• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

En-ou

i'd love to hear how many of you 1-shotted the
rat/hippo creature the footprints
lead up to. I died like over 10x.

Ferr986

damn I need a Dark Souls gif collection. They are gold.

ibqCi4ezJ3ZNwb.gif

ibpn5uk46ZpWqg.gif

2572257-2621321384-tumbl.gif

So no midnight play from the Day 1 Digital downloads? I thought they said it unlocked at midnight?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/202ktf/on_regions_file_sizes_and_digital_unlocks/

Hmm, he also says that it works like that for every game, which certainly isn't true as games have been available at midnight on PSN before.

I'll keep hoping as PSN says come back "anytime after 12:01am PST" which definitely sounds like you'll be able to download at midnight.

AJ_Wings

360 version has tearing up the ass in bigger areas. Disappointing.

And PS3 has an inconsistent framerate but has vsync on... this is Dragon's Dogma all over again.

OT: 6 hours so far with the PS3 version and my opinion... screw the
turtle knights.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And PS3 has an inconsistent framerate but has vsync on... this is Dragon's Dogma all over again.

OT: 6 hours so far with the PS3 and my opinion... screw the turtle knights.
Is it really that bad?

I've watched quite a few videos of the PS3 version and it seemed relatively stable most of the time.

georly

This is the vibe I'm getting, I haven't heard anyone say it's super duper amazing yet.
On the other hand I think Dark Souls is pretty inconsistent as well and a good amount of the bosses suck.

Played it 20 hours myself, and it feels like a dark souls sequel. No better, no worse. Some things new are good, some not so good, but still not bad. The sense of exploration and discovery is still there, which was my favorite part about dks1. The 'oh man how do i get there' or 'holy crap this leads back to there!?' feelings are still present. Figuring out what to do, where to go, what to equip, how to kill stuff is all still there. Bosses are hit or miss, just like the first two games. Some things are really cool
Like a giant hawk flying by and dropping a silver floating soldier next to you who then murders you
. It's been a blast, I have no real complaints.

Edit: Also, some of the new environments are great, i'm really pleased with what i've seen so far.

My experience w/ Dark souls is that i played demon's and beat it, and beat dark souls on 360 through NG+ and on PC (prepare to die edition) once. I was never into PVP, it was always about the exploration and discovery, and not about min-maxing or pvping or playing NG+ ten times. So far, i'm happy with it, and most people should be, too. Sure, you can nitpick it, but you could nitpick DKS1 also. Doesn't make it not a good game.

Cyborg

OT: 6 hours so far with the PS3 version and my opinion... screw the
turtle knights.

Uhmm when you say inconsistent framerate. Bellow 30 fps?

AJ_Wings

Is it really that bad?

I've watched quite a few videos of the PS3 version and it seemed relatively stable most of the time.

It's playable but my problem with it is that it's variable framerate. It's possible to get 60 fps by just staring at a wall but regular gameplay/combat definitely hovers below 30 most of the time. Thankfully, I haven't encountered dips as bad as blight town.

vehn

So given that you are matched with people who have collected around as many souls as you (instead of a level range), doesn't starting as deprived not really give a min / max advantage? I don't think people can say "pvp will be at level 120 so min/max your guy then", because the amount of souls you will have collected will vary among people.

krossj

Hope I enjoy this as much as I did the first but time to stop looking at this thread until the weekend when it is released here. Enjoy people.

So given that you are matched with people who have collected around as many souls as you (instead of a level range), doesn't starting as deprived not really give a min / max advantage? I don't think people can say "pvp will be at level 120 so min/max your guy then", because the amount of souls you will have collected will vary among people.

Has anyone confirmed if this counts souls that you've lost from not reclaiming a blood spot?

Darklord

Banned
After all these gifs I went and looked at some recent gameplay footage. I wanted to give this game a pass, excuse it. But WTF? This game looks like fucking dogshit now. Worse than Dark Souls 1 maybe. Oh my god, those gifs don't even do it justice. Fuck, I know what people are complaining about now. This sucks.

After all these gifs I went and looked at some recent gameplay footage. I wanted to give this game a pass, excuse it. But WTF? This game looks like fucking dogshit now. Worse than Dark Souls 1 maybe. Oh my god, those gifs don't even do it justice. Fuck, I know what people are complaining about now. This sucks.

Respectfully I have no idea what you're talking about.

Jigorath

Banned

From isn't exactly known for their technical prowess. Luckily their games are fun as hell and that's why you should buy Dark Souls II. Gameplay > Graphics.

RGt54.png

Darklord

Banned
Respectfully I have no idea what you're talking about.

I had avoided almost 100% of the coverage of this game to go in fresh, I don't even know what's new in this game, but after the graphics complaints I went and looked at some gameplay footage. It looks absolutely awful. It looks worse than Dark Souls 1 from the bits I saw. There's no lighting. It just looks so ugly and bad. The Souls series was never a technical power but it had mood and atmosphere. This is like...a big grey flat wall next to a flat smudged green area of grass. It seriously deflated my hype. The only footage I had seem before now was the stuff early on that looked fantastic. I'm sick of games bullshitting so much before launch. I know it's been talked about heaps but I'm just looking at it now. Man. Sick of developers pulling this shit. I'll still buy it on PC but god, I hope it looks and runs a LOT better.

Servbot24

Banned

If it's the same as DS1 (all accounts seem to say it's better), then it could be an equally amazing game... no need to losing your "fucking dogshit" over it.

How old are you, btw?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

i+shot+gwyndolyn+now+all+of+anor+londo+is+dark+_75330f043e184e62dd19f13ebbdbfe98.gif

Birathen

Peoples are actually gonna pass on dark souls because of the graphics? I feel lucky Im unable to tell pixels apart and dont really care.

Darklord

Banned
If it's the same as DS1 (all accounts seem to say it's better), then it could be an equally amazing game... no need to losing your "fucking dogshit" over it.

How old are you, btw?

How old am I? I can't have an opinion without being a 12 year old graphics whore or something? You can enjoy graphics AND gameplay you know. The mood and atmosphere of the stuff I had originally saw before going dark on the coverage was amazing. It's justifiable to be disappointed. The feel of Dark Souls is one of my favourite things about it. There's an entire thread on the subject(which is where I originally thought I was posting in but whatever).

georly

So... what's the eqivilant of the Drake Sword and how do I get it asap? :)

You can get the lightning sword by killing the guy in white sitting down next to a tree in forest of the giants. If you don't want to kill him (not sure if it affects something later in the game), you can get a flame longsword before the 2nd bonfire in forest of the giants by dropping down into the wooded area below (that you can see once you're on the roof of the building you enter) and there is a cave with a dragon/worm thing that shoots fire. There is a door on the left (that you can open between fireball shots) that contains a flame longsword. Beware of the 2 guys that ambush you from the outside of the cave once you enter, though. There is also a morning star (club weapon) that deals 120 damage in the starting town of majula. You have to jump onto the little cliff (to the left) near the entrance of forest of the giants. Kinda easy to miss, but you can see the corpse on the right on a cliff once you first enter majula (right outside the exit to 'things betwixed')

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Okay, guys. Shut the thread down. Shut it all down. It's over.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My CE pre-order has shipped from Amazon.ca! Yesssssss
Noticed that when you kill Manus and go back to the entrance there are actually 2 of these sons of bitches there all of a sudden? I can't believe I actually went through it and killed both - they do respawn after again though.
Oh yeah, forgot about those in my SL1 playthrough. One thing left to do I guess. :) That and Gwyn.

Come on FROM, let us disable v sync on PS3 too =(
Ewww. I can deal with low framerates, but screen tearing is really annoying. Though I guess for those where it's the other way around, an option might not hurt. But don't expect it.

why would anyone would like to disable vsync? do you want to lose your eyesight? i take a worse framerate over tearing any time of the day :-(
Agreed.

What is this? March 31st?
When I ordered it, it said March 11th.
Wow, that sucks. Call them?

Nice man. I'm getting the collector's edition too.
1024x576.resizedimage
How'd that pic happen? Pointing gesture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom