• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has been answered already but did anyone else who purchased the PS3 regular ed, not get a manual either?

I know this isn't what you asked but I got the 360 CE and didn't have a manual. Do they only come in non-Black Armor Editions? Or only on PS3?

EDIT: Or they just don't exist at all. That sucks.

Hmmm kinda area spoilers

Both area seems I explored seem to have taken me to Lost Bastille area. I got like 5 bosses down I dont know if any of them count as one of the 4 boss I need to beat the game. Do all levels lead there? I think I can explore the Tower of Hilda more though.

So I randomly got summoned as a
"grey phantom"
last night to the area
with all the rats
and got ganked by the
host plus all the rat enemies
lol... Im not in any convenant, how did this happen? it was cool.

Kensuke

Finally invested enough points to dual wield a Falchion +5 and a Scimitar +5. It's stupidly reckless to dual wield, but I love it.

mattp

so does dropping a white summon sign and joining someone else's game
instantly restore you to human and give you the full hp bar back? i figured i would have to help the person beat the boss or something but i joined someone's game with a 50% hp bar and my hp bar/humanity was instantly restored upon entering the other person's game. if so...why would i ever burn a human effigy?

AngryMoth

I'm beginning to get concerned about the possible scarcity of basic upgrade items now enemies don't respawn infinitely and vendors have limited supplies to sell. Should I start conserving shards until I find the weapon I want to use for the rest of the game or will I eventually get access to plenty?

Vlade

Me too. The only solution is to browse GAF on my phone and live vicariously through the lucky ones.

Exactly what my plan is.

Game has been amazing so far, I'm 6 hours in (but an hour of that was character creation). Found 2 main bosses, and engaged in some jolly cooperation. Looking forward to a couple hundred more hours of this.

so does dropping a white summon sign and joining someone else's game
instantly restore you to human and give you the full hp bar back? i figured i would have to help the person beat the boss or something but i joined someone's game with a 50% hp bar and my hp bar/humanity was instantly restored upon entering the other person's game. if so...why would i ever burn a human effigy?

Noticed the same thing.
We didn't even beat the boss and I still returned to human. But then I tried it again instead of using an effigy and I came back still hollow... Someone answer please!

Sullichin

I'm beginning to get concerned about the possible scarcity of basic upgrade items now enemies don't respawn infinitely and vendors have limited supplies to sell. Should I start conserving shards until I find the weapon I want to use for the rest of the game or will I eventually get access to plenty?

There's some areas with good drop rates but yeah, they'll go away eventually...

I really wonder how you're supposed to farm for consumables for PVP. There's a ton of new consumable items, it would suck if you couldn't really use them much. Plus you need to be human to invade and i'm not exactly swimming in effigies.

(Boss from network test spoiler)
Does anyone know how to get the guy after the Chariot boss to talk to me? He says I won't like it here. I think he signs you up for the Darkwraith covenant. Maybe because I'm already on the bell covenant? Speaking of the bell covenant, is there a boss in that area or something I'm missing? Complete dead end.

MilkBeard

...Satisfaction.

I came into this game with a bit of overconfidence, as the first two hours are a bit easy. But at some point during the Forest of Fallen Giants the game started kicking my ass. But then I kept going, and kept working at it, picking away until I made it to the boss. He's not a terribly difficult boss, but it was challenging enough for a first boss.

Ha ha, the game handed me my ass on a plate and then I worked my way back up. And now, my opinion is changed. If it stays at this rate, I think this might possibly be the most challenging Souls game yet. I've been thinking about why that is, and it has a lot to do with how vulnerable you are with your animations. You are definitely more vulnerable in this game than you were in the previous Souls games and if you let down your guard for a second, even the scrubs will take you down.

Success came at just the right moment, just as a silver lining of hope in the darkness. Even with some minor disappointment with the presentation of the game (it runs a bit poorly), this game is still definitely Souls.

Imaging I'm still pretty early in the game as I haven't fought any bosses yet
though I did see that giant eagle fly by where it dropped a large floating silver knight that phased through the ground - I'm guessing that's the Pursuer?

Been dying much more than I expected, but it's probably because I went with Depraved. Thinking maybe that wasn't such a smart idea, but enjoying the challenge so far even if I'm progressing slowly.

Is it just me or do weapons break super quickly now? I've only been able to keep my dagger from being broken any longer than a few minutes...

[/QUOTE](Boss from network test spoiler)
Does anyone know how to get the guy after the Chariot boss to talk to me? He says I won't like it here. I think he signs you up for the Darkwraith covenant. Maybe because I'm already on the bell covenant? Speaking of the bell covenant, is there a boss in that area or something I'm missing? Complete dead end.
[/QUOTE]

You need to
invade and defeat a certain amount of people with cracked red eye orbs before hell let you join.

TheContact

on the level up screen, sometimes when adding stats there's an icon with an arrow pointing up and numbers beside it, what does that mean and why do the numbers turn red sometimes?

er if I had to guess it means how many shards to level up again?

MilkBeard

on the level up screen, sometimes when adding stats there's an icon with an arrow pointing up and numbers beside it, what does that mean and why do the numbers turn red sometimes?

I'm assuming that's the amount needed to level up, and it turns red which means you don't have enough to level. From what I remember is that it will turn red after you press the button to select which stat you want to level, which indicates that you won't have enough to level after you initiate that level up. Hard to explain but it was the same with Dark Souls, it's just represented slightly differently this time.

AngryMoth

Hearing about a lot of people finding (2nd boss)
the pursuer
tough is making me feel pretty smug for beating him 2nd try :D. Just listened to giant bomb's podcast thing and apparently Vinny was stuck on him for 3 hours lol! Got my ass kicked real bad though by the area straight after him.

Ultrabum

Noticed the same thing.
We didn't even beat the boss and I still returned to human. But then I tried it again instead of using an effigy and I came back still hollow... Someone answer please!

Same, and many gave reported this. Could be buggy servers, could be some trick or condition we don't know about.

Is this as good as DeS and DaS? I'm really fuckin sceptical about that lead director change and I don't trust reviews if my life depended on it.

mattp

also, can someone explain the torches to me? i feel like i'm missing something because there's pillars you can light all over the place but...what's the point?

is this stuff that was supposed to be dark and you had to light them in order to see but now that from yanked out the lighting tech there's leftover gameplay elements that are useless?
it sure feels that way

TheContact

I was farming souls at the cardinal tower and resetting at the bonfire till I got a bunch of souls, I leveled up but now the enemies aren't respawning here, do they stop spawning once you hit a certain level or something?

Shinjica

also, can someone explain the torches to me? i feel like i'm missing something because there's pillars you can light all over the place but...what's the point?

is this stuff that was supposed to be dark and you had to light them in order to see but now that from yanked out the lighting tech there's leftover gameplay elements that are useless?
it sure feels that way

If you mean the tutorial area, probably you're right. The zone was done with the use of torch in mind.

I was farming souls at the cardinal tower and resetting at the bonfire till I got a bunch of souls, I leveled up but now the enemies aren't respawning here, do they stop spawning once you hit a certain level or something?

they stop respawn when you kill them 10/15 times.

CHC

Is this as good as DeS and DaS? I'm really fuckin sceptical about that lead director change and I don't trust reviews if my life depended on it.

If you liked Demon's Souls and Dark Souls there is ABSOLUTELY no reason not to play this game. Don't let the whiners get you down, they are just the ones who are not actually playing it now. It's more of the same in the best way possible.

Ultrabum

If you liked Demon's Souls and Dark Souls there is ABSOLUTELY no reason not to play this game. Don't let the whiners get you down, they are just the ones who are not actually playing it now. It's more of the same in the best way possible.

Game has exceeded my expectations so far.

Shinjica

Didnt know you know every "whiners" on Neogaf. You possess the crystal ball?

I really enjoy it, but I'm barely a few hours in. It's a combination of DeS and DaS. It's its own Souls game for sure in terms of strategy and difficulty. Even with the supposed downgrades the scenery is still wonderful. I'd recommend it for any Souls fan.

They only respawn a limited amount of times to prevent grinding/farming. A new challenge for Souls players.

Grudy

What other paths are available after the second boss besides
the lost bastille and the place with giant knights?

mattp

im just gonna keep posting questions lol

in the forest of the giants
when that big griffin thing flies overhead, i'm assuming it dropped a big silver knight and i didn't notice because i was looking around and suddenly got smashed in the back with a sword. i jumped down off the roof real quick to escape from him and when i climbed back up to take him on he was gone. and hasn't returned. did i miss something important?

also, the sleeping knight guy next to that tree...i shouldn't have killed him should i? when it wasn't letting me talk to him i tried hitting him, figuring if he was an npc he wouldn't aggro from only 1 hit, but he did. so i killed him

CHC

Does anyone have any comparisons between the PS3 disc edition and the PSN edition? I'm wondering if the supposed bad framerate is better or worse on one?

NIN90

im just gonna keep posting questions lol

in the forest of the giants
when that big griffin thing flies overhead, i'm assuming it dropped a big silver knight and i didn't notice because i was looking around and suddenly got smashed in the back with a sword. i jumped down off the roof real quick to escape from him and when i climbed back up to take him on he was gone. and hasn't returned. did i miss something important?

No. Happens to everyone. Just keep playing.

Does anyone have any comparisons between the PS3 disc edition and the PSN edition? I'm wondering if the supposed bad framerate is better or worse on one?

FWIW framerate is pretty grungy for me on the PSN version. Probably closer to 25 than 30 most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom