• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bit of an exaggeration. There are light sources and there is lighting, it's just not quite as pronounced as a preview build.

Re. casualization -- I can't give the final word on this until I play it at length (or at all), but everything I've heard is that the game is of similar difficulty as the old game

Game still looks better than DS1 and multiple sources have been mentioning the game is harder and if you want more of a challenge you can burn an item on the bon fire for the extra hardcore touch. git gud.

I see guys. I think i'm still gonna wait for impressions from gaffers before i make any rash decisions, the game is not even out in Chile after all.

Oh who am kidding i'm gonna get this game no matter what, fuck all other games

dugdug

Banned
Just over 4 hours left until PSN preorders can download!

49095-screaming-reaction-gif--colber-KvOi.gif

Reminder, if you didn't preorder, Namco says you can't download at midnight and will have to wait for the store update later.

God, I hope Sony doesn't fuck this up. I'm already tired and I have to wait till 3 am just to start downloading it.

Eusis

Is a review really gonna change anyone's mind about this game. I'm looking at all you die hard fans. I remember first hearing about Demon Souls and knowing I wanted to play it and how I wanted to import it because of how amazing the game sounded. I will admit I didn't like Dark Souls as much but I'm still anxiously waiting to play tomorrow night and that won't change even if it gets an average score. Honestly I think it will get a good one.
If they were coming before release and things sounded bad, sure. DAII's probably a case where a lot of huge DA:O fans were worried and put off by the word of mouth that resulted. But while reviews are embargoed until release it sounds like at its worst this will be one of those sequels that's pretty good but maybe does a few things we wish it didn't, and that's typical really.

Jobbs

Banned
Is a review really gonna change anyone's mind about this game. I'm looking at all you die hard fans. I remember first hearing about Demon Souls and knowing I wanted to play it and how I wanted to import it because of how amazing the game sounded. I will admit I didn't like Dark Souls as much but I'm still anxiously waiting to play tomorrow night and that won't change even if it gets an average score. Honestly I think it will get a good one.

No, reviews couldn't matter less to me on anything anymore, but especially not on a souls game. Review scores, when you consider the context, what has scored higher or lower historically (just in general meta trends) and the environment in which these review mills operate, it just has no actual meaning in the real world beyond perhaps pointing out total stinkers, which they aren't even 100% on (I recall Zombi U getting a 4/10 or something like that at gamespot).

I pretty much expect DkS2 to get reviews in the early 9's from most outlets. Ie, a similar review as Dark Souls got, but raised a bit upward as reviewers consider this now to be a more important task.

Then again, the increased hype and importance of this game may also cause there to be some contrarians not afraid to trash the game and get some clicks. We'll see.

In any case, who cares, it's Souls, whether it's as good as the first game or not is a question left to history and may never really be answered as not everyone agrees if Dark or Demon's was better.

Afrodium

Banned
i dunno guys what if this sequel is casualized to hell and pure shit? Not to mention without any light sources. How can anyone know this is a worthy sequel to one of the better games from the last generation?

I think the mythos surrounding the original Dark Souls has created something that the sequel can never live up to. Any change is scrutinized, any talk of bad graphics or poor art direction is blown way out of proportion despite the fact that Dark Souls was never a looker and had its share of shitty areas.

Maybe Dark Souls II won't live up to the hype, but I'm going to wait until I play the game that these new mechanics are a part of before I dismiss them. This game looks to deviate from its predecessor as much as Dark Souls does from Demon's Souls, and as such it's likely to be as divisive between fans as those two games are. Almost all Souls fans agree that both games are great, but some like Demon's and some like Dark. If the game is just as good as those two, there will still be a lot of fans who prefer the other games. Don't take reports of people who prefer Dark Souls to this one too seriously; it doesn't mean you'll feel the same way. However, if you put Dark Souls on a pedestal as GOTF with no problems and glorious level design throughout then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

But I've played 0% of Dark Souls II so who the hell knows?

Clockwork5

Is anyone concerned about the review embargo? It's never a good sign when they forbid reviews until after the game releases. Is it midnight eastern the the reviews can go up?

The only thing I am concerned about is the fact that the clerk at Walmart might stare blankly into my over-hyped eyes when I ask for a copy of dark souls 2 at midnight.

Anth0ny

So painful that I can't play tomorrow. Fuck midterms straight to hell.

I'll have to wait until Thusday to die, die and die some more ; _ ;

Gbraga

I'm more looking forward to ENB's explanation of the lighting thing.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I think the mythos surrounding the original Dark Souls has created something that the sequel can never live up to. Any change is scrutinized, any talk of bad graphics or poor art direction is blown way out of proportion despite the fact that Dark Souls was never a looker and had its share of shitty areas.

Maybe Dark Souls II won't live up to the hype, but I'm going to wait until I play the game that these new mechanics are a part of before I dismiss them. This game looks to deviate from its predecessor as much as Dark Souls does from Demon's Souls, and as such it's likely to be as divisive between fans as those two games are. Almost all Souls fans agree that both games are great, but some like Demon's and some like Dark. If the game is just as good as those two, there will still be a lot of fans who prefer the other games. Don't take reports of people who prefer Dark Souls to this one too seriously; it doesn't mean you'll feel the same way. However, if you put Dark Souls on a pedestal as GOTF with no problems and glorious level design throughout then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

But I've played 0% of Dark Souls II so who the hell knows?

I was actually half joking lol but yeah i get your point.

I am going to invade and kill as many Dark Souls players as possible in spite of not being able to play this game till the PC release. Beware me! For my blade blade will be painted red!

gdt

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, my hype is palpatable. I'm off tomorrow. Just going to the gym in the morning, picking up Dark Souls II, then going on a date at night. So lots of DSII time in between.

Ghazi

dat hyperbole

I know, right?

I'm not trying to start anything, or influence anyone, because I'm sure DS2 will be an awesome game. I'm just saying I was a sucker for falling for it before, maybe saying that it's been ruined as hyperbole, as I doubt it could've looked better to begin with.

Shengar

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=103831413#post103831413

And that is only one example, more examples in the OP. The mood/atmosphere of the entire game (as we've seen it until now) has been ruined imo :(

I know there is a downgrade (well I posted there in the first page), but what I don't undestand is why is this important. Your point on the mood/atmosphere is good, but that happened only when you invested too much on the pre-released stuff. Mood or atmosphere of a game is something that we must experience with. Simply listening or watching indirectly wouldn't get us anywhere.

sixghost

I got to play like 30 minutes of it just now at the gamestop. It seems really fun. The game controls a bit different, but it feels really good.

Eusis

Lol this might be the ME3 of the series

"the last 5 mins of Dark Souls 2 ruined all of the souls series for me"
You pretty much have to completely screw up what the game was all about, and arguably Demon's Souls had already done just that:
lol expecting a huge and/or tough boss? Well I'll instead give you this pathetic pile of slime that won't shut up to 'fight'.

I'd sooner expect this to be the Metroid Prime 2 or 3 of the series: undermines non-linearity, may also be disappointing in other ways, but is still a really good game so well worth playing for anyone that loved the prior game(s).

Shengar

You pretty much have to completely screw up what the game was all about, and arguably Demon's Souls had already done just that:
lol expecting a huge and/or tough boss? Well I'll instead give you this pathetic pile of slime that won't shut up to 'fight'.

It's pretty amazing atmosphere-wise though, especially if you "fought" him after False King Allant, and talking to Sage Freke.

Toxi

Banned
That was the point.

False King Allant was the real final challenge. The real King Allant is so pathetic to serve as a reminder of what happens when you try and take the quick, selfish, and easy way to power.

Where is Ouya?
See those bones in the bonfire?

Servbot24

Banned
Will be picking it up after work tomorrow. Will then have to wait for UPS to deliver my new monitor, hopefully they don't fuck up the delivery as they usually do.

So wait: can we download this from the PSN store in 30 min? I have it reserved for 360 b/c Dark Souls ran better on the 360 (I think?), but I have more friends on PSN.

Also, any consensus word on the graphics comparison? Most PS3 games look a little washed out compared to the color on 360 . . .

Ghazi

Ruined? I for one was not looking forward to the pitch black DS concept. But either way nothing has or would have been ruined for me. DS2 gonna be BBBAAADDD!
Bad as in good? Or bad as in bad? lol.
I know there is a downgrade (well I posted there in the first page), but what I don't undestand is why is this important. Your point on the mood/atmosphere is good, but that happened only when you invested too much on the pre-released stuff. Mood or atmosphere of a game is something that we must experience with. Simply listening or watching indirectly wouldn't get us anywhere.

There were parts of the game designed around traversal in the dark with a torch, sacrificing your left hand weapon (shield, whatever) for the torch a la Tomb of the Giants. They also continued to hype the lighting engine for the game and those sections.

With the lighting gone, the torch is now pretty useless unless you want an orange color in the room instead of gray.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So wait: can we download this from the PSN store in 30 min? I have it reserved for 360 b/c Dark Souls ran better on the 360 (I think?), but I have more friends on PSN.

Also, any consensus word on the graphics comparison? Most PS3 games look a little washed out compared to the color on 360 . . .

3 and a half hours, PSN download unlocks only at 12:01 am PST

Gorillaz

yea in
3 hours and
30 mins

Dark Souls definitely ran and looked better on the PS3.

ironcreed

Banned

It might be around 12:30 give or take a few minutes. Here are some shots of both versions:

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-1-2.png

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-1-1.png

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-17-2.png

DarkSouls2-Comaprison-17-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom