• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
It is such an obvious upgrade.

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-17-2.png

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-14-1.png

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-9-1.png

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-1-2.png

And no dark areas?

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-4-1.png

After hearing about the limited respawn mechanic I'm having a similar reaction to this game that i did to Lightning Returns when i found out about the time limit mechanic. Incredible amount of excitement to almost none at all.
Even with the item that makes the enemies respawn in that particular area a few more times it doesn't seem to help my feelings about it

I just like to explore a game and do things at my pace. If i feel like overleveling a bit or farming an areas for hours for a rare item then so be it.

It's a damn shame because i've been looking forward to this game for such a long time.

Played for 6 hours on saturday. Game is avaiable since then at Games Castle Hamburg, Germany.

Started as a Sorcerer because I haven't played a magic class in Demons' Souls/Dark Souls. I loved both games and also replayed Dark Souls on PC.

... Game is hard as fuck. 2-3 Soul Arrows for a normal enemy... OK, I can live with that.

I killed three bosses so far SPOILERS:
Last Giant, Dragonrider? and Pursueder with the cheap environment way
. I have two places I know I can go to now, one of these has an old buddy boss which just kills me in hit a or two. The other place is just dark and I hate it lol.

I pumped some points in INT (currently 25 INT), a few in endurance and another few in attunment for more spell slots (got great soul arrows and another pack of Soul Arrows) and another few in this new agility stat, so that I don't die if I just want to roll around or drink something refreshing.

Still... the game in my opinion is way harder than Dark Souls. Warping for this game is a blessing because you can explore different ways faster and a little bit less frustrating.

Graphics are better than DKS, movement is a stat thing, but I didn't need much time to get conformtable with that. Healing items are rare and I just don't want to die anymore.

There is also (not exactly a spoiler but interesting!)
There is gravestone which shows how many people died worldwide lol

I love this game so far. More of Dark Souls with better animations and environment. Awesome soundtrack and customizing and exploring are awesome.

P.S. I hate traps. I just hate them.

What version and how's the framerate?

ironcreed

Banned
These look great, but there does seem to be a lack of contrast making them look flat.

Whatever. My point is that it without a doubt looks better than Dark Souls I. Hell, I'm still fine with those visuals, so something that is another notch above that is just fine by me. Can't ask for more on these old consoles.

Uiki

So I killed a NPC and
now there's a gravestone asking me for souls to make him respawn.

What the fuck?

So I killed a NPC and

What the fuck?

That was in the beta. It's to prevent yourself from being able to permanently lose important NPCs like in Demons, but still punishing you with what I heard was a high soul cost.

Uiki

That was in the beta. It's to prevent yourself from being able to permanently lose important NPCs like in Demons, but still punishing you with what I heard was a high soul cost.

Well. Not so high in this case.

I liked the fact that it was permanent :|

vehn

Forest of Fallen Giants, The Lost Bastille, Shady (?) Woods, Huntsman Copse and a more are easily on par with the areas you mentioned.

This is such a minor and nitpicky complaint. There are still those crucial bonfires and the more unimportant ones do not really ruin that for me. Also, I imagine that veterans have a much easier time clearing areas in Dark Souls 2, so it's somewhat hard to compare.

not really a spoiler but
this is not true at all (game being easier). I beat DS 3-4x, got the platinum for DaS, but with this game I literally died around 200 times just doing the first two bosses (counting of course all the regular mobs between everything). Future runs should be much easier as I'll know the strategy to defeat stuff and will have the right weps. For some later bosses I died like 30x on, but when I came back later with a better wep / more levels it only took me a few tries to kill it. Just...prepare to die. Maybe it was just me though wielding poopy weps and not dodging right!

Sullichin

So I killed a NPC and

What the fuck?

Aw, I don't like this :(

I remember killing Blacksmith Ed and going through a whole new NG+ Cycle just so I could upgrade my weapon again. Good times

Gbraga

I was in total media blackout.

I can only imagine how disappointing it was to find that out during the game. At least knowing before I had time to say "fuck this shit", and then get over it.

Most of those changes aren't game changing by themselves, and it's the kind of thing you can get over easily, but when you put them all together, the focus on making it more "accessible" is very obvious. Some people think it's great, I'm not so sure I'll like it.

I remember killing Blacksmith Ed and going through a whole new NG+ Cycle just so I could upgrade my weapon again. Good times

On my first playthrough I accidentaly hit Vamos, and I didn't know about asking for forgiveness, so I just killed him and had to deal with it, it was awful, but it was great.

Oni3298

Well. that's a nice spin to it..

I mean, truthfully, how is this a bad thing?

I know plenty of people, myself included who have accidentally killed NPCs in previous souls games. If you have the intention of killing them, then don't revive them.

If you accidentally kill them, this is a great alternative.

Is it just knowing that you can revive them that bothers you?

Uiki

Same thing happened to me in demon.

I can only imagine how disappointing it was to find that out during the game. At least knowing before I had time to say "fuck this shit", and then get over it.

Most of those changes aren't game changing by themselves, and it's the kind of thing you can get over easily, but when you put them all together, the focus on making it more "accessible" is very obvious. Some people think it's great, I'm not so sure I'll like it.

On my first playthrough I accidentaly hit Vamos, and I didn't know about asking for forgiveness, so I just killed him and had to deal with it, it was awful, but it was great.

It's exactly what I think.

Raxious

So I killed a NPC and

What the fuck?

It's a way for complete newcomers to not immediately fuck up their game by accidentally killing an NPC and become unable to use that NPC.

If u don't want to respawn him u can.

Uiki

I know plenty of people, myself included who have accidentally killed NPCs in previous souls games. If you have the intention of killing them, then don't revive them.

(You can't hit them accidentally either. You need to land like 5 or 6 blows to anger them.)

I think that why this sucks it's explained already.

It's a way for complete newcomers to not immediately fuck up their game by accidentally killing an NPC and become unable to use that NPC.

Yep. Just watch the Jeff Green stream when he's backing away from some skeletons and accidentally hits Patches (who he hadn't even met), and you can see why FROM have made this an option.

Why are you comparing console impressions to a PC version realized by an optimization demigod?

This scene looks cozy as hell. I hope this is where you go to level up.

Yeah I guess that's not fair. What I'm getting as though is.. and I guess we can't know for sure until the PC version comes around, but for whatever reason Dark Souls 1 became glorious looking at high resolutions, like it had these massive textures there in the console versions all along. I'm hoping the potential will be there in Dark Souls 2 as well.

Why are you comparing console impressions to a PC version realized by an optimization demigod?

Yeah I guess that's not fair. What I'm getting as though is.. and I guess we can't know for sure until the PC version comes around, but for whatever reason Dark Souls 1 became glorious looking at high resolutions, like it had these massive textures there in the console versions all along. I'm hoping the potential will be there in Dark Souls 2 as well.

vehn

I killed the NPC in the main town, the
girl you level up / give estus shards to, and I didn't see any gravestone or anything, so I think she's perma gone for that playthrough. Meaning I can't level up anymore :(

I killed the NPC in the main town, the
girl you level up / give estus shards to, and I didn't see any gravestone or anything, so I think she's perma gone for that playthrough. Meaning I can't level up anymore :(

LOL that sucks dude but that is the best thing i have read all day.

If the game doesn't deliver as-is I'm sure Durante will think of something.

Gbraga

If you wanted some NPC drop in the first game, you had to consider if it's worth not having them for the rest of the game, and time your killings, like killing the fire keepers when you know there's nothing else there you want, now it's just an item you can buy, you pay the price to revive them and their loot is yours.

stupei

I dipped into media blackout about midway through details being revealed so just wondering if there's anything known about the gods that have been mentioned as possibly playing a role in gameplay. Even just names and such?

Cancelled my preorder on Amazon because they still hadn't updated my shipping info (and I don't care too much about having a physical copy) so I went on the PS Store only to find that it is down for maintenance. :(

Shinjica

Not this argument again...

Why people dont start dealing with conseguences? I dont understand why we need help for every mistake we made.

I killed too a merchant in DS and what? I simply deal with it and move along.

It is such an obvious upgrade.
dayum-dayum-dayum-better-speed.gif

I'm soooo ready
Cancelled my preorder on Amazon because they still hadn't updated my shipping info (and I don't care too much about having a physical copy) so I went on the PS Store only to find that it is down for maintenance. :(

From my experience, do not cancel any kind of amazon preorder. especially if the preorder is in limited supply like CE etc. Just return it if you change your mind. Contact amazon, maybe they can still find a way to get you your DS2.

TehWhite

Neo Member
just picked up this game today. its loading as i type this. hopefully its good. the comments in here are scary lol. I couldnt wait for pc so I caved.

Vlade

Not this argument again...

Why people dont start dealing with conseguences? I dont understand why we need help for every mistake we made.

I killed too a merchant in DS and what? I simply deal with it and move along.

My #teampermanence sense is tingling.

If you revive an NPC that offers a service, their service should somehow be impaired in their temporary resurrected form. If they were a merchant, half of their inventory is gone. If they're a blacksmith, they can only improve your gear to +5 or something. That's a system I'd like to see anyway.

blacksnakeball

Neo Member
Hate the DS3 and want to play with a wired DS4. Does anyone know if Dark Souls 2 will support this? Assuming it is supported, will I lose much by giving up vibration, motion control and the PS button for this game?

Zukuu

Banned
after reading all the pyromancy spells, it sounds ridiculous op in pvp.

Hate the DS3 and want to play with a wired DS4. Does anyone know if Dark Souls 2 will support this? Assuming it is supported, will I lose much by giving up vibration, motion control and the PS button for this game?
it works apart from the home button

neoemonk

This game is inspiring some serious schizophrenia in me. Several times today I've gone back and forth between "I'll wait for PC" and "I'm going to Walmart to try to get this at midnight and then calling in sick tomorrow".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom