• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half a day left, people!

I think I'll go sleep in 3 hours so I can get up at 5AM tomorrow, watch Giantbomb's Quick Look then wait until the release at 8AM.

This game is inspiring some serious schizophrenia in me. Several times today I've gone back and forth between "I'll wait for PC" and "I'm going to Walmart to try to get this at midnight and then calling in sick tomorrow".

Listen to the voices.....Go to the walmart.....

Quikies83

Time off has been approved for tomorrow and wednesday! Fantastic.
Now if I could just get my text from Gamestop telling me my PS3 Collectors Edition will be ready for pickup tonight at midnight....

Nintyb

Banned
My Amazon order has been "preparing for shipment" all day. If I don't receive it tomorrow, I'm going to be very pissed considering I paid $20 for shipping.

This game is inspiring some serious schizophrenia in me. Several times today I've gone back and forth between "I'll wait for PC" and "I'm going to Walmart to try to get this at midnight and then calling in sick tomorrow".

Coin flip: The answer to all 2 choice decisions in life.

Sane_Man

If you feel that way now there's no way in hell you'll be able to resist the urge long-term, so just go buy it tonight and have fun.

Swuabino

I think the reaction to the enemy despawns has been blown way out of proportion. I was concerned as well, but after about 25 hours of playtime, it really hasn't been an issue at all. For soul farming, your level will generally outpace your rate of soul intake by the time you eliminate an area's population. For example, I spent a while early on running a route that netted ~1200 souls per run. By the time the enemies went 'extinct', I was at an SL that required around 5000 souls to level, making that run pretty inefficient anyway. At that point, my character was also more than strong enough to handle the next 3-4 bosses.

From an item standpoint, I can see the concern, but I don't believe it's been an issue so far. I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard a rumor that enemies will drop their 'quota' before they despawn, so you should be able to collect whatever items you need before it kicks in. Even if that's not the case, it's really no different from the crystal lizards in Demon's Souls, or the Black Knights in Dark Souls.

Also, as other posters mentioned, there's always the
Bonfire Ascetic

sixghost

After the PC date was announced I just went out and ordered a copy of the 360 version. I'll probably just buy the PC version when it gets down to $15-20.

Gbraga

I think the reaction to the enemy despawns has been blown way out of proportion. I was concerned as well, but after about 25 hours of playtime, it really hasn't been an issue at all. For soul farming, your level will generally outpace your rate of soul intake by the time you eliminate an area's population. For example, I spent a while early on running a route that netted ~1200 souls per run. By the time the enemies went 'extinct', I was at an SL that required around 5000 souls to level, making that run pretty inefficient anyway. At that point, my character was also more than strong enough to handle the next 3-4 bosses.

From an item standpoint, I can see the concern, but I don't believe it's been an issue so far. I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard a rumor that enemies will drop their 'quota' before they despawn, so you should be able to collect whatever items you need before it kicks in. Even if that's not the case, it's really no different from the crystal lizards in Demon's Souls, or the Black Knights in Dark Souls.

Also, as other posters mentioned, there's always the
Soul Vessel

You're probably right, but I still don't get the point then.

If the best case scenario is "it makes no difference", why change it in the first place?

Doombear

My assumption after hearing about the NPC gravestones long ago, was that it was less to coddle the player and more to combat invaders that would grief you. With the invader's sole intention being to get you to accidentally harm your own NPCs. I just assumed this change was made to entirely make that nastiness a moot point.

Fuck me. I finally have a delivery estimate for the game and it's the 13th. I don't think I can wait that long.

Amazon just updated mine to the 13th as well. Said screw that and cancelled my order. I am either going to Gamestop tonight or buying digital.

Astral

Amazon just updated mine to the 13th as well. Said screw that and cancelled my order. I am either going to Gamestop tonight or buying digital.

Can you pre-order games the day before release on Gamestop? I did that for God of War 3 and they gave it to me but I don't know if they still do that.

Robot Pants

Good old Amazon. Killing us slowly inside, and from within our wallets.
My local shop needs to get this thing already. They said between 12-3. It better be soon.

Or else I'll.....I'll....just keep waiting!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Had time to reflect on the amount I've played this weekend, and my conclusion of the first 30ish hours: great game, but it's not DkS I level.

- The levels are fun to play through, but very few are truly memorable or iconic, like Sen's/Anor Londo in DkS.
- I agree that the world doesn't feel as organic as Lordran in Dark Souls. Sometimes the difference between one area and the next is so stark, that it feels like you're just playing different theme levels, with a bonfire in between.
- Boss fights are generally fun, some memorable fights in this game. The designs however, do not feel as imaginative as the other games, Dark Souls in particular. There's one ridicilous fight that's terrible in both departments: looks like shit, no fun to play. I even wonder how it got into the game. There's also a not so subtle
rehash of Quelaag
- Regular enemies have great design throughout, fighting through an area for the first time is always fun.

Playing some more tonight, I think there's quite a bit left for me. Make no mistake about it: DkS II is pretty damn big

If you revive an NPC that offers a service, their service should somehow be impaired in their temporary resurrected form. If they were a merchant, half of their inventory is gone. If they're a blacksmith, they can only improve your gear to +5 or something. That's a system I'd like to see anyway.

i wouldn't, that is dumb. It's best the way it is now. You are punished if a NPC dies but it's not going to greatly alter your game. The way it was set up in Demons Souls was garbage

Yep. Just watch the Jeff Green stream when he's backing away from some skeletons and accidentally hits Patches (who he hadn't even met), and you can see why FROM have made this an option.

iouPFEx1XFpId.gif

Oni3298

I am going to be so sad if this happens to me as well... currently still says preparing for shipment. =[

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That sounds kinky

Might use that line this weekend at the bar

Ey baby I'm about to invade your world.
I know you got that humanity, you're a 9 and I'm the 1 you need.
My chaos Zweihander gonna make you praise the sun.
I'm about to put on my mask of the father so you can call me daddy souls

deadeye

Only a few hours left. I can't wait. My friend got the 360 version yesterday and I played a few hours of it. Started as a swordsman, cause I just wanted to get the basics of the new mechanics, and I killed a lot of NPCs that I wouldn't do on a normal play through just to see what items they would drop. It just made the wait even harder to bear. Starting as a Deprived is not going to be an easy task, but I am up for the challenge. At least I was able to find where a few items are so it helps out. Now if only midnight would hurry up and get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom