• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

Wow- 30 minutes in, just past character creation...

This game looks like ass.

Seriously. I am a veteran of the series and will put in 100 hours plus most likely, but man, the graphics and screen tearing are horrid. Worse than DS1.

360 version.

I think the visuals are a lot better than DS1. Though I'm on the PS3.

It was an
illusory wall behind the ghost face thing. I suppose they open it up anyways just in case the player doesn't hit the wall after activating the device.

Same. As a question on this, I'm not entirely sure what happened to open that.

I put the device in the wall, and saw the blue ghost face or whatever appear on the other wall in the room. Nothing else seemed to happen, and I thought that maybe I needed to light the sconce in the room. So I left, and I came back later with a lit torch and the blue ghost face was gone and there was open archway there with the two chests past it. Did you just have to leave and then come back/reload for that to appear or what? I'm not entirely sure what happened.

Hit with a weapon and it opens up.

Persona7

Banned
Fucking UPS dropped off two other packages I had this morning right before 11AM but not Dark Souls 2. Now it says they attempted delivery but nobody was home.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, this (2nd?) boss is such a nice easy way to grind early on.

As long as the host doesn't die and
people know that you're going to shoot the arrows, the boss dies in like 2 hits. Me and a guy earlier almost took him out legit though.

Essay

Glad I'm not the only one, thought I was going crazy and my connection was screwed up.

DAMNIT

Edit: How long have you been trying for?

I was playing 15 minutes ago and got a message that it was switching to offline mode (no interruption to gameplay besides the pop-up while I was talking to an NPC). Manually exited out, and haven't been able to log back on since, though I can play offline.

Also, went to Majula in offline mode and noticed the world-wide death tracker switches from showing a number in the hundreds of thousands, to 15, which must be my individual death tally on this play-through.

Zeliard

Would also like this answered please.

As Aeana said, you don't burn the effigy to turn human, you use it like an item. Burning it at a bonfire just weakens your link to other players, so your chance of being invaded is lessened (and possibly the ability to engage in co-op).

It's a mistake a number of people have made since you regained human form in Dark Souls by using humanity at a bonfire.

NIN90

Damn, this (2nd?) boss is such a nice easy way to grind early on.

As long as the host doesn't die and
people know that you're going to shoot the arrows, the boss dies in like 2 hits. Me and a guy earlier almost took him out legit though.

I got friendly fired to death on that one. :(

I was playing 15 minutes ago and got a message that it was switching to offline mode (no interruption to gameplay besides the pop-up while I was talking to an NPC). Manually exited out, and haven't been able to log back on since, though I can play offline.

Also, went to Majula in offline mode and noticed the world-wide death tracker switches from showing a number in the hundreds of thousands, to 15, which must be my individual death tally on this play-through.

Ugh, damnit. Too many casuals! :lol

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I got tipped off to the location/function of the ring of binding, so I went to try to get it. As soul level 15 sorcerer, I found it basically impossible to kill everything along the way and not run out of charges, but after a lot of running back and forth and cheesing the dudes, I managed to work it out. Sweet victory.

Can you spoil the location - I know it's fairly early but I totally forgot where it was.

elohel

confirmed: game doesn't look like ass(though the frame rate is low) and the game is awesome so far

Source: me

Can we just talk about how awesome the game is so far? lol also how am I dying so much in the beginning 300hrs for both souls games and I'm still getting crushed

I love it lol

2AdEPT

i cant summon anyone but i can be summoned.
If you mistakenly burn instead of "use" effigy you block invasions but also you rabiilty to summon I imagine....just a guess. I did it by accident and was summoned to help, but I didnt try summoning as i didnt require assistance. Dual wielding the hied and flame longsword now.

Not sure if this is on the wiki or not but guide says:
END and Adaptability raise poise if they are equal so raise the lower of the two to increase POise.

ADP does speed most actions including estus but not parry speed.

Tucah

you speak so well
Just beat the first boss and loving it so far. The various changes from the previous games took a little while to get used to but I'm starting to get into the DS2 groove now. My PS3 performance is about on par with most non-Blighttown areas of DS1, I'd say, and graphically it's definitely a bit of a step up. The changes to character movement/animation were kind of jarring at first but I'm fine with it now. The couple of locations I've seen have all been good (I was on a blackout and literally saw nothing outside of Manjula), I particularly liked
how the tree branches were incorporated one of the first areas, using them as ramps felt more natural than some of the wooden structures.

Taking a bit of a break before I dive further in later tonight but I'm more than satisfied so far, it feels so good to have a new Souls game to explore.

Just beat my first boss! If I didn't figure out to use the Human Effigy as an item, I would've never beaten it. Man, that was tough, but fun. Definitely had me sweating at the very end there.

2AdEPT

I'm seeing huge amounts of bloodstains, messages, and summon signs. Also my messages are being rated very frequently and I've only dropped like 3 so far. It's a lot more than I remember seeing during the NA releases for Demon's and Dark Souls 1.

I can't tell if this is because the game is that much more popular, or that they've widened the player pools. Either way, it's pretty cool. Haven't actually tried any co-op yet, though.

I dropped my sign just to test it out in the forest deal and even though I didnt kill much my 'deed was accomplised' (timed out) waaay before the boss. The host specifically messaged me to help on boss....i think she was getting lots of the same thing and assumed we were all leaving on her before the boss door on purpose! Poor soul. I should probably message her back and point that mechanic out.

Tucah

you speak so well
Just beat my first boss! If I didn't figure out to use the Human Effigy as an item, I would've never beaten it. Man, that was tough, but fun. Definitely had me sweating at the very end there.

The Human Effigy was key for the first boss for me too, he was killing me in one hit without it.

I started off as Sorcerer, but I've been putting points into Strength for the most part so I can use some more weapons (STR is up to 11 now I think). I feel like that was a mistake, but I really don't want to use daggers the entire time because of their shitty range. There's also a 100% damage reduction shield I want which requires 16 Strength, but I don't know if I should pump even more into it. I need more in Attunement, INT, Vigor, etc.

---

Also, should I buy that
Pharros thing off the merchant for 4000 souls?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
If you mistakenly burn instead of "use" effigy you block invasions but also you rabiilty to summon I imagine....just a guess. I did it by accident and was summoned to help, but I didnt try summoning as i didnt require assistance. Dual wielding the hied and flame longsword now.

Not sure if this is on the wiki or not but guide says:
END and Adaptability raise poise if they are equal so raise the lower of the two to increase POise.

ADP does speed most actions including estus but not parry speed.

I didnt burned it. I really think its something with my connection. Does anyone now what ports FROM/PSN servers use?

Alright, will do. I saw a contraption thing close by that required it, but wasn't sure what it did. Thanks. :)

You will find them in the world. . .so I wouldn't right now. Only until you run into a spot where you need one and haven't found one yet.

There is a Pharros Contraption in that area that opens a hidden treasure location. Only way to get it. However there is a stone in the area as well.

Ahh, I gotcha. Thanks!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I started off as Sorcerer, but I've been putting points into Strength for the most part so I can use some more weapons (STR is up to lvl11 now I think). I feel like that was a mistake, but I really don't want to use daggers the entire time because of their shitty range. There's also a 100% damage reduction shield I want which requires 16 Strength, but I don't know if I should pump even more into it. I need more in Attunement, INT, Vigor, etc.

---

Also, should I buy that
Pharros thing off the merchant for 4000 souls?

You will find them in the world. . .so I wouldn't right now. Only until you run into a spot where you need one and haven't found one yet.

There is a Pharros Contraption in that area that opens a hidden treasure location. Only way to get it. However there is a stone in the area as well.

As Aeana said, you don't burn the effigy to turn human, you use it like an item. Burning it at a bonfire just weakens your link to other players, so your chance of being invaded is lessened (and possibly the ability to engage in co-op).

It's a mistake a number of people have made since you regained human form in Dark Souls by using humanity at a bonfire.
Thanks, I appreciate the help. Also, does using the human effigy work to undo the health decrease in undead form once you return to undead form? I haven't died yet, and am going to try really hard not too so I won't be able to know until I end up dying.

Kieli

The first boss sounds like a cow ("moooo") and that face is ridiculous. I can't help but think that I could stick my dick in that gap.

Letep

Got past character creation, walked right into the shit
The Giant
, died, went into the tutorial fuckin' died some more.

It's good to be home.

Can you use torches more than once, or once time runs out you wasted it?

In that same regard, does lighting all the sconces in the first tutorial area do anything?

Quikies83

Need help here.
In Earthen Peak trying to take on Mytha. She is standing on poison and I know I'm supposed to drain it somehow. I've used a pharroh lockstone in the area and it did nothing but fill a pool with poison. Any help?

The Human Effigy was key for the first boss for me too, he was killing me in one hit without it.

Yup, exactly what happened with me. Used that and did a summon and the boss actually became manageable, lol.

Excited to dig into the next area more. Saw a tiny bit but for my ass handed to me so didn't go too far in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom