• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I finally was able to play today, have only played for a couple of hours so far, only saw the first Boss,
the last Giant or something
in phantom form, I did not play the beta and was avoiding as many spoilers as possible, so my quick first impressions:

*Combat is a lot, lot slower than in was in Dark Souls, feel almost clunky to me [I now some people say the same about DS, but I never found it true then] this time around it is actually annoying me, attacking is slower, moving is slower, drinking estus is slower. I understand ADAPTABILITY helps with this, but still I find it quite annoying

**Game starts very slow, probably not by normal games standards, you have your CG intro cutscene, then another cutscene then some exposition, I know I;m nitpicking but coming from Demon's and Dark DSII intro felt so slow.

***Is it just me or weapons break much faster now?

****Do you have to be full human to see summoning sings? I heard you can still get invaded while hollow so you would think you could also summon some help there

I still haven't gotten used to the controls yet, I kept dying too much because I haven't been able to adapt yet, so I stopped playing for now, will go back later

Jobbs

Banned
I see ghosts fine, I see messages fine, I see signs fine, I place signs fine, but 100% of the time so far, if someone tires to use my sign it fails, and if I try to use anyone else's sign it fails. I'm sitting here hitting peoples signs over and over and it fails every time over and over.

what is this? do I need to mess with router settings?

Yasadril

I see ghosts fine, I see messages fine, I see signs fine, I place signs fine, but 100% of the time so far, if someone tires to use my sign it fails, and if I try to use anyone else's sign it fails. I'm sitting here hitting peoples signs over and over and it fails every time over and over.

i think what is happening is that someone else is trying to summon

*Combat is a lot, lot slower than in was in Dark Souls, feel almost clunky to me [I now some people say the same about DS, but I never found it true then] this time around it is actually annoying me, attacking is slower, moving is slower, drinking estus is slower. I understand ADAPTABILITY helps with this, but still I find it quite annoying.

Eh? Movement is WAY faster, they specifically changed it to be faster than DS. I find combat in general faster overall. Estus is slower, but again that's on purpose.

The weapons do break way too easily though, I agree.

Fbh

I'm just wondering here.

If they aventually announce a "Prepare to die again" PS4 version.
Would it be possible for them to allow Ps3 users to use their savefile on Ps4?:

It shouldn't be that hard to do, right?

tookhster

Thanks, guys.

I heard a lot of people having summoning trouble. I think it's just day 1 server issues.

Krakn3Dfx

Had to sully myself by entering a WalMart, but managed to score a Black Armor PS3 copy this morning.

post-15625-Key-and-Peele-Liam-Neesons-gif-ranL.gif

Jobbs

Banned
i think what is happening is that someone else is trying to summon

so I can sit here watching signs pop up outside a boss room, hitting them as they pop up, wackamole style, by the dozens, and every single one fails instantly, that's not what that sounds like.

Sounds like a lot of the subtle mechanics saw huge changes

Does it still feel like dark souls from a gameplay perspective?

I hear mixed feelings on the animation work

Cross posting this from the lighting thread. Figured it'd be worthwhile here too.

Early/mid game spoilers below that highlight how detrimental the lighting changes are:

in No Man's Wharf, there is a giant torch you can light hanging from the ceiling by using a Pharros Lockstone. Considering this is one of the first truly brutal areas of the game, finding this giant torch would basically be a momentous, triumphant step forward, as it lights the whole area. With the original lighting I imagine this could have been a pretty iconic moment, as it would have bathed a huge pitch-black area in firelight.

As it stands, though, it makes a few enemies slightly annoyed at the fire and back off a bit. It's a total waste of a Lockstone. You can see everything without torches, so lighting the giant one is pointless.

koryuken

General question for everyone -- how long did it for you to die for the first time?

I am quite proud of myself. I played very carefully and did not die for about 2-3 hours. My first death was at the hands of the Pursuer.

Zeliard

Eh? Movement is WAY faster, they specifically changed it to be faster than DS. I find combat in general faster overall. Estus is slower, but again that's on purpose.

The weapons do break way too easily though, I agree.

Prior to putting points into ADP, rolling and attack speeds are definitely much slower than in previous games since there's now a windup to them.

How long do you have to play before the MP kicks in? Invasions and summons I mean.

Is there is a specific area after which its on? Like DaS had post Firelink shrine.

georly

There is two crossbows in the boss area that you can activate and shoot. It literally two shots him.

He kept breaking them before i could use them.

Oh wow, thanks a bunch. So is that the right way to go right
after the first boss
? I'm just looking for guidance lol.

Thanks, guys.

I disagree with yasadril

The right way to go after the first boss is through heide and fight the dragon rider.

TheContact

What level of horror are we talking about? My wife hates horror movies.

Sorry to be OT. :)

It's a horror satire. It has scary moments, but the whole movie is a commentary on the sad state of the horror movie tropes that US films are doing. The film praises Japan's efforts. It's still a horror movie with a setting twist. Your wife still may not like it. I would definitely check it out if I were you though. The cinematic trailer doesn't tell you what the movie is about, it comes off as a normal horror movie. When you see it on film, there's a big reveal that happens right in the very beginning that sets it apart. I don't want to spoil it for you

TraBuch

Banned
General question for everyone -- how long did it for you to die for the first time?

I am quite proud of myself. I played very carefully and did not die for about 2-3 hours. My first death was at the hands of the Pursuer.

Those troll things in the tutorial area. Ran down there to attack one and didn't notice there was a second.

isual

darn. not a big deal but,

my steel case has damage in the back, silver nicks basically..

should i chat up amazon and ask for a partial refund ?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I swear to jesus, noah thor and zeus if this system throws another update at me i will shake it until its insides become a fine powder.

Pretty sure they are getting slammed

I wouldn't expect the online to run smoothly for a good while.

This is quickly becoming the norm for online games now. Especially at this volume of users

That means I'm stuck now.
Beat the first boss, cannot beat the second one (I'm too weak). And I have no chance fighting the
giants
in the second area.

JoeFenix

You can still lower brightness so caves are really dark and you really need to use torch :p

Not really, unless I literally want to never see anything. I've tried various combos of monitor/in-game brightness settings and couldn't find anything that would somewhat replicate the intended experience.

Question about traversal and warping.

I realize you can use bonfires to warp now, but is the overall world as connected as DS1 was? Like, can I walk from Majula to anywhere I'd be able to warp to?

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, so this game is fucking awesome so far. It looks quite good actually. I'm not really that bothered by the lack of pitch black areas at the moment. My one nitpick so far is that anything that requires pressing forward and an attack button at the same time feels inconsistent. I'm sure I just need to get used to it but I don't see myself ever getting consistently good at parrying as a swordsman. Even when I correctly activate the parry, the timing feels so strange. I haven't done one yet.

Thinking of playing a Swordsman, how is its play style compared to Warrior/Knight?

Sorry, had to sleep.

Lots of being really careful, running away, running attacks, looking for openings. Nothing exceptionally different. Your damage output is ridiculously awesome, and you have enough endurance to get by as long as you are careful. Weapon degradation is ridiculously fast now, so you will be switching around your weapons if you don't want them to break on you. You start with
+1 weapons
, which is neat. If you want to use a shield without getting pwned by not having the required stats, you will need to put
one
point(s) into strength.

One kind of crappy thing I noticed with the new engine: you cannot attack through enemy bodies anymore. Only one at a time, or when they are next to each other. This almost got me killed several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom