• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapejara

Guys, quick question - sorry if it's been asked before!

What's the level structure like in this game? I've heard Dark Souls ditched the hub world form Demon's Souls for one open world. Is the same true of Dark Souls 2, or is there some more linearity this time around?

So I am a swordsman and so far have put 2 points into vigar (or whatever the HP is called) and endurance. What are the best next steps... Is Adaptability big for swordsman?

NeoUltima

What the fuck. Am I missing something or did I encounter like the most insane glitch ever? My character somehow changed genders WTF.

Welp, at least the beard didn't carry over like my tattoo did lol. I'm so confused right now.

the one with all the fog doors?

Yes sir.

Tapejara said:
Guys, quick question - sorry if it's been asked before!

What's the level structure like in this game? I've heard Dark Souls ditched the hub world form Demon's Souls for one open world. Is the same true of Dark Souls 2, or is there some more linearity this time around?

It's even more open than Dark Souls 1 in my opinion. Tons of different branching paths.

NIN90

There a wiki site yet?

What the fuck. Am I missing something or did I encounter like the most insane glitch ever? My character somehow changed genders WTF.

Welp, at least the beard didn't carry over like my tattoo did lol. I'm so confused right now.
Get back in the coffin.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Nito sex change coffin services

tookhster

It seems like for every boss I follow this pattern:

-get my ass kicked enough times that my HP gets down to 50%
-Use Human Effigy
- Beat boss on first try after reverse hollowing.

I swear that's what's happened for like the past 5 bosses. It's hilarious.

When looking at items in shops, such as armour or weapons, why isn't there a way to compare to what you currently have equipped? Am I missing something?

Cetra

I didnt burned it. I really think its something with my connection. Does anyone now what ports FROM/PSN servers use?

Have you tried going into the options and making sure you set to global instead of restricted to local servers? I hear that helped a few people who were having problems summing/being summoned.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I finally booted Dark souls 2! Here are my quick impressions after playing 2 to 3 hours:

-My maximum health drops everytime i die? fuck you from what the fuck is wrong with you. The system in the first dark souls was perfect.

-Graphics are certainly not the best compared to other games but the art style certainly makes up for it in some areas, other areas like the first real "level" of the game feels bland as fuck i dunno i hope it picks up in the majesty department i need my anor londo moment.

-Combat feel a little bit slower somewhat thx to the healing items animation that take forever. It remains one the best combat systems i have played so thats great.

-Story? what story? Apparently i'm some random asshole who unleashed the ghosts from the end of raiders of the lost ark and jumped into a black hole only to be insulted by some dick grandmas and told to go on his way, umm..... ok.

-My favorite moment so far is me getting into a small rooftop and seeing a bird flew by....
who then delivered boss looking motherfucker who fucking killed me in 3 shots, from what the fuck?! Also i guess that was a one time thing because the asshole hasn't come back, i bet i encounter him later.

In conclusion this game awesome besides some minor issues and i'm really enjoying it so far but i had to take a break when i started dying too many times in a row so fuck this game.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Have you tried going into the options and making sure you set to global instead of restricted to local servers? I hear that helped a few people who were having problems summing/being summoned.

That was one of the first things i did when i booted up the game.

Chris R

I've found three little things that have a shitload of health and a giant big ass giant who kills me in three hits... Where the fuck are the guys I can actually fight from the start of the game ;_;

Jobbs

Banned
Okay, after a full 14 hour day of few breaks vegging out, here's Nova, my level 54 bandit.

nova1b.jpg

nova2.jpg

I dual wield a lot, and use a shield as well. I mostly use cloth (I have some mail pieces mixed in as long as I can still move well) because protection only matters if you're actually getting hit.

I've downed .. sheesh... I think like 7 bosses, all without help. that's not to say I'm amazing, so far I've found the bosses in this game to be easier than dark souls 1, however I've found the levels themselves to be harder. I've died a ludicrous amount of times in a few specific areas, and lost so many thousands of souls.

Typically how I approach a new boss is I put my sign down before I even attempt him at all, so I can hopefully get summoned, help someone else do him, and learn what I'm in for, and then do it on my own in my world. This has worked out well.

While initially I was a bit tentative about the game because it felt sorta "not quite right" for some reason, plus the first areas has a lot of questionable framerates, I'm feeling far more positive about the game now. The framerate is often very smooth and perfectly fine, and overall the game is highly playable.

I was also initially a little worried about the world design. It felt too linear -- Like, separate levels, linear, detached from eachother. Basically a glorified Demon's Souls. Now I'm saying that's not quite an accurate characterization, the truth lies somewhere in between, and the world is indeed delightfully connected in some ways and there is the opportunity for deep exploration where the rabbit hole just goes deeper and deeper until you come out the other side of the world. It's totally Dark Souls.

The clothing/hair/everything physics are gorgeous. Notice how everyone's cloth reacts to the wind in the same direction, or notice how if another player swings his sword near your clothes, your clothes get blown by the gust of their swing.

In short, Dark Souls 2 is awesome. I can't possibly compare it to something as special as the first game now, after one day, but it definitely stands tall on its own merits.

P.S. dual wielding is the ultimate rush, high risk, high reward. play this way all the time if you have sack.

Alucrid

Banned
Well...okay then. Apparently my character switches genders and races, because I definitely didn't make a woman and I know I had a beard. Anyone else have a problem like this?

Fhtagn

I'm 8 hours in and am still constantly encountering stuff that will kill me in 2-3 hits. However getting summoned and succeeding (even when not fighting a boss, getting the message "duty fulfilled") will replenish your flasks and heal you to your current max. So get summoned a lot if an area is kicking your ass; the area doesn't reset.

Question incoming:

Area: F
orest of
F
allen
G
iants
Bonfire: C
ardinal Tower

I've seen two areas or events that aren't happening anymore and not sure what's up. Next to this bonfire there's a guy who throws firebombs and you can climb up to the big platform he is on. Some big knight flew by and dropped in and murdered the shit out of me. Now he doesn't show up anymore. Also, if you go down from this area there is the ambush of the five guys with the wooden arbalasts. Straight forward is a guy who tells you you can go through this area but someone got murdered in here. Anyway, I went in, died, now the gate is closed.

I don't need to know how, I just want to know if those events are gone forever or if there will be a way to get both back again?

Thanks. Enjoying the openness of this, but fuck I feel lost and overwhelmed at times. Enjoying this world more than DS1.

tookhster

I've found three little things that have a shitload of health and a giant big ass giant who kills me in three hits... Where the fuck are the guys I can actually fight from the start of the game ;_;

Go back to the bonfire in the hub (Mujala) and look behind it. You should see a hill going down and that's where you need to go.

Astral

And here I thought the torch was useless. I just stumbled upon The Gutter. Holy shit was that terrifying. After 20 minutes of careful exploration I died. I didn't even find anything worthwhile :(

Well...okay then. Apparently my character switches genders and races, because I definitely didn't make a woman and I know I had a beard. Anyone else have a problem like this?

Did you get inside a coffin in the tutorial area? That changes your sex for some odd reason.

For the PS3 players, how are the servers going? Is it still impossible to get summoned? And if it still happens, does it still do the bug where if it fails to join a world, you can't put your sign back on the ground until you've quit to the main menu and rejoined your game?

Risible

I bought Dark Souls 2 on PS3 from Gamestop (yes, I know, that was my first mistake) and when I got home I noticed it didn't have the usual anti-theft plastic strips on the side nor did it have a manual of any kind. Could someone who got a for-sure unopened copy tell me if it should have a manual?

Crystal lizards are a pain to get in this game. A lot of times I'm just hitting air, game won't register the hit. I've only gotten a few in 40+ hours, I hate them :p
Do we know how often they spawn yet? Cause if its like demon's souls then I can live with it probably.

Kusagari

The beginning of this game feels far more unforgiving than Undead Parish to me. Life gems drop nowhere near as frequently as people acted like and you're stuck with one Estus Flask. You basically have only one chance to heal because you're forced to conserve life gems.

Not to mention the grunts here seem much harder than the slow guys from the Parish.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Question incoming:

Area: F
orest of
F
allen
G
iants
Bonfire: C
ardinal Tower

I've seen two areas or events that aren't happening anymore and not sure what's up. Next to this bonfire there's a guy who throws firebombs and you can climb up to the big platform he is on. Some big knight flew by and dropped in and murdered the shit out of me. Now he doesn't show up anymore. Also, if you go down from this area there is the ambush of the five guys with the wooden arbalasts. Straight forward is a guy who tells you you can go through this area but someone got murdered in here. Anyway, I went in, died, now the gate is closed.

I don't need to know how, I just want to know if those events are gone forever or if there will be a way to get both back again?

Thanks. Enjoying the openness of this, but fuck I feel lost and overwhelmed at times. Enjoying this world more than DS1.

To the first, meet him again. To the second, yes - explore your immediate surroundings.

For the PS3 players, how are the servers going? Is it still impossible to get summoned? And if it still happens, does it still do the bug where if it fails to join a world, you can't put your sign back on the ground until you've quit to the main menu and rejoined your game?

I'm getting summoned within 30 seconds of putting a sign down every time. Once I put a sign down and literally 3 seconds later I got summoned. I have Open NAT btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom