• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupcoffee

Anyone found a use for torches or lighting braziers yet? I have the game's darkness level set at the lowest and I can still see the "dark" areas clear as day. What made From go back on this design choice? Why even keep the torches in the game? They feel like a weird pre-build artifact now.

Shit, if you don't mind I want to know:

How many areas have those things?

How widespread are they in the areas they are used?

Do the "areas supposed to be dark" seem large?

Carcetti

Anyone found a use for torches or lighting braziers yet? I have the game's darkness level set at the lowest and I can still see the "dark" areas clear as day. What made From go back on this design choice? Why even keep the torches in the game? They feel like a weird pre-build artifact now.

There are a couple of really dark areas. Also, in some places you can use the torch to light flammable substances to burn enemies by rolling through them.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

Played up until the 4th boss or so and from what I've seen so far, I think the torch mechanic would've been a huge, huge drag on vast swaths of the game. Like some Doom 3 meets Shadowgate shit. Feeling kind of glad that they took it out, but hopefully someone makes a mod of the PC version to restore it all because I'm curious to play it and see.

Can't defend the other aesthetic downgrades though.

Kyuur

Been playing for about 7 hours now. Loving it, just as good as game as DkS1 in my opinion, and I haven't even played all the content!

- Not being able to level up at bonfires is not an issue like I thought it might be, and warping doesn't take away any sense of exploration. It's actually just more convenient.
- I'm a bit upset I haven't been able to find any pyromancy early. :(
- Xbox Live servers have been down, so I haven't got a chance to do any online stuff. But cracked eye orbs drop like candy, so PVP will be easy!
- Overall, it feels like I am getting more loot than DkS1 and it makes progression feel great. Particularily more rings than DkS1, which is cool because you can use them no matter what character you are making.
- Playing as deprived, my dagger broke when I didn't know what I was doing fairly early on (just before the 2nd bonfire in the first area). This was incredibly frustrating as I wasn't strong enough to wield the next non-broken weapon I had. Almost had me ending my session for today, but I kept on going and once I could wield again all was good. They should have put in someway to repair your broken weapon early.
- Half health can be a bit annoying, but makes staying alive more rewarding. Once I got some points into Vigor it became less of an issue.
- The areas in the game are beautiful and so far, quite varied. I don't get the graphics issues. Definitely as good or better looking than DkS1.

And some spoilerish playthrough questions and thoughts:

In the second half of the first area:

I love how the multiple shortcuts to the second bonfire, especially the one caused by blowing up the wall which I did completely on accident.

You see the second boss of the area and can fight him after the second bonfire. I wonder if you can kill him here, and if it affects the game somehow other than not having to fight him again?

I also wonder if there is anything you can do with the two giants that are sleeping (one in the area with all the turtle knights, and one to the right of the first turtle knight).

In Majula, is there anything in the
Mansion, other than the small area with the skeleton? I got a facestone as well. I was thinking it would lead to another area.

So far my progress is:
Have beaten the Giant and Dragon Knight and have met the Pursuer and the rat army most recently. So many rats! Haven't quite figured out a good strategy for them, will probably return later. Probably will go explore the crag some more or the fire tower area.

PoXYSpD.jpg

Cinnamon crunch bagel with cream cheese, cup of freshly ground coffee, and no work till Friday night.

Umbassa!

Veggy

So Vinny from giantbomb has had weapons break and thinks it is because he was hitting his weapon off a wall is this true?

Yep, hitting walls will reduce weapon durability

Regarding torches
they can also be used to make certain boss fights easier

Footos22

Beat
last giant and pursuer
First time.
Easy as hell. didnt even get hit. died about 50x in between them though lool.

The world death count is an amazing touch went from 700000 to 1 million odd in less then 2 hours lol

Game is amazing. didnt feel like a souls game to start but it finds its identity not far into first main area.

Went through fog gate thinking it leads to next area, had no estus flasks left. Got destroyed by
3 sentinals, got one of em though :(

That shiny stone by old ladys hut at beginning why does it give different rewards at the crows nest, first time i dropped it and it gave me a titanite slab!

Then when decided to go with different class it gave me a magic stone instead.
Found a titnaite slab not long after anyway but i could of potentially of had 2 by now and only been playing 3-4 hours

Warewolf

Well, no idea if this is common knowledge but I just discovered you can destroy wooden chests if you attack them enough. If you break it whatever was inside is reduced to
Rubbish
. So there's a constant supply if it becomes valuable down the line.
The Crows in Things Betwixt have no interest in it.

Mendrox

So Vinny from giantbomb has had weapons break and thinks it is because he was hitting his weapon off a wall is this true?

It is true weapons can break if you hit them against a wall.

Welp, I need some progessing help, I killed 5 bosses so far:

Ornstein, Last Giant, Dragonrider, Pursueder and the Sentinel or whatever the thing was in the No Mans Wharf

Got to the next area after No Mans Wharf and I progress there nicely, but are there any other Bon fires (I got only one) in Forest of Giants? And I heard there is another way to go to Heides Ruin/Tower which has to be from No Mans Wharf, right? Is there any progession guide or something like that? I think I miss too many paths.

Edit:

Is there a way to get the ship back? I didn't grab the pyromancy because I was scared that the box had poison or something like that. Now the ship is gone.
Can I get it back in No Mans Wharf with the switch for the ship?

Nose Master

It might be because I'm getting tired, but, fuck No Man's Wharf indeed. Jesus. I'm gonna run around with my torch and see if that's easier, cause cheesing enemies and crossing my fingers is gettin pretty tiring :(

Is summoning down or something? Trying to get help killing a boss and I've clicked like 20 summon signs but they all say failed or the sign went away. Whats up with that?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There is two crossbows in the boss area that you can activate and shoot. It literally two shots him.
Haha, I tried using them but to no avail, he'd just destroy them. I got him the legit way, at least. :)

I'm not ashamed to admit my first (and thus far only) death was in the tutorial area.

In that section where the message tells you to look around carefully, I just ran forward like a fool and fell into an abyss (in my defense, I had some glare on my screen and didn't see it).
LOL dude exact same scenario here, my first death was in the very first area, tried to look around, but I was playing in the afternoon so the sunlight glare got in the way and I fell into some pit. Hahaha

WTF the
Pursuer
boss can
CURSE
you and its only the second boss.

THIS GAME
Yeah I saw that, but uh... it doesn't seem to actually do anything? I respawned
normally with only the 5% or so HP loss. What does curse do?

ok another question where is the orange soapstone at to write messages
It took me forever to realize you could do it in the menu.... xD I got as far as
Heide's
Tower before I realized it. I even backtracked a bunch of times to explore older areas to make sure I hadn't missed the obvious orange soapstone (and sometimes died doing that!). So silly. So I'm about 12 hours in and only killed two bosses and made it to
Heide's
Tower.

Uh guys I need some help regarding wooden chests. *snip*
Just hit them once. They don't break unless multiple hits.
Jesus christ... that is good to know. I've been attacking just about every chest, though only once. I'll be really prudent in the future. Really sucks that enemies can break them too apparently. :S

You can use a human effigy but apparently it also respawns all the enemies in the area and puts them at NG+ difficulty. Also they seem to be a bit rare :x
No no no, that's a different item. Consuming a human effigy restores your human form, that's it. Burning it at the bonfire prevents (or reduces) invasions and coop. I accidentally burned one too. -_-

the cartographer is in the mansion house at majula
Hmmm, he's no longer in that cave, and he's not in the mansion either? Where in the mansion is he? I didn't look again where the
skeleton
was, but he wasn't in the room with all the books, nor on the sunlit balcony.

Does anyone know how to get across the gap?

1yRAbB6.jpg

Thanks!
Took me a few tries but you just gotta jump. When I did get the jump I stripped out all my gear just to be sure, though it doesn't seem to make much of a difference at 0% and <70% of your equip burden? Must just be timing. Anyway, that treasure is crap, just souls IIRC. :\

It might be because I'm getting tired, but, fuck No Man's Wharf indeed. Jesus. I'm gonna run around with my torch and see if that's easier, cause cheesing enemies and crossing my fingers is gettin pretty tiring :(

I did not like that place either. A good chunk of my deaths are in that place. So glad I cleared it. The enemies there just do so much damage, and gang up on you in a flash. Way to many of those monsters too. D:

Anyone been invaded yet?

Haven't been invaded in 14 hours of playing and when I try to use a blue cracked orb they don't work and the auto summoning for the protector faction still hasn't had any results :/ Summoning seems to work perfectly though.

And how do chests work?
I hit one to disable the trap and still got killed. What are you supposed to do?

Artorias

Banned
So I started as a melee but I bought Soul Arrow and upped my Int enough to use it, but it's hitting for nothing, I guess because my stats are too low for Transgressors Staff. Is that what's happening? I was full melee in my only playthrough of Dark 1 so I'm not sure.

Is there any casting weapon I can easily pick up or buy? I've only killed The Last Giant. Getting my int up for the one I have would be easy, but I'd still be down 6 faith :(

Haven't been invaded in 14 hours of playing and when I try to use a blue cracked orb they don't work and the auto summoning for the protector faction still hasn't had any results :/ Summoning seems to work perfectly though.

And how do chests work?
I hit one to disable the trap and still got killed. What are you supposed to do?

Maybe everyone is just busy playing the game? It's so bizarre playing a souls game, and not get invaded. People where invading like crazy in the beta and it wasn't even working properly then.

Garland7G

Anyone been invaded yet?
Been playing all night and never been invaded once. Speaking of the community, has anyone had any co-op play with randoms on PS3? I tried to summon a few times for The Pursuer and it seemed liked it wasn't working right. I didn't finally get a co-op partner (shout out to Bonecrusher23 whoever you are!) but it took ages to finally, connect.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So has it been confirmed that you can buy (or at least farm) infinite titanite shards at some point? I am really worried about the blacksmith's dwindling stock. :S I want to experiment with a bunch of weapons but not if they're at +0...

And how do chests work?
Not sure. The one in the Giant Forest, near where you use that weird face contraption,
I saw messages warning about trap/poison, so I attacked once, nothing happened. I took a chance and opened it, and there was poison (? I think, I avoided it) gas coming out so I hurriedly rolled away, then a bunch of darts (again I assume poison based on the messages left by others) scattered all around but luckily none hit me. I don't know if I just got lucky, if you have to hurry to dodge the trap, or something else?

Qps0lTz.jpg

So were should I dump some souls? I deff gonna level up health and stamina but I dunno if I should keep dumping into strength or not. Also I got a Fire Long Sword + 2 now. While its good now I don't wanna fall into the Dragon Tail sword problem of dumping everything into it then it sucking later.

What should I do?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Qps0lTz.jpg

So were should I dump some souls? I deff gonna level up health and stamina but I dunno if I should keep dumping into strength or not. Also I got a Fire Long Sword + 2 now. While its good now I don't wanna fall into the Dragon Tail sword problem of dumping everything into it then it sucking later.

What should I do?

Stop being afraid to take chances and man up, son!

Arcayne

Done for the night (more like morning ~_~). Ended my 5 hr session killing Forest of Giants Boss
The Last Giant
. I died more times than I should have, and was kind angry at myself at dying to such a slooooooow and sluggish boss - even slower than Taurus Demon! Time to think of where to allocate my points for levels while I try to zzz. This was worth the wait. Exceeded all expectations so far!

By the way, which stats are you guys prioritizing right now? Vig, End, Vit, and Adp sounds the must-haves for general purposes. I aiming to play around as a
Melee-Faith
build myself, let's see how that goes, lol.

Qps0lTz.jpg

What should I do?

I heard adaptability is good. Maybe level that up to 8 since, if I understand this correctly (mechanics explanation, spoilered if you don't wanna know about that stuff)
your agility is determined by END and ADP, where the lowest of the two counts

Done for the night (more like morning ~_~). Ended my 5 hr session killing Forest of Giants Boss
The Last Giant
. I died more times than I should have, and was kind angry at myself at dying to such a slooooooow and sluggish boss - even slower than Taurus Demon! Time to think of where to allocate my points for levels while I try to zzz. This was worth the wait. Exceeded all expectations so far!

By the way, which stats are you guys prioritizing right now? Vig, End, Vit, and Adp sounds the must-haves for general purposes. I aiming to play around as a
Melee-Faith
build myself, let's see how that goes, lol.

I don't have the game yet (Europe release date is the 14th :( ), but I plan to start as a Swordsman, and later invest into faith once I feel comfortable with my HP/stamina/attack. In DS1, I prefered DEX weapons over STR ones, and I like being the healer archetype in MP games, so that's why I'm going that route. Little bummed that I won't get much use out of bad ass medium/heavy armor now that it scales with STR, though.

Ganondorfo

For people who finished this. Is there an epic amazing boss fight like the duo Smough and Ornstein in Dark Souls 2? Or an epic fight like the King allant fight in Demons Souls? Thx for answering. Because the souls games for me were all about the boss fights.

Footos22

So has it been confirmed that you can buy (or at least farm) infinite titanite shards at some point? I am really worried about the blacksmith's dwindling stock. :S I want to experiment with a bunch of weapons but not if they're at +0...

Not sure. The one in the Giant Forest, near where you use that weird face contraption,
I saw messages warning about trap/poison, so I attacked once, nothing happened. I took a chance and opened it, and there was poison (? I think, I avoided it) gas coming out so I hurriedly rolled away, then a bunch of darts (again I assume poison based on the messages left by others) scattered all around but luckily none hit me. I don't know if I just got lucky, if you have to hurry to dodge the trap, or something else?

Dont really need to spoiler that. it's not actually poison and you can just block the darts with a shield. no need to move.

Mendrox

For people who finished this. Is there an epic amazing boss fight like the duo Smough and Ornstein in Dark Souls 2? Or an epic fight like the King allant fight in Demons Souls? Thx for answering. Because the souls games for me were all about the boss fights.

Yes, but nothing exactly like Smough and Ornstein, but there are other awesome battles. One really really big one about 70-80% into the game.

Just beat the first(or one I suppose) of the four giant souls which makes a nice place to call a break.
Sinner's Rise one in particular, forget the name. The lock breaking was crazy, but I managed to get it the first time around thanks to my summon. Just glad the lead up didn't end up being an entire water level

So how may deaths do you think Dark Souls 2 will hit by the end of the week? When I started there was already 500,000+, two hours later it was close to 2 million. Dunno what the tally is now. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom