• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recall

Watching Vageta play on Twitch and the game has so much going for it. You can see where they've tried to scale back encounter rates in open areas but it just turns out to be a ploy to get you to lower your defences.

Halberds are OP too :)

Shengar

It's really not that bad. Plus, you can get the [equipment]
binding ring very early in the game. (75% health instead of 50%)
JGQSsHX.png
So it seems that Cling Ring have made its glorious return to the game
Okay, I'm a Cleric.

Sorry Patches.

Patches's Mother will be sad :(

Shinjica

Nah. If you're doing it right, you won't lose a single HP anyway. At least that's my experience with hard boss fights in D'Souls: die -> die -> die -> die -> die -> ... -> die -> perfect!

And at least you're no longer dying on your way to the boss.

IF i rememebr correctly the world is the same as Dark Souls.

halfbeast

Banned
it's here, it's finally here!

Xfow6.gif

US PSN?

I tried to add to the download queue in SEN web store but I could only "Add to cart" (for free) and after that it let me add it to the queue.

EDIT: speaking of which, is there any way to know if a game added to the queue has started/finished downloading?

added it to the queue list where you can watch if something is happening. didn't work for me, but then I realized I unplugged the internet cable. >_>

FoA4Okr.jpg

Not sure when is last call for getting onto a USPS truck. USPS does't do the hold package at office for pick up. Not sure if I should just go buy a standard edition at bestbuy to stop the pain of waiting.

Jobbs

Banned
If anyone was concerned the game would be casual, based on my first couple hours, it's pretty hairy. I've died more than I care to admit. I also am obsessed with exploring eveyrthing, though.

I feel like the framerate on the PS3 is a pretty big problem right now, and I wonder if it can be improved with patches or something. It doesn't seem acceptable after they marked this as an important point to improve following the blight town stuff. Personally, I'd rather have a more solid framerate most the time then a really bad framerate in the occasional blight town, than this sort of.. almost always too low situation we have now. The times when it's 30 or above seem to be infrequent, unfortunately. At least in the areas I've been so far.

Jobbs

Banned
Is it still well interconnected, or is it more like Demon's Souls with different branches that don't connect (except here there are no real barriers like Archstones)?

Game seems huge so far, with always more places to check out and go. It feels big, almost overwhelming at this point.

Honestly, I love everything about the game so far except the framerate (PS3). Some areas look graphically worse than others, sure, but that's not a big deal to me. What hurts is this abysmal framerate. I've been playing Dark Souls 1 on my PS3 lately, leading up to this, and I can tell you the framerate in the first game wasn't anywhere near as bad, if you don't count blight town. I love souls, I'm the biggest fanboy ever, but I have to be honest. This framerate is not ok.

early mildly-spoilerish question:
when I first meet pate, he talks about an area ahead with a door that shuts behind me. I went in and died. how do i get back in again?

Darkone

Woohoo, this game is spicy! Had loads of close calls, but there have only been a handful of times where I inconveniently died. Even had a 3v1 Invasion encounter! On top of that, I haven't lost my soul pile once so far! Swordsman btw.
You will need a shield if you try to take on Mr. Floaty Knight.

Remember kids, you can drop a sign when hollow. You just can't see signs or summon anyone to your own game.

Thinking of playing a Swordsman, how is its play style compared to Warrior/Knight?

Honestly, I love everything about the game so far except the framerate (PS3). Some areas look graphically worse than others, sure, but that's not a big deal to me. What hurts is this abysmal framerate. I've been playing Dark Souls 1 on my PS3 lately, leading up to this, and I can tell you the framerate in the first game wasn't anywhere near as bad, if you don't count blight town. I love souls, I'm the biggest fanboy ever, but I have to be honest. This framerate is not ok.

Are you playing from the disc or downloaded version?

Jobbs

Banned
Are you playing from the disc or downloaded version?

downloaded.

the framerate never gets to blight town levels, that's not what I mean, it's just sorta always *kinda* bad. outdoors it tends to feel about 20ish almost all the time. indoors it gets a bit better sometimes. It's annoying and it detracts from the game, for me, quite a bit.

Thinking of playing a Swordsman, how is its play style compared to Warrior/Knight?

There are times you wish you had a shield. Especially when you get ambushed or face a strong enemy.... But the pure offensive is great. If your good at dodging and have patience, you'll be fine. I've only died like three times in 3 hours worth if gaming so far.

slash3584

it's here, it's finally here!

Xfow6.gif

added it to the queue list where you can watch if something is happening. didn't work for me, but then I realized I unplugged the internet cable. >_>

Yeah I added it, but for some reason it does not update the website :/.

I tested it with other game downloads and it stays on "Waiting" forever, even if the game has already been downloaded on the PS3

early mildly-spoilerish question:
when I first meet pate, he talks about an area ahead with a door that shuts behind me. I went in and died. how do i get back in again?

Turn right in the area with turtle looking knight. This will take you to an area with one enemy and on the right wall their will be a ladder. Go up the ladder and to the left.

Gbraga

downloaded.

the framerate never gets to blight town levels, that's not what I mean, it's just sorta always *kinda* bad. outdoors it tends to feel about 20ish almost all the time. indoors it gets a bit better sometimes. It's annoying and it detracts from the game, for me, quite a bit.

What do you think about the animations and hit impact?

georly

Yuck. L3 and R3 should't be used for basic stuff like jumping.

You can change it to circle, but honestly, i like it better. Having to hold circle, let go and then press it again is much harder to time that clicking L3 while running. And for some jumps, timing is more crucial than ever.

Jobbs

Banned
What do you think about the animations and hit impact?

The animations are unquestionably better than the first game. The cloth physics are great and add a lot of satisfaction to all movement. Hit impact and all that is great, similar to the first game, with some differences I've noted.

For one, enemies don't necessarily get staggered if they attack your blocked shield. Also, you can block arrows without recoiling. Little things like that make the game feel a bit different, and it takes adjustment. Also, as a bandit with low adaptability, it really does take a bit to raise a shield, and this has already led to me taking hits a few times when I wouldn't have if it were DkS1.

It also seems like you can't fall as far. I've judged survivable drops a few times already based on my instincts from the first game, and I splat. So be careful about that.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Didn't get to really play last night. Jumping in now. L3!!

Edit: are the servers up yet? I'll find out soon enough. Quote for psn id sly_fred

Soriku

downloaded.

Have you played Dragon's Dogma? Is it close to that? There were a lot of complaints about it but I thought it was mostly fine...

bidguy

Banned
downloaded.

wow thats fucked up

Shengar

Have you played Dragon's Dogma? Is it close to that? There were a lot of complaints about it but I thought it was mostly fine...

Dragon's Dogma framerate only drop to unacceptable level when lot of things going on the screen, especially static-placed magic effect like bolide, and of course when fighting Ur-Dragon. But other than that it seems fine, for me at least.

Framerate probably in the Dragon's Dogma for PS3 range, I'd say. Seems to be an apt comparison.

It'll be fine for me then :)

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Guys, I hope this question doesn't get buried in the hype, but can anyone confirm if the game is region free on 360? I'm in Canada but my 360 is PAL.

If it's not I'll just try and wait for PC.

Soriku

Framerate probably in the Dragon's Dogma for PS3 range, I'd say. Seems to be an apt comparison.

So...rather playable I guess. lol.

I thought DD mainly got bad when fighting Ur Dragon, otherwise I didn't really have an issue. I'm not that sensitive to framerate though.

FoA4Okr.jpg

Not sure when is last call for getting onto a USPS truck. USPS does't do the hold package at office for pick up. Not sure if I should just go buy a standard edition at bestbuy to stop the pain of waiting.

Mine is also "in transit" but has arrived at my local post office :(

Sucks knowing it's here, but it might come tomorrow. It was processed two hours ago ffs!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Guys, I hope this question doesn't get buried in the hype, but can anyone confirm if the game is region free on 360? I'm in Canada but my 360 is PAL.

If it's not I'll just try and wait for PC.

Um yes you can travel to all the regions regardless of platform/location? Weird question.

i don't know lol

Mana Sin

FoA4Okr.jpg

Hey, another person from Philadelphia. Neat.

My package is out for delivery, but it's in the hands of the UPS for some reason.

Zeth

FoA4Okr.jpg

Sometimes it won't register as on vehicle for delivery until 9-10am in my experience with USPS.

daniels

downloaded.

Is the framerate worse than in DS1 (ignoring blighttown)?

En-ou

How is this game in 3D? Dark Souls was amazing in 3D on my PC and I do not see myself playing it without!

we will know on april 25. i do agree: dark souls was phenomenal in 3D. cannot wait. once you go 3D you cannot go back, everything seems so flat and lifeless afterwards.

Amazon CS rep:

I do see that the game was released today, however when you ordered it, the emailed invoice we sent you didn't provide a delivery date since it's temporarily out of order. As soon as we get more in, we'll email you the estimated delivery date and ship it immediately to you. It's not likely to arrive today since we still do not have more in stock. I'm sorry that you were provided incorrect information previously!
StarWars_vader_noooo-thumb-550x378-32922.jpg

ttocs

Any advice on what class would be best for someone new to the series? I played some Demon Souls when it first came out and I think I was Royalty or whatever class started with the long range snipe spell. Any word on a good class for a newcomer to the Dark Souls games?

Yeah wow. The game is going to be great, but after playing it a couple hours I agree the framerate on PS3 is on par with Dragon's Dogma. It even does the same thing on my PS3 where the game outright freezes for a split second every once and a while. The framerate, for some crazy reason, is unlocked, so 90% of the time the game is running at around 20fps, then when you're looking at a wall or an area without much stuff it can reach about 50fps. The point is, the picture never looks smooth-- you're always stuttering along somewhere. It's runs worse than Dark Souls on PS3, and I just played it a couple days ago.

Is the framerate worse than in DS1 (ignoring blighttown)?
From my perspective it absolutely is. We'll see what others say, but I think it's pretty clear.

Superman

Got my Amazon UK pre-order bonus... Metal piece of Artwork? Limited edition Number 2410 of 2500. I can't remember ever reading about it? Any one else received there's yet? Can anyone shed some light on it? Can't find any info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom