• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

It is astonishing how many people die at FIRST BOSS SPOILER
The Last Giant

Like Demon's Souls, does helping a guy out restore your humanity?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The Last Giant

Yes, if server isn't glitchy. Also repairs weapon upon completion.

Of course, I would push forward in the wrong area, underleveled and underequipped, stuck at the
Three Sentinels
boss battle! Its such a relief to know that there is another route to go to.

Some impressions (PS3)

Cons
-The game seems to be more unoptimized than OG Dark/Demons Souls
-Bringing up menus isn't instantaneous
-Controls seem slightly sluggish in comparison
-Interactions with NPCs sometimes stall
-Jittery framerate in a lot of areas
-Audio randomly cuts out for brief moments
-Environment is obviously missing a lot of textures and effects that would be in the PC vers.
-There seems to be a lacking of hairstyles for your character (insignificant)

Pros
-The opening cinematic is fucking cool
-Boss designs are fucking cool
-Dual wielding is fucking cool
-Real capes are fucking cool
-Universal death counter is fucking cool
-References to the previous games are fucking cool
-Upping the difficulty is fucking cool

Regardless of the technical flaws thus far, its still fucking cool.

Trying to just start out .. The first big guy gave me a lot of trouble. I'm an explorer. I can't believe there are TWO big guys not long after.. I just can't do this with this crappy dagger. Is there something I'm missing fighting two at once when one combo rocks me in hollow mode? Further, how do I level up? Use souls? I got to the fire, but don't see options.. rusty.

i was on blackout until release and now that i am playing i have a few questions. i played demons and dark so i know the basics.

weird that you can travel from the beginning this time. sort of annoying that you have to warp back to manjula to level up.

i just beat
the last giant
. since i won relatively easily i assume that was the first boss i was supposed to fight. i got the key and have opened a few doors in the same area. should i stick around this area and push on, or is there another area i should go to first?

en route to the aforementioned boss, i entered a gated area that closed after i entered. once i died i couldnt get back in there. i assume there is another way back in if i explore around enough? also on a platform (up top on the wall) near there some really tough enemy spawned once but i died and havent been able to get him to spawn again. any idea why?

what is the story with some enemies disappearing over time? i may suck at the game, but i feel like with persistence i could overcome that just like i did the first two times! i dont feel stuck yet and i dont like it if the game is taking it easy on me.

thanks for the replies.

has anyone else experienced trouble with the screen resolution with starting up the game???
my resolution instantly goes down as soon as i play the game.

EDIT: PS3 Version

The Last Giant

It's almost random right now.

I've beaten bosses and gotten nothing and one time I killed the host accidentally and was human when I reloaded.

I don't know what they did to the responsiveness, but I really, really, really don't like it. The game feels so sluggish compared to dark souls and demon's souls. I'm getting used to it, and I'm sure it will be fine -- but there was no reason to change that.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Trying to just start out .. The first big guy gave me a lot of trouble. I'm an explorer. I can't believe there are TWO big guys not long after.. I just can't do this with this crappy dagger. Is there something I'm missing fighting two at once when one combo rocks me in hollow mode? Further, how do I level up? Use souls? I got to the fire, but don't see options.. rusty.

Come on. . .

There are like, 4 or 5 sweet weapons before that boss fight - two elemental. :O The White Statue looking guy when you climb the ladder in starting area, he drops a lightning sword. And then in the area below the second bonfire there is a flame one. There are also a couple of Halbreds and a regular longsword. Get out there and explore!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Man, 2v1 fights are tough. I guess invading is going to have to be left to people far more skilled at this game than I am, cause I don't know how I could ever be successful at a 2v1 fight.

Are any of you experiencing major lag/loading issues during character creation? Every time I move a slider, the character model is frozen for 3-6 seconds before it loads the adjustment. Extremely frustrating. I eventually just gave up and accepted the progress I made. I am defeated.

elohel

How many times has this been debunked?

I'll be playing on a 2560*1440 monitor in native resolution, there will be a substantial difference between that and the console versions (disregarding other improvements to image quality). I am very impressed they got the console versions to 720p though.

oh lol then forget everything I said

that is true for that, but I also forgot that consoles aren't really 720 or 1080 anyways usually

but honestly I still think that most people can't tell the difference and a lot of pc gamers still game in 1080p but I'm probably wrong about that as well

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I don't know what they did to the responsiveness, but I really, really, really don't like it. The game feels so sluggish compared to dark souls and demon's souls. I'm getting used to it, and I'm sure it will be fine -- but there was no reason to change that.

I'm assuming its related to adaptability, but this is my main complaint as well.

Between it and the mini-chain stuns I've been getting from regular enemies, something seems...off.

Gorillaz

so is the network maintenance going on right now?

I remember their site having like 3-4 different times it would be down for work in the next 48 hours......

ugh

Come on. . .

There are like, 4 or 5 sweet weapons before that boss fight - two elemental. :O The White Statue looking guy when you climb the ladder in starting area, he drops a lightning sword. And then in the area below the second bonfire there is a flame one. There are also a couple of Halbreds and a regular longsword. Get out there and explore!

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm at the first bonfire and only the first.

Raxus

Come on. . .

I must be blind because I haven't found crap. I could really use a magic weapon for my sorcerer hero.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So spent like 7 hours playing 360 version last night that I got at the midnight release. Got my ps3 copy in the mail today with the guide (not using it for first play through but DAMN is it amazing looking and full of all details.

Going to start ps3 tonight, so I can play with my cousin.

If anyone has questions about details on stats or which weapons made it in the game from dark souls 1 I can look at the glossary and let you know!

isual

lost 40k souls right after the 3 sentinels.

died due to that bomb mob that's in that alley to the next bonfire after them, then after coming back i summoned help, and then that sonovabitch blocked me from going back at that door that leads to the sentinels with a dozen or so skeleton mobs; bastards ganked me

last time i'm ever gonna summon people, unless it is for bosses.

shiettt..

ironcreed

Banned
Saying the game is huge is no exaggeration. Once you start exploring a little deeper, the paths, twists and turns are nuts. It's just as I would have hoped, but it is starting to feel like it is going to be much bigger than the first game. And I have not even scratched the surface.

Eyothrie

How do I repair my weapon? I came across one consumable, but I can't find a smith or more of these consumables to purchase. Help!

ElFly

Jesus, the Forest of the Giants is truly dog ugly.

Best case, there's a shader that isn't supported on the consoles, and it's on the PC version, cause seriously this is HD Gamecube stuff at best.

It's weird cause the area just beyond the sewers is beautiful.

Jeramii

Banned
Question about the Cardinal Tower
my fiancee has a hole in the wall shortcut in her game. I however do not. Any clue what I overlooked or failed to do? She doesn't know how it got there.

sappyday

Fucking
Forrest of Fallen Giants
is seriously kicking my ass. This is essentially the Undead Burg of the game but I never had that much trouble in the beginning of Darks Souls than I am right now.

Corpekata

Banned
Question re: Cathedral of Blue:

After the boss, NPC there is like "Fuck you guy, go away." Doesn't have much dialogue. I imagine he's faction related? Do I need to abandon a faction to get him to talk to me maybe? Or come back with an item?

Kyuur

Me and a friend playing on 360, is the service down for everyone? Get a message saying it's not available. Been like this for a couple hours, so have only been able to play offline.

Sakura

In that Heide area
are those two dragon dudes really bosses? They seem far too easy, especially the guy with the shield. I don't think he even hit me once. Or is that an area you should go to before the giant forest?

Arcayne

I've played about 1.5hrs, and am loving everything FROM has done to the sequel. Just goddamn!

Also, recording stuff off the ps3-to-pc footage is some BS. Why the hell do I need to use component 480/720p settings, ugh.

i have a big problem with this game right now.

my main menu screen and every other game is running 1080p on the ps3.

as soon as i boot up Dark Shouls 2, my screen res instantly drops and idk what to do!

THIS FREAKING SUCKS!

Anyone else experiencing this on the PS3 version?

The game looks horrible like this

Tirod

Question re: Cathedral of Blue:

After the boss, NPC there is like "Fuck you guy, go away." Doesn't have much dialogue. I imagine he's faction related? Do I need to abandon a faction to get him to talk to me maybe? Or come back with an item?

I just beat the boss at the Cathedral and I was able to join the Blue Sentinels right away. He said I had some item that was proof of my worthiness, and I got the prompt to join. I have no idea what it was though...I got a bunch of Cracked Blue Eye Orbs from the Old Knights though, do you have any of those?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom