• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It has come to my attention someone has posted Scans of the guide. Please remove the links as scans are not allowed on neogaf and it is bannable.

Jobbs

Banned
Initial impressions:

- Awesome audio
- NPCs are speaking in basically very plain american-like accents much of the time, which is totally new for a Souls game
- Controls feel right
- Graphics in terms of appearance are sometimes better than DkS1 (area around majula shrine, wow) other times pretty damn ugly (the forest of the whatever, the early area I'm in right now, very ugly)
- framerate on ps3 is a bit unsteady so far, I would have hoped for a bit more reliable framerate

There are many ways to go, and I'm having fun figuring things out and trying things.

I found a morning star near the majula shrine by jumping up a little pathway. Nice reference to dark souls 1 where there was also one of these

I haven't really figured out how to properly dual wield. Is there some way to use both weapons at once in an attack?

If anyone else ordered from gamestop using one day shipping and was worried about not getting an email, just received one and it's out for delivery today. Talk about a last minute notification!

Stoze

Pretty much played around the tutorial area and Majula for a couple hours. I donno about the later bits, but the starting areas are gorgeous and full of color and contrast. That atmosphere just permeates through the screen. And my god I'm really rusty at the combat, feels like forever since I played Dark Souls and I didn't play enough of it to get really good.

Also, remind me again, but there aren't really any true differences from the classes other than starting equipment and stats correct?

2AdEPT

I am not a PC gamer, so I must settle with PS3. Hopefully the game performs well... anyone here got the ps3 version can share their experience, perhaps?

Was looking to get Tales of Graces F initially, but all of sudden this game caught my eye. A foreboding and oppressing RPG from the looks of it...
Dark Souls 2 is awesome so far...I just finished the tutorial and lit the first bonfire. My explorer has a tonnne of shit I dont even know what its for and I'm pretty sure I found all hidden items so far and killed all enemies in the tutorial (not the hags.)
Initial impressions:

- Awesome audio
- NPCs are speaking in basically very plain american-like accents much of the time, which is totally new for a Souls game
- Controls feel right
- Graphics in terms of appearance are sometimes better than DkS1 (area around majula shrine, wow) other times pretty damn ugly (the forest of the whatever, the early area I'm in right now, very ugly)
- framerate on ps3 is a bit unsteady so far, I would have hoped for a bit more reliable framerate

There are many ways to go, and I'm having fun figuring things out and trying things.

I found a morning star near the majula shrine by jumping up a little pathway. Nice reference to dark souls 1 where there was also one of these

I haven't really figured out how to properly dual wield. Is there some way to use both weapons at once in an attack?
Supposedly , as long as you figure out how to do the dual wield
"stance"
first.

Not very far yet, but I think it looks and feel great. Was I supposed to not be able to jump in the tutorial area? I selected the L3 option but it does not seem to work...may have to revert to the circle button?

Klyka

Banned
I was going to skip the console version but Gamestop in Germany has this in their "9.99€ trade in" thing so I trad ein GTA5 and New Super Mario Bros and get the game for 9.99€ on Friday.

Guess I gotta go with PS3 cause that's where my friends are, which is sad cause it's the worse version :(

Mendrox

Well just ran into my first big cock block
The Pursuer. He is so aggressive.

Easy way to kill him:

Wait first, let him rush to you at the fog gate and run to the left side to the crossbow thing, use it and you just have to attack once more to kill him

Fight itself is easy too, just dodge. Killed him as a sorcerer with ease.

Kiraly

Have Demon's Souls on PS+ (never played it) and bought Dark Souls, played that for like 5-10 hours and had not gotten very far. I still found it very very enticing, no idea why I stopped playing it. Kinda feel like buying DS2 on release though, what do?

Soriku

Have Demon's Souls on PS+ (never played it) and bought Dark Souls, played that for like 5-10 hours and had not gotten very far. I still found it very very enticing, no idea why I stopped playing it. Kinda feel like buying DS2 on release though, what do?

Just play through Dark Souls first honestly.

Vazra

Try to finish Dark Souls to see if you really want DS2. No need to spend money on games that will be left unplayed tbh.

eot

Banned
I was going to skip the console version but Gamestop in Germany has this in their "9.99€ trade in" thing so I trad ein GTA5 and New Super Mario Bros and get the game for 9.99€ on Friday.

Guess I gotta go with PS3 cause that's where my friends are, which is sad cause it's the worse version :(

So you're still getting the game after saying how you were going to "sigh the whole way through" it?

jyoung188

Wow this game is fucking awesome. Got my ps3 black armor edition at midnight from GameStop, its 4am now and I had to peel myself away from the game haha. Started as the deprived class and played about 3 hours, did a lot of exploring, talking to npcs, and reading item descriptions. I absolutely love the atmosphere so far and the combat feels great. I am really enjoying the voice acting and characters too.

Kiraly

Try to finish Dark Souls to see if you really want DS2. No need to spend money on games that will be left unplayed tbh.

This does make the most sense. I don't know, buying a game on release and playing it through while this thread is the most active and I can partake in discussions is attractive to me. Even though I sometimes buy games right on release and play them for a night, to never touch them again.

Will fire up Dark Souls tonight again, let's see how it goes.

Jobbs

Banned
Pressing makes you 2h, holding triangle gets you to dual wield, iirc.

---

Fond of the Knight. The Falconer armor is pretty sweet~

holding triangle makes me 2h the left handed weapon. I seriously can't figure out how to dual wield "stance".

Vazra

This does make the most sense. I don't know, buying a game on release and playing it through while this thread is the most active and I can partake in discussions is attractive to me. Even though I sometimes buy games right on release and play them for a night, to never touch them again.

Will fire up Dark Souls tonight again, let's see how it goes.

Do not worry. If this thread is anything like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls it will be pretty active for a long long time.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
holding triangle makes me 2h the left handed weapon. I seriously can't figure out how to dual wield "stance".
Need 2 weapons of the same moveset class + 1.5x the STR and DEX it takes to wield the one with higher requirements. The second part is probably what you're not meeting.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This game is pretty huge. Didn't FROM say the size of the world was roughly the same as DkS? Well, it sure doesn't feel that way. So many branching paths and secrets.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

Don't see how that's true since DF said one version has a shit ton of tearing and higher framerate or a version with no tearing and lower framerate also with better texture filtering so they're pretty much equal.

Klyka

Banned
Don't see how that's true since DF said one version has a shit ton of tearing and higher framerate or a version with no tearing and lower framerate also with better texture filtering so they're pretty much equal.

PS3 version has lower framerate (don't care about tearing) and looks blurrier. Apparently it also drops frames in parts more than the 360 version.

Jarnet87

Has anyone seen the strategy guide for Dark Souls 2? I thought the first one was very nice looking. I know that as patches come out for the game the guide will become less and less relevant, but I still might buy it if is nicely put together.

slash3584

I pre-ordered on PSN.. but i cant find the download anywhere. What gives?

US PSN?

I tried to add to the download queue in SEN web store but I could only "Add to cart" (for free) and after that it let me add it to the queue.

EDIT: speaking of which, is there any way to know if a game added to the queue has started/finished downloading?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
PS3 version has lower framerate (don't care about tearing) and looks blurrier. Apparently it also drops frames in parts more than the 360 version.

Hmmm? From the DF article it says that both have the same sharpness in resolution and textures, but the 360 has worse filtering so distant texture are blurrier.

AHA-Lambda

So let me tell you what's sort of bullshit about this game's numerous death penalties.

None of them are bad on their own, but picture this: you're stuck on a boss. You have nowhere else to go right now, and because you've died so many times enemies aren't spawning anymore. You don't have
Any effigies to use to become human, and your health bar is stuck at 50%.

Grinding for levels is pretty much out of the question. Effigies cost 5k souls, but again, grinding is made much more arduous thanks to the de spawning enemies. Fighting the boss is made all the tougher thanks to your lowered health.

Unless you really luck out and ace the boss, you're almost completely SOL. It always felt like there was something else to do in DeS and DkS - I think roadblocks happen much more frequently than in previous games.

oh god that sounds awful :/

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

From the DF review/screens it looks like and kinda says 360 is the blurrier one though. Otherwise that seems both versions are equal and depend on the preference of better framerate, worst textures, and extreme tearing or worst framerate, better textures, and no tearing. So technically no version is truly worse than the other, but you prefer the higher framerate of the 360 version.

Understandable.

Dragon's Dogma all over again.

-Ryn

Banned
Well if there aren't any amazing chests ahead, are there any fluffy tails?

Or has From truly failed us all?

This game is pretty huge. Didn't FROM say the size of the world was roughly the same as DkS? Well, it sure doesn't feel that way. So many branching paths and secrets.
If I recall correctly they said that it is twice the size of Dark Souls. I may be wrong though.

Can anyone confirm this?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
oh god that sounds awful :/

It's really not that bad. Plus, you can get the [equipment]
binding ring very early in the game. (75% health instead of 50%)

Heide's tower may seem like a late game area, but it's not. Try to attempt it if other areas/bosses are giving you trouble.

I only use effigies if my health has dropped significantly. They aren't that common, so use them sparingly

If I recall correctly they said that it is twice the size of Dark Souls. I may be wrong though.

Can anyone conform this?

It'd make sense. The game is massive.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Any word on if this will be available as a day 1 digital download on 360 in the EU? I saw the game on the US store but nothing so far on the EU one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom