• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
swords lol

go axes or go home.

e8x1jo.jpg

All I wanted was another DBS. A massive sword that scales mostly with STR (less than D for DEX).

Zeliard

I'm probably using a dagger. Have for both games.

I have a fondness for the Bandit Knife since I first played Dark Souls with the Thief class, and I used that weapon for a good chunk of the game. The bleeding effect was good stuff.

Greataxe with an actual moveset again (apparently) calls me.

I'm going dual wielding. If possible I wouldn't mind a sword in one hand and a small axe in the other, though I think I lose out on some moves if I use different weapon types.

Now I have arrived to place that only can be described as gorgeous and atmospheric. I'm now 45 hours in and the game keep delivering. I don't know how some reviewers finished the game in 30-35 hours, they surely missed a lot of areas and secrets.

Sande

During this time of year, locations on PST are now on PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) instead.

http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/pst.html

So where applicable, all PST locations are PDT until daylight savings is done. So PST is currently GMT-7.
Okay, This is the last reply on the subject. Just because Pacific Standard Time isn't the current time anywhere right now doesn't change it. It's Always GMT-8. Pacific time changes, PST doesn't. PSN promised the dl by 12am GMT-8, not PT or PDT. Unless I remember it wrong and it didn't say PST on the store page.

Toxi

Banned
I'm hoping hammers (Both large and small) are buffed by the STR changes, since they're the main STR weapons along with axes. I love clobbering people with them.
Bandit knife only scales with strength..try and figure that one out.
...Okay, so by this logic I need to level up my INT to use Miracles.

2AdEPT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTVDDSmgdH8

Yep its downloading and I posted my unboxing on You tube: Praise the fuckin' Sun after standing in line in the cold for it though!!!!!

edit: great timing...its all downloaded and the music is ON!

Pretty PO'd that I didnt figure out a workaround for the HDCP BS...anyone with current ideas on the best way to record PS3 using Avermedia Pci card please PM!!

Jobbs

Banned
Souls yearns for melee

I tend to agree, while I don't take anything from anyone who wants to play with whatever style that suits them, personally, whenever I watch someone playing a pure sorc type character it just sort of looks cheap and easy or something. :)

For people annoyed with the death penalty (health reduction), there is a ring you can find in an area called
No Man's Wharf that reduce the amount of health taken after death, behind a closet. So hit everything you find in this place. It will make your life much easier.

Stoze

Got back from Redbox with a copy of the 360, installed and ready to go. Trying to decide between dex or strength build, dosen't really matter too much right now I suppose.

batbeg

I've yet to use magic in a souls game and I intend to keep it that way (disclaimer: I used cast light in Tomb of the Giants but that's it).

Jobbs

Banned
Are the "early access weapons" within the 5213 MB file or is there a separate download?

I don't know, but I encourage everyone to play with the pure experience, at least the first time. this could be sorta like starting out with the drake sword, and it feels sorta artificial, it's not something natural from the design of the game, it's a gimmick promotion decided probably by money people and not by the developers.

Jtrizzy

So is there any consensus on the graphics? They had both versions hooked up side by side tonight at gamestop and it looked pretty good to me for last gen. Of course good art can make up for a lot of that.

Installing now:

TIME TO GET HYPED.

Also: what's everyone's opinion on the weapons? Broken or not? Used the code just for the theme myself.

I don't know, but I encourage everyone to play with the pure experience, at least the first time. this could be sorta like starting out with the drake sword, and it feels sorta artificial, it's not something natural from the design of the game, it's a gimmick promotion decided probably by money people and not by the developers.

Sure. I'm not saying I would definitely use them. But I would like to know I didn't miss getting them early, as it was a pre-order bonus and all...

So let me tell you what's sort of bullshit about this game's numerous death penalties.

None of them are bad on their own, but picture this: you're stuck on a boss. You have nowhere else to go right now, and because you've died so many times enemies aren't spawning anymore. You don't have
Any effigies to use to become human, and your health bar is stuck at 50%.

Grinding for levels is pretty much out of the question. Effigies cost 5k souls, but again, grinding is made much more arduous thanks to the de spawning enemies. Fighting the boss is made all the tougher thanks to your lowered health.

Unless you really luck out and ace the boss, you're almost completely SOL. It always felt like there was something else to do in DeS and DkS - I think roadblocks happen much more frequently than in previous games.

Zeliard

I've yet to use magic in a souls game and I intend to keep it that way (disclaimer: I used cast light in Tomb of the Giants but that's it).

I largely just play melee in Souls games, not because I find the magic cheap or uninteresting, but because I just enjoy the sword combat that much.

However I'm not above using magic for buffs. Those spells are often useful and serve as a nice supplement to melee combat.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So is there any consensus on the graphics? They had both versions hooked up side by side tonight at gamestop and it looked pretty good to me for last gen. Of course good art can make up for a lot of that.

360 has tearing and PS3 has slightly worse framerate.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

Prototype

I feel you man.
Hope this doesn't delay Ghost Song!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In regards to magic, the way they've expanded it, even going as far to create a separate system in Hexes, makes it seem like something from is putting a huge focus into. The sword stuff is still fun but it's been roughly the same for 3 games now, though dual wielding should be fun. I want to go into magic first this time mostly because it has the most new stuff in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom