• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilian

Banned
OMG the
piss poor durability on my beloved Falchion!
The thing doesn't last 15 mins! How do I deal with this?

Does anybody know how high ADP you need to get fast rolling like DS? Things feel way too sluggish for my liking.

Otherwise loving it so far. Only died 3 times in 4 hours, and once was to a boss. My DS training is paying off.

Shinjica

Good to see everyone is enjoying the game. The frame rate stuff is making me feel better about waiting for the PC version, but damn April 25th is a long ways away.

Do we know the details yet on enemies not respawning after so many deaths? I assume they will return after you defeat a boss?

I'll put the description in spoiler just in case

The enemy stop respawning after 10/15 times you kill them. There is an item the make them respawn but it seem they became much stronger, like in NG

The odd reviews i've skimmed through say the game is strong till the end which i hope is accurate as i was disappointed with the Demons Ruins and Lost Izalith.

Hope the quality of the last few areas don't drop like in DaS1

SJRB

Gold Member
Good to see everyone is enjoying the game.

R35ciQL.gif

Estimated delivery from Amazon is now the 13th. Thanks for waiting until today to tell me!

Thanks as well for the $15 for my inconvenience. Your transgressions will not soon be forgotten, however.

Mine is also "in transit" but has arrived at my local post office :(

Sucks knowing it's here, but it might come tomorrow. It was processed two hours ago ffs!

Hey, another person from Philadelphia. Neat.

My package is out for delivery, but it's in the hands of the UPS for some reason.

Sometimes it won't register as on vehicle for delivery until 9-10am in my experience with USPS.

I'm in the same boat. Ordered on Amazon and got Thursday as my expected delivery date. Then when it shipped it changed to Wednesday. Now I check this morning and it arrived at my local post office at 6:58 AM. For what it's worth I also ordered the guide, which always had a delivery date of today, and it got to my post office at 6:12 AM.

GbkjG2k.png

Since it updated to being on the truck I'll hold off running to BestBuy to double dip. I got the guide yesterday via FedEx. Not gonna open it till the end credits are rolling. I'm sitting here on my laptop now looking out the window. Waiting for my mail man. He's normally pretty predicable and comes around 12pm-1pm.

Laws00

Amazon still hasnt shipped my game.

should have bought it at gamestop

gamestop.....

Says itll be here by march 17th to 20th........

they took the money out of my bank account :(

Yu Narukami

The enemy stop respawning after 10/15 times you kill them. There is an item the make them respawn but it seem they became much stronger, like in NG

I read somewhere that even bosses respawn NG style, is that true?

Feeroper

The DF comparison is out now for anyone interested.

They don't really recommend one over the other - ps3 has more frame rate issues but no tearing, whereas 360 has a more solid frame rate (between 30-40) however, the tearing is excessive, especially noticeable in bright areas.

They also point out their disappointment that the game doesn't have the look that was showcased earlier on.

I'm getting the Ps3 version myself and am still excited for it. I do detest frame rate issues but since both versions feature stuttering and I have DeS and DkS1 on PS3, I'm just going to keep that, plus I don't want to loose my BA edition as I think they were all pre ordered out for both versions.

The DF comparison is out now for anyone interested.

They don't really recommend one over the other - ps3 has more frame rate issues but no tearing, whereas 360 has a more solid frame rate (between 30-40) however, the tearing is excessive, especially noticeable in bright areas.

They also point out their disappointment that the game doesn't have the look that was showcased earlier on.

I'm getting the Ps3 version myself and am still excited for it. I do detest frame rate issues but since both versions feature stuttering and I have DeS and DkS1 on PS3, I'm just going to keep that, plus I don't want to loose my BA edition as I think they were all pre ordered out for both versions.

I got the PS3 version coming. Ill trade frame rate for no screen tearing any day of the week. Ill play the PC version later for the best of both words.

cheezcake

Same thing is happening to me. Maybe it's because the game isn't supposed to be out in Europe until the 14th. Fuck. (legit copy bought from shady Parisian store)

Yeh that would explain it, it's not supposed to be out in Aus til the 13th so regional servers probably haven't been activated for us yet

Ah well I can wait one day before continuing, I played the first 30 minutes or so and a lot of my fears have been alleviated.

Graphics have been downgraded from the demo but on a technical level still looks as good as Dark Souls. That and the framerate is smooth, plus tearing is FAR less common than comments on here would lead you to believe.

Servbot24

Banned
Ass long as nothing is Blighttown bad I don't really care about framerate. That said I'll definitely be double-dipping for the presumed PS4 version.

Brohan

So damn happy that i got it today instead of the 14th which is the official release date here in the EU. Thank you Nedgame!

friday

Oh cool

So this mostly effects farmers and people who die a lot. I guess I will have to wait and see for myself, but I rarely farm or die that much so this is not a huge deal for me.

Nintyb

Banned
How is the guide for those that have it? Lots of lore and such I hope? Just ordered it from Amazon since they gave me a free Prime trial. Doubt I'll use it much until after my first play through but always handy for quick reference.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna head out the door to go to another city to buy Dark souls 2 guys! i'll probably get the first dark souls 2 too bc i don't have the PS3 version. See ya on the other side guys.

BTW. Where's yoshychan? that dude was crazy for some soul games.

I had this grand master plan of downloading the game at 2am, waking up at 6 to play an hour before work, but I couldn't get my ass to wake up the hour early lol.

Oh well, at least I'm downloaded, installed, and ready to go for tonight.

I think I might do what the poster on the last paged mentioned and go battlemage build so I can experience a large variety of weapons and spells on my first playthrough..

The urge to min max is strong, but on a first play it might be best to experiment with a jack of all trades type character, even if it's not the "best"

daniels

Yeah wow. The game is going to be great, but after playing it a couple hours I agree the framerate on PS3 is on par with Dragon's Dogma. It even does the same thing on my PS3 where the game outright freezes for a split second every once and a while. The framerate, for some crazy reason, is unlocked, so 90% of the time the game is running at around 20fps, then when you're looking at a wall or an area without much stuff it can reach about 50fps. The point is, the picture never looks smooth-- you're always stuttering along somewhere. It's runs worse than Dark Souls on PS3, and I just played it a couple days ago.

From my perspective it absolutely is. We'll see what others say, but I think it's pretty clear.

Thanks for your answer :) well looks like x360 version it is.. hopfully it still works :O its years since i last switchet my 360 on lol

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Clearly you don't understand what "region free" means. In fact it's pretty amusing that you think I was referring to locations in the game.

No, I am talking about whether an NTSC-U copy can be played on a PAL console. Many games can, but I usually need to wait for confirmation before purchasing.

Protip: if a post sounds too crazy to be true, it just might be. Check the spoiler :p sorry I can't help though

Despite the negativity towards this game I am sure it is better than 99% of the games out there anyway. Just that PS4 version on the horizon makes me want to wait and experience it with a bit more appreciation.

There is also the fact that I have not completed Dark Souls either - gave up as I could never beat Smough & Ornstein. I am guessing I have a third or so to finish off, right? Perhaps I should complete that and wait?

Either way the game is coming this friday!

Listonosh

In my experience,
the value of the torch has been exeggerated in previews... Every time you pick one up, time gets added to your torch total. I have about 1h9 min of torch time. I've only used it in select areas. I'm still hoping for a large dark area to use it in :)

There is.
The Gutter
Although to be fair, that is literally the only place I'ved used it so far.
Sooooo

Darkone

It felt so awesome to actually see yourself moving around whatever you were fighting. I swear my skill improved 10 fold when I was in 3D. I could gauge the distance I needed to be to use a weapon such as pole arm, and just everything snapped in that game when I did that.

So yeah .... PC version for me if the 3D is there and as good! My concern is we needed a patch to make it really good. I am hoping we do not need it, but if we do, then we get it ASAP.

You got me intrigued, how can i game DS2 in 3D?
What hardware is needed?

Despite the negativity towards this game I am sure it is better than 99% of the games out there anyway. Just that PS4 version on the horizon makes me want to wait and experience it with a bit more appreciation.

There is also the fact that I have not completed Dark Souls either - gave up as I could never beat Smough & Ornstein. I am guessing I have a third or so to finish off, right? Perhaps I should complete that and wait?

Either way the game is coming this friday!

After S&O, you have 4 areas to visit and bosses to kill, then the final boss. I'd say you're closer to the halfway point of the game than 2/3 finished. There's also the DLC, which is fucking awesome.

Downloading right now.. so stoked. Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time and I am completely in the dark on this one. Could suck, could be masterpiece, bring it!!

Thrakier

Speaking as someone who is frequently "framerate blind" the framerate is immediately and noticeably not 30fps I feel. It's not enough to detract from my experience but I definitely was taken aback at first.

Only about an hour in, going swordsman and the lack of shield is murder. I was a shield junkie in the previous games so this will be interesting.

Sounds horrible. I don't even want to know how this game feels to someone who is sensitive towards framerate issues. Probably horrible. I wasn't able to enjoy TLOU for the same reason.

Really, that shit needs to stop. Thankfully, there is an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom