• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voror

I wonder what the chances of PS4 and XBox One versions are. I thought I saw something about it being something to maybe see down the line.

Brohan

I wonder what the chances of PS4 and XBox One versions are. I thought I saw something about it being something to maybe see down the line.

I hope it comes to the PS4 eventually but i'm not waiting for it, i'll probably double dip if the game does release on the PS4 though.

mattp

It's different. It's more similar to demon's souls.

The main thing is that the world feels disconnected, like a series of stand alone stages.

Yeah, shortcuts are there... but not as "clever" as before. And sometimes the level design just don't make sense (hard to say what it's wrong without spoiling something, just wait till your reach
no man's wharf
).

It's missing the sense of wonder and it's hard to describe exactly why.

I fucking love souls games.

the tradeoff to demon's souls stages being disconnected was they were much more focused and better designed as stages than a lot of dark souls
do we have that in ds2 at least?
or is it just disconnected dark souls 1 stages?
if so...downgrade

My Amazon order states delivery tomorrow and it is preparing to ship. I finished up Batman Origins, now there's nothing in my way. So ready!

Toxi

Banned
So what class should I go with if I'm just going pure sword and shield? Warrior or Knight?
Bandit has the least stats in magic stats, so it's the best if you won't be using any magic. You'll have to pick up the sword and shield, though, but usually those are easy to find.

Brohan

Oh snap, just got an email that the distribution centre packed and sent the order!!

Wonder if i might get it today.., best thing is that the official release date here in the EU is the 14th.

Jack cw

Depends on what Froms next project is. Demons2 is heavily rumored to be in development for PS4. If thats true, a port would be rather unlikely.

Toxi

Banned
It begins....
1359106176414.gif

Depends on what Froms next project is. Demons2 is heavily rumored to be in development for PS4. If thats true, a port would be rather unlikely.

They said there's no chance of that unless Sony give it the go ahead.

Would rather they do something else as Dark Souls is basically a sequel to Demon's Souls anyway!

Maybe a larger adventure game, set in medievil times?

ironcreed

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked a lot.
When will the game be available for download on US-PSN?
Tomorrow at midnight or sometimes at Grace Chen time, when the store usually updates?

Thanks in advance.

After midnight tonight. Probably by 12:30. This is always the case for me in the Eastern time zone on day one digital games.

Mine is shipping early from Amazon today. Hyped!

I'm glad since I didn't think I would get it since I didn't have a date up until last week. Ordered February 7th.

I just realized, I don't have any clue what my starting class will be. I usually end up with a sword and shield, but in DS1 I used pyromancy a lot.

Voror

I hope it comes to the PS4 eventually but i'm not waiting for it, i'll probably double dip if the game does release on the PS4 though.

I may as well depending on how much I end up enjoying this one.

Well, either is fine I suppose though an all new project is more appealing to me personally.

Tucah

you speak so well
I talked to a customer service rep on Amazon about my order that hadn't shipped yet. She didn't know anything (she even told me the game didn't have a release date yet), told me she couldn't do anything and to wait because it'll ship eventually. Almost immediately after my order was Preparing for Shipment. I don't know what happened but hey, I'll take it.

The final day.

Still undecided how much I'd like to utilize the excellent DSII community here on GAF as I progress through the game. On one hand it's fun to figure everything out on your own, but in a game like this that's not always possible. I actually feel the games are designed in a way to encourage information trading on forums like this. So we'll see, you might see less of me tomorrow or you might not see me at all until the game is finished. Probably depends on if I get stuck!

-Ryn

Banned
The final day.

Still undecided how much I'd like to utilize the excellent DSII community here on GAF as I progress through the game. On one hand it's fun to figure everything out on your own, but in a game like this that's not always possible. I actually feel the games are designed in a way to encourage information trading on forums like this. So we'll see, you might see less of me tomorrow or you might not see me at all until the game is finished. Probably depends on if I get stuck!
Tell us of your adventures.
Which version you getting?

Astral

Everyone's package is preparing for shipment and mine still hasn't shipped. I'll refrain from refreshing it every 5 minutes.

-Ryn

Banned
PS3 collector's edition, shipping now!

I suppose I won't be able to resist poking my head in here and giving a victory shout every time I surpass a boss.
Nice man. I'm getting the collector's edition too.
1024x576.resizedimage

Sadly though mine if on the 360 so I guess I won't be seeing your summon sign...

Brohan

PS3 collector's edition, shipping now!

I suppose I won't be able to resist poking my head in here and giving a victory shout every time I surpass a boss.

This paladin is a bit more modest, no victory bragging here.

Totally lying, gonna let my cries of victory be heard!

Steez

I noticed the same thing. I think it's because area's are smaller and more linear now. I haven't seen anything nearly as big as Blighttown of Undead Burg. A new area immediately introduces a new theme, so if you go from area to area you end up feeling that the world is disconnected.

There are also way too many bonfires. And the warping makes it easy to just ignore certain area's after you beat them. There is no need for the clever shortcuts because of the warping. There is less exploring, less huge open spaces hiding mysteries. That's whats diminishing the sense of wonder.

Erm... are we playing the same game? I disagree with almost every point you made in those two paragraphs. The first area is so huge and has so many nooks and crannies, that it took me almost two hours to reach the first boss.

I do agree that the world changes its themes too fast. Some transitions are a bit jarring.

So far there is one instance where warping kinda fucks with the progression and I imagine a lot of people getting stuck at that certain point in the game. Other than that, I have no problems with the warp mechanic. The game starts out very open and having the ability to change locations on the fly is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom