• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, a guy summons me
"Hi, let's go and kick some ass!"
"Alright, let's go"
Guy walks into boss room

*The other player has left the area, returning to your world*

This happened twice.

Tirod

Anyone know any good places to get titanite chunks? Needing them to upgrade my weapon now.

[Covenant Spoilers]
Become a guard for the Belfry Bell and each invasion you win nets you a Titanite Chunk. I'm actually doing that right now, won 5 invasions thus far.

[Covenant Spoilers]
Become a guard for the Belfry Bell and each invasion you win nets you a Titanite Chunk. I'm actually doing that right now, won 5 invasions thus far.

Any other way?
I'm in the Knights of the Blue and I'd prefer to stay there until I've maxed it out

Tirod

Any other way?
I'm in the Knights of the Blue and I'd prefer to stay there until I've maxed it out

None that I know of. I literally just discovered the covenant and started messing around. Haven't seen Titanite Chunks anymore prior to this point.

SJRB

Gold Member
pZ7o9ga.gif

Only 48 hours left. I can do this. Also - I hate you all.

Raide

I'm at the beginning.

Then I would say level up stats. They will keep you alive as you hunt around and find weapons that you will later think about upgrading. If you get into the game, then you will be doing plenty of runs to find and upgrade items.

teddybomber

Neo Member
Don't know if I can but I our hate of everyone is mutual. I'm actually trying to avoid anything concerning DS II because I want to savour the mystery of stepping into a dangerous world you know absolutely nothing about.

derwalde

And some spoilerish playthrough questions and thoughts:

In the second half of the first area:

I love how the multiple shortcuts to the second bonfire, especially the one caused by blowing up the wall which I did completely on accident.

how do you do that?

eot

Banned
I don't have the game but I'm wondering: what's the benefit of dual wielding other than it looking cool? Do you get a stamina or damage bonus?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm wondering if someone who's beaten the game already or is close, can tell me how far along I am?

I'm in
drangleic castle right now. I have to make it past a claustrophic brazzers-room full of statues and sentinels.

I'm guessing 80%

on the topic of shards: where do i get more titanite shards from? my blacksmith is empty. will he restock some time?

a source of infinite (small) shards is available if you make progress.

btw they made poison like 10x more annoying in this game than DkS 1.
The black gulch
is From basically laughing in your face. Luckily the boss there was easy

Kamina

Golden Boy
pZ7o9ga.gif

Always think positive. There are people who have to wait even longer.
I cant play it before Saturday, even though the game will be waiting for me at home since today, because I'm on holiday in another country.

Carcetti

I noticed one enemy type at least drops titanite chunks on death

the disgusting tentacle thingies in holes under the poison corridor beneath Gutters

There's another vendor that sells small shards too.

the woman you meet going via huntsman copse -> harvest valley, and the fat hammer guys there drop shards

What dex weapons are you guys liking? I rolled Knight and just picked up a Falchion after beating the first boss. Upgraded my dex so I could wield it and got the sword to +2. I went with the Uchigatana in DS but I don't know if it's any good in the new game. TBH the finite amount of upgrade materials is scaring me away from trying new weapons, though they may be farmable so idk.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just invaded and killed someone named big fat hogan? obviously a play on big hat Logan. Super close fight, great fun. So far in pvp I am undefeated.

Forkball

How is pyromancy in this game?

Also anyone here roll swordsman? I'm interested in it because it has high DEX and INT. I wanna be half sword swinger, half fireball chucker.

Mana Sin

Weird. I'm not getting game audio anymore. It worked find yesterday and even worked fine for a bit today until it just stopped. Restarting my PS3 didn't help. I still have sound in my XMB, but once I start the game, nothing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What dex weapons are you guys liking? I rolled Knight and just picked up a Falchion after beating the first boss. Upgraded my dex so I could wield it and got the sword to +2. I went with the Uchigatana in DS but I don't know if it's any good in the new game. TBH the finite amount of upgrade materials is scaring me away from trying new weapons, though they may be farmable so idk.

Still using the falchion after 40+ hours. Never used it in DkS, but it was the best DEX scaling weapon I found early in the game, and I kept leveling it. I maxed it, and at +10 it's doing great damage. I only use the R1 moves though, the heavy attack sucks.

Maxed out great scythe as well, but I don't like it as much as DkS1.

Mendrox said:
Rather 70% ;-)

God damn this game is enormous

Mendrox

I'm wondering if someone who's beaten the game already or is close, can tell me how far along I am?

I'm in
drangleic castle right now. I have to make it past a claustrophic brazzers-room full of statues and sentinels.

I'm guessing 80%

a source of infinite (small) shards is available if you make progress.

btw they made poison like 10x more annoying in this game than DkS 1.
The black gulch
is From basically laughing in your face. Luckily the boss there was easy

Rather 70% ;-)

Tiops

Playing without any help is really difficult. You don't know which weapons are good or if you're going to find something better than what you're using, and the game has so many branching paths...

I'm really liking it, I think the gameplay is not as good as the first Dark Souls (for various little reasons), but it's still awesome. I don't know exactly what is the problem, but it feels less fluid.

I pretend to use swords, so I'm making a quality build. Currently using the Heide Knight Sword and a Greatsword. Still at the first area, didn't find any boss yet.

Looks like the servers are back up for 360. After a full night of playing offline and trying several times to connect, I just tried it again and it worked.

MrDaravon

Still using the falchion after 40+ hours. Never used it in DkS, but it was the best DEX scaling weapon I found early in the game, and I kept leveling it. I maxed it, and at +10 it's doing great damage. I only use the R1 moves though, the heavy attack sucks.

Maxed out great scythe as well, but I don't like it as much as DkS1.

Does anyone know if the Falchion moveset in this game is the same as the last? I rolled mainly dex in both games, but I personally hated the Falchion moveset in Dark Souls. Mostly using a Fire Longsword I found at the moment.

Ourobolus

Banned
Welp, played a couple hours last night. Never encountered a boss since I was taking it slow and exploring everywhere I could. Also spent most of my time killing any "mini-bosses" I saw. So the 3 [spoilers]Giants[/spoiler] in Things Betwixt and the beginning, getting my revenge on the
pigs
, and taking down that
knight
in Forest of the Giants.

Made it to a little bit after the room with the ballista trap. I actually died trying to make this stupid jump (someone else's pic):
And then I went to bed.

Fantastic so far.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Does anyone know if the Falchion moveset in this game is the same as the last? I rolled mainly dex in both games, but I personally hated the Falchion moveset in Dark Souls. Mostly using a Fire Longsword I found at the moment.

I hear it's definitely not the same and it's 'nerfed' compared to Dark 1. I'm satisfied with it, except to hunt crystal lizards and other small enemies like spiders. Sometimes it just hits air, even when you're right in front of the enemy.

Played maybe 3 hours last night and I really like the game so far, I ended up going with the Bandit class since I am going to not use magic. I feel it fits in with the other games in the series, the sound and graphics are good and I haven't notice any bad slowdowns. I finished up the night loosing all my souls I had collected and never leveled up even once. Sad, I know. Couple things I noticed:

- I seemed to die more from environmental issues than enimies
- When I did die from enimies it was because I got swarmed or from a body I though was dead (backstab)
- Level design in the early game is really nice and the levels all have multiple floors
- Love the Town/Hub

Whilst I'm waiting till Friday, can I ask those playing now what the environments are like in terms of detail, clues and lore? Are they as rich as DS1 with little details and such?

Ourobolus

Banned
Also, I don't think I saw an answer for my previous question - is there a point to dual-wielding? I mean, I feel like having a shield would be much better for defense, but do you get a damage boost? Is it better than dual-handing a weapon?

I hear it's definitely not the same and it's 'nerfed' compared to Dark 1. I'm satisfied with it, except to hunt crystal lizards and other small enemies like spiders. Sometimes it just hits air, even when you're right in front of the enemy.

By the way, what's the strenght requirement for the Falchion? I want to know what stats I need to (dual) wield it.

Unrelated to Dark Souls II but are there any rumblings of what From has in the works now that this is out? Armored Core for the new systems, new ip, etc?

Well, it took me about 5 hours of playing in the first area to beat that dragon rider and move on. I'm move rusty than I thought but maybe this mean I can keep playing.

Already not thrilled about how npc's are layed out. I seriously missed the green mage for a few hours and was trying to move on without my flask and upgrades. It seems good, but it's not grabbing me like DS1 did right at the start.

Also I stayed on total blackout about the game but it feels like there may be a bit more story? There was a cutscene after it started which I thought was nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom