• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

Ok guys thanks for telling me how to light torches btw, any who I want to make a dex/adaptability/ endurance character and I do not know who to start with. I tried explorer but I do not care for dual daggers and the fact that he starts with crap dex. Which character should I choose?

Toxi

Banned
Majula's pretty.
Frame rate dips aren't that noticeable for me since it's such a chill place.

I'll just keep going slow and taking my time.

So now that people are starting to get further in the game... any recommendations for the item to choose at the beginning? My game should arrive in the next hour or so.

zewone

Waiting on UPS...

XpFwBfx.png

Fbh

Picked this up for PS3 just now, will play it when I get the time. I played about 10 minutes of Demons Souls so I don't really know what to expect, the GameStop guy just kept saying I should expect to be punished. The reviews for this game are great, I can't wait to try it out. Any tips for a Dark Souls noob? What's the most user friendly class to start out as?

Advice for a noob...hm:

- Play it slowly, if you go running around like it was God of War you will die... A LOT.
- Don't just blindly attack enemies, try to lure them towards you and see what kind of attacks they have
- IMO, mobility is more useful than armor. I personally preffer to use an armor that lets me do a decent roll instead of one with higher defence that slows me down
- Don't be afraid to use a Wiki
- If you are truly stuck in a boss fight and you are ready to give up there is allways the option to summon 2-3 other people which is basically enabling "easy mode". Seriously, at least in DS1 every single boss turns into a joke if you summon a few people (well, as long as they are there to help and not troll around)

The game is harder in the early game because everything is so scarce. In Dark Souls you could easily upgrade your gear with Andre and dominate. In DS2 the first blacksmith only sells 10 shards. I was panicking a bit over the feeling that I'd waste them on the wrong gear. Pretty sure this is an illusion but From has succeeded in making even vets anxious!

Curious_George

Neo Member
Ok guys thanks for telling me how to light torches btw, any who I want to make a dex/adaptability/ endurance character and I do not know who to start with. I tried explorer but I do not care for dual daggers and the fact that he starts with crap dex. Which character should I choose?

Swordsman or Bandit imo. Swordsman is going to be a lot less tanky at the start with only 4 vit but he also has decent starting magic stats, so if you want magic later then he'd be good for that too. Bandit has low adaptability to start but his other melee stats are all great and he doesn't have many wasted stats in magic if you don't want it. Just start leveling adaptability immediately with him since you should be fine with the rest of his stats (my personal plan).

Sakura

Sounds like an improperly calibrated display. My monitor is gloomy without a torch but you can still see around, during the brightness calibration at the beginning of the game I even put it all the way down.

At the beginning it said adjust until you can see the flame but not the dragon, but even at full I couldn't see the dragon.

tookhster

So does anybody know where to go after the first boss?

I ran into the Pursuer and got my ass kicked 2 times, I'm assuming I need to fight him later. There's an area under the stairs near the cat merchant and I just lit the bonfire there. It's the area with the giant knights. Is that the "right" place to go now?

njean777

Swordsman or Bandit imo. Swordsman is going to be a lot less tanky at the start with only 4 vit but he also has decent starting magic stats, so if you want magic later then he'd be good for that too. Bandit has low adaptability to start but his other melee stats are all great and he doesn't have many wasted stats in magic if you don't want it. Just start leveling adaptability immediately with him since you should be fine with the rest of his stats (my personal plan).

Yeah I was thinking about swordsman, think I will roll one instead and start over. Only got past the starting area so no big deal to try something else.

How's the game look and play on PS3?
I've looked at some of the downgrade thread and was a bit concerned about the changes in texture and lighting but also wondered if anyone noticed impact on or issues with gameplay? No spoilers please.

Pretty much identically to Dragons Dogma. The first area you start in has the worst framerate of any other area I've been to. It's totally fine. I much prefer it over the 360 versions tearing, but your mileage may vary, obviously.

When it gets "bad" it seems only drop around 23-24fps, which is nowhere near the shitshow of Blight Towns 15 or 7 fps.

hoss

Just picked up my copy and the guide during my lunch break. They are both hanging out on my desk now, randomly throwing shit onto the floor and telling me how much I suck. Can't wait to get home and open them up.

Advice for a noob...hm:

- Play it slowly, if you go running around like it was God of War you will die... A LOT.
- Don't just blindly attack enemies, try to lure them towards you and see what kind of attacks they have
- IMO, mobility is more useful than armor. I personally preffer to use an armor that lets me do a decent roll instead of one with higher defence that slows me down
- Don't be afraid to use a Wiki
- If you are truly stuck in a boss fight and you are ready to give up there is allways the option to summon 2-3 other people which is basically enabling "easy mode". Seriously, at least in DS1 every single boss turns into a joke if you summon a few people (well, as long as they are there to help and not troll around)

But you can't summon people without human Effigy. And this item seems to be very rare. :/

TheContact

Played 3 hours, beat the first boss. Started as swordsman

The game is wonderful so far. Yes, there are frametrate issues on PS3 but the core gameplay is so fucking good that I can easily look past it.

Reminds of me of my thoughts of GTA V, the game was so good I barely noticed it

JoeFenix

Does the
Company of Champions
level up the enemies or something? I joined it and while I still haven't died in the Forest of Giants I get the feeling that the enemies are hitting way harder than they should at this point in the game.

Can't really find any info online...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Does the
Company of Champions
level up the enemies or something? I joined it and while I still haven't died in the Forest of Giants I get the feeling that the enemies are hitting way harder than they should at this point in the game.

Yes, joining it makes the game harder

Sullichin

Does the
Company of Champions

Yes, I don't know to what extent though.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
do we have any idea just how rare human effigies are? I know you can
buy them at the merchant at the second bonfire of the forest area. looks like she only sold 3 though

LordCanti

Anyone at fairly high level (70+) that happens to be (late-ish game area name/boss name spoiler)
at the Iron Keep or past on the PS3, and willing to help me kill the guy with the fire whip/sword thing? I'd really appreciate it: I've been stuck for a while and the NPC summon is terrrrrribleeeee.

do we have any idea just how rare human effigies are? I know you can
buy them at the merchant at the second bonfire of the forest area. looks like she only sold 3 though

You can run out fairly easily. I suggest saving them for bosses that are really giving you trouble.

Audioboxer

Any opinions on miracles so far? Planning on going a cleric and doing a STR build. Also does pyro scale with faith or int? Cheers

You rabid Souls fans are making me quote myself! Any clerics to report in? Its the only thing that will keep me going to Friday, I need info!

I wish there was a way to recreate the appearance of your character. I'm not all that far or anything but it would be nice since the way your character looks in the creator is not exactly how they look in game.

stupei

I haven't done it yet, but in dark souls, if you put down a summoning sign and help someone beat a boss you gain your humanity back.

If it works that way again, it seems like they're probably trying to encourage people to join in and help others more often than they might have.

Gorillaz

Cooping a boss with a random dude and just got my shit pushed in...literally

forest giant boss stomped on me and killed me in one go

I wish there was a way to recreate the appearance of your character. I'm not all that far or anything but it would be nice since the way your character looks in the creator is not exactly how they look in game.

I don't know how possible it is to make characters that don't look like total fuglords, but if you're playing a build that isn't going to end up with full armor covering them take comfort in the fact that you'll probably be a zombie most of the game.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys guess what i got:

la5NDif.jpg

The holy trinity is finally complete. I actually had to go to 3 stores in viña del mar to find a copy of DS2, Zmart was the only who had a bunch of copies which is too bad because they are priciest store in Chile so i payed a premium.... but who the fuck cares i got Dark Souls 2 baby unlike some of you! Seriously now I feel bad for those of you who haven't gotten their copy yet.
Anyway i'll start Dark Souls 1 first just to see how they compare.

bigol

I like it!

-Start Deprived
-Join CoC Covenant
-Carry a torch at all times pretending that all these brightly lit caves are dark

That's the way it's going to be!

You can still lower brightness so caves are really dark and you really need to use torch :p

So does anybody know where to go after the first boss?

I ran into the Pursuer and got my ass kicked 2 times, I'm assuming I need to fight him later. There's an area under the stairs near the cat merchant and I just lit the bonfire there. It's the area with the giant knights. Is that the "right" place to go now?

There is two crossbows in the boss area that you can activate and shoot. It literally two shots him.

Zeliard

Still super early on but I'm already really liking the way dual-wielding works, especially now that we have an extra weapon slot for each hand.

Using the starting Swordsman dual weaps the different R2/L2 attacks are already useful, since one is a thrust and the other is an upward swing. I also found a regular dagger plus the trusty ol' Bandit's Knife, and using two weapons of the same class lets you go into a power stance which adds neat special moves to L1/L2.

I also really like the ability to two-hand each weapon easily (though if you're using two weapons of the same class, you can't two-hand the left one since holding triangle puts you in the power stance).

So far using two weapons with similar R1/L1 attacks doesn't seem to add much if you alternate those attacks. Seems better in that case to use one or the other for normal attacks, since there doesn't seem to be an attack speed increase or lower endurance usage if you alternate between them. Might change later on, as I experiment with different weapons and get ADP up.

And since there's a third weapon slot it's even feasible to keep two different sets of dual weapons and also have a shield prepared for when things may get too rough, or to keep a shield up when going through an environment with a potential ambush.

Seems like there is going to be some fun variety there.

dralla

Probably been asked, but can you use the PS4 controller on the PS3 version?

Amazon sold out of preorders so I'm gonna have to go to a store after work. I haven't bought a game in a store in a long ass time, I hope I can find it.

Damn you take quite a bit of fall damage at any height it seems, lol.

Also got the entire tutorial section lit up. I think this game looks awesome *shrugs*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom