• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
yeah "a guide won't stop you from dying.." LOL
Awesome_Series_Awesome_Gaiden_f861f714443d83f7f1d95984cc5b9888.gif

Impending Amazon horror stories of CE start this time tomorrow. Best Buy packs their stuff pretty good so mine are 9/10 and 7.5-8/10 i'd say.

This thing is far bigger than I expected. BTW I can't play it my personal copy is on 360 and store pickup tomorrow. :/

Beautiful. Statue is better than I expected.

Steez

Which area are you talking about? Are you talking about
the Forest of Fallen Giants of Majula?
?

Yup. There was so much to explore and to loot. As I said, it took me almost two hours to reach
The Last Giant.

Anyway, I think you may have understood me wrong. The area's do have a lot of branching paths. But very few are huge open spaces, in the way Blighttown is for example. DaK2 is more linear in when you choose one of those branching paths. Example:
Heide's tower offers two paths initially, so in that way it is open. However, even though it kinda looks like Anor Londo, it isn't nearly as big an open space, It doesn't have a ton of nooks and cranies within that space.

Well, not every area is going to be incredibly open. Dark Souls 1 had a few areas that split just in two directions like Heide's. And again, Forest of Fallen Giants provides exactly what you ask for and there are many more locations like that.

What other points do you disagree with specifically? I also said there are too many bonfires. Example:
In the Forest of Fallen Giants I've unlocked 3 so far. However, only #2 (with the merchant) feels essential. I never warp to #1 and #3. They are almost pointless. I can also reach those area's easy and fast from #2.

Well, specifically that the areas are smaller and more linear.
Heide's is the only area I've encountered so far (a bit over 10 hours in), that amounts to Lower Undead Burg linearity.

Regarding bonfires:
If the bonfires do not feel essential to you, or don't provide you with some sort of unfair advantage, then how are they so bad? Or is it just the amount that bothers you for some weird reason? I have troubles understanding that particular criticism to be honest.

ironcreed

Banned
I actually really liked this track, remember watching this trailer over and over again before release.

Still, modern pop-rock for Dark Souls? The same 'casul' argument can be made for that song and how out of place it is as well. That's all I am saying. But not like it matters, they are doing the same kind of marketing for Dark Souls II and it in no way reflects on the actual OST. Thankfully, lol.

Toxi

Banned
Oh come on, really?

Day 1 patches are so ridiculously common these days...
I guess.
Nah. It's the lighting patch :)
I have a feeling it isn't. :-( If it is a lighting patch, I'll eat Velka yet again.
Impending Amazon horror stories of CE start this time tomorrow. Best Buy packs their stuff pretty good so mine are 9/10 and 7.5-8/10 i'd say.

This thing is far bigger than I expected. BTW I can't play it my personal copy is on 360 and store pickup tomorrow. :/
IT IS HUGE

IT MUST HAVE HUGE GUTS

Kieli

Feel free to waste your time on whatever arbitrary nonsense you like.

:lol:lol:lol

Thank you. I wasn't quite sure whether or not I was allowed to think that trailer music could be bad, but since you graciously granted me permission, I think I will.

Thank you so much, your highness.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
:lol:lol:lol

Thank you. I wasn't quite sure whether or not I was allowed to think that trailer music could be bad, but since you graciously granted me permission, I think I will.

Thank you so much, your highness.

Actually that permission did not extend to you.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh im deathly serious. Infact not only did i cancel my ds2 pre order but i also snapped my ds disc in half.

You sound remarkably passive-agressive over my opinion of a trailer. Is the wait until the game releases getting to you these final hours, you silly hollow you?

There is no need to be upset.

Kensuke

Regarding area's:
I've been through quite a few area's now. Dark Souls had Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, the library and a few other huge open area's. I'm just not seeing that same level of openness with DaK2. Forest of Fallen Giants approaches it, No Man's Wharf also, but not on that same level and not as often.

Bonfires.
They are not essential in the sense that they are not placed at crucial points in the area's. Finding a bonfire in Dark Souls was sometimes exhilarating, I was sometimes practically begging to find one. You only reached a bonfire after overcoming various trials. In DaK2 bonfires are more common and seem to be placed much closer to each other, lessening the achievement of reaching one.

Kieli

You sound remarkably passive-agressive over my opinion of a trailer. Is the wait until the game releases getting to you these final hours, you silly hollow you?

The true Dark Souls... is the wait before release date.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I'm still holding out for a fan made re-cut using one wing angel or one of the faster GGX tracks.
Yes i am kidding

Mupod

The Giant Bomb dot com quick look will be up soon but I don't think I want to watch it until after I play.

yeah, the dark souls 1 quick look was all kinds of hilarious but it's also one of the reasons I'm avoiding watching gameplay of 2. For example I knew where Andre and his bonfire were because of the QL, I would have preferred to stumble upon them on my own.

Hopefully Dark Souls 2 doesn't put off Brad Demon's Souls for too long. I need to watch him scream at lizards some more.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Everybody cross your fingers that I make enough money tonight to justify buying this game tomorrow.

Toxi

Banned
Okay, spoiler people, I need to spoil myself and ask... Is there a ship graveyard area? Because one of my favorite ideas for a Dark Souls level has always been a ship graveyard filled with hollowed galley slaves and pirates, sea monsters, ghosts, etc. Something like Nephalia Drownyard.
nephalia-drownyard-730x280.png

Make sure to spoil your answer.
I'm still holding out for a fan made re-cut using one wing angel or one of the faster GGX tracks.
Yes i am kidding
One Wing Angel... I remember the late 90's and early 2000's when One Wing Angel was still considered "the best boss theme ever".

It's amazing what a decade can do.
Everybody cross your fingers that I make enough money tonight to justify buying this game tomorrow.
Try Humanity.

Deadstar

I really do. If you could, please give us a head up when it's live!

Looks like it will go up at 9 pm. That will make it much easier to skip for me.

yeah, the dark souls 1 quick look was all kinds of hilarious but it's also one of the reasons I'm avoiding watching gameplay of 2. For example I knew where Andre and his bonfire were because of the QL, I would have preferred to stumble upon them on my own.

Hopefully Dark Souls 2 doesn't put off Brad Demon's Souls for too long. I need to watch him scream at lizards some more.

Ha, yeah I will definitely watch the QL but only until I play for a few hours myself.

bidguy

Banned
Regarding area's:
I've been through quite a few area's now. Dark Souls had Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, the library and a few other huge open area's. I'm just not seeing that same level of openness with DaK2. Forest of Fallen Giants approaches it, No Man's Wharf also, but not on that same level and not as often.

Bonfires.
They are not essential in the sense that they are not placed at crucial points in the area's. Finding a bonfire in Dark Souls was sometimes exhilarating, I was sometimes practically begging to find one. You only reached a bonfire after overcoming various trials. In DaK2 bonfires are more common and seem to be placed much closer to each other, lessening the achievement of reaching one.

another franchise catering to the weak

thanks from

Steez

Regarding area's:

Forest of Fallen Giants, The Lost Bastille, Shady (?) Woods, Huntsman Copse and a more are easily on par with the areas you mentioned.

Bonfires.

This is such a minor and nitpicky complaint. There are still those crucial bonfires and the more unimportant ones do not really ruin that for me. Also, I imagine that veterans have a much easier time clearing areas in Dark Souls 2, so it's somewhat hard to compare.

ironcreed

Banned
Forest of Fallen Giants, The Lost Bastille, Shady (?) Woods, Huntsman Copse and a more are easily on par with the areas you mentioned.

This is such a minor and nitpicky complaint. There are still those crucial bonfires and the more unimportant ones do not really ruin that for me. Also, I imagine that veterans have a much easier time clearing areas in Dark Souls 2, so it's somewhat hard to compare.

Good to hear.

Jobbs

Banned
Just a quick simple question to those that have played, as I'm avoiding everything.

Is this game harder or easier then DS1?

Depending on who you ask and when you ask it, it's casule and dumbed down and easymode now, or it's way harder and more punishing now. Seriously.

Gbraga

Also, I imagine that veterans have a much easier time clearing areas in Dark Souls 2, so it's somewhat hard to compare.

This is a very valid point, my first playthrough of Dark Souls was pretty much a Survival Horror game, but now it's even kinda weird that I felt so desperate for a bonfire since they all seem so easy to reach. Just beating Dark Souls probably gives you enough knowledge of the game's systems to make going from bonfire to bonfire something trivial.

It would be nice to know what someone new to the franchise have to say about this.

Uiki

the tradeoff to demon's souls stages being disconnected was they were much more focused and better designed as stages than a lot of dark souls
do we have that in ds2 at least?
or is it just disconnected dark souls 1 stages?
if so...downgrade

Not even close to demon, especially on later stages.

Kensuke

I don't agree they are on par, but I guess we just have different opinions on this.

I never said it was a huge flaw. I wouldn't say it's minor and nitpicky though, how much this issue matters to someone is personal.

I'm just doing an observation. There are more bonfires, and they are closer to each other. I find that a bit unfortunate, but YMMV.

Even though I'm a fan of Dark Souls and completed it. I'm still feeling pretty intimidated and scared shitless to play this game. I can already feel my nervousness creeping up at just the thought of exploring the unknown in a new Dark Souls game is terrifying. I think that's what I love about the series. It's dark ,creepy, intense, scary, and yet an adventurous, action, exploration game. Love it.

ironcreed

Banned
Are they though, say, compared to Dark Souls Durante?

I have only played it on consoles. Anyway, I have seen nearly the entire game of Dark Souls II being played and it is without question better looking than Dark Souls I. Even things like glorious cloth physics and other effects that I will not spoil are in. I imagine it is only going to be even nicer on PC. Trust me, when more people actually play it and see some of the environments they will change their tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom