• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

I'm I in the complete wrong place? The last boss I beat was the
Pursuer
, and now I'm trying to beat the
Sentinels
, but I haven't even come close once. Is there some big trick I'm missing, or am I in the wrong place. I've tried with two different characters.
Yup, you can go another way. From Majula
head down some stairs and there is a ring you can pull that opens up access to another area. The same thing happened for me, it took me forever to realize there was somewhere else I could go.

Got to "ed edd and eddy"

I'm fucking done

See above.

Oh ok good, might be because the servers are better tonight. This morning, every time I'd put a sign down, my character would get summoned almost instantly (and in the most weird places lol), but it would fail the second after.

When/where do you get the summoning soapstone? Is there one?

You're able to get into the power stance when mixing weapons? I thought it only worked with weapons of the same class (e.g. two daggers, straight swords, curved swords, etc).

How do you access the power stance? I've tried holding Y (playing on 360) but that just makes me dual-hand my off-hand weapon. I also tried two of the same type of weapon and got the same result. Do they have to be exactly the same weapon? Or just the same class?

AJLma

Okay guys, right at the start of the game. I'm not having too much difficulty yet, even though I'm barely 2 hours into it.

Thinking about joining the coveneant that sets you on an "
Arduous Path
" Anyone think that I'll regret this?

Sullichin

Is there any good reason to wanna stay alive when you have the Ring of Binding? With that equipped, the loss of health isn't very significant.

You can't summon or invade people unless you're human. There's also a lot of good rings to choose from, even with four slots.

Jigorath

Banned
Just a heads up about chests.
If you hit them 3 times they break and you lose whatever item was inside. So be careful when checking for mimics.

dubq

I accidentally hit an NPC in Majula and now he is constantly hostile. Is there a way to undo this or do I need to re-roll?

Sullichin

Well, I'm having no luck doing co-op at SL90, guess I shouldn't be surprised. Not sure if I want to start a new character to experience the online or finish the game first though.

I went with the swordsman as my class, but I'm wondering how effective he'll be. So far he's great at tearing through multiple enemies, but his dual wield doesn't let him block/parry. I'm not entirely sure how to play him yet, other than to run in and hope I dish out enough damage before they land a hit.

Edit: And what's with the three little pigs in the town? Those bastards came out of nowhere and could take a beating.

Mana Sin

Weird. I think the game just bugged on me. I was white phantom-ing and when the host entered the boss arena I got sent home because the host "left the area".

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ibdLIMXW286e66.png

If you guys need a cover art for the Audio CD after you import it to your pc there you have a quick and dirty one.

No OST letters
ivHF3sMggDbKj.png

Zeliard

How do you access the power stance? I've tried holding Y (playing on 360) but that just makes me dual-hand my off-hand weapon. I also tried two of the same type of weapon and got the same result. Do they have to be exactly the same weapon? Or just the same class?

It should just be with the same class. I tried a regular dagger in one hand with Bandit's Knife in the other and was able to access the power stance.

And yeah it's done by holding triangle/Y. If the two weapons don't fit together for the power stance then that will cause you to two-hand the left weapon. If you get the stance, your character will hold the weapons up a bit higher and you can use L1 and L2 to get special attacks.

I went with the swordsman as my class, but I'm wondering how effective he'll be. So far he's great at tearing through multiple enemies, but his dual wield doesn't let him block/parry. I'm not entirely sure how to play him yet, other than to run in and hope I dish out enough damage before they land a hit.

You can parry if you two-hand one of the weapons. Tapping Y two-hands the right weap, holding Y two-hands the left weap (or goes into the power stance with applicable weapons).

Load times in this game are easilt twice as long as they were in the first. Weird.

I thought I was just imagining that. Every time I died, I just let out a big sigh. Not because I had to go back to where I was (that's fine), but because it meant an incredibly long loading screen, lol.

Nintyb

Banned
Game is so good. Started getting tired after four hours straight and dying constantly. Sleep and then back at it tomorrow.

Brohan

So i just one shotted a treasure chest and got rubbish (item), did i screw up a potentially good item or would the chest have contained rubbish Anyways? First time ive one shotted a chest with a simple longsword swing :/

Jigorath

Banned
So i just one shotted a treasure chest and got rubbish (item), did i screw up a potentially good item or would the chest have contained rubbish Anyways? First time ive one shotted a chest with a simple longsword swing :/

If you break a chest you lose the item inside.

Sullichin

That's weird, I give wooden chests a whack with the great club and they've never broken in one hit. They just shake like the other items that break.

Ourobolus

Banned
Is there a point to dual-wielding?
I managed to whoop the knight's ass slumped against the tree...what a pain.
Is this game like the last one in that there's not much point leveling Endurance over 40?

Ultrabum

Yup, you can go another way. From Majula
head down some stairs and there is a ring you can pull that opens up access to another area. The same thing happened for me, it took me forever to realize there was somewhere else I could go.

See above.

Could you be a bit more specific about te location of the stairs. Went back and didn't find any new places :(

Looks like they have a small chance to drop frim enemies. Also, getting summoned and defeatibg a boss will restore your humanity as well.
Thanks. Now I hope I get summoned.

Freakin love how the feeling of cluelessness I got from first 2 souls games is back on this lol.

TAKE THAT L LAST GIANT. almost killed him on my first try.

MilkBeard

I didn't follow much of the pre-release coverage but I remember people complaining that they made the game easier than the first Dark Souls.

It seems like the exact opposite to me. I'm getting killed by every enemy and the bonfires aren't in very forgiving places.

I'm not too far, but I feel like the game is pretty easy so far. I'm at the 4th bonfire and I haven't died. There were a few tricky ambushes waiting for me but enemies don't do much damage and I've only had to use a few healing gems. No need for estus yet. Honestly I hope it picks up in difficulty soon.

Early enemy/boss (?) spoilers:
I climbed up a ladder and suddenly a huge bird flew by and dropped a shiny-looking knight right in front of me, who proceeded to one-shot me after I dodged a few attacks out of fear. He didn't get an intro or a health bar so I assume he's not a boss, but holy shit did that come out of nowhere.

I love this game.

Quoting myself because I went to the same place this activated the first time and it didn't happen. Was this just a one-time battle? That sucks if I only had one try at it.

It should just be with the same class. I tried a regular dagger in one hand with Bandit's Knife in the other and was able to access the power stance.

And yeah it's done by holding triangle/Y. If the two weapons don't fit together for the power stance then that will cause you to two-hand the left weapon. If you get the stance, your character will hold the weapons up a bit higher and you can use L1 and L2 to get special attacks.

Hmmm, alright. I tried it with two straight swords but I guess that's not one of the allowed combinations. Will try with some other classes.

MilkBeard

Get back into the coffin.

Lol seems like this is a trick that From is playing on people...their character changes genders! ha ha. I've seen this comment a few times in this thread, from both men and women characters. I'm not sure what triggers it but I'm curious.

Don't tell me anyway, I want to find out on my own.

Alucrid

Banned

You can parry if you two-hand one of the weapons. Tapping Y two-hands the right weap, holding Y two-hands the left weap (or goes into the power stance with applicable weapons).

Power Stance is weird. Doesn't work with Scimitar and Falchion despite both being curved swords / slash.

MilkBeard

Is there a point to dual-wielding?
I managed to whoop the knight's ass slumped against the tree...what a pain.
Is this game like the last one in that there's not much point leveling Endurance over 40?

you...you fought him? Son,
you don't praise the sun.

Voror

Well, got it and have it loaded on my PS3. Not going to be able to start until Saturday unfortunately as I work either shifts at both jobs or an all day shift. Might not have time even then. But I may have some time to look into classes and such and determine what I definitely want to try out for the first run.

Got my Collector's Guide too. And per the usual now, it was damaged slightly on both sides of the cover (not the spine). Seriously Amazon, what is it with you and books lately? Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I'd unwrapped it. The crumpling on the front side doesn't bother me that much, but the back is a bit more noticeable. Still, the book is otherwise fine and very nice.

So from what I gather, the starting class you pick doesn't really have that much of an impact other than your starting stats? Would Deprived be the one to give the most long term gains then at what I imagine is at greater risk in the early game?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What is the consensus on the easiest starting class (the pyromancer of DS2)? I'm getting the game tomorrow and want to start with something easy, but the knight looks cool.

I find it equally as hard tbh. Most of the deaths like Dark Souls 1 comes while getting used to the new movement, the enemy patterns etc. I have currently like 6-7 bonfires and 20 something deaths (gotta check that later)

Aeana

I'm not too far, but I feel like the game is pretty easy so far. I'm at the 4th bonfire and I haven't died. There were a few tricky ambushes waiting for me but enemies don't do much damage and I've only had to use a few healing gems. No need for estus yet. Honestly I hope it picks up in difficulty soon.
Playing as a sorcerer, I've died quite a lot. Enemies do sooo much damage and 30 soul arrow charges isn't enough to get you between bonfires so I've had to melee the weak dudes with my dagger and that sometimes ends badly.

tookhster

Ugh, can't believe I got killed by
dragonrider.
Whiffed a roll and got pushed into the water.

Do you know about the
levers that raise the platforms for that fight? If you kill all the big knights in the circular room another switch rises up, so the Dragonrider fight is easier since he can't really knock you out.

MilkBeard

What is the consensus on the easiest starting class (the pyromancer of DS2)? I'm getting the game tomorrow and want to start with something easy, but the knight looks cool.

I'm having a pretty easy time with Explorer. The high adaptability means that your movement isn't as restricted as other classes. You don't start with a shield though, and you have a knife. Right know I just have two knifes and I've been trading off attacking with each one. If you pay attention to the way enemies telegraph their moves you should be able to roll away in time. The early game has been pretty easy for me so far as Explorer.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Forest of Fallen Giants treasure question:

At the trapped house near pate, is there a hidden area? I saw there was a message about a false wall but not seeing it (pun intended).

MilkBeard

Playing as a sorcerer, I've died quite a lot. Enemies do sooo much damage and 30 soul arrow charges isn't enough to get you between bonfires so I've had to melee the weak dudes with my dagger and that sometimes ends badly.

Wow seems like the starting class makes a difference. I'm an Explorer and I've been able to easily dodge enemies and kill them fairly quickly. They don't do much damage to my character. I guess that's the tradeoff for being a sorcerer. Explorer starts with a knife but I bet his attack is quite a bit higher than sorcerer.

Dresden

Do you know about the
levers that raise the platforms for that fight? If you kill all the big knights in the circular room another switch rises up, so the Dragonrider fight is easier since he can't really knock you out.

I didn't know about that (just dashed past all those dudes). Thanks for the tip.

Boss Spoiler - Is the 3rd boss I've fought so far.
Ruin Sentinels finally down! I think switching to a great shield helped a lot during this fight, hardest boss fight I've encountered so far. I really like the music for that fight as well, it was fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom