• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
Question about dual-wielding:

I have been using the starting scimitar and a falchion that I've been upgrading. I didn't know about the 1.5x stat requirement for the power mode. Is it worth buying some lesser weapons just to use that mode? Or should I just stick with my weapons until my stats are high enough to do it?

Still cannot believe Zweihander scales better with DEX. You would probably get better results with ultra greatswords if you used a DEX build rather than a STR build. Like seriously what the fuck were they smoking.

Just rolled out of bed. Pot of coffee brewing. My man cave looks like a bomb went off from the pizza box and soda cans laying around. Feel like a teenager again. Love this game so much.

Swuabino

Hmm downed 4 bosses(only died to
last golem lol
) and got 5 estus +1 in ~10hrs not bad. Am I supposed to continue on after
no man's worf
? Also how much
int do I need to talk to the sorc merchant. Will he stay where he is till I get better age stats?
I can't get into what I assume is
huntsman's copse
as there's
some npc petrified
. I know the
miracle lady
opens a path too but im outta souls atm.

If you killed the boss in No Man's Wharf and took the boat, the next area is the Lost Bastille. It might be difficult at your current level, but it's probably doable. You can also get to Lost Bastille by clearing the rest of the bosses in Forest of Fallen Giants, which is the way I went. You'll also get an item in the area after Lost Bastille that will let you unpetrify the lady in the woods, opening up the Shaded Woods. If you're interested in Huntsman's Copse, that's actually accessible through the tunnel between Majula and Heides Tower from the miracle vendor.

Onionkid

lol. Seems you guys got burned by him or something. I'll take your advice. :D

Yup, haha. He's a Heide Knight guy...you'll find a couple of that type lounging around throughout the game. They all drop a Heide piece of gear...it's nice that even if you aggro them, they don't care on respawn. A bit harder (hardly) than the normal folks of that area and can give you new gear if you win.

Zukuu

Banned
Just rolled out of bed. Pot of coffee brewing. My man cave looks like a bomb went off from the pizza box and soda cans laying around. Feel like a teenager again. Love this game so much.

This will be me coming thursday night. Getting pizza, doing a big shopping to keep me filled with lots of unhealthy stuff and coke zero. <3 Glorious days await me.

Persuer
down. Dude is like Artorias-lite.

Does anyone know what happens to that boss fight if you
beat him the first time he shows up earlier in the level?

The death mechanic is really bugging me. I disliked DeS for the same reason. DkS1 felt great because death sucked, but it taught you something. I was never really afraid to die in DkS1, because the worst thing that could happen is I lose my souls and because of the non-extinction, I could just farm back up if need be. Instead, in DkS2 I hate dying. Its not fun dying. Sure, I learn like I did in DkS1 but its insanely frustrating to be learning a boss, thinking you have it down, use an effigy, die, and be screwed again - because before you know it you're at half health starting out.

Honestly I've been finding myself playing hollow with 50% health more often than not for the express purpose of trivializing death, to recapture some of that Dark Souls 1 feel. Everything is trivial that is except for the souls I lose, which I'm never getting back again unless I start seriously doing co-op.

Jury's still out on whether I like this system or not. As I've mentioned before in past DSII threads, limiting souls is one way to reinforce permanence and sound decision making in a game that otherwise lets you respec your entire character with impunity. The system is tough, and seemingly fair, but we'll see how hurting for souls I am by the end of the game. If I'm having issues affording an item I want in the late game and don't have any luck with co-op my mood will probably sour on the whole thing. Still in "wait and see" mode.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just got invaded for the first time by some guy named shell something. SLAYED THAT FOOL. my heart was beating like crazy, but man...I was so happy when I got the win.

Said I was done for the night but I couldn't resist. Got the boss in The Lost Bastille
Three Knights D:
. Gonna need some help with this tomorrow.

Was doing decent damage with my greatsword one handed, but everyone else didn't seem to be doing enough damage.

Zaventem

So my internet decided to fuck up as soon as dark souls arrived. Sure i could play it offline but i needed that online experience.

Dresden

Took out the
Ruin Sentinels

Really need a better weapon - still relying on Longsword +3 and a Bandit Axe +4. Acquired the Large Club, but it doesn't have the rolling 1HR1 anymore. ;_;

Dartastic

I'm really glad I'm not the type of person who freaks out over tech stuff, because if I was I'd be going insane right now with everything that is going on in the lighting thread. Can't wait to get my copy in via Gamefly tomorrow. I know the gameplay is still solid, and that's all that really matters to me. People really need to learn to chill the fuck out more.

shinn623

So apparently, I went the wrong way haha. After arriving in the first town,
I went towards the giants, and made my way through and beat the boss on my first try (ridiculously easy just strafe around :p, and currently at the bonfire below underground.

I should've headed towards the for
est of giants.
Didn't even realize that doorway towards that area until after I teleported back to town. Thank you previous souls games for making me skilled enough to do the harder section first, without realizing it was the harder area. I probably should have noticed when I was getting 400 souls per enemy haha. Curious did anyone make the same mistake I did? I can't be alone can I?

Probably going to re-roll as cleric. As I started as swordsmen, but cleric seems more well rounded stat wise and having healing spell is helpful. Even though the cleric has that ugly ass cloak.

Ostinatto

In case you still need the help:
At the bonfire, look to the right of the worldwide death counter and towards the ocean. She is overlooking the ocean at a cliff slightly below you initially.
:)

I've heard her position varies initially, but she's there somewhere.

damn the downgrade!, i thought she was a black rock or something.

Anyone in the Blue sentinels covenant? How do you use those Fidelity tokens and what are they used for?

To answer my own question for anyone who would like to know: Fidelity tokens are used to spar with people of the same covenant as you! (Blue Sentinels) The more you win, the more you get Blue cracked eyestones, which lets you invade the world of players who are guilty. (sadly, I don't think it works for the moment, since there seems to be a really big lack of invasions happening.)

Anyone know how to open that big dark green door in the forest of giants?

Persona7

Banned
Fucking UPS. Amazon contacted them and my copy is guaranteed to be delivered by 10:30AM tomorrow. Unless the driver lies again about trying to make the delivery. I got two other packages early in the morning but I think dark souls was forgotten and left on the truck.

At the end of the night the page updated saying they attempted to make a delivery but nobody was home.

Jiraiya

Just found the first wall in the game,
the three fucking sentinels
. It took me about 8 times to finally beat them.

This will be me coming thursday night. Getting pizza, doing a big shopping to keep me filled with lots of unhealthy stuff and coke zero. <3 Glorious days await me.

Yeah man, nothing wrong with eating junk food every so often. Don't forget the tums. I had some nasty heart burn when I woke up.

I'm curious about an npc after an old foe:

I'm in that blue chapel right after defeating the old dragonslayer and there is some blue knight guy. What exactly am I suppose to do for him?

Jiraiya

I'm curious about an npc after an old foe:

I'm in that blue chapel right after defeating the old dragonslayer and there is some blue knight guy. What exactly am I suppose to do for him?
You need to a token of fidelity to join the covenant, help somebody beat a boss to get it.

MilkBeard

lol. Seems you guys got burned by him or something. I'll take your advice. :D

And here I was going to leave him alone because he looks like Solaire. Anyway, I decided to slay that fool, killed him mainly by throwing witching urns at him. He gives a good amount of souls.

Prototype

question about an NPC you run into early in the game.

He looks like he is holding the moonlight, he talks about how the person turned to stone looks like she is still alive. Is he actually holding the moonlight blade?

Anyone found a use for torches or lighting braziers yet? I have the game's darkness level set at the lowest and I can still see the "dark" areas clear as day. What made From go back on this design choice? Why even keep the torches in the game? They feel like a weird pre-build artifact now.

Anyone found a use for torches or lighting braziers yet? I have the game's darkness level set at the lowest and I can still see the "dark" areas clear as day. What made From go back on this design choice? Why even keep the torches in the game? They feel like a weird pre-build artifact now.

They're incredibly useful in
No-Man's Wharf for scaring away certain enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom