• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

At times this game looks like a ps2 game. Really From, how can you be this bad at graphics 7 years into the generation?

But the game itself feels like good old dark souls.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Question re: Cathedral of Blue:

After the boss, NPC there is like "Fuck you guy, go away." Doesn't have much dialogue. I imagine he's faction related? Do I need to abandon a faction to get him to talk to me maybe? Or come back with an item?

You need:

To get a coop token.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well? Day 1-2 consensus? Better or worse?

anddo0

Help with missing merchant
Melentia. I didn't kill her, so where is? She is no longer at her spot next to the bonfire
]

Fbh

Ok so I really need to ask:

I just beat the first boss and:
Is The Pursuer really the second boss? Because he is destroying me, he has probably killed me 7 times already and the best I've managed to do is get him to half health. One hit from him takes like half my life (or even a bit more)..... I never had this much problems with any boss in DS1.

Anyway, after 5 hours or so here are my impressions:

Good:
- While not as good as the trailer the graphics still got a bit of an upgrade compared to DS1
- Overall feeling of the game is right. It looks and feels like Dark Souls

Cons:
- Personally I hate the new "loose HP when you die" mechanic. It's not making the game more fun by making it "harder".. it's just making it more annoying.
- I don't know if it's my console but I'm getting some notorious input lag and the overall combat, while still awesome, just feels a bit "laggy" compared to DS1. Even when using fast weapons it feels like it takes forever to get out of the animation. There is just a notorious moment of standing there doing nothing between the attack animation and the "rolling" animation.

Fucking
Forrest of Fallen Giants
is seriously kicking my ass. This is essentially the Undead Burg of the game but I never had that much trouble in the beginning of Darks Souls than I am right now.

It's all that and more. Easily twice the size of the Burg, more like the Burg, Parish, and Lower Burg rolled into one. Definitely a trial by fire. The boss was a relief compared to some of the enemies in that place, like the area with
5 or 6 turtle knight guys

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Is The Pursuer really the second boss? Because he is destroying me, he has probably killed me 7 times already and the best I've managed to do is get him to half health. One hit from him takes like half my life (or even a bit more)..... I never had this much problems with any boss in DS1.

No. If you're going solo:

Go to Heide Fire Ruins. Beat that area. Then perhaps try Pursuer again if you've got enough endurance or your magic skills are high. If not, try for No'Man's Wharf which is under Heide, or Hunstman's Cospe which unlocks after Heide.

george_us

Worse in my opinion but still great with my main problems being that the level design so far isn't as good as Dark Souls 1, the art direction isn't as strong, and the game doesn't have the atmosphere the previous two games had. Granted I'm only 5 hours in and at
The Lost Bastille
but those are my impressions so far. Again though, this game smokes 99% of the games released this generation. It's just that Dark Souls 1 is a very tough act to follow.

Rolled a Swordsman for whatever reason and played for about an hour. Think I'm going to reroll as a Knight next time I boot it up. The Swordsman's dual-wielding wasn't really appealing to me (I like to go either two handed or with a shield) and a few of his stats like Vigor and Adaptability aren't up to par. Just not my thing. I am thinking a bit about Explorer, but I don't know how it will turn out. I'm digging the Adaptability and overall all-roundedness. Though I'm thinking it would probably take some work to get his strength and dex to be acceptable.

I'm playing on PS3 and the framerate is total ass, but I can deal with it. The feel of the game is great, even if it's slightly different than DS1. Other than the framerate really, game is fantastic so far.

soldat7

i have a big problem with this game right now.

my main menu screen and every other game is running 1080p on the ps3.

as soon as i boot up Dark Shouls 2, my screen res instantly drops and idk what to do!

THIS FREAKING SUCKS!

Anyone else experiencing this on the PS3 version?

The game looks horrible like this

For my setup, this is completely normal for non-native 1080p games. My TV switches to 720p for the Souls games.

- Personally I hate the new "loose HP when you die" mechanic. It's not making the game more fun by making it "harder".. it's just making it more annoying.

Agreed. It's supposed to be learn by dying not be afraid to die.

Do you at least turn human from beating bosses like the other games (and get your HP debuff removed)?

Kacar

Loving the game. I killed the boss in the flame tower. The next one is the one in the ship right. I've only faced him once and he did some triple spin combo that made me look like an infant with a sword and shield.

Also killed the guy in the forest for his shiny blue sword because I got frustrated. Oh well.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH the 100000 of the
long armed enmies that hate light in that house in the Wharf
can go eat a dick

OK I just killed 5 of these fuckers OH MY GOD THERE ARE 2 MORE OF THEM AND THEY SANDWICH YOU ON THE STAIRCASE

YOU DIED

Zeroxysm

You should of course have the steelbook case, along with the game and the soundtrack. If you don't have that, then you should take it back to the store.

There's no manual for the game? An unboxing I was watching showed an actual manual and I also didn't get the download codes for the Black Armor stuff.

jns

hey guys, picking the game up at midnight tonight and I've been on a total blackout (so I haven't read the thread sorry!) Anyway, I have a question about the Stats: Is there any useless stat like the Resistance Stat in Dark Souls? I don't play on my first char being min-max'ed in any way, but I'd like to know if From made all the stats relevant this time around.

Cheers :D

nope. if i recall from the pre-release streams correctly, you can do at least these before Pursuer:

DRAGONRIDER
OLD DRAGONLAYER
FLEXIBLE SENTRY
RUIN SENTINELS
LOST SINNER

FiraB

Banned
Caved, double dipped and used the money I made selling my gold on d3 to buy it. Waiting for it to download now, soon the pain and satisfaction shall begin.

what is the story with some enemies disappearing over time? i may suck at the game, but i feel like with persistence i could overcome that just like i did the first two times! i dont feel stuck yet and i dont like it if the game is taking it easy on me.

I didn't see this answered.

Also, I'm playing as a Knight and am stuck with this shitty dagger. Where is the first place I can quickly get a better weapon? The big knights in the first real area are taking forever to die, and killing 3 at once seems beyond me right now . . .

isual

Question about the Cardinal Tower
my fiancee has a hole in the wall shortcut in her game. I however do not. Any clue what I overlooked or failed to do? She doesn't know how it got there.

you're supposed to blow it up on the other side. there are barrels that will expode and it will open to lead to the first bonfire (shortcut)

Sakura

Do you at least turn human from beating bosses like the other games (and get your HP debuff removed)?

Eh, you don't really get that much of a health reduction each time you die. And you can unhollow to get back to full health. There are also items that reduce the amount of reduction. I don't think it's a big deal.

There's no manual for the game? An unboxing I was watching showed an actual manual and I also didn't get the download codes for the Black Armor stuff.

There is no manual. Most games these days don't have one. Do you have the black armour edition or the CE? The black armour edition just comes with the metal case, soundtrack, game, and a piece of paper with DLC code (for me at least). The CE has an art book, maybe you mistook that for the manual?

lol, anybody been to the Belfry yet? I should hold off until I have a good build. Still using default equipment.

Also, it's really cool how you can regain your humanity by being summoned into other
people's games.

I'm 3 bosses in. Was able to beat the 3rd boss one try in by doing phantom recon and checking it out a few times. (getting souls, too)

I had no idea what it was, but after the 3rd boss, I saw like 5 blood puddles, and watched all of them. They walked in the door and as soon as they walked through, they just died. Took me a bout 5 minutes to work up the courage to walk in. Explosion! Didn't see what it was, but I backed up and didn't take damage. So, thanks to my fallen brethren. Your sacrifice was not in vain.

Sakura

I didn't see this answered.

Also, I'm playing as a Knight and am stuck with this shitty dagger. Where is the first place I can quickly get a better weapon? The big knights in the first real area are taking forever to die, and killing 3 at once seems beyond me right now . . .

Doesn't the knight start with a broadsword? If you don't have one you could always buy one from the blacksmith.

Zeroxysm

Eh, you don't really get that much of a health reduction each time you die. And you can unhollow to get back to full health. There are also items that reduce the amount of reduction. I don't think it's a big deal.

There is no manual. Most games these days don't have one. Do you have the black armour edition or the CE? The black armour edition just comes with the metal case, soundtrack, game, and a piece of paper with DLC code (for me at least). The CE has an art book, maybe you mistook that for the manual?

I have the CE and I definitely don't have the Black Armor edition codes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3rq6BMj5Ss&feature=player_detailpage#t=31

at that time in the video, you can see he has a game manual?

Aeana

No, but there is a ring you can get that makes the max HP penalty 25% instead of 50%.
That said, human effigies are pretty common in the game.

Astral

With the Ring of Binding equipped, dying isn't much of a big deal really. I'm having trouble convincing myself to stay human.

Hmm. OverallI feel DSII has a stronger intro and opening level, if we're comparing the Undead Asylum/Firelink Shrine/Undead Burg to Places Betwixt/Majula/Forest of Fallen Giants. Giving From major props that they managed to make level design even better in a game where you can teleport right off the bat. I still feel great when I find a new shortcut. Of all the reservations I had going into the game, teleportation is something that no longer bothers me.

Negatives? The biggest one is definitely enemy extinction. Not because it makes the game easier - if I keep beating the same enemies over and over again clearly they're not the one's challenging me. It's the fact that souls are now a largely finite resource, which is making me really edgy when it comes to spending them. I loved being able to tell new players in Demon's and Dark that "souls don't matter, if you lose some don't let it stress you out, just keep throwing yourself at a problem until you solve it". Can't say that any more. You lose those souls, there's no guarantee that you'll ever earn them back without counting on getting summoned or doing PVP. On top of that you have the HP reduction system back in place from Demon's, albeit in a much more forgiving form, and the game is basically telling you that you better damn well know what you're doing before you use a Human Effigy (which are probably also finite).

Better or worse? Well my negative paragraph is longer than the positive one, but don't let that reflect my stance on the game. That's a decision I'll just have to make when I'm finished.

Gorillaz

Well it feels more "free" then before, but in terms level design doesn't feel as "synced" together as ds1 was, where everything and anything was linked together to the point you were like "whaaaaaat"

It's a lot of trade offs for a more "accessible" route this time around. It's not bad but weird. It's too early to really give a good impression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom