• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also wondering about this. That tool posted earlier is nice, but without reading weapon/equip spoilers, I have no idea what breakpoints I'm aiming for. Like Sword N'Board, so leaning towards warrior, but I don't really know the advantages of the knight well enough to tell what I'm passing up.

I honestly picked the Swordsman class.

Seems like the most balanced with some good starting Str/Dex and the only thing gimped is health/vigor, which you can always upgrade without compromising a build.

The Warrior class has probably the best starting setup but the 3 INT and lowered ATN/ADT or whatever might hinder a spellsword build/later variety.

But honestly like any souls game, none of it will matter late game.

kaiwing

I currently have the pre order at Gamestop and am seriously debating whether to get it later or just save myself $100 and get it down the line. I have a big Backlog and was wondering for those that got it, are the items worth it? Art book, map and case (figure too?

Also wondering about this. That tool posted earlier is nice, but without reading weapon/equip spoilers, I have no idea what breakpoints I'm aiming for. Like Sword N'Board, so leaning towards warrior, but I don't really know the advantages of the knight well enough to tell what I'm passing up.

I don't know if you've played a souls game before, but You're definitely over thinking it. You can pick any class and still build whatever you want. Souls early game are cheap enough that if you find a sweet weapion you want to level in a particular direction for, go for it!

My advice is to not be too worried about min maxing your character. Not only will you probably want to play again and try a new build when you know more about the game, but isn't there going to be a respec option available at some point(do we have any details on that?)

MilkBeard

My only problem with life gems is that it's a bit annoying to constantly re-equip them in my belt if I'm running low. If anything I think the game is way more punishing with regard to the healing. Your estus count is so low early on, and I ran out of life gems pretty quickly.

It's hilarious, because people were complaining: 'Oh, there's Estus AND health stones? Causulized!!!' But that doesn't seem to be the case, ha ha. They seem to be really nerfed. I bet From developers are thinking, "ha, those players, they think this will be for casuals; just wait till they try to beat a boss with one Estus and 50% health! ha ha ha..."

Anyway, I'll have my copy in less than half an hour. Gonna spend a good few hours digging in.

Zeliard

How does the Black Armor Weapon Set pre-order bonus work with the digital version? I was intending to give the code to someone else, but I don't see where it is.

Astral

In Demon's Souls you can regain your human form by helping players defeat a boss you've already defeated. Can you do that here? I'm so afraid of using my human effigies. I've used one and I already feel like I used too much.

Can anyone answer this? And is there a place you can go before Heide's Ruins? My friend says he's not even there and went to some tree. I didn't even see that.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
haven't played yet. Are healing items in short supply? I think I'm going to miss not being able to fill up an estes flask at bonfires.

Shards aren't super rare. I'm at 6 fills with less than 10 bosses down.

Astral said:
Can anyone answer this? And is there a place you can go before Heide's Ruins? My friend says he's not even there and went to some tree. I didn't even see that.

Haven't tried it yet. However, after the Forest I really think Heide is your best option. I'm trying to think but unless you've done both bosses in the Forest, there's no other place to go.

How does the Black Armor Weapon Set pre-order bonus work with the digital version? I was intending to give the code to someone else, but I don't see where it is.

I'd assume it would be a seperate download and not a code emailed to you unless you bought the copy from an online retailer like Amazon?

Listonosh

There were a lot of them dropping in
the start of the forest of fallen giants
, but after that haven't seen a lot.

Yeah I noticed that too actually. By the time I was done with that area I had about 24 on me, but after that, I honestly got barely any drops. However, in some areas I did get
Radiant Life gems
which are better, but even those I got in very small quantities. Once you get your estus flask count to about 4, I think the life gems stop becoming as useful or important. Really they're just pretty important for early game.

If I picked this up, as my first Souls game ever, how would I fare?

I am assuming it would take forever to figure out considering I am a total Souls Noob and the game doesn't have a tutorial or really explain how to play?

I really have been interested in all the Souls games, but now with Dark Souls 2, its the latest and greatest thing so the hype is getting to me.

Jobbs

Banned
progress update.. and some thoughts.

When I first got to the majula area,
I identified what appeared to be three routes to go to do stuff. the fallen giants forest, the area with the mutant guys with the bulging dicks and the dude sitting there talking about the statue, and the tower with all the giant knights at it.

first,
I took on the fallen giants forest and killed the first boss at the end of it. was surprisingly easy, honestly, and then when I went back to majula no one seemed to have anything to say about my progress or why I just killed that boss or what it actually did. weird.

next, I tried to go to the forest with the bulging dick guys, but found the statue blocking the switch and was unsure what to do.

so from there it seemed I only had one way to go, tot he tower with the knights. I looked hard for other ways to go, and couldn't find them. so I did the tower, and yea, the boss at the end was again, underwhelming and very easy. I have yet to die to a boss in this game.

was there another way to go or were these 2 ways the only ways at this point?

in general, I find the game to lack the same sense of being a world and having unity compared to dark souls 1, which is sort of as I anticipated would be the case. it feels like the nexus and I'm just picking a new level to go to. I hope it becomes less that way as I go, but that's the early impression.

I like that there are more different types of stats begging to be invested in, forcing more choice and specialization. I dig that.

graphically the game has higher highs than dark souls 1, but also has some lows. the framerate varies a lot by area and is generally a bit of a problem on pS3, but playable.

I've placed a summon mark before a boss door a few times and people tried to summon me but it failed each time. it seems some things never change.

Nuszka

Same problem here , preordered digital version witch stated that you will receive black ar edition, but no additional content beyond the dynamic theme was available. Had the game preordered on the eu psn and it had 5 additional seperate items to download but not available until this thursday. Hype for this game won me over so i cancled my initial eu psn and now enjoying the game.

Another question about the pre-order weapons, do you still find them in the game (so you end up having two of each)? I hope that's the case, since otherwise I have no way of knowing when I would find these weapons normally, i.e. when I will allow myself to actually use them.

MilkBeard

Cabin-in-the-woods.gif

Curtains for you.

Astral

Haven't tried it yet. However, after the Forest I really think Heide is your best option. I'm trying to think but unless you've done both bosses in the Forest, there's no other place to go.

So there's a forest you can go to before Heide's? I must have missed that. I'm at Heide's now.

Zeliard

I'd assume it would be a seperate download and not a code emailed to you unless you bought the copy from an online retailer like Amazon?

There doesn't seem to be a separate download either. Judging from other responses I guess this is a current problem for everyone.

Oh well, I was intending to forgo using it regardless. :p

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I identified what appeared to be three routes to go to do stuff. the fallen giants forest, the area with the mutant guys with the bulging dicks and the dude sitting there talking about the statue, and the tower with all the giant knights at it.

first,
I took on the fallen giants forest and killed the first boss at the end of it. was surprisingly easy, honestly, and then when I went back to majula no one seemed to have anything to say about my progress or why I just killed that boss or what it actually did. weird.

next, I tried to go to the forest with the bulging dick guys, but found the statue blocking the switch and was unsure what to do.

so from there it seemed I only had one way to go, tot he tower with the knights. I looked hard for other ways to go, and couldn't find them. so I did the tower, and yea, the boss at the end was again, underwhelming and very easy. I have yet to die to a boss in this game.

in general, I find the game to lack the same sense of being a world and having unity compared to dark souls 1, which is sort of as I anticipated would be the case. it feels like the nexus and I'm just picking a new level to go to. I hope it becomes less that way as I go, but that's the early impression.

I like that there are more different types of stats begging to be invested in, forcing more choice and specialization. I dig that.

graphically the game has higher highs than dark souls 1, but also has some lows. the framerate varies a lot by area and is generally a bit of a problem on pS3, but playable.

I've placed a summon mark before a boss door a few times and people tried to summon me but it failed each time. it seems some things never change.

There is another boss in that first area. However the route you took is what is probably intended.

And yes, the first bosses are pretty underwhelming in difficulty. Roll. Hit. Repeat.

halfbeast

Banned

dude, I've played both souls games and got into the beta, but I'm lost. lol! it's almost like those old 90s adventure games, you have to "pixelhunt" to find key items/characters. was playing for 3 hours and had 13'000 souls with me, not knowing where I can level up.

you need a lot of patience for those games, because you can get very frustrated very fast.

---

so far, I'm enjoying the game, feels a lot bigger and the items are very scarce. I want to do sorcery but since I don't know how to get spells and the likes I went with the swordsman to get a good basic weapon as a start. boy, was that a good choice!

my first boss was
the dude with the halberd where all those giant knights are, he was easy, actually REALLY easy - I'm not sure if this game has some sort of tutorial boss? those unicorn-rhino thingies at the beginning were way too brutal.

I am assuming it would take forever to figure out considering I am a total Souls Noob and the game doesn't have a tutorial or really explain how to play?

I really have been interested in all the Souls games, but now with Dark Souls 2, its the latest and greatest thing so the hype is getting to me.

Someone earlier in the thread asked a similar question, quoting my own answer.

The Souls series is probably not as hard as you may think. People tend to overstate it's difficulty to contrast it against stereotypical modern game design. However, I'm not saying it's easy, either. In the Souls games, you need 'respect' the game, i.e. don't underestimate enemies, be patient, take in your surroundings, be prepared, etc. Running into combat without restraint, like in most action games, is going to get you killed quickly. If you keep this in mind, you're probably ready to take one of them on.

I played through Dark Souls for the first time about a month ago, mostly 'blind' (I've never played Demon's Souls and/or watched walkthroughs/let's plays of either game), and managed to complete it, and I'm not particularly amazing at games. If I can do it, so can you!

Yup summoning is just as borked as Dark Souls.

Really wish they'd use some of the extra money and just go back to the Demon's Souls method, especially since I just replayed through Demon's and it reminded me of how flawless it was.

What way are the
giant knights
everyone is talking about

georly

You got a key from the giant boss. There are 3 doors it opens. 1 of those ways has a path to keep going, but honestly, the best place to go is through heide w/ the stone knights.

Deadstar

Really wish they'd use some of the extra money and just go back to the Demon's Souls method, especially since I just replayed through Demon's and it reminded me of how flawless it was.

I thought they did? This doesn't have dedicated servers like Demon's souls?

Shengar

Demon's Souls use server while Dark Souls use P2P netcode. I thought Scamco used server for this time?

TraBuch

Banned
I died to
Pursuer
about 20 times and I feel so ashamed. Moves are so predictable and easy to dodge, but I just couldn't do it. And then I finally killed him without getting hit once.

Foffy

Banned
Just ordered the Black Armor Edition. Pretty silly that this is somehow cheaper on Amazon than the vanilla retail release. Is this similar to the Limited Edition release of the first game?

Also, I know enemy respawning has changed, and like each further Souls title, is taking more from King's Field. Are there still ways to grind if you feel powering up and staggering everything might be a fair option? It was the only way I could shitcan Artorias in the previous game. :p

koryuken

Same... didn't get mine. I am thinking that the code is going to come via email from PSN. However, by that point, it will be completely useless as the DLC weapons are likely to get outclassed by better weapons.

[NaK]

first,

There are two bosses in the tower with the giants. One of them leads to a dead end, while the other opens a new way forward to the next area.

You can also go back to the forest area and do some more exploring, since there is another boss there, on the roof.

stupei

These games are not as hard as a lot of people make them sound. People who aren't used to them think they're "hard" because every time they die they consider that a failure. It must be "hard" because I keep "failing" when I die. In Dark Souls, death is inevitable. It's not a failure state. Accept that you will die and lose your souls, but that you'll always get more. You'll have more fun and feel more willing to explore.

These games are loads of fun. There's a tutorial at the beginning introducing the basics. All the other mechanics are (largely) new, and if you're lost the online community is super helpful. Buy it. You sound like you want to.

Sure doesn't feel like it. I could be wrong though, I just assumed they went with the P2P route again.

Assuming you're on PS3, those servers were maintained by a different company. That's why they're superior. (To be fair to Namco, Demon's Souls launch day wouldn't have been as strenuous as the series wasn't nearly as popular back then.)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Quick! How much fridge space do I need to install this game from disc on PS3?

Gotta leave for the day in 20 and want to make room now before my copy arrives tonight! OP didn't have the info.

Sullichin

You can go straight to
The Last Bastille
from the forest after beating
the pursuer
. I did this not realizing it wasn't the easiest way to go.

MoxManiac

Got my black armor ps3 version and the case is super cool. Makes up for the ce fiasco that dark souls had. So scamco did something right.

Amadeusz

Neo Member
I just got information from the shop where I ordered the game that the package was sent 1 hour ago, which means that I'll get the game tomorrow!

PRAISE THE SUN.

I'm european though, and I've been wondering if I'll be able to download the day 1 patch right away, whether it's available in EU - does anyone know that?

PS. 360 version.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You can go straight to
The Last Bastille
from the forest after beating
the pursuer
. I did this not realizing it wasn't the easiest way to go.

That's what I meant by both bosses. And agreed - it is not the best option. In fact I would do:

Heide, No'Man's Wharf and then go back to Majula and do Huntsman's Cospe. The Lost Bastille/Sinner's Gate are a bit. . .much right after the starting area.

Assuming you're on PS3, those servers were maintained by a different company. That's why they're superior. (To be fair to Namco, Demon's Souls launch day wouldn't have been as strenuous as the series wasn't nearly as popular back then.)

I just expect more after Dark Souls also being a multimillion selling/critical hit. You'd assume these guys would put more effort into the game, even on launch day.

But the same stuff happens with Blizzard/EA/etc so I guess I'm just disappointed in game companies in general when it comes to online play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom