• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingYOYO

Neo Member
I will give you an example of things that are just there to make life harder on you...I paid 1,000 souls for the key to open the Blacksmiths shop and it cost me 700 souls to repair my Scimitar + 1...about 3 kills later,probably because I also banged it on a wall a few times killing something,it's fucking damaged again...also what can I put in the top center rectangle...? I am guessing magic but since I am a swordsman for now,I dont have any spells...how about the bombs...? as far as I can see I need to throw them through my open inventory...? or can I put it in said top slot(playing on 360)...

If I travel back to level up,will the ennemies be all back...also somekind of map would be useful,they could of added that...etc etc...

It sounds like you might just be too casual.

Grudy

im just gonna keep posting questions lol

in the forest of the giants
when that big griffin thing flies overhead, i'm assuming it dropped a big silver knight and i didn't notice because i was looking around and suddenly got smashed in the back with a sword. i jumped down off the roof real quick to escape from him and when i climbed back up to take him on he was gone. and hasn't returned. did i miss something important?

I dunno if you get anything by killing him there but you'll face him again later

TheContact

when that big griffin thing flies overhead, i'm assuming it dropped a big silver knight and i didn't notice because i was looking around and suddenly got smashed in the back with a sword. i jumped down off the roof real quick to escape from him and when i climbed back up to take him on he was gone. and hasn't returned. did i miss something important?

also, the sleeping knight guy next to that tree...i shouldn't have killed him should i? when it wasn't letting me talk to him i tried hitting him, figuring if he was an npc he wouldn't aggro from only 1 hit, but he did. so i killed him

the first time you go up there
the bird drops a boss off, and he'll most likely proceed to murder you, and he doesn't come back again if you die you have to go to him

Garcia

also, the sleeping knight guy next to that tree...i shouldn't have killed him should i? when it wasn't letting me talk to him i tried hitting him, figuring if he was an npc he wouldn't aggro from only 1 hit, but he did. so i killed him

I've been wondering about this as well.

mattp

Noticed the same thing.
We didn't even beat the boss and I still returned to human. But then I tried it again instead of using an effigy and I came back still hollow... Someone answer please!

hmm..that is weird
i didnt try a second time to see if it worked again. i guess i will tonight

mattp

the first time you go up there
the bird drops a boss off, and he'll most likely proceed to murder you, and he doesn't come back again if you die you have to go to him

well i didnt die. i just ran off the the roof thing where he is and when i turned around and climbed back up after healing, he just wasn't there. i thought maybe it was a glitch

Gritesh

So I got to play it last night, took the knight class although I think I might restart today and do Cleric. I always play the knight in Souls games, thinking its time for a change, either sorcerer cleric or bandit.

Anyways, while its a Souls game and I love it, it looks like crap. And it seems to be running like crap too. I don't know any of the technical details of what the game is running at for FPS but I swear its struggling to keep at 30 in open areas...

Anyways can't wait to get home tonight and play it, I only got like 2 hours with it last night.

also, can someone explain the torches to me? i feel like i'm missing something because there's pillars you can light all over the place but...what's the point?

is this stuff that was supposed to be dark and you had to light them in order to see but now that from yanked out the lighting tech there's leftover gameplay elements that are useless?
it sure feels that way

yeah it definetly left over at this point. I made it ALL the way to the bottom of the hole in Majula. The area way down there was made for torches for sure, but not entirely necessary anymore. If you havnt been there you will see what I mean.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Asking again, because maybe you guys didnt see the question :p

Any item/ring that prevents/helps armor breaking?

Not that ive seen so far... and I like my rings. Your gear automatically repairs when u sit at a bonfire. So I try to hit a bonfire when my weapon is less than 50%

If you liked Demon's Souls and Dark Souls there is ABSOLUTELY no reason not to play this game. Don't let the whiners get you down, they are just the ones who are not actually playing it now. It's more of the same in the best way possible.

I agree!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Not that ive seen so far... and I like my rings. Your gear automatically repairs when u sit at a bonfire. So I try to hit a bonfire when my weapon is less than 50%

Yeah, I love rings too, but I havent seen that anywhere yet.

I saw something in a load screen about a ring that reduces equipment degradation by a percent. So there is something out there I just can't remember the name.

If you liked Demon's Souls and Dark Souls there is ABSOLUTELY no reason not to play this game. Don't let the whiners get you down, they are just the ones who are not actually playing it now. It's more of the same in the best way possible.

If he liked Demon's Souls more than Dark Souls, he should definitely give it an try.

Anyways, while its a Souls game and I love it, it looks like crap. And it seems to be running like crap too. I don't know any of the technical details of what the game is running at for FPS but I swear its struggling to keep at 30 in open areas...
Yeah, as someone who's having a blast with the game I got to say it performs like crap. Haven't run into anything Blighttown-tier yet but when the whole game so far has been close to that it's hard to make the distinction. Also a lot of input lag in the menus. I can push the start button and the menu won't pop up for a good 5 seconds. Hope some of this can be patched out.

Dresden

Weapons just degrade too fast. Keeping backup weapons upgraded is a huge pain unless you plan it out, due to limited titanite shards early on.

Toma

I saw something in a load screen about a ring that reduces equipment degradation by a percent. So there is something out there I just can't remember the name.

Damn. Oh well, hopefully I'll see that loading screen at one point :p

ironcreed

Banned
...Satisfaction.

Ha ha, the game handed me my ass on a plate and then I worked my way back up. And now, my opinion is changed. If it stays at this rate, I think this might possibly be the most challenging Souls game yet. I've been thinking about why that is, and it has a lot to do with how vulnerable you are with your animations. You are definitely more vulnerable in this game than you were in the previous Souls games and if you let down your guard for a second, even the scrubs will take you down.

So true. Even the new Hollow Soldiers have been ramped up and are far more deadly. There are also some enemies that bum rush and take advantage of you being locked-on and stamina management feels more strict as well. At least in the early going. Overall, I'm finding the early part of the game far more challenging than Undead Burg and The Depths were in the first one.

OrigiNull

Once enemies start to disappear around the bonfire is there any way to make them start spawning again or are they gone for that playthrough?

So I made my way to the forest of the giants, met the merchant, made it to an area that had woodplatforms, etc all over and in that area met the map dude. Is there another path I'm missing besides the area with the fire down below? I can't seem to open those doors in that area. Just wondering if I need to head back to town and go a different way.

Protocol7

Anyone knows if you can play with EU players if you own a US copy?

Tried to look for the info but wasn't successful finding something... ^^;

Wish the PC version was online compatible with consoles version, would solve my hesitation /sigh

mattp

Weapons just degrade too fast. Keeping backup weapons upgraded is a huge pain unless you plan it out, due to limited titanite shards early on.

yeah i don't know how i feel about it yet
seems like from is trying to force people to carry more weapons by having them degrade faster and giving you 3 quick slots per hand
but then that means we're running around with 2 or 3 mediocre weapons instead of 1 great one since we have to split our upgrades across more weapons

i dont think i like it

So true. Even the new Hollow Soldiers have been ramped up and are far more deadly. There are also some enemies that bum rush and take advantage of you being locked-on and stamina management feels more strict as well. At least in the early going.Overall, I'm finding the early part of the game far more challenging than Undead Burg and The Depths were in the first one.

Yeah, I feel like the Hollow Soldiers in this game aren't quite analogs of the Hollow Soldiers from the first game. They're more like Balder Knights than anything.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
They only respawn a limited amount of times to prevent grinding/farming. A new challenge for Souls players.

I've not played it yet, but this sounds interesting. Where Souls were essentially on tap in DaS and easy to come by given enough time and skill, this seems to add value by limiting them?

Does it makes you spend them less frivolously and feel even worse when you die on a return trip to your last death stash?

Vlade

YES.

I had a weapon go risky on me while a white phantom in a boss fight - so I was just stuck messing with eq during the fight.

I guess repair powder is a thing i need to have and manage now?

Brohan

Agreed, and it doesn't really make the game any harder it's only a nuisance.

Other than that, i'm having a blast.

Wish EU servers were online though, guess i'll make a new character when they are.

Sullichin

Anyone knows if you can play with EU players if you own a US copy?

Tried to look for the info but wasn't successful finding something... ^^;

Wish the PC version was online compatible with consoles version, would solve my hesitation /sigh

Yeah, but cross region play has to be on in game options. It's on by default.

Grisby

So...in they very beginning of the forest level there is a
dude sitting down by a tree. I like his armor and am plotting murder.
Bad idea?

So I met the map guy in the forest of giants and got a key to the mansion in Majula. Inside the mansion
I found an item called Pharrod's Charm
, but I can't find it in my inventory at all. Am I missing something here?

Bad idea?

Get a weapon better than your starter weapon before fighting him. He's not hard, but has poise unlike all the hollow soldiers

Niahak

Damn. Oh well, hopefully I'll see that loading screen at one point :p

I saw that loading screen too, pretty sure the name includes "knuckle ring" (which might be specific enough you could look into it on a FAQ/wiki without too many spoilers).

Haven't had the issues with equipment degradation, but I'm sure I'll run into it if I do more hand-to-hand combat. Knife seems to have decent durability.

Jb

Any tips for the boss fight agains the 3
ruin sentinels? I can deal with the 1st one just fine, but when the 2 others gang up on me their attacks do so much damage and have so much range I can't chip away at either of them without inevitably getting killed

Are there still cool equipment drops from enemies?

I always loved getting sweet loot that you can see in action before ya get it.

Loot was so fun to get in Dark Souls

I pre ordered this well over a month ago, but Amazon hasn't shipped my order yet. The last time I pre ordered a game from Amazon, it took them ten days just to ship it to me, and even then it was because I had sent multiple complaints. I've been pre ordering games from Amazon for years, and rarely had any issues at all, until last time. Anybody else have Amazon ship their order yet?

Ourobolus

Banned
Bad idea?

If you haven't already, I recommend getting the 90% block shield from the armorer for that fight. Dude can do tons of damage and has lots of poise.

Celegus

Actually managed to defeat my first invader, got him down to barely any health, he hid behind an enemy (one of those huge knights in Heides' Tower) and healed, I killed the enemy while evading the phantom, and took him out too. Felt good, but I still really hate getting invaded. Need to find the covenant that will protect me from that.

NIN90

So I met the map guy in the forest of giants and got a key to the mansion in Majula. Inside the mansion
I found an item called Pharrod's Charm
, but I can't find it in my inventory at all. Am I missing something here?

Should be in your consumables tab. Icon looks similar to the embers.

ultron87

The stun you get for hitting an enemy's shield is really brutal. This led to me having trouble even against normal dudes at points, until I realized you can do a guard break thing with the old kick command.

I spent a lot of deaths going in a direction that ended up as a dead end so now I'm challenging a new area starting at half health. That kinda stinks. I should probably just use an effigy, but I'm a miser for using items. So we'll see how long that lasts me.

The dead end (Forest of Giants)
was the dark area with all the Turtle knights that leads to an area with several pairs of the turtle guys. It was rough. It got me a bonfire but I can't find a way to progress past that. I'm guessing I'll eventually get something I can use to interact with the sleeping giant tree. Unless I'm missing something?

Indrew

Neo Member
Just another positive vote for this game. I love it.

I thought I had gotten pretty good by the end of DS1, but I now suck again. Awesome!

Grudy

From the way you guys are talking I think I missed something in the forest. Is there another way to progress there after killing the second boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom