - Manus, Father of the Abyss (Combo attacks hurt, as does the sudden forward magic blast)
2 - Black Dragon Kalameet (Fuck that fire breath, I find him harder than Manus)
1 - Four Kings on New Game+ (DIE ALREADY)

Ostinatto

Demon's:

- Flamelurker.
- Maneater.
- False King.
- Old King .
- path between Old Hero and Storm King.

Dark's:

-Artorias
- Four Kings
- Ornstein and Smough
- Manus
- Kalameet

i'm a melee guy, i don't know if the order is the same with a sorcerer.

Grinchy

Banned
My first attempt at a speed run where I took down O&S solo in no armor with the gravelord sword at 3:25 into the game was also great. "Hey, maybe I'm decent at this game now."

How is it possible to fight O&S at 3.5 minutes into the game? Let alone going down to get the gravelord sword first.

I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me, but instead of new Souls game or new King's Field game, I'd like to see From go with a new IP with art in the same vein of Tsutomu Nihei. That would be so good.

I haven't read his work, but some GIS pics I've seen look nice, and I'd love seeing a non-Western take on cyberpunk.

600full-tsutomu-nihei.jpg

There is NaissanceE which takes direct inspiration from Blame.

My screenshots said:

Seance

Banned
Demon's Souls:

1. Maneaters - No other boss in the series crushed me as hard as these bros when I first played Demon's, but I suppose I didn't quite have the experience I had with the series back then.

2. Flamelurker - by the time I got to the False King, I was accustomed to the game and didn't have as much trouble. Whereas you could run into Flamelurker very early in the game, and get wrecked if you didn't know what to do.

Dark Souls:

1. Bed of Chaos - fuck you, FROM.

2. Kalameet's tail - fuck this shit

Nothing for me was as satisfying as slicing off Kalameets tail. When u perfectly bait out that tail slam it's like:"You dun fucked up now KALAMEEEEEET!"

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just had a terrifying thought. In order to get the MSGS I would farm man serpents. On some playthroughs it would take many attempts for the weapon to drop. If monsters no longer spawn and the weapon didn't drop you are forced into another NG+?

I know a few people have already answered, but there were some enemies that didn't respawn in the original as well, and they would usually have 100% drops (albeit often randomized to thwart speed runners ;))

There will probably still be farmable enemies if you're intent on finding a weapon at a certain point, but surely this is something for successive playthroughs once you're more familiar with the layout and what sort of character you're going for? Forgive me for presuming that you'll play it more than once, but it's my understanding that this sort of game isn't designed to be exhausted or farmed on the initial playthrough.

dreamfall

Demon's
- Maneaters (getting knocked off the ledges, and nearly killing one and another shows up?!)
- False King (felt so intense the first go around!)

Dark
- Smough & Ornstein (my goodness, my first playthrough this nearly broke me. NG+, one try)
- Artorias (such an awesome fight, got caught up trying to space it right!)

Maybesew

Just had a terrifying thought. In order to get the MSGS I would farm man serpents. On some playthroughs it would take many attempts for the weapon to drop. If monsters no longer spawn and the weapon didn't drop you are forced into another NG+?

The only mobs that I have noticed stop spawning are hollows that don't drop anything meaningful.

oroboros

Did anyone who played Dark Souls on PC encounter any cheaters? I have a PS3, but I really want to hold out for the PC version, however the thought of invaders using hacks makes me think twice about it.

Honestly hackers totally ruined my Dark Souls play on PC. Bought it and played it late after PC release during some Steam sale after playing PS3 version since game launch. I ran into more cheaters my first day playing on PC then my entire playthrough on PS3. And I really like getting invaded and PvP and all the other online stuff if it's somewhat fair fights, so I just stopped playing on PC.

Robot Pants

How is it possible to fight O&S at 3.5 minutes into the game? Let alone going down to get the gravelord sword first.
You have some YouTube videos to watch.
Basically from Firelink jump below the elevator that goes to the undead parish to find the hidden chests. Inside are eyes of death. Then go to the catacombs, run past the skeletons and use the shortcut to jump down below to where the titanite demon is. Run past him, get more eyes of death, then lay in the coffin until nito summons you.

Grinchy

Banned
You have some YouTube videos to watch.

I remember people talking about a Sen's skip that seemed like it turned out to be BS, so I thought the guy might have really gotten there in 3 minutes. I think someone was able to fall through the map or something too.

Basically from Firelink jump below the elevator that goes to the undead parish to find the hidden chests. Inside are eyes of death. Then go to the catacombs, run past the skeletons and use the shortcut to jump down below to where the titanite demon is. Run past him, get more eyes of death, then lay in the coffin until nito summons you.
Oh well yeah of course. Now do that and get to O&S in 3.5 minutes lol...

Kalnos

Banned
Regarding cheaters in the PC version...

I have 128hrs on Steam (double-dipped) for Dark Souls 1 and I ran into probably 8 or so blatant cheaters. 7 of them using infinite HP and 1 of them using a level draining hack (which is fixed entirely by a mod). I ran into all of these cheaters invading in Anor Londo / Dukes / Catacombs when I spent probably 100 hours of my playtime ganking people.

You can either spend your time trying to kick them off a ledge (which is hilarious) or you can just use the Black Separation Crystal and leave.

TLDR: There are some cheaters, it's overblown, and I didn't really get bent out of shape about it because the penalty for dying in Dark Souls 1 is so minor (there is none really).

Robot Pants

I remember people talking about a Sen's skip that seemed like it turned out to be BS, so I thought the guy might have really gotten there in 3 minutes. I think someone was able to fall through the map or something too.

Oh well yeah of course. Now do that and get to O&S in 3.5 minutes lol...
I think he was saying 3 hours and five minutes.

Fhtagn

Heh. 3hrs25min. My first speed run went wrong over and over again. Took me a long time to get the sword, and then I realized I had the wrong starting class and had to level dex... after I'd already dumped early cheap levels into vit. So I didn't even really get going until an hour and a half in. It was a ton of fun to try it and I ended up taking it slower in the second half and got to the kiln at 12 hours. Worthwhile experience/change of pace if like me you usually take in the sights and always do everything optional.

yami4ct

Was going to wait until the PC version hit, but that's honestly too long for me. So much will be out by then that I won't be able to give DS2 the attention it deserves. Will grab it on PS3 on Friday. Sadly, too busy with courses this week to grab it on launch.

Only place Dark Souls so far, but the toughest bosses for me in that game were.

1.Artorias (seriously, screw that guy's speed)
2. Ornstein and Smough
3. Manus
4. Gwyn
5. Neeto (shouldn't have been that hard, but for some reason really tripped me up)

OH SNAP! Amazon is shipping Dark Souls 2 now!!! My status shows shipping now!

And for me...

Demon's Souls:
Flamelurker
False King
Maneater
Armor Spider
Penetrator

Dark Souls:
Manus
Kalameet
Ornstein and Smough
Four Kings
Gwyn

Clockwork5

Probably about to get virtual backhanded, but I never played one of these games before? How are they? Kind of getting sick of FPS and sports titles that I typically play, and been eyeballing this after hearing such positives about the others. Inform me gaf, whats it like!?

Sword fightin, spell casting, axe swinging, rollin out of the way, blockin with your shield, potion drinkin and dying. Its a lot of fun :)

Fuck Americans and their March 11 release. Rest of world gets violently shafted as usual.

My friend took the whole week off work (wish I could do that!) thinking it came out on the 11th. I was like, "no, buddy that's US only. For you it comes out on the 13th." His face looked like I'd just diagnosed him with cancer.

My friend took the whole week off work (wish I could do that!) thinking it came out on the 11th. I was like, "no, buddy that's US only. For you it comes out on the 13th." His face looked like I'd just diagnosed him with cancer.

He could get the digital version via North America PSN and play it that way.

Seance

Banned
Is there a way to get the digital version on the 11th by like making a U.S account and playing the game on a non-US account for the 360?

I was contemplating getting Titanfall day one just to get through the agonizing 3 day wait.. but I'll probably stick to my plan of buying it after I finish DS2. I don't want to juggle two games I'm very excited for.

I've got Tuesday and Wednesday off work.

Monday will be a loooooong day. Monday night and part of Tuesday morning are being refashioned into a David Lynch movie marathon, including the following: Eraserhead, Mulholland Dr., Lost Highway, and Inland Empire. I want to be in a weird state of mind when I start DS.

Seance

Banned
I've got Tuesday and Wednesday off work.

Monday will be a loooooong day. Monday night and part of Tuesday morning are being refashioned into a David Lynch movie marathon, including the following: Eraserhead, Mulholland Dr., Lost Highway, and Inland Empire. I want to be in a weird state of mind when I start DS.

Just take drugs like a normal person.

hmm, you'd have to start a whole new account, right? He still likes his box copies of things but I'll mention it.

Yeah, you gotta make a new US account. Use Google maps to get a random US address. Dunno if you can use a non US credit card, but you can get PSN cards from Amazon or elsewhere online.

While the lighting downgrade is somewhat disappointing, it hasn't really affected my excitement for this game. The Souls games have never been about graphics for me. I remember when I first saw gameplay footage of Demon's Souls, it wasn’t much of a looker. What drew me in immediately was the atmosphere and the unique gameplay/combat. It impressed me so much that I imported the Asian version so that I could get my hands on it before it even hit NA. Most everything I have seen about this game appears to remain true to what makes Souls games great, so I am looking forward to Tuesday.

On another note, I’m planning to go with a Paladin build in my first play through. I’m torn on starting classes between Knight and Cleric. What say you GAF?

Tell your friend I will live his dream this week. Dark Souls Vaca Week started yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom