• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

squadr0n

2 questions, very early game spoilers.

1. where is the white soapstone

2. how do I drop an item in the birds nest for the crow.

2 questions, very early game spoilers.

1. where is the white soapstone

2. how do I drop an item in the birds nest for the crow.

Bro, you gotta skim the thread if you're gonna ask basic answers.

1.) Get it from Pate, the lance dude in the Forest area, after you clear out the area where the gate closes behind you.

2. If its an item he wants, you drop it by going into your inventory and dropping it. That simple. He won't just take any item. Past games its all been very specific rare stuff.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
damn... this game is hard. standard enemies feel way tougher, and the fact that you keep losing more of your life each time you die is just brutal. Also I burned a human effigy and nothing seemed to happen? what gives?

xPhinehas

Picked it up at midnight last night...then went to bed...
: (
I'm at work now counting the minutes until 5:00. 4 hours and 15 min to go and I can only play for maybe 3 hours tonight! :...(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
1 death so far.
KuGsj.gif

njean777

Ok maybe I am stupid but how do I equip the torch? I picked it up and see that it is in my equipment menu, but it will not let me equip it at all....

MilkBeard

Finally got it, and the install went quicker than I thought.

The case is a little bit damaged, which is annoying, but there's nothing I can do because it's an LE. It's not TOO bad, just looks like it got a tiny bit smashed. The LE cases have a part that sticks out so maybe that weird design caused a problem during shipping. Anyway I don't care that much as long as the game plays.

I'm about to start right now...

tookhster

Ok maybe I am stupid but how do I equip the torch? I picked it up and see that it is in my equipment menu, but it will not let me equip it at all....

Took me (and a million others) a while to figure it out, too. You have to go to a bonfire, press triangle/Y to toggle the message from "rest" to "light torch."

BRKsEDU

Neo Member
Do you guys have information on how the online system will match players?

I'm very high level already and I want to be able to play with the new players. I just want to know whether I should consider creating a new character.

Thanks! =D

georly

I'm very high level already and I want to be able to play with the new players. I just want to know whether I should consider creating a new character.

Thanks! =D

I think it's by total number of souls collected. Don't know if it takes lost souls into account or not. Beating the game at lvl 1 will not match you w/ lvl 1 players in NG+

Antagon

Thanks! =D

It's supposedly matched on total souls gained. So yeah, create a new character.

Fbh

Just got mine.

The graphical downgrade was a bit dissapointing and I was thinking about getting a used copy (just to not support BS advertising in videogames).

But I got a mail from my local store saying Namco actually sent them a few Black Armor Editions for pre orders (they NEVER send special editions or promotions where I live) so I just couldn't say no.

As far as "special" editions go (you know, not collectors and stuff) it's one of the nicest cases I own

Clevinger

damn... this game is hard. standard enemies feel way tougher, and the fact that you keep losing more of your life each time you die is just brutal. Also I burned a human effigy and nothing seemed to happen? what gives?

You use it outside of a bonfire = become human

Use it with a bonfire = get invaded less or not at all for a while

Jobbs

Banned
Is this area in the
fallen giants that I opened with the soldier's key, the area with the tree statue with the cryptic inspection message, and 8,000 turtle men around -- is this a dead end? I got some leather armor and stuff, but I don't see anywhere else to go.

I died a comical number of times in this area :D

squadr0n

Bro, you gotta skim the thread if you're gonna ask basic answers.

1.) Get it from Pate, the lance dude in the Forest area, after you clear out the area where the gate closes behind you.

2. If its an item he wants, you drop it by going into your inventory and dropping it. That simple. He won't just take any item. Past games its all been very specific rare stuff.

well i have the item for sure and it doesnt give an option to drop so...

and on another note,

how do i use a torch lol?

Yondy604

Banned
Without spoiling ANYTHING, how is the game?, harder?, easier? Is it any good, how are the improvements?, anything you HATE?, best thing you LOVE about it.

THANKS!

chogidogs

This is my first Souls game and I find the lack of information and direction both frustrating and refreshing. Also, I keep falling to my death.

tookhster

Is this area in the
fallen giants that I opened with the soldier's key, the area with the tree statue with the cryptic inspection message, and 8,000 turtle men around -- is this a dead end? I got some leather armor and stuff, but I don't see anywhere else to go.

I was being chased by like 4 turtle men in this area and somehow made it to the bonfire without getting my ass kicked. They fell down or something. But yeah I think it's a dead end early in the game, right now I went to the area under the cat merchant because it seems like the right place to go, but I'm not sure.

squadr0n

and on another note,

how do i use a torch lol?

NVM, i figured it out, you have to dual weild your right handed weapon at a bon fire. then toggle the bon fire to the second option prompt and hit X to light bon fire. The torch will stay lit if the player two-hands his right-handed weapon although the effects of the torch (the illumination it provides) only appear when one-handing the right-handed weapon. The torch will also be lost if the player rolls through water while holding it.

Is Canada its own region or is it lumped in with other NA countries? Just wondering as I have a friend getting the game who I imagine will want to try to join up at some point.

Also: The opening is incredible!

TheContact

Picked this up for PS3 just now, will play it when I get the time. I played about 10 minutes of Demons Souls so I don't really know what to expect, the GameStop guy just kept saying I should expect to be punished. The reviews for this game are great, I can't wait to try it out. Any tips for a Dark Souls noob? What's the most user friendly class to start out as?

georly

Is this area in the

Yeah, pretty sure it's a dead end. At least for now. There's a bonfire, but not much else. Dunno what the tree thing does yet. The door you want is behind the one turtle man, in the area you go to right before you unlock the door from the other side of the ladder.

georly

um after the
forest giant boss fight
is that suppose to be a dead end? because comments keep saying to look carefully

I thought it was a dead end? You do get a key though that unlocks 3 (afaik) doors. 2 of which are dead ends for now.

Edit: By the way, this early game speculation, and helping people out schoolyard-style brings me back to NES/SNES days. Only dark souls can do this anymore. So good. No other game makes things so obtuse or hidden and players actually WANT to figure things out by communicating w/ others. Any other game and no one would tolerate it.

Don't know if anyone has found one yet, but without spoiling too much can anyone say how early you can get an Uchigatana or something similar? I needs my katana. :(

NIN90

Now this is a strange bug.
I made a balding dude in character creation. I could clearly see that the game accepted my character as I started as Deprived so I was totally nude after character creation.
Now a couple hours later I removed all my armor for no particular reason and then I noticed that I'm playing as a woman?? With a completely different appearance?

Without spoiling ANYTHING, how is the game?, harder?, easier? Is it any good, how are the improvements?, anything you HATE?, best thing you LOVE about it.

THANKS!

Game is great. Not sure if easier or harder, but the ai seems to be a bit smarter (i.e. you can't just circle strafe all day to get to a mob's back) Only thing I've disliked is a mechanic that has mobs stop spawning after killing them several (10+?) times (I like to farm and overlevel and max out upgrades on many weapons to goof around with. There is a way to make them spawn again I believe) Best thing? Enjoying a new world to explore.

BRKsEDU

Neo Member
Did you get in a boat? Because I've been looking for that ever since hearing it in a preview from that one actor in this.

Edit : coffin, not boat, yeah

You can change your sex by going to the coffin located near the two cyclops in Things Betwixt (turn left after leaving the bonfire area).

Can't see shit without a torch. Wish I had like, a shield with an infinite torch built in.

Sounds like an improperly calibrated display. My monitor is gloomy without a torch but you can still see around, during the brightness calibration at the beginning of the game I even put it all the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom