• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^ You forget how slow it is when you know nothing and your character sucks. Been a long night . . .

Still wondering where I can get a better sword. If I'm supposed to have a broadsword, I missed it (started as a knight). In the first real area.

Sakura

^^^^^ You forget how slow it is when you know nothing and your character sucks. Been a long night . . .

Still wondering where I can get a better sword. If I'm supposed to have a broadsword, I missed it (started as a knight). In the first real area.

What do you mean by the first real area?

Fbh

No. If you're going solo:

Go to Heide Fire Ruins. Beat that area. Then perhaps try Pursuer again if you've got enough endurance or your magic skills are high. If not, try for No'Man's Wharf which is under Heide, or Hunstman's Cospe which unlocks after Heide.

Oh thx for the info.

It was weird that they would put such a strong boss like 30 seconds after the rather easy first boss

Agreed. It's supposed to be learn by dying not be afraid to die.

Do you at least turn human from beating bosses like the other games (and get your HP debuff removed)?

The only boss I've defeat I did in human form so I can't say.
But yeah, I'm just not enjoying this new mechanic.

In DK1 if I saw, for example, a Dark Knight Early on I would still try to kill him, even if he kicked my ass and it took me 5 tries.
But here I'm just not feeling it. When I find a strong enemy I don't feel like trying to kill him because I know it might take a few tries and my HP will got like 60%.

Yes you can revive but the item to do so is rather rare.

Good news is that:
from what I've read there is a ring you can get somewhat early that only lets HP go down to 75% instead of 50%

Done for the night. Was having a fairly good playthrough then I got to the
section with the pirate ship
. Man that place kicked my ass, lol. So far I'm liking this more than Dark Souls. Can't wait to get to the beta area.

void666

Banned
I spent 3 hours dying in the same area over and over again. I should've explored some other place but no, i had to clear this area first.
Tried summoning players to help me with the boss, but it failed everytime.
So i summoned and npc. The dumbest thing ever. He got stuck attacking stupid mobs all the way to the boss. And what's worse he was having his ass kicked hard. In the end he threw himself on the water and died. He must've had some serious issues. Poor soul.

Bowler

Some tips for the youngsters

1. Buy another controller.

2. Dispose of broken controller responsibly

3. When throwing controller, make sure kids and wife are not in line of flight.

4. When rage quitting, make sure you rage quit responsibly by allowing ps3/360 to shut down via prompts.

5. Do not let pets eat broken controller parts. They are sharp.

6. If #3 happens, explain to police that controller slipped out of hand because of sweat.

7. When stomping floor with feet, please be courteous to neighbors on lower floors, if you own your house, remember flooring has feelings too.

8. If you smoke pot, you may think it helps with this game, by going slower. It does not help, and hide the bag before police arrive from said #3.

9. Yelling and hitting yourself, is the best way to get thru the game.try not to yell sexist or racial slurs.

And number 10. Remember From software fucking hates you, they hate your pets, kids, significant others. They have conspired with Sony and MS, to get you to buy more controllers, and they are apart of the police benevolent association. The trick to this game I now believe, is to return it and buy the pc version. PC mouses are cheap.

Zeroxysm

Maybe the European version has one?

Weird that you don't have the codes though. Maybe they were on the receipt or something?

Yeah, that's what I thought so I checked the receipt, didn't see anything.

I'm going to go to Gamestop tomorrow and see what I can do, it'll probably be a pain.

Sakura

Heide's Tower of Flame

Also, looking to add some people playing on 360. ID is Wheel Hoss 1

Did you already go to the
Forest of Fallen Giants? If not I suggest you go there first. You should be able to find a better weapon than a dagger, and you'll also be able to get the blacksmith.

So I beat the boss of the Forest of the Fallen Giants...now I dunno where the fuck to go. I made it to the boss of Heidi's Tower of Flame just running past a few tough encounters...and yeah that aint happening.

There must be an easier way to go. I unlocked the Mansion in the main town and got some key looking thing so I thought it'd work on that big thing down the stone steps from the main town--no dice. I honestly have no clue where to go now.

Also, wtf is the blacksmith key there...early on or what?

Robot Pants

So I just got my 2nd Soul Vessel.
Guess this thing isn't a one time use. I took it back to the spot you have to use it at, and got as far as I could without actually resetting anything. Doesn't seem too game breaking.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just tried out the PS3 version and yeah, feels way more framey than the 360 one. I'm glad I didn't purchase the game through PSN or I'd be stuck with it.

Robot Pants

What causes the Duty Fulfilled to happen? I keep getting summoned, kill 3 things.. then it sends me back.

Timer on your soap stone is probably running out. Are you using the small one? It only last for a boss fight, or a couple of enemies depending on size.

What causes the Duty Fulfilled to happen? I keep getting summoned, kill 3 things.. then it sends me back.

Sounds like a Covenant thing. Your Covenant probably has a specific task to do, and you completed it.

Or maybe it's Soapstone timer, like posted above. I haven't joined any, waiting to find the Sunbro covenant.

For me it's the opposite. I don't remember ever dying this much in the beginning of both demons and darks.

It could just be that I haven't gotten that far. So far for me it's been Demons>DS1>DS2 on difficulty. From what I've seen, it seems like they like to team up on you more in this one

jns

hey guys, picking the game up at midnight tonight and I've been on a total blackout (so I haven't read the thread sorry!) Anyway, I have a question about the Stats: Is there any useless stat like the Resistance Stat in Dark Souls? I don't play on my first char being min-max'ed in any way, but I'd like to know if From made all the stats relevant this time around.

Cheers :D

Quoting myself for a new page. Dunno if the threads moving too fast, or if it's too early for this kind of information to be common knowledge ..

danke

Manus

Rocking 4 estus flasks with only 2 bosses down. Feeling great. So far loving this game way more than Dark Souls. Not as much as Demon's yet.

Is there an actual purpose to the sconces or are they an ancient relic of a lighting engine that was removed?

I'm lighting them regardless.

JoeFenix

Does anyone know how to get Awestones? They're tied to the
Company of Champions
covenant.

I thought that defeating bosses would drop one but apparently not, if anyone has the guide and could check for me that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

enoki

Yeah, that's what I thought so I checked the receipt, didn't see anything.

I'm going to go to Gamestop tomorrow and see what I can do, it'll probably be a pain.

When a code is printed on the receipt, GameStop can reprint pre-order codes (for SOME games).

Since the Black Armor code came in the case, though, I don't think they'll be able to do much more than give you someone else's code. I'd try contacting Namco or FROM about it instead.

Jobbs

Banned
level 72... played an amount of hours I'm embarrassed with admit with barely stopping. the game just keeps going and going. any direction you pick shit just keeps going. dark souls.

now I have to crash in a minute (I'm strangely untired) maybe get some work done and chip away at the game some more.

after all this I get the feeling there's a lot left to do,

only one little thing bothering me a bit at this point is.. purpose. I am going in every direction, going from one landscape to the next, finding all kinds of characters and monsters, killing them, killing bosses, getting their souls, boss after boss after boss, and I never have any sense of who the bosses are or why I'm doing it. the lady at firelink never really tells me anything new. she just wants me to go get big souls. it feels a bit directionless, which I suppose is part of the game's charm. at the same time, I'd like a greater feeling of context. I've killed like 8 bosses and I have no idea who they are or what I'm accomplishing.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn this game is so good. I've seriously played like 10 hours today. I can't remember the last time I played a game so much in one day. It's been years. I didn't even get this into DS1.

I just need to figure out where I want to go with my dual-wielding. Like, what weapons do I want to use. Because I don't want to level up crappy stuff just because I didn't know it was crappy stuff.

So aside from where to go next (someone help plz--boss in the Giants area down so far) wtf are the pre-order bonuses for digital purchasers (on PSN)?

ironcreed

Banned
Shit,
Old Dragon Slayer (Ornstein's evil twin brother)
is eating my lunch. Just 1-2 shots and I'm done. I'll pick up there tomorrow. Game is godly.

Zeroxysm

When a code is printed on the receipt, GameStop can reprint pre-order codes (for SOME games).

Since the Black Armor code came in the case, though, I don't think they'll be able to do much more than give you someone else's code. I'd try contacting Namco or FROM about it instead.

I already emailed Namco, thanks.

Damn this game is so good. I've seriously played like 10 hours today. I can't remember the last time I played a game so much in one day. It's been years. I didn't even get this into DS1.

I just need to figure out where I want to go with my dual-wielding. Like, what weapons do I want to use. Because I don't want to level up crappy stuff just because I didn't know it was crappy stuff.

Two katana, man.

jubeitest2.png

Dresden

Four bosses down, five estus flasks, and managed to upgrade it as well by burning some bone dust at the Far Fire. I don't remember where I got the last.

Game really picked up for me by the time I got to No Man's Wharf. I still have my concerns, but for now, it's fun.

Hmm. OverallI feel DSII has a stronger intro and opening level, if we're comparing the Undead Asylum/Firelink Shrine/Undead Burg to Places Betwixt/Majula/Forest of Fallen Giants. Giving From major props that they managed to make level design even better in a game where you can teleport right off the bat. I still feel great when I find a new shortcut. Of all the reservations I had going into the game, teleportation is something that no longer bothers me.

Negatives? The biggest one is definitely enemy extinction. Not because it makes the game easier - if I keep beating the same enemies over and over again clearly they're not the one's challenging me. It's the fact that souls are now a largely finite resource, which is making me really edgy when it comes to spending them. I loved being able to tell new players in Demon's and Dark that "souls don't matter, if you lose some don't let it stress you out, just keep throwing yourself at a problem until you solve it". Can't say that any more. You lose those souls, there's no guarantee that you'll ever earn them back without counting on getting summoned or doing PVP. On top of that you have the HP reduction system back in place from Demon's, albeit in a much more forgiving form, and the game is basically telling you that you better damn well know what you're doing before you use a Human Effigy (which are probably also finite).

Better or worse? Well my negative paragraph is longer than the positive one, but don't let that reflect my stance on the game. That's a decision I'll just have to make when I'm finished.

Agree with your negatives. Its very easy to reach that extinction threshold, especially when grinding against a boss. It's actually very annoying and doesn't make the game easier, it makes it way more frustrating. I remember in DkS1 that eventually, even death after death, I would accrue a large amount of souls, not through purposeful farming, but just trying over and over to get through a level. It was fun, it felt like progress because I could level 2 or 3 times at the end of it. Can't really do that in this game.

The death mechanic is really bugging me. I disliked DeS for the same reason. DkS1 felt great because death sucked, but it taught you something. I was never really afraid to die in DkS1, because the worst thing that could happen is I lose my souls and because of the non-extinction, I could just farm back up if need be. Instead, in DkS2 I hate dying. Its not fun dying. Sure, I learn like I did in DkS1 but its insanely frustrating to be learning a boss, thinking you have it down, use an effigy, die, and be screwed again - because before you know it you're at half health starting out.

On top of the death mechanic, the change in dodging (it seems like they trimmed nearly, if not all, of the invincibility frames) and the proliferation of tracking attacks makes the game seem unfair, which isn't something I would have attributed DkS1, especially after I learned how to play it.

Fuck me! General chest question
if the treasure chests get destroyed, do you lose whatever was inside of it and only get rubbish. I had enemies murder the shit out of two chests and that happened both times.

Dresden

The death mechanic is really bugging me. I disliked DeS for the same reason. DkS1 felt great because death sucked, but it taught you something. I was never really afraid to die in DkS1, because the worst thing that could happen is I lose my souls and because of the non-extinction, I could just farm back up if need be. Instead, in DkS2 I hate dying. Its not fun dying. Sure, I learn like I did in DkS1 but its insanely frustrating to be learning a boss, thinking you have it down, use an effigy, die, and be screwed again - because before you know it you're at half health starting out.

I don't think extinction is much of a concern unless you're playing offline. Not that they needed to change it at all, but in the wake of this change, getting souls is still easy enough via co-op that it's never something that should bottleneck the player.

Offline though, it's really iffy. I don't like that a certain facet of the game is designed specifically to encourage online play, as if everyone has access to it (and with 360 players, they're gated even further via XBL Gold).

As for the hp penalties, being undead was more of a benefit than a curse in DkS1, and as a result seeing it incur some penalties - very gradually at that, and with an item in-game to alleviate its effects - doesn't really bother me. To each his own, of course.

ironcreed

Banned
Done for the night. Was having a fairly good playthrough then I got to the
section with the pirate ship
. Man that place kicked my ass, lol. So far I'm liking this more than Dark Souls. Can't wait to get to the beta area.

I like it more as well so far.

- It looks better
- Runs better
- Plays better
- It has more and better looking gear
- Seems even bigger
- I love the look and overall vibe of Drangelic more than Lordran.

It's hard to improve upon a masterpiece, but I feel they have refined the formula without compromising what makes it so great and then added even more to that. Fantastic and utterly addictive game.

Tirod

I'm highly considering joining [Covenant Spoilers]
the Champions Covenant or whatever it is called. I'm been steamrolling bosses so far with my Dex/Adp build.

Really hoping for something to put me in my place soon, I've breezed through
boss fights no problem. /:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
*in front of a fog gate*

*have a lot of souls*

"Eh, I'm gonna risk it and assume it's not a boss. And even if it is a boss I think I can take it first try."

*there is indeed a boss behind the fog gate and it decimates me in under 30 seconds*

Never again. Souls aren't THAT big of a deal, especially since you get so many from the bosses themselves, but that was a decent 2 levels I could have gotten -_-

Soriku

I'm highly considering joining [Covenant Spoilers]
the Champions Covenant or whatever it is called. I'm been steamrolling bosses so far with my Dex/Adp build.

Really hoping for something to put me in my place soon, I've breezed through
boss fights no problem. /:

The Covenant (and Bonfire Ascetics) seem intended to give players a bigger challenge, so I see no harm in joining it.

Jobbs

Banned
I've been wearing the PVP goodguy ring for probably 10 hours of play time and never been summoned. also never been invaded. wonder what's keeping people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom