• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

desbrisay

Neo Member
Played around 3 hours at a friends house last night on the PS3.

It felt very nice, I thought the graphics we a big improvement, the zones were more open and the early progression felt well designed - especially for new players.

I'm waiting for the PC release, but this game has gone from something I was simply interested in to HYPE. My friend had the guide book and looking at all the armor sets and weapons you can see that the level of customization for players is going to be huge.

derwalde

What dex weapons are you guys liking? I rolled Knight and just picked up a Falchion after beating the first boss. Upgraded my dex so I could wield it and got the sword to +2. I went with the Uchigatana in DS but I don't know if it's any good in the new game. TBH the finite amount of upgrade materials is scaring me away from trying new weapons, though they may be farmable so idk.

the rapier is one of my favored dex weapons. though its r2 is a parry animation in DS2.

Ricker

The game has never been about graphics. Say what you will, but some of these environments blow other games out the water.

Janky animations are a series staple.. Love or hate them.

Insane difficulty is part of the games appeal.. It's not for everyone.

Enemies no longer infinity re-spawn. It's much harder to grind your way through this one.

The menu/UI is better. But I agree there's room for improvement.

It's really not for everyone. Even accomplished players are having a tough go with DS2. Over a million deaths day one (last I checked).

I will give you an example of things that are just there to make life harder on you...I paid 1,000 souls for the key to open the Blacksmiths shop and it cost me 700 souls to repair my Scimitar + 1...about 3 kills later,probably because I also banged it on a wall a few times killing something,it's fucking damaged again...also what can I put in the top center rectangle...? I am guessing magic but since I am a swordsman for now,I dont have any spells...how about the bombs...? as far as I can see I need to throw them through my open inventory...? or can I put it in said top slot(playing on 360)...

If I travel back to level up,will the ennemies be all back...also somekind of map would be useful,they could of added that...etc etc...

tesqui

Does
breaking a chest
only give you
rubbish
, cause the
two I've broken
gave me only
rubbish

After putting in about 5 hours yesterday, I think this is one of the best sequels I've ever played. The punishment for dying hollow is so brutal! The online seems way more smooth but I was still getting some lagged out/walled monsters when two other phantoms were in game. Looking forward to seeing if this game will be better overall than the original.

Ourobolus

Banned
I think I really need to improve my Vigor stat. Swordsman has such a shitty one, but I've mostly been focusing on END, ADP, DEX, and STR when I need it. I'd rather be able to block and dodge than get hit though.

Mendrox

I really can't think where, can someone give me a hint?

I'm at the last giant boss, as far as I can tell I have cleared out the forest of giants area before that (including area with boulder rolling on you). I went to that tower area you get to via the aqueduct and ran past the big dudes, eventually got to a boss and got one hit. I can't think where else I could explore, I've cleared out betwixt and the only other place was blocked by a statue infront of a lever.

THAT was one of the areas. It is an easy area (beginner bosses). There are two bosses and the boss on the right tower is the easier one imo. Just dodge dodge attack. Easy as that. I took him on as the first boss with Soul Level 23

Mana Sin

i did that, but the item is still there.

You said "
snuggly
", so I'm not sure if you're referring to Dark Souls 1 or 2.

In Dark Souls 1,
you need to drop the appropriate item and reload the game.

In the sequel,
you simply "leave" the appropriate item. The crows will celebrate, and you can immediately pick up your prize.

spliced

I gotta say after playing for a few hours I'm pretty disappointed. I don't know how I didn't see someone say this already but this isn't DaS2, it's DeS2 regardless of what the title says. It both looks and plays more like DeS than DaS. It has that slower, clunkier more automated combat like DeS which I'm not a fan of, it just feels like any other game to me. One of the biggest joys of DaS for me is how quick, responsive and accurate the feeling of control is in the game. That's why it's so fun to play over and over again trying out all the different ways to play.

I feel like I would have preferred if they just made a full game sized expansion pack for Dark Souls rather than this.

TheGrue

Am I missing something or when you go to buy armor, does it not tell you whether the armor is better than your current armor?

Ostinatto

You said "
snuggly
", so I'm not sure if you're referring to Dark Souls 1 or 2.

In Dark Souls 1,
you need to drop the appropriate item and reload the game.

In the sequel,
you simply "leave" the appropriate item. The crows will celebrate, and you can immediately pick up your prize.

the crows says, " you you, not like that ", i am doing something wrong?

What SL has everybody been fighting the first boss (
The Last Giant
) at? I just realized I may be under leveled since I've been mostly using the souls I don't lose for items to help me out.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there any item that would help against armor breaking?

Niahak

Anybody playing a sorcerer? Does it get better? Tempted to restart because of the squishyness.

It didn't get much better for me. You have to level a couple times to use the weakest shield I've found. You pretty much have to dodge more often and be more cautious about running into areas. Soul Arrow has enough uses that you can make it most of the way between bonfires using it almost exclusively though. Sorcerer seems to make the game more difficult, where in Demon's / Dark 1 it made things much easier - but I haven't tried another class, so I can't say for sure.

That said, I felt pretty awesome taking down multiple enemies at once with a dagger. I'm actually a little glad it'd take 12+ levels to start using a "decent" weapon, since it's forcing me to use the "crappy" one as a tradeoff for starting out with spells.

Damnit I just picked up my go to weapon, the long sword and they changed the strong attack from the stab to the swipe. Why'd they do that for? The broad sword already does this.

Glad the 360 servers seem to be working this morning. :)

Mana Sin

Yeah,
that's a negative response. You're looking for a positive one.

I forget what
Snuggly
says in Dark Souls 1, but
the Silky and Smooth crows get really happy when you give them something silky/smooth
in this game.

Mupod

Oh god it's finally here, hope the lady working at the post office right now isn't the grumpy one who won't give me my parcels if I don't have the delivery notice card. I was past my limit weeks ago, I need my dark souls.

Still not even sure if I want to start as cleric or explorer, I'd end up with the same stats in the end. I could just flip a coin maybe.

thejpfin

EU servers aren't up yet I take it :/

It's only 2 days early.

Also I got really excited when I saw an actual, proper manual with the game
KuGsj.gif

I just got the game, 2 days early! This is awesome.

If EU servers are not up, EU summoning and such wont work?
Sucks, but is not gonna stop me enjoying the game :p

ced

Had a night to reflect on my first couple hours, stopped somewhere in the forest of giants.

It's awesome so far, can't really complain about anything.

anddo0

I will give you an example of things that are just there to make life harder on you...I paid 1,000 souls for the key to open the Blacksmiths shop and it cost me 700 souls to repair my Scimitar + 1...about 3 kills later,probably because I also banged it on a wall a few times killing something,it's fucking damaged again...also what can I put in the top center rectangle...? I am guessing magic but since I am a swordsman for now,I dont have any spells...how about the bombs...? as far as I can see I need to throw them through my open inventory...? or can I put it in said top slot(playing on 360)...

If I travel back to level up,will the ennemies be all back...also somekind of map would be useful,they could of added that...etc etc...

You're correct that slot is used for the magic abilities. It doesn't unlock until you level your ATN to 10.. As for bomb usage, they're considered consumables, so they would go in the bottom slot (equip them where you would put life gems, throwing knives etc..)

Enemies have a set re-spawn limit now (15?).. Once you reach that limit they're gone for your current playthrough.. In the Souls game, your brain is the map.. Go to an area and study it well. I think a map would greatly diminish so of the challenge.

Mana Sin

Is there an upper limit to how many orange messages you can put down? I have three up at the moment. I want to put down another, but I don't have the option to. I can still see and rate others.

AngryMoth

Is there an upper limit to how many orange messages you can put down? I have three up at the moment. I want to put down another, but I don't have the option to. I can still see and rate others.
Don't think so I've put down way more than 3, there's just some places where messages aren't allowed

pooptest

Took me a few tries but you just gotta jump. When I did get the jump I stripped out all my gear just to be sure, though it doesn't seem to make much of a difference at 0% and <70% of your equip burden? Must just be timing. Anyway, that treasure is crap, just souls IIRC. :\

Forget what was in it, but you can make the jump from there.

Thanks. I'll give it another go tonight. I hate leaving unopened treasures. Yeah, I even tried it naked and I didn't notice a difference between 54.3% to 0% encumbrance.

And for something that difficult to get to, at least include something nice instead of some souls :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom