• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

FoA4Okr.jpg

Not sure when is last call for getting onto a USPS truck. USPS does't do the hold package at office for pick up. Not sure if I should just go buy a standard edition at bestbuy to stop the pain of waiting.

I'm in the same boat. Ordered on Amazon and got Thursday as my expected delivery date. Then when it shipped it changed to Wednesday. Now I check this morning and it arrived at my local post office at 6:58 AM. For what it's worth I also ordered the guide, which always had a delivery date of today, and it got to my post office at 6:12 AM.

Any advice on what class would be best for someone new to the series? I played some Demon Souls when it first came out and I think I was Royalty or whatever class started with the long range snipe spell. Any word on a good class for a newcomer to the Dark Souls games?
Go for knight - aka a tank character. Do not play with agility heavy classes until you got the hang of it as it is much more difficult.

MilkBeard

just 4 hours and 13 minutes, and the game will be in my hands, finally. I'll be running on low sleep, but I've got the day off and I'm gonna dive right in.

Can't wait!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit Dark souls is available in Chile! And i just came from the unemployement benefits office and i'm getting a a lot of money soon. Guess what i'm getting guys today?

Raxious

Damn, apparently people in the Netherlands still need to wait. Nedgame got a message that Bandai forgot to tell em about an embargo.

mxgt

Banned
Played 3 hours, beat the first boss. Started as swordsman

The game is wonderful so far. Yes, there are frametrate issues on PS3 but the core gameplay is so fucking good that I can easily look past it.

Got my Amazon UK pre-order bonus... Metal piece of Artwork? Limited edition Number 2410 of 2500. I can't remember ever reading about it? Any one else received there's yet? Can anyone shed some light on it? Can't find any info.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000763683

I placed my pre-order on Jan 17, the final day of this offer so not expecting to receive one. I don't remember seeing anything about it before either.

ParityBit

we will know on april 25. i do agree: dark souls was phenomenal in 3D. cannot wait. once you go 3D you cannot go back, everything seems so flat and lifeless afterwards.

It felt so awesome to actually see yourself moving around whatever you were fighting. I swear my skill improved 10 fold when I was in 3D. I could gauge the distance I needed to be to use a weapon such as pole arm, and just everything snapped in that game when I did that.

So yeah .... PC version for me if the 3D is there and as good! My concern is we needed a patch to make it really good. I am hoping we do not need it, but if we do, then we get it ASAP.

Only an 8 hour work day between me and Souls goodness.

Which is good because I still haven't decided what class to start as. Was a Royal my first playthrough in Demon's Souls, a Thief my first playthrough in Dark. My favorite build/runthrough in Dark was a melee/faith build, but I just don't know! So many choices!

ttocs

Played 3 hours, beat the first boss. Started as swordsman

The game is wonderful so far. Yes, there are frametrate issues on PS3 but the core gameplay is so fucking good that I can easily look past it.

Really? The couple reviews I saw said that it ran at a solid 30 fps without issue.

ttocs

I'm not sure if this is an universally valid advice. I started Dark Souls with the heavy-armored Knight class and I learned pretty fast that I need a high movement speed for my preferred style of play. In Dark Souls 2 I will not make the same mistake again. This time I'll definitely start with an agile light-armored class.

I'm mainly concerned about survivability. I'm not as good with really fast characters because I'll get hit a lot. I want to make sure I can survive a few hits so the high armor might be good.

Knights can still learn spells though, right?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm mainly concerned about survivability. I'm not as good with really fast characters because I'll get hit a lot. I want to make sure I can survive a few hits so the high armor might be good.

Knights can still learn spells though, right?

Anyone can do anything given enough time and souls.

mxgt

Banned
Really? The couple reviews I saw said that it ran at a solid 30 fps without issue.

I don't think it's as bad as some people have made it out to be, but there are noticeable drops when a lot of stuff is going on - similar to dark souls

downloaded.

the framerate never gets to blight town levels, that's not what I mean, it's just sorta always *kinda* bad. outdoors it tends to feel about 20ish almost all the time. indoors it gets a bit better sometimes. It's annoying and it detracts from the game, for me, quite a bit.

Bugger, thanks anyway.

Raxious

No other places selling it early?

Nope, both GameMania and MediaMarkt are waiting till friday unless another store decides to start selling. God im so tempted to buy the US version, but im to afraid that I wont be able to play it on my EU account, or any DLC.

Jarnet87

I saw Man vs. Game playing this earlier today, it's giving me much more of a Demon Souls vibe than Dark Souls. Maybe it's only because I saw a small sample but things like the half hp, different healing items, that traveling menu, and other things.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
First death! I rolled into a corner and didn't see the guy coming. Awesome.

Also, from just a couple encounters, dual wielding seems pretty satisfying :p Shnickity Shnack!

Arjen

Nope, both GameMania and MediaMarkt are waiting till friday unless another store decides to start selling. God im so tempted to buy the US version, but im to afraid that I wont be able to play it on my EU account, or any DLC.

Damnit. I'll try Mediamarkt anyway, maybe i'll get lucky.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Okay okay.... I cracked and got the US version from the US PSN! I can't wait till Friday had to cancel shop to pre-order. SO EXCITED!!!

georly

I saw Man vs. Game playing this earlier today, it's giving me much more of a Demon Souls vibe than Dark Souls. Maybe it's only because I saw a small sample but things like the half hp, different healing items, that traveling menu, and other things.

It's a good hybrid between the two. They kept some of the best stuff from both, merged them together into something familiar yet new. This is what a dark souls sequel should be.

Velcro Fly

Watching MANvsGAME livestreaming this. It's so funny when he dies to stuff. Game looks cool but I don't have anything to play it on.

I'm not sure if this is an universally valid advice. I started Dark Souls with the heavy-armored Knight class and I learned pretty fast that I need a high movement speed for my preferred style of play. In Dark Souls 2 I will not make the same mistake again. This time I'll definitely start with an agile light-armored class.
You still survive a lot longer with tank classes, which does help you ease your way into the game as a newcomer. Assuming there are enemies like the early Black Knights in DS2 he won't have much fun when he is one-hitted with an agile class.

That was my experience as least. And it will also make his 2nd playthrough with a agile class much more interesting as it's totally different (and much more fun when you can handle it).

Nintyb

Banned
No idea when UPS is going to drop off my CE today. Wouldn't be a big deal if I were at work but at home on vacation, waiting, argh! Tempted to run up to a red box just to start playing.

cheezcake

Is anyone else on Xbox 360 getting a "The Dark Souls 2 service is not available. Please try again later." when trying to go online?

dalVlatko

This game is kicking my ass so far. Going from 20 estus flasks to just one with half health is killing me.

Besides the frame rate being bad, I'm loving the game.

Is anyone else on Xbox 360 getting a "The Dark Souls 2 service is not available. Please try again later." when trying to go online?

I was just playing and it was working

batbeg

Speaking as someone who is frequently "framerate blind" the framerate is immediately and noticeably not 30fps I feel. It's not enough to detract from my experience but I definitely was taken aback at first.

Only about an hour in, going swordsman and the lack of shield is murder. I was a shield junkie in the previous games so this will be interesting.

Brohan

Damn, apparently people in the Netherlands still need to wait. Nedgame got a message that Bandai forgot to tell em about an embargo.

I called this morning because i noticed the date change on their site but the guy told me that since i got confirmation of the package being sent from the distribution centre, that i should still get it Today.

Edit: yup! Less than a minute after typing this the package arrived!!! Time to do work!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Speaking as someone who is frequently "framerate blind" the framerate is immediately and noticeably not 30fps I feel. It's not enough to detract from my experience but I definitely was taken aback at first.

Only about an hour in, going swordsman and the lack of shield is murder. I was a shield junkie in the previous games so this will be interesting.

Yeah, so far this is how it feels to me:

DS1: framerate capped at 30, tends to be very solid in areas where LOD and enemy pathing don't just outright break it like Blight.

DS2: never bogs down and stays down like Blighttown, but feels far less optimized as a whole. More jerky, less consistent.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Um yes you can travel to all the regions regardless of platform/location? Weird question.

i don't know lol

Clearly you don't understand what "region free" means. In fact it's pretty amusing that you think I was referring to locations in the game.

No, I am talking about whether an NTSC-U copy can be played on a PAL console. Many games can, but I usually need to wait for confirmation before purchasing.

Redd

These questions were probably asked many many times but is it better to install Dark Souls 2 to the X360 hard drive or better to play off the disc?

How many of my friends can I co-op through the story mode at once?

I know in dark souls it was two friends but I'm looking at the back of the cover and it says 2-4. That would be even better for me. I can play with all three of my friends.

Still no party chat only private chat again?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I have this preloaded from the UK PSN store. Will not double-digital-dip on US account because that is just crazy. Will wait and taste glory on Friday.

Playing new Tomb Raider for now... At least it has torches!

... :|

Sioen

Clearly you don't understand what "region free" means. In fact it's pretty amusing that you think I was referring to locations in the game.

No, I am talking about whether an NTSC-U copy can be played on a PAL console. Many games can, but I usually need to wait for confirmation before purchasing.
Need to know this aswell!!

Celegus

Got mine last night! The Black Armor case is really nice, and I didn't even realize it came with the (full!) soundtrack. 8 hours of work to go until I can get back to it... wish I could've taken the day off, but I already had yesterday off for my wife's birthday.

Jb

It won't log in to the Dark Souls 2 game server for me =(

Ver 1.01
Calibrations 1.03

Same thing is happening to me. Maybe it's because the game isn't supposed to be out in Europe until the 14th. Fuck. (legit copy bought from shady Parisian store)

friday

Good to see everyone is enjoying the game. The frame rate stuff is making me feel better about waiting for the PC version, but damn April 25th is a long ways away.

Do we know the details yet on enemies not respawning after so many deaths? I assume they will return after you defeat a boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom