• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dies Iræ

I'm at the first bornfire. I was previously able to light my torch here... but it's no longer giving me the option to toggle from rest at bonfire to light torch. Any ideas why?

Toxi

Banned
lt+3+dark+souls+_64adfb7ed2690d45ada61324e409f55f.gif

DS2 is rated Teen?
I really don't know why.

Persona7

Banned

Feels good. Oh so good.

nice, I have three sealed copies of the demons souls deluxe edition. I will never sell them.

This is weird, UPS already came by today and dropped off some PSP games and Armored Core Verdict Day...But no Dark Souls 2. It says it is out for delivery though.

Dies Iræ;103964457 said:
I'm at the first bornfire. I was previously able to light my torch here... but it's no longer giving me the option to toggle from rest at bonfire to light torch. Any ideas why?
Each torch you pick up only has 5 minutes worth of light. After that you need to find a new torch.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's a horror satire. It has scary moments, but the whole movie is a commentary on the sad state of the horror movie tropes that US films are doing. The film praises Japan's efforts. It's still a horror movie with a setting twist. Your wife still may not like it. I would definitely check it out if I were you though. The cinematic trailer doesn't tell you what the movie is about, it comes off as a normal horror movie. When you see it on film, there's a big reveal that happens right in the very beginning that sets it apart. I don't want to spoil it for you

Cheers. Sounds like my cup of tea, at least :)

Gotta love the Dark Souls community: Co-op, invasions, movie recommendations :)

bigol

This is an important link to check servers

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/

This is the message on website

Dark Souls II for PS3 is currently experiencing occasional difficulty with some online matching features. NAMCO BANDAI Games is currently working with FromSoftware to address all difficulties and will provide an update shortly.
Thank you for your understanding.

Any other Sorcerers out there. Do you know how to aim magic in 1st person? Also I thought there were ways to do a slower but stronger version of the attacks.

georly

Any other Sorcerers out there. Do you know how to aim magic in 1st person? Also I thought there were ways to do a slower but stronger version of the attacks.

I think they took both of those things out. Got sorc up to lvl 40 and for the life of me didn't notice any damage increase while 2 handing. Also, you can't aim first person. You *CAN* with crossbow, but not w/ staff, unfortunately. I think they took it out (unless it's something you get later?)

I think they took both of those things out. Got sorc up to lvl 40 and for the life of me didn't notice any damage increase while 2 handing. Also, you can't aim first person. You *CAN* with crossbow, but not w/ staff, unfortunately. I think they took it out (unless it's something you get later?)
Oh that's a bummer I was looking forward to 1st person.

Geeun

I need help on picking between a warrior or knight for pure strength. According to wikis, the warrior seems to start off with more strength (15) than the knight (11), yet I see people saying the knight has more strength. I'm going for a pure Strength build. No magic/faith. So I would think the warrior is the class to go with right? Unless I'm missing something. If anyone can help me out with this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Gorillaz

holy shit there so many
turtle knights
by the 3rd bonfire in the first '"real" area after the tutorial
forest of giants

there was like 8 of them and i had no idea where to go from there...said whatever and took the L

LOVING IT

I just got owned by
a pack of small piggies XD
. The HUB area is gorgeous.

My first death was rolling away
from them
and
falling down the hole

I was like, 'Well shit, that's dumb. Why would I run away from
tiny pigs
? And who the hell
put this fucking hole here in the middle of town
?!?!'

AngryMoth

Really like the level design of this first area. Just beat the 2nd boss, game is great so far.

So how does rolling work now? I've noticed I'm over 50% but my roll speed seems just as fast as when I'm naked.
I keep picking up torches but I don't see them in my inventory, what gives?
Check your equipment screen, tells you how long you can use a torch based on how many you have. Hit triangle when next to a bonfire to toggle the option to light one.

embalm

So the lighting issue has been solved. If you use the recommended brightness, the game looks far better. Especially the outdoor areas. When those are bright it looks terrible.

The dynamic lighting is caused by torches. Burn a torch or light a post and its dynamic lights all over the place.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Love dual bandit knives in special stance, but if I'm vs a mob there is no way to defend myself. The damage vs the stamina management is rough lol. Bleed is going to be soon in pvp with the stamina debuff hnnnngg

Kamina

Golden Boy
Hollowing is reversed by using Humanity at a bonfire in DS1. It's completely reversed in this one.
Nah, i'm not being sarcastic lol. I meant that in Dark Souls you have to use the Humanity at the bonfire menu to reverse hollowing. In Dark Souls II if you do that it doesn't reverse hollowing; you have to just consume it.
OH! Of course! Though, i never saw this as 'burning'. But now I'm with you, thanks!

So the lighting issue has been solved. If you use the recommended brightness, the game looks far better. Especially the outdoor areas. When those are bright it looks terrible.

The dynamic lighting is caused by torches. Burn a torch or light a post and its dynamic lights all over the place.

No it hasn't. Turning the brightness all the way down doesn't make shadows that didn't exist before magically appear.

ttocs

I need help on picking between a warrior or knight for pure strength. According to wikis, the warrior seems to start off with more strength (15) than the knight (11), yet I see people saying the knight has more strength. I'm going for a pure Strength build. No magic/faith. So I would think the warrior is the class to go with right? Unless I'm missing something. If anyone can help me out with this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

From what I gather, the Knight is going to be more of a tank where the warrior will be more weapon focused. But this is only early game and you can build into whatever you want. So, pick based on how your first hours in the game will be.

Exr

Is it just me or are recovery animations for attacks way longer? I'm constantly finding myself attacking and thinking I'd be able to block in time only to get smashed.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
All right guys/gals I got Dark Souls II and watched my brother play the intro for a bit. He picked swordsman.

I usually go a warrior class in any RPG, but I'm deciding between Knight, Swordsman and Warrior. Any recommendations or which route you choose?

Also what item is the best item to start out with? Spoiler tags please but I like my Dark Souls experience to be as easy as possible with a lot of co-op thrown in.

Filth

Is it just me or are recovery animations for attacks way longer? I'm constantly finding myself attacking and thinking I'd be able to block in time only to get smashed.

Yep happened to me to. I think we need to level agility

I'm just at the starting part and you can definitely tell the character/weapon sounds aren't as good. It does kind of have this knock off version feel

Geeun

From what I gather, the Knight is going to be more of a tank where the warrior will be more weapon focused. But this is only early game and you can build into whatever you want. So, pick based on how your first hours in the game will be.
Will do. Thanks

I can't level up because most of the enmies are gone
I can't turn into human form because the item is rare
I can't gain souls by summoning because the servers don't work
I can't go into the next area because it's too difficult

Hmm..something doesn't work here.

AngryMoth

All right guys/gals I got Dark Souls II and watched my brother play the intro for a bit. He picked swordsman.

I usually go a warrior class in any RPG, but I'm deciding between Knight, Swordsman and Warrior. Any recommendations or which route you choose?

Also what item is the best item to start out with? Spoiler tags please but I like my Dark Souls experience to be as easy as possible with a lot of co-op thrown in.
Regarding starting item,
i picked putrefied something which turned out pretty good cos you can trade it for a titanite slab in the tutorial area.

Feindflug

Jesus, i invaded someone IMMEDIATELY after using the orb, praise the sun!

That's great to hear! hopefully the problems will be ironed out in the next few days.

I'm thinking to start both PS3 and 360 versions...Dickwraith on the PS3 and Sunbro on the 360. :D

I have to wait till Friday though. :p

batbeg

Played for 7 hours but gotta sleep before work, and then two more days before I'll be able to play it again. It's been an incredible 7 hours though, I've got to say. Oddly despite constant problems with the previous games online has been flawless for me so far and I've had a lot of fun helping others (I'd rather not summon unless I get stuck). Don't seem to gain humanity upon helping others beat a boss which kind of sucks though (or maybe it's incremental?).

I saw you were meant to be able to see the number of deaths you've had in a preview, where do I find said information? I can find worldwide deaths but not my own.

Zeliard

I'm not ashamed to admit my first (and thus far only) death was in the tutorial area.

In that section where the message tells you to look around carefully, I just ran forward like a fool and fell into an abyss (in my defense, I had some glare on my screen and didn't see it).

I had my guard down since it was a tutorial area, and got punished for it.

Jb

Man, putting another boss right after the
Last Giant
was fucking mean :,( Lost 14k souls because of it.

Listonosh

So let me tell you what's sort of bullshit about this game's numerous death penalties.

None of them are bad on their own, but picture this: you're stuck on a boss. You have nowhere else to go right now, and because you've died so many times enemies aren't spawning anymore. You don't have
Any effigies to use to become human, and your health bar is stuck at 50%.

Grinding for levels is pretty much out of the question. Effigies cost 5k souls, but again, grinding is made much more arduous thanks to the de spawning enemies. Fighting the boss is made all the tougher thanks to your lowered health.

Unless you really luck out and ace the boss, you're almost completely SOL. It always felt like there was something else to do in DeS and DkS - I think roadblocks happen much more frequently than in previous games.

I actually made a very similar post about this same topic around page 103. Back then I felt like I was stuck in one area with no other area to go to. However, I then learned that's not the case. You can delay a boss fight and instead go to one of the other locations and get better there and return once you feel like you're high enough SL.

It's definitely an annoyance early game but it becomes less so later. As an example, I farmed a later area, small stretch of land until the enemies stopped spawning. I then was able to level no joke about 8 SL. Now imagine if the enemies always respawned, the leveling would be insane, and I'd become WAY too overpowered. However, this does have to do with the game's Souls > Level ratio. Meaning, you now need WAY less souls to acquire a single SL than you did in previous games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom