• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
More of dat gifage.

DarkSouls12.gif

DarkSouls5.gif

uc0fp.gif

Btw. does 2-handing give you a damage bonus?

Yes, but it's reduced from the first DS I believe. Can anyone confirm?

Eh, doubt we'll see anything worse in 2 than humanity/divine blessing spammers in DkS1.
lol yeah, this is true, I was just being a smartass. I actually think healing items are greatly balanced by their usage speed. I really hope having high adaptibility doesn't increase use speed too much.

Sanctuary

Screen tearing sucks, but how many console games have it so badly that it's the norm through the game instead of an outlier? People bitched pretty hardcore about how Dragon's Dogma was "horrible" with screen tearing, yet that was a bunch of hyperbole since it was barely noticeable until you started quickly panning the screen around.

PC games are another story though. If a PC game has screen tearing, it's almost always going to be noticeable through the majority of the game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yes, but it's reduced from the first DS I believe. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah there's a damage boost, but definitely not 1.5 (?) like in DkS. Its real use is guard break.

btw remember when I posted there are no areas that feel iconic like Sen's etc? I lied. I'm playing through a huge area now that is just excellent and is by far my favorite area of the game so far. To give you an idea, it's a mix of
Sen's and Blighttown

Can you still two-hand while dual-wielding, without going into the inventory and de-equipping a weapon?

Yes. A press of the 2H button 2H's your right weapon. Holding that button 2H's your left weapon.

Screen tearing sucks, but how many console games have it so badly that it's the norm through the game instead of an outlier? People bitched pretty hardcore about how Dragon's Dogma was "horrible" with screen tearing, yet that was a bunch of hyperbole since it was barely noticeable until you started quickly panning the screen around.

PC games are another story though. If a PC game has screen tearing, it's almost always going to be noticeable through the majority of the game.

The original had it and I played with vsync on to get rid of it. I don't think it's like CS:GO where vsync really hampers your play. I'm just used to it on Source engine games but it's definitely there.

Also how does one handing a dual bladed weapon work?

Antagon

Can you still two-hand while dual-wielding, without going into the inventory and de-equipping a weapon?

From what I understand, you go into a different stance where you attack with both weapons at the same time and do more damage. So basically, yes.

Eusis

This is why we have adaptive v-sync as an option with nVidia I think. It's great for something like Titanfall on 560 Ti where it can easily go under 60 FPS but not always, yet the v-sync options in-game make it kind of stuttery. Adaptive keeps it smoother in general.

Fhtagn

btw remember when I posted there are no areas that feel iconic like Sen's etc? I lied. I'm playing through a huge area now that is just excellent and is by far my favorite area of the game so far. To give you an idea, it's a mix of
Sen's and Blighttown

Oh man, just when I feel I can't be any more hyped...

Toxi

Banned
Hope they put those Bamco dollars into some early patches then. :p

I don't know what kind of class I'll play but I'm hoping to make a bow focused character.

Would be a nice change from my traditional Souls style (spear and shield for risk free poking).
Bandit starts with a bow, high dex, and decent strength for bow requirements. Only issues are low initial adapatability, which you can just pump, and 1 intelligence, so I hope you're not a magic fan.

Majmun

There's something off about this game. Each time I see pictures and watch streams there's something missing that was clearly there in the previous games.

It might be the art-direction. From what I've seen so far this game is so much inferior compared to the other Souls game when it comes to atmosphere and art-direction. There seem to be so many environments with empty fields that are very ugly and low res and the vista's look underwhelming as well.

I dunno, there's just something off. Maybe it's just me.

Gorillaz

There's something off about this game. Each time I see pictures and watch streams there's something missing that was clearly there in the previous games.

It might be the art-direction. From what I've seen so far this game is so much inferior compared to the other Souls game when it comes to atmosphere and art-direction. There seem to be so many environments with empty fields that are very ugly and low res and the vista's look underwhelming as well.

I dunno, there's just something off. Maybe it's just me.

I would say their sin't as much "shine" as DS1 had when it came to armor,background,etc. It's flat. Alot of people assume it was due to a shift of how they developed the game on consoles this time around.

oroboros

Oh people are going to find places that are pretty dark in this game.Even when there aren't that many dark places to go around i think the torch has enough uses other than that to not be a complete gimmick. Maybe they realized that going through a dark place without a shield wasn't that good of a trade of to begin with.

I'm betting this is the case. There will be a least an area or more where you will need a torch just like Tomb of Giants. I mean I doubt they created that torch system just to totally 100% scrap it last minute, least I hope they didn't because it's a cool idea. Just maybe not such a crazy effect the whole game. Seriously I watched a lot of videos of people playing through the Network Test and a ton of them at one point or another complained that the game was just too fucking dark everywhere. I mean you can't realy build dual wield or 2 hand if you have to carry a fucking torch all the time.

On another topic, the only thing I'm worried about is if this game will have any lack of nuance and craft of the last games. Little things like where and what items are found and the lore behind all that stuff. I mean they could just throw stuff places with little or no thought, but in Dark Souls even things like placement of certain items enhanced the story if you dug deeper into that.

And also all the interactions between the NPCs with you and each other. Like how they could kill each other or not depending on what actions you took in what order or if you just let too much time pass. Or how other characters would show up places they weren't before. The first time I turned the corner and motherfucking Frampt was there where it was just an empty pool of water before and he freaked me out was awesome. Or when I just happened to run into Quelana in Blighttown or Siegmeyer bumbling about on his own adventure. Hopefully FROM wanting to have this easy access central hub thing and everyone fast travelling around doesn't mean lack of randomly running into events like these. I mean like something different in an area the second or third or whatever time you go through it. If Frampt or whoever was just chilling in their spot the first time I went there it would have been way less cool then them showing up later in the game.

All the NPCs seemed to have their own motivations and would go about doing their damn thing while you were off on your own quests too. World felt really alive rather then just a bunch of menus with faces and a little dialog that just stand around and wait for you to talk and buy something.

Toxi

Banned
Holy shit, I accidentally clicked on the spoiler thread instead of this one and saw something beautiful. Spoilers...

The Moonlight Sword is back and looks better than it ever has. I'm not even mad.

Bandit starts with a bow, high dex, and decent strength for bow requirements. Only issues are low initial adapatability, which you can just pump, and 1 intelligence, so I hope you're not a magic fan.

Thanks. That's probably what I'll be looking at first. I've never really looked into magic in the previous games so I don't think it'll be an issue for me.

I wonder if there is a man serpent great sword equivalent. That moveset was great though probably won't be as good since supposedly there is no more dead angling?

Zeliard

I'm betting this is the case. There will be a least an area or more where you will need a torch just like Tomb of Giants. I mean I doubt they created that torch system just to totally 100% scrap it last minute, least I hope they didn't because it's a cool idea. Just maybe not such a crazy effect the whole game. Seriously I watched a lot of videos of people playing through the Network Test and a ton of them at one point or another complained that the game was just too fucking dark everywhere. I mean you can't realy build dual wield or 2 hand if you have to carry a fucking torch all the time.

I hope the torch mechanic is still significant. Even as someone who plans to dual-wield the entire game my first playthrough, I'd still love to be tempted to give up a weapon so I can hold a torch in areas where that would be beneficial. It's an interesting gameplay mechanic - a cool give-and-take - and it seems like it would also be wondrous from an atmospheric standpoint.

Antagon

Looking at the stream, the place looks dark enough to make a torch useful, even if not necessary. Basically makes you see further ahead and makes it easier to see where holes in the ground are.

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-17-2.png

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-14-1.png

I just think streams are making the game look bad. It seems like the majority of people who have played it said the game looks great and looks way better than Dark Souls.

I will agree with that after putting a few hours into it at a friends house. I'm excited about getting my copy tomorrow!

LOL @ People comparing it to a PS2 Game... Clearly they never have played a PS2 game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Looking at the stream, the place looks dark enough to make a torch useful, even if not necessary. Basically makes you see further ahead and makes it easier to see where holes in the ground are.

In my experience,
the value of the torch has been exeggerated in previews... Every time you pick one up, time gets added to your torch total. I have about 1h9 min of torch time. I've only used it in select areas. I'm still hoping for a large dark area to use it in :)

soldat7

The screen tearing of the 360 edition of Dragon's Dogma was indeed horrible. There's no way to sugar coat it. I dumped the game completely as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom