• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Decided to go good old warrior class and picked the extended HP ring.

I love playing Dark Souls with jolly cooperation.

PSN: Kastrioti516

Zukuu

Banned
Did anyone found lances yet? I'm curious how the move set is. How are they compared to Spears' moveset? And how is their range? Can u use them behind a shield?

aFIGurANT

Wow way to not make this game un-obtuse. Took me looking online to figure out where the get the estus from but supposedly talking to that lady should allow me to level up too. Of course I can't level up at the bonfire or by talking to the hooded lady. Anyone know how to level up early on in the game? I haven't killed/fought a boss yet if that matters.

2AdEPT

I know it, but not everyone will. Lots of people will play it with the default layout. Moronic choice, the stick's buttons aren't suitable for fast gameplay actions.

I tend to agree, they probably tried it in the past when mapping the controls and the consensus was likely circle back then and that's why we got it then.

With that said, my intial impressions overall are great but, that jump in the
tutorial!!!!
I make it across to get the item 100%, not one death....has anyone made it back ????!???!? I didn't ......could have been late at night or something, but I went down to 50% health and eventually lost ALL my 2000 souls after about 5 attempts of retrieving my souls ->death. I wasted a whole bunch of life gems on learning the attacks of those
ogres
and collected the souls with my explorer and his frigging dagger.....and even with weaker gear I died way more than I thought I should have....nothing felt cheap until that jump though!!!

No one ever cared about my messages :(

I left one in front of the depressed guy saying he needed to get a woman. Since we are going to teen rating I thought I had to leave a dirty one behind the health lady.

Man loving this game. the sense of exploration and discovery is second to none.

Some early gear spoilers
Just fond the Flame Long Sword by the second fog gate in the Forest of Falled Giants. It's buck nasty on these guys. Shame I found it right after buying and upgrading a Estoc

Zeliard

Wow way to not make this game un-obtuse. Took me looking online to figure out where the get the estus from but supposedly talking to that lady should allow me to level up too. Of course I can't level up at the bonfire or by talking to the hooded lady. Anyone know how to level up early on in the game? I haven't killed/fought a boss yet if that matters.

Keep talking to her.

Swordsman strikes me as possibly the toughest class to start with other than Deprived, since you have no shield, no ranged attacks, low Adaptability, and the lowest Vigor stat (until you find or level up these things).
And for such low Vigor, you start with almost 800 hp. It looks like all the stats are "inflated" compared to Dark Souls.
The new Adaptability stat is the biggest change. Since it's so low at the start for Swordsman, your swings have a noticeable wind-up and recovery time to them, as does your roll-dodge.

I do think it was a strange decision to have a stat like that be so low off the bat for a dual-wielding, lightly-armored character.
Is it confirmed that Adaptability affects attack speed and recovery?

MilkBeard

I've reached my 4th bonfire and haven't died yet. Seems like Explorer is a pretty good class to start out with. I seem to have pretty good defense, and haven't had much trouble yet. The enemies have been set up to ambush me a few times but I was able to work my way through. Fun.

Oh yeah...
Praise the Sun! Looks like a familiar fellow :)

Does anyone agree with me that "rolling the dice" is the funniest/coolest gesture for the starting emotes?? Me and two summons tagged teamed the 3rd boss and ROLLED DICE like mother fuckers, it was glorious!

TheExodu5

Banned
Question. I want to play this on my roommate's PS3 (mine is at my girlfriend's), but I've maxed my system activation limit and can't revoke them for another few months. Can I still play and use the save synchronization feature? If not, can I at least copy saves through USB?

Maybesew

Swordsman strikes me as possibly the toughest class to start with other than Deprived, since you have no shield, no ranged attacks, low Adaptability, and the lowest Vigor stat (until you find or level up these things).

r.

Keep in mind that most classes don't have a shield at the start. Knight and bandit also don't. I haven't created all the classes but I think classes with shield are the minority.

how does one use the torch ?

Light it at the bonfire. Hit the toggle instead of resting.

Zukuu

Banned
Question. I want to play this on my roommate's PS3 (mine is at my girlfriend's), but I've maxed my system activation limit and can't revoke them for another few months. Can I still play and use the save synchronization feature? If not, can I at least copy saves through USB?
PS+ online save maybe?

IF you have a physical copy you can play it on as many PS3s as you want. If you download it you can download it on up to 2 separate PS3s.

Grinchy

Banned

The new Adaptability stat is the biggest change. Since it's so low at the start for Swordsman, your swings have a noticeable wind-up and recovery time to them, as does your roll-dodge.

I do think it was a strange decision to have a stat like that be so low off the bat for a dual-wielding, lightly-armored character.

Yeah it is very strange. I think I'll pump up adaptability for a bit because I'm still getting rocked. Like you say, the dodging has quite a recovery to it, so even if I keep dodging perfectly, I can't go in for the hit. If I get in a hit, the animation takes a long time and I'm vulnerable to any other enemy or my target's quicker attacks.

I am going to go back to getting my ass kicked for a while haha

There's this guy in white armor just sitting near a tree near that ambush. Is he a enemy or do I have to do something before he'll talk to me?

So uh, I can't seem to relight the torch after it went out. Is it a one time use item? Do you need to get more? My equipment screen has a timer for it, but it's 00:00. Pressing Triangle at a Bonfire does nothing.

Zeliard

Is it confirmed that Adaptability affects attack speed and recovery?

Doesn't it?

Keep in mind that most classes don't have a shield at the start. Knight and bandit also don't. I haven't created all the classes but I think classes with shield are the minority.

Sure, but it's no shield in combination with other factors. Knight and Bandit may not have shields but they have much more Vigor, and in the Knight's case, higher ADP as well.

Maybesew

Yeah it is very strange. I think I'll pump up adaptability for a bit because I'm still getting rocked. Like you say, the dodging has quite a recovery to it, so even if I keep dodging perfectly, I can't go in for the hit. If I get in a hit, the animation takes a long time and I'm vulnerable to any other enemy or my target's quicker attacks.

I am going to go back to getting my ass kicked for a while haha

I JUST raised adaptability a bunch this morning. When it's lower than endurance you get a nice boost the poise as well.

I've noticed rolls seem quicker and use less stamina.

I love the swordsman stats and weapons. Clearly its an offensive powerhouse at the start of the game with sacrifices to defense.

Also, does anyone want the Black Armor pre-order weapons? PM me and I'll give the code

Well finally had a good hour with the game, IGN can go fuck themselves because the framerate on PS3 is atrocious.

Besides that, the game is incredible! Beautiful environments, incredible voice acting, and the slight changes to the combat have me giddy.

Died a few times exploring and attacking enemies I probably shouldn't have. This feeling of a new souls game is just incredible. So much left to discover. Feels good man.

Question about dual wielding tho, for the stance does it have to be the same weapon for both hands? Or can I go into it with the Swordsman's starting weapons?

Sane_Man

Annoyingly I move house tomorrow and won't have access to the internet for like 2 weeks. I don't get Dark Souls 2 until Friday so will either have to complete my first playthrough without the online features or wait until my internet is setup. I wish I was patient enough to wait but don't think it's likely...

Jeramii

Banned
I just wanted to ask if anyone knows... With the PSN pre-order will the bonus weapons be in the game by default? or is there a separate download for them?

I ask because I went to go download the game this morning, and there wasn't a separate set of items as a bonus DLC or anything like normal pre-order bonuses usually are.

(sorry if this has been answered, don't want to read through the thread and risk spoilers, and CTRL-F resulted in nothing)

edit:
thanks for the answer
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103975575&postcount=7932

Zeliard

Question about dual wielding tho, for the stance does it have to be the same weapon for both hands? Or can I go into it with the Swordsman's starting weapons?

It has to be the same class of weapons. The Swordsman starting weaps can't go into the power stance with each other because one is a curved sword and the other is a straight sword. If you find another curved sword or straight sword - or two daggers, two axes, etc - you can then equip both to go into the power stance by holding triangle.

You'll know you're in the stance because your character will raise both weapons a bit, and you get new moves on L1 and L2.

mxgt

Banned
The
trio of giant knights
in
Heides
are kicking my ass so hard as melee, and i'm out of arrows ;_;

God, feels so good to be challenged by a game again

Grudy

Is it possible to buy another soul arrow magic so I can have up to 60 charges per run? Is it recommended? I find myself running out of charges a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom