• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

There were parts of the game designed around traversal in the dark with a torch, sacrificing your left hand weapon (shield, whatever) for the torch a la Tomb of the Giants. They also continued to hype the lighting engine for the game and those sections.

With the lighting gone, the torch is now pretty useless unless you want an orange color in the room instead of gray.

This is why I don't believe pre-release stuffs from PR since most them will be a simply bullshots. Isn't the beta have similar impression on torch carrying?

Gbraga

I know there is a downgrade (well I posted there in the first page), but what I don't undestand is why is this important. Your point on the mood/atmosphere is good, but that happened only when you invested too much on the pre-released stuff. Mood or atmosphere of a game is something that we must experience with. Simply listening or watching indirectly wouldn't get us anywhere.

As I said in the other thread, I'm more curious than worried. I think the game looks really great judging from what I watched, but I want to understand why it happened. It was running on PS3 with no problems, after all.

Eusis

It's pretty amazing atmosphere-wise though, especially if you "fought" him after False King Allant, and talking to Sage Freke.

That was the point.

False King Allant was the real final challenge. The real King Allant is so pathetic to serve as a reminder of what happens when you try and take the quick, selfish, and easy way to power.
Oh yeah, it was good from a story perspective, but may come off as a let down gameplay-wise. Then again ME3 arguably failed on both fronts (fuck waves seriously), so that's really something special.
edit

hmm has the reviews for this game come out? i just was on IGN, they gave it 9.0/10 saying the only minus was death penalties....I refreshed the page and boom it was gone. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/...souls-2-review .. gives error messages now >.<
Probably just jumped the gun. And highlighted why we shouldn't worry about release date embargos in and of themselves, a lot of companies just want to do that as standard operating procedure unless they're trying to carefully keep a hype train going. At worst perhaps Bandai Namco knew that fans may be set off by certain critiques in otherwise positive reviews and so want to play it safe rather than let it build up without more people playing and actually voicing opinions.

Meh, my orders page on Amazon says it'll get here by March 31st when I have release day delivery. I preordered back in April and I'll be pretty annoyed if I don't get it tomorrow. No charge on my credit card makes me think something happened, blah.

Ghazi

This is why I don't believe pre-release stuffs from PR since most them will be a simply bullshots. Isn't the beta have similar impression on torch carrying?

Surprisingly, the public beta had this good lighting, which is why it's weird that it's been removed.

My Amazon order just updated saying it's in transit, and tracking # has it in a city close to me - if all goes well, release-day arrival should actually happen.

definitely curious to hear about midnight releases from you guys. my store isn't offering one.

i'm sure most if not all of the line is for titanfall tho.

neoemonk

They suckered me into buying a strategy guide. And by suckered I mean they showed it to me. Hardcover. Couldn't resist. I'll never unwrap it.

neoemonk

definitely curious to hear about midnight releases from you guys. my store isn't offering one.

Heard a guy in front talking to his gf about Demons Souls and someone behind me explaining something about hexes.

You are underestimating a system that needs more games and TF has to be one of the most hyped games of XBOne.

I mean, I guess if you include PC and 360. It's hyped, and it'll have longer legs, but the one hasn't even broke 4million consoles ww.. it's hard to imagine it outselling Dark Souls 2 on like 160million install base..

Eusis

You are underestimating a system that needs more games and TF has to be one of the most hyped games of XBOne.
I'd really like it polled myself. I do feel Titanfall may've been built up to be a bigger deal than it actually is, but on the flipside Dark Souls 1 was a slow burn and DSII may well share that fate. It's probably a rough split.

Lady Gaia

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to Dark Souls II so I can play something easier than Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for a change?

ironcreed

Banned
They suckered me into buying a strategy guide. And by suckered I mean they showed it to me. Hardcover. Couldn't resist. I'll never unwrap it.

I went ahead and placed an order for it today. It's Dark Souls and it is a gorgeous hardcover, so I figured why not?

12:01am EST. so 10 mins.

Dis_gon_be_good.gif

Grisby

There's some DS fans here. One or two CEs being sold too.

Some, like me, got both.

Lotta Titanfall. Even some x1's being sold.

Skab

Trying to hold out for the PC version (I'm literally building a new rig tomorrow.) but I'm so fucking tempted to go out to Walmart tonight and grab this for ps3.

I want ittttttt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom