• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm completely avoiding the online portion and having a great time. Not a fan of jolly cooperation.

Has anyone noticed that you level up pretty fast in this game? I'm like level 40 and have only beat 2 bosses.

Sakura

Agree with your negatives. Its very easy to reach that extinction threshold, especially when grinding against a boss. It's actually very annoying and doesn't make the game easier, it makes it way more frustrating. I remember in DkS1 that eventually, even death after death, I would accrue a large amount of souls, not through purposeful farming, but just trying over and over to get through a level. It was fun, it felt like progress because I could level 2 or 3 times at the end of it. Can't really do that in this game.

The death mechanic is really bugging me. I disliked DeS for the same reason. DkS1 felt great because death sucked, but it taught you something. I was never really afraid to die in DkS1, because the worst thing that could happen is I lose my souls and because of the non-extinction, I could just farm back up if need be. Instead, in DkS2 I hate dying. Its not fun dying. Sure, I learn like I did in DkS1 but its insanely frustrating to be learning a boss, thinking you have it down, use an effigy, die, and be screwed again - because before you know it you're at half health starting out.

On top of the death mechanic, the change in dodging (it seems like they trimmed nearly, if not all, of the invincibility frames) and the proliferation of tracking attacks makes the game seem unfair, which isn't something I would have attributed DkS1, especially after I learned how to play it.

Personally I don't feel extinction of enemies is that big of a deal. Maybe it's all in my head, but it seems like it's a lot cheaper to level up now, so you don't need to grind as much. It's like I gain 5+ levels worth of souls just off of one boss.

I don't think dying is supposed to be fun. So if you're more worried about dying than you were before, isn't that kind of good? Dark Souls has always been about the tension of potential danger to me. And besides, it takes you a decent amount of deaths to get to half health, and it doesn't seem like effigies are particularly that rare anyway.

Tirod

The Covenant (and Bonfire Ascetics) seem intended to give players a bigger challenge, so I see no harm in joining it.

Yeah, I think I'm going to join it right now and stop for the night.

Lots of fun regardless and I love all the options I have going for me right now. I did a quick scouting of several paths and I can go to like 4 different places right now! It's really awesome.

Jobbs

Banned
Seriously someone help.

You can use the soldier key to open some doors around that level, one of which leads to another boss and another area of progress. alternatively you can go back to town and go down one of the passageways (a little tunnel going downwards to the left of the stairs to the champ covenant) which leads to the tower of whatever area, and that's another area you can progress in.

Dresden

some random stuff that bothers me:

a: boss battles are really basic stuff - I wish that, since I've yet to see any interesting mechanics, they could at least look cool. So far one had a goatse face and the others felt more like reskinned versions of basic enemies.

b: Emerald Herald is a nice throwback to the Maiden in Demon's Souls, but she's so goddamn chatty and having to skip through four lines of dialogue every time I need something is mildly (but acutely) annoying. Same goes for all the other NPCs. They talk too much.

c: for all the cool looking outdoor environments, the moment you go into any tunnel or dungeon you are instantly reminded of the fiasco regarding dynamic lighting and its lack. Flat, colorless corridors filled with mindless enemies.

level 72... played an amount of hours I'm embarrassed with admit with barely stopping. the game just keeps going and going. any direction you pick shit just keeps going. dark souls.

now I have to crash in a minute (I'm strangely untired) maybe get some work done and chip away at the game some more.

after all this I get the feeling there's a lot left to do,

only one little thing bothering me a bit at this point is.. purpose. I am going in every direction, going from one landscape to the next, finding all kinds of characters and monsters, killing them, killing bosses, getting their souls, boss after boss after boss, and I never have any sense of who the bosses are or why I'm doing it. the lady at firelink never really tells me anything new. she just wants me to go get big souls. it feels a bit directionless, which I suppose is part of the game's charm. at the same time, I'd like a greater feeling of context. I've killed like 8 bosses and I have no idea who they are or what I'm accomplishing.

Yeah I'm going to have to second this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game to pieces, but I have absolutely no idea what the hell I am actually accomplishing besides dusting off boss after boss. At least in Dark Souls you had the bells and lord vessel, but here it's just an endless march onward.

Still, I am loving the almost metroidvenia aspect of the game. Just being able to go fuck it after a boss has killed you for the tenth time and just go bugger off in an entirely different direction for hours on end is a great feeling, something that the original Dark Souls lacked (at least until you got the lord vessel)

You can use the soldier key to open some doors around that level, one of which leads to another boss and another area of progress. alternatively you can go back to town and go down one of the passageways (a little tunnel going downwards to the left of the stairs to the champ covenant) which leads to the tower of whatever area, and that's another area you can progress in.

Thanks mang. Bonus info for a Kickstarter backer :eek:

Jobbs

Banned
c: for all the cool looking outdoor environments, the moment you go into any tunnel or dungeon you are instantly reminded of the fiasco regarding dynamic lighting and its lack. Flat, colorless corridors filled with mindless enemies.

My complaint has more to do with a lack of purpose or context to my actions, as I alluded to, why am I killing all these bosses -- boss after boss after boss? who are they and what progress am I making? I don't know, the people around firelink never say anything new as a result of me killing more bosses.

re. graphics, honestly, at first I was a little jittery because the framerate was poor in early areas, but over the long run the framerate seems okay in most areas. And the visual quality is really exciting, honestly -- yeah, a few areas are bland, but it has such high highs and is usually at least decent. That animation, too, and the really amazing cloth physics (as I mentioned before, someone swinging a weapon near you makes your clothes react to the gust).

Tirod

Seriously someone help. Giant boss down...where to go next plz. Also picked up a Soul Vessel :eek:

You've got several options. :)

Remain in the Forest of Giants area and finish off another boss. Remember that vista overlooking the ocean before you reached the Giant? Look for a door to open with your newly acquired key.

Or you could head to Majul and do several different things. You could head toward another area past the mansion/pigs which branches off further to two different fog doors.

You could also talk to a certain feline in Majul and acquire a certain ring to head downwards, where you have two paths as well.

Don't forget to upgrade your weapon of choice. ~

I'm highly considering joining [Covenant Spoilers]
the Champions Covenant or whatever it is called. I'm been steamrolling bosses so far with my Dex/Adp build.

Really hoping for something to put me in my place soon, I've breezed through
boss fights no problem. /:

Are you duel wielding? Is that even viable now with the rolling nerfs?

george_us

- It looks better
- Runs better
- Plays better
I disagree with these wholeheartedly. I just popped in DS1 not ten minutes ago and it flat out destroys Dark Souls 2 in almost every category. Dark Souls runs at almost a constant 30 FPS save for the Blightown debacle while DS2 hovers around 20 FPS. Not only that but DS1 has far better texture work, lighting, and characters models plus the environments are significantly more fleshed out. The only environment in DS2 so far that compares is Majula.

the pursuer.. you learned tonight son lol.

Wow I got 22k souls, still level 22 idk where to put points.

Okay, now I get why human effigy is limited. FROM encourages us to do jolly cooperation as the way to return to human form. I'm not mad about it anymore.

You don't even need to succeed in killing the boss to return to human. Just be summoned and that is enough to human.(not sure, please check me on this)

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just had my first anger death. Trying for the 5th time to go get my souls back (keep dying right as I get them) I died to running up to a puny hollow and not realizing I was out of stamina as he just hit me for my last but of health that I was over confident enough to run around with.

Last 50 mins worth of souls gone and I have no one to blame but myself. :(

I disagree with these wholeheartedly. I just popped in DS1 not ten minutes ago and it flat out destroys Dark Souls 2 in almost every category. Dark Souls runs at almost a constant 30 FPS save for the Blightown debacle while DS2 hovers around 20 FPS. Not only that but DS1 has far better texture work, lighting, and characters models plus the environments are significantly more fleshed out. The only environment in DS2 so far that compares is Majula.
As someone who powered through Dark Souls two days ago, I gotta disagree with you. What Dark Souls has over two is a better sense of art direction, and to be fair that carries a game's visuals far more than any technical advancement ever will.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like the dogs in the bastille have a weird hitbox. There are times when I will whiff 6 swings in a row, despite the fact that I should clearly be hitting them. It happens on stairs/inclines but also at other times on level ground.

Tirod

Nope. Just using a Falchion +4 2-Handed.

With my high adaptability I have high agility, and I'm comfortably able to sport mid-high poise armor without go over 70% equip load. So far I haven't needed the poise either since I'm successfully dodging everything, and I've got some awesome rings.

ultron87

That was a fun five hours to start with. My eyes.

I'm slightly perturbed that I spent a lot of time getting past all the pairs of the
turtle iron Knight guys after much difficulty to find nice big dead end. But at least there was a bonfire for the inevitable return.

Zeliard

The rolling invincibility nerf seems to be offset by the ability to wear heavier armor and still have a fast roll (albeit at shorter distances the heavier you are). You can be under something like 60 or 70% equip burden and still have fast roll provided you boost your Adaptability stat.

And dual wielding is quite awesome and effective, yes. Obviously you're losing out on some defense, but you gain a lot in offensive versatility, and you're still able to quickly go two-handed if you want to parry.

the pursuer.. you learned tonight son lol.

Wow I got 22k souls, still level 22 idk where to put points.

Okay, now I get why human effigy is limited. FROM encourages us to do jolly cooperation as the way to return to human form. I'm not mad about it anymore.

You don't even need to succeed in killing the boss to return to human. Just be summoned and that is enough to human.(not sure, please check me on this)
Hmm pretty sure its random. Been killing bosses while summoned and sometimes id comeback into my world and i'd still be hollow.

Jobbs

Banned

Keep playing, forest of giants is hideous but many areas are really cool looking, they don't make any attempt to frontload the good looking stuff in this game. granted it's a bit uneven, but so was dark souls, and in my opinion after also playing Dark Souls 1 on my PS3 in the days leading up to 2 coming out, after playing at least 15 hours of DK2, there's no question in my mind that DK2 is a far better looking game. It's more refined in almost every way imaginable.

nova1b.jpg

there's som uch more intricate detail, motion, and shine -- and I know there's the whole lighting controversy, but I'm comfortable saying DK2, despite last minute nerfs, has much better and more modern lighting and other eyecandy than the first game did. Early on when I only saw the forest of giants I was a bit nervous, but seeing the long view now, having done a dozen areas and seen tons of things, there's just no question that 2 looks way better than 1 and is more modern in every way.

Nope. Just using a Falchion +4 2-Handed.

With my high adaptability I have high agility, and I'vm comfortably able to sport mid-high poise armor without go over 70% equip load. So far I haven't needed the poise either since I'm successfully dodging everything, and I've got some awesome rings.

Falchion r1 spam was pretty insane in DS. So if you put points into adaptability you can quick roll with heavy armor? That sounds insane...

Zukuu

Banned
What does "mundane" upgrade path do?

Why would anyone imbue a weapon with an element tho? Split damage was always meh. Maybe as secondary option to build up bleed \ poison. 156 => 109 + 109.

Any soft caps for adaptability known yet?

Tirod

Falchion r1 spam was pretty insane in DS. So if you put points into adaptability you can quick roll with heavy armor? That sounds insane...

Well keep in mind that's assuming you also have high enough vitality. One of the best benefits of adaptability is that when you reach the cap and you are rolling at a certain equip load %, you get extra distance out of your roll, which is crazy.

I'm not at that point yet (still have several level ups to go) but the stat is showing its value where I'm at now.

Exr

Haven't seen a single summon sign yet...at No Mans level 24. Anyone else experience this still or is it me? Also still can't figure out when to use the small white sign soapstone.

Hmm pretty sure its random. Been killing bosses while summoned and sometimes id comeback into my world and i'd still be hollow.
Wow, really? I die a lot lol and of the 4 times I was summoned and eliminated the boss, I always return to human. then one time I got killed before the boss gets killed I still returned to human form too.

Haven't seen a single summon sign yet...at No Mans level 24. Anyone else experience this still or is it me? Also still can't figure out when to use the small white sign soapstone.
I'm 22 and was able to summon folks. I saw a lot of signs too. Have you checked your summon settings in the options?

Edit. And yes you gotta be in human form to see summon signs.

I just use the white stone in front of the boss fog gate. Always getting summoned in less than 3 minutes.

The rolling invincibility nerf seems to be offset by the ability to wear heavier armor and still have a fast roll (albeit at shorter distances the heavier you are). You can be under something like 60 or 70% equip burden and still have fast roll provided you boost your Adaptability stat.

And dual wielding is quite awesome and effective, yes. Obviously you're losing out on some defense, but you gain a lot in offensive versatility, and you're still able to quickly go two-handed if you want to parry.

Yeah, blocking doesn't feel great now either, though I'm not sure why. Blocking multiple enemies feels suicidal now for whatever reason. A 2h halberd build might be the way to go for me, if I knew where the halberd was... That weapon was worse in Dark Souls than it was in Demon Souls though. Curious to see if its any good since I kind of just want a lot of range against a lot of these enemies.

Jobbs

Banned
Doesn't seem to be the case for shards. Really need to upgrade my greatsword. :(

Funny thing about DkS2 and one of the sort of absurd little ironies is that the game seems to have more incidental items than ever, I'm always getting some new consumable or other doodad that I have no idea what the fuck it does, meanwhile I can't find enough shards to upgrade anything. :D

JoeFenix

Why can't I leave any summon signs on the floor? I'm in human form and I have the white soapstone, it's just always greyed out.

Well keep in mind that's assuming you also have high enough vitality. One of the best benefits of adaptability is that when you reach the cap and you are rolling at a certain equip load %, you get extra distance out of your roll, which is crazy.

I'm not at that point yet (still have several level ups to go) but the stat is showing its value where I'm at now.

So adaptability only increases roll range up to your vitality stat? So you need to level them both together?

Tirod

You gotta be human to see the signs! You using an effigy to restore your humanity?

Jobbs

Banned
Why can't I leave any summon signs on the floor? I'm in human form and I have the white soapstone, it's just always greyed out.

it seems like if you have any connection issue or if PSN nerds out momentarily, you need to relog your character before you can ever soapstone again.

The game doesn't come with a manual and I feel stupid. I have no idea how to level up using souls.. I see no witch like the first game, and I swear it was done at bonfires in the second game.. So I keep marching along and not worrying to omuch about loosing souls, but I'm tired of hearing I can't equip something...

MilkBeard

For those who underestimate the knife, give it a second go. It has a wicked, wicked backstab. You can take out stronger enemies with it pretty easily.

Did you already go to the
Forest of Fallen Giants? If not I suggest you go there first. You should be able to find a better weapon than a dagger, and you'll also be able to get the blacksmith.

How do I get to the
Forest of Fallen Giants?

enoki

The game doesn't come with a manual and I feel stupid. I have no idea how to level up using souls.. I see no witch like the first game, and I swear it was done at bonfires in the second game.. So I keep marching along and not worrying to omuch about loosing souls, but I'm tired of hearing I can't equip something...

Talk to the Emerald Herald in Majula, near the edge of the NE cliff.

Jobbs

Banned
I left a message on the ground that's gotten nearly 50 +'s so far and counting. What do I get for this? Am I gaining anything?

Tirod

So adaptability only increases roll range up to your vitality stat? So you need to level them both together?

No, it's purely off your equipment load percentage. I just brought up Vitality because that's what increases your equipment load.

You could cap Adaptability and never touch vitality, but you could only wear so much armor/weapons equipped at once.

Raising them together is more powerful in my opinion, as it does let your get on that higher poise armor if you forgo that extra distance roll at cap.

Going forward, it will vary by build and which armor set you desire to wear, but adaptability is something you be investing in, even if just a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom