• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

How bad are the framerates compared to the 360 version? Reviewers are saying the 360 version has better framerates but I don't want to sub Gold again to play online.

Toxi

Banned
I feel sorry for the people trying Souls out for the first time.

COD+kids+play+Dark+Souls_c512ee_4716374.gif

Eusis

You are talking about the 1st Dark Souls? I know about that infamous area, since a lot of people are making a huge ruckus over it on the Internet, hahaha.

I was actually asking about this game, Dark Souls 2. So if any PS3 players can share their experiences here, which I guess will still be very limited since it just gets out, I would be grateful.
A lot of people are saying the FPS is slightly better on 360, but not V-Synced like PS3. I get the impression it's like Dragon's Dogma in that regard, where you have to choose between marginally better performance or no tearing. But the beta was fine even if not quite as nice as the first game but never Blight town bad, and that's probably because the game innately has a variable FPS whereas Dark Souls operated only in set multiples: 30, 15, and maybe 10 and 5. Anything that can be multiplied directly into 30 basically.

Seance

Banned
No

There goes my STR build.

Seriously I am dumbfounded. Every single ULTRA greatsword has quality scaling except for 1 or 2.

I don't want to use a fucking hammer FROM!

You need 10 dex for utras. Boo fucking hoo. If u really wanna min max then the greathammer class is suited for you.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A lot of people are saying the FPS is slightly better on 360, but not V-Synced like PS3. I get the impression it's like Dragon's Dogma in that regard, where you have to choose between marginally better performance or no tearing. But the beta was fine even if not quite as nice as the first game but never Blight town bad, and that's probably because the game innately has a variable FPS whereas Dark Souls operated only in set multiples: 30, 15, and maybe 10 and 5. Anything that can be multiplied directly into 30 basically.

Ah, but at least it performs respectably well, yes? Very good.

From that gif, I can see at least two things wrong with that title.

That is actually a very huge spoiler for folks that have not yet seen the movie, hahaha.

Larsa

Haha, I was going to wait for the PC version, but I couldn't even wait for the European console release I made a NA PSN account, currently downloading (˘ω˘)

You are talking about the 1st Dark Souls? I know about that infamous area, since a lot of people are making a huge ruckus over it on the Internet, hahaha.

I was actually asking about this game, Dark Souls 2. So if any PS3 players can share their experiences here, which I guess will still be very limited since it just gets out, I would be grateful.

The game runs at an inconsistent fps, at times it runs really nicely (close to 60), and at others it's lower but still playable.

All in all, it's better performance than Dark Souls on PS3, from what I've played.

Clevinger

But the beta was fine even if not quite as nice as the first game but never Blight town bad,

I don't agree. I haven't played the full game yet, but the PS3 beta felt like it had a much more consistent framerate than DS1. Like besides the terrible areas like Blighttown and New Londo, how even if your camera was in the wrong place during a backstab the game would slow to a crawl.

Its about going in blind with the Souls games, facing the unexpected and getting better and better as you progress.

I don't see the point in watching play/walkthroughs and spoiling things before the game has been released.

LordCanti

Is there anywhere to farm Human Effigies? I
bought all of them from the lady in the first level already. If there is another NPC that sells them, I'd love that info as well.

Well just ran into my first big cock block
The Pursuer. He is so aggressive.

I died a couple of times for sure.

Shengar

Is there anywhere to farm Human Effigies? I
bought all of them from the lady in the first level already. If there is another NPC that sells them, I'd love that info as well.

How do you suppose to farm Human Effigies
when the enemies stopped spawning after dozens of respawn?

dreamfall

So let me tell you what's sort of bullshit about this game's numerous death penalties.

None of them are bad on their own, but picture this: you're stuck on a boss. You have nowhere else to go right now, and because you've died so many times enemies aren't spawning anymore. You don't have
Any effigies to use to become human, and your health bar is stuck at 50%.

Grinding for levels is pretty much out of the question. Effigies cost 5k souls, but again, grinding is made much more arduous thanks to the de spawning enemies. Fighting the boss is made all the tougher thanks to your lowered health.

Unless you really luck out and ace the boss, you're almost completely SOL. It always felt like there was something else to do in DeS and DkS - I think roadblocks happen much more frequently than in previous games.

This is what I'm actually most apprehensive about. It'll be hard to progress if you don't have souls for currency and the enemies have despawned :/

If you warp between areas, do they come back at all? Or it's 10x and out? I feel like if things are problematic and you waste your opportunities to gain souls from an area, it'll be that much harder.

How do the respec items work? Can I not worry too much about my choices at first to experiment and then just reset to the perfect spread some better player comes up with?

Man I can't wait to go into to this blind later today. The wait is going to be brutal. Also, what's this I hear about my precious Zweihander? It was a pure STR weapon in the beta dammit. >:[

Woohoo, this game is spicy! Had loads of close calls, but there have only been a handful of times where I inconveniently died. Even had a 3v1 Invasion encounter! On top of that, I haven't lost my soul pile once so far! Swordsman btw.
You will need a shield if you try to take on Mr. Floaty Knight.

Remember kids, you can drop a sign when hollow. You just can't see signs or summon anyone to your own game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom