• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Hopefully I haven't wasted a ton of souls dying in the first area yet... I've probably run through part of it 5 times or so and lost all my souls.

Oh well, hopefully this stuff is just chump change.

Deadstar

Does the frame rate get any better as the game goes on? I'm fighting three large enemies and up until this point it's been pretty terrible on ps3.

Hahaha anyone else
turn themselves into a woman and not notice for like 20 min? I thought i was running kinda feminine (how in DS1 female characters keep there arms closer in while running) but i really only noticed for sure was when my beard was gone haha

Yeah, that's triggered by
going in the coffin on the beach.

Confused the hell outta me the first time.

So effigies are the only way to restore humanity?

p.s. i really love the new HUD options.

you can go in other peoples worlds to regain humanity, but its really random. I've turned human from not beating the boss and I've beaten a boss and still not gone human.

and yea no more estus flask burn in!

Ferrio

Banned
So how do you learn what convenants do? Also currently lost.... need to figure out where to go next.

edit: Any purpose of lighting stuff with torches?

Dresden

you can go in other peoples worlds to regain humanity, but its really random. I've turned human from not beating the boss and I've beaten a boss and still not gone human.

and yea no more estus flask burn in!

Yeah, I guess it's random as hell. Just helped someone else beat a boss again and I'm still undead. :(

Astral

It's crazy that people initially thought the game was more linear than Dark Souls. This shit is ridiculously open, almost aimless (not in a bad way). There's 4 different places I can go to right now and it's a little overwhelming.

-Ryn

Banned
Finally starting to see enemies disappearing.
I'm starting to get the hang of fighting without a shield which is feeling more and more awesome. I kept almost losing around 6000 souls near the area
with the dude who looks like Solaire
. I forgot how intense it feels to almost lose your souls. The fact that enemies eventually disappear makes it all the more gut wrenching if you lose them.

I haven't really had any problems with loading times luckily. Even when I die it only takes about 15 seconds tops to load. I'm playing on the 360 version though. Wondering if that has anything to do with it?

anddo0

I've been going at it since 1PM.

I've killed two bosses, and leveled up to 43. I'm not sure how many times I've died. I'm guessing close to 30. I made things harder on myself by neglecting VGR. I'm still getting used to the new stats.

Are the re-spec rumors true?
I'm an explorer, and blew some points on ATN (3 levels worth). I don't feel like leveling magic until NG+.

Wow fuck this game. I was at figthing the boss above the last giant, the warrior looking one. My teammate used the projectile canon something, it killed me. It sucks and then To add salt to the wound that same projectile that hit me was the one that also killed that boss. Fuck this lol.

If this difficulty trend continues, then this probably really is more difficult than DkS1.

ScribbleD

Is the parry window smaller with a weapon (like the Knight's starting sword)? I had a really hard time getting the timing down vs the Heide knight in the forest. Or maybe I'm just rusty/sucking.

MilkBeard

I joined the blue covenant earlier. I haven't been invaded yet, so I was wondering, but I don't think this covenant stops invasions entirely, it just gives you a helper to defend against. I'm really curious to see it happen but I guess the game is new so there aren't that many invaders yet. Give this game a few months or whatever, and there will be so many invaders and gankers.

TheMink

Yeah, that's triggered by
going in the coffin on the beach.

Confused the hell outta me the first time.

Haha yup

I was texting a friend at the time as he was ahead of me and i ask
whats the coffin do? After i already went in then out, he said "we don't know bro" i noticed that i had like a flower wreath but i looked at the armor itself and it showed the wreath on the item pic so i figured it was there the whole time i just never noticed.
But then i started noticing stuff like how i screamed like a psychopath when i died i didn't remember from the beginning of the game either.

But I just went back and got my glorious beard back :p
Btw the wreath was gone again as a man.

Anyway i thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Jagxyz

Anyone find any decent faith weapons yet? Still using that starting mace.

Yeah I found it. However I can't use it...can you only use the soapstones in human form now as well?

Try exiting the game and starting it up again (don't have to go to XMB, menu quit works).

Got past
The Pursuer
in the Forest of Fallen Giants, this game is sogood.gif.

I still need my katana though, it makes me sad to not have it. At least Scimitar is actually legit in this game unlike DS1.

So far the 360 version is running great. Everyone was saying the screen tearing was horrible, but I'm not even noticing it while playing. Still some frame dips, but they're not so bad as to ruin the game

Garcia

I went with the Swordsman class. Love me 2 blades and no shield.

I'm not feeling the difficulty at all. I've only died 3 times and I'm 4 hours into the game. This, however, might be related to me being accustomed by now to the formula.

The mob animations strongly resemble those of the the original game, which makes things much easier to handle.

Gorillaz

A case can be made for some places looking rather 2.0ish
like heidi area basically having that Anor Londo look
but with it being a direct sequel to DS1 it kind of works in their favor because it comes off as a "aftermath" of it all.

I'm not feeling the difficulty at all. I've only died 3 times and I'm 4 hours into the game. This, however, might be related to me being accustomed by now to the formula.

The mob animations strongly resemble those of the the original game, which makes things much easier to handle.

No shield is the path of true gentlemen and lady swordfighters. Been rolling that way since Demon's Souls.

Zeliard

Man... i'm at SL 80 and still only have 1/4 of the game done. PvP meta will be at least 200 i think.

OroboroTheNinja in the earlier linked video predicted it would be at least 150 since Adaptability is so useful, and most people in the PvP scene are gonna be getting that stat alone to 38.

Morris

Disco Devil
Just realized my character randomly changed sex and now I'm heavily regretting starting my game with an ugly but beardy male character...

EDIT: Oh nvm that's actually from getting on the coffin where the 2 cyclops are? Well that's pretty damn cool.

MilkBeard

Yeah I'm explorer and I'm not really feeling the difficulty yet either. I'm still early though, so maybe it will ramp up. I felt the same way about Demon's Souls, as I started that after playing Dark Souls for 140 or so hours. The game was a breeze at first, and I killed most of the first level bosses on my first try, but shortly after that the game picked up in difficulty.

Jobbs

Banned
was easier to make a good female face than in dark souls 1 (though it was also possible in 1).

nv3.jpg

Yeah sorta I guess.

... Actually, sorta is somewhat apt. It's absolutely there, and is a major thing, but it's by laying down signs for random people to summon you. You can try to game it and play with friends to an extent at least in the prior two games, but it's meant to encourage strangers working together, not hooking up with a bud and rocking through the game. And you won't be able to summon in areas you beat the boss of for the most part if it's like the last two games (nor will you be invaded in those areas.)

Alright, good to know. Thank you.

I still wish this is out for the new cknsoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom