• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Actually managed to defeat my first invader, got him down to barely any health, he hid behind an enemy (one of those huge knights in Heides' Tower) and healed, I killed the enemy while evading the phantom, and took him out too. Felt good, but I still really hate getting invaded. Need to find the covenant that will protect me from that.

that reminds me, I really wish I'd taken the seed as my starting gift. It's supposed to make enemies hostile to invaders, as well.

-Ryn

Banned
Actually managed to defeat my first invader, got him down to barely any health, he hid behind an enemy (one of those huge knights in Heides' Tower) and healed, I killed the enemy while evading the phantom, and took him out too. Felt good, but I still really hate getting invaded. Need to find the covenant that will protect me from that.
Well as far as I know there are two ways you can go about it.

You can either join the covenant by
talking to the dude next to tower in Majula that counts your deaths. It summons blue sentinels when you get invaded
or you can burn a human effigy which
reduces the chances of in invasion but also the chances of summoning

that reminds me, I really wish I'd taken the seed as my starting gift. It's supposed to make enemies hostile to invaders, as well.
I picked the weird cracked thing that does something ambiguous. Not a clue what to do with it.

Uh oh. The merchant "old hag" sitting beside the bonfire above TLG boss is now gone... Where did she go? U checked Majula already and she's not there, I need the effigy she's selling, damnit.

Just another positive vote for this game. I love it. .

Same here and ive only played for an hour!

Started off as a deprived using nothing but my bare hands! Best way for an experienced player to start though I am glad I doubled back to the tutorial area to secure my first weapon lol

Garcia

What sorcery is this!?

I placed a summon sign and 5 seconds later I was already helping out another guy. This is a first for me. Feels good. :O

NIN90

Forest of Giants:
I keep hearing about an area with turtle knights. I think I missed that area. I defeated the Pursuer but from there I can only progress to the Bastille.
So how can I get there?

georly

So has anyone figured out how to get humanity back without using an effigy?

I helped a bunch of people and never had humanity restored (but i had also just died a lot).

I made a new character, died once, helped someone (until time ran out) and then was human when i came back to my world. Does helping someone (until you get one of the item things) restore ONE death? Is that's what is going on? So if you have the 50%, you have to help like 10 people before you're fully restored?

Also: Is there an enemy that you can farm for effigies?

NIN90

I helped a bunch of people and never had humanity restored (but i had also just died a lot).

I made a new character, died once, helped someone (until time ran out) and then was human when i came back to my world. Does helping someone (until you get one of the item things) restore ONE death? Is that's what is going on? So if you have the 50%, you have to help like 10 people before you're fully restored?

You always regain Humanity when you defeat a boss while summoned.

Farooq

Banned
I posted in this thread that the breakpoint of Agility (via ADP) is at 38. A video I posted and the wiki confirms this information. From the streams people gathered that there seemed to be diminishing returns from Level 20 ADP upwards.

Was that misinformation? What is the difference between 20 ADP and 38 ADP?

Oni3298

I can confirm this isn't the case. I was at 50% health, full hollow, and helped someone with the last giant. He died and I was sent back and was human again.

Forest of Giants:
I keep hearing about an area with turtle knights. I think I missed that area. I defeated the Pursuer but from there I can only progress to the Bastille.
So how can I get there?

That elevator just below the bonfire in there? Take that elevator, it will take you to the hallway that has a fog wall. That fog wall has the boss that will drop the soldiers key, that key will open the area with turtles.

This key can be used on multiple doors that are locked around this area.

NIN90

I posted in this thread that the breakpoint of Agility (via ADP) is at 38. A video I posted and the wiki confirms this information. From the streams people gathered that there seemed to be diminishing returns from Level 20 ADP upwards.

Was that misinformation? What is the difference between 20 ADP and 38 ADP?

Mind posting the wiki link?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Anyone know why when I am summoned I get a "Duty Fulfilled" and I'm returned back to my world before I even helped out that much?

Vlade

What sorcery is this!?

I placed a summon sign and 5 seconds later I was already helping out another guy. This is a first for me. Feels good. :O

yeah, its a crazy scramble to summon ppl. everyone is summoned so fast!
getting summoned is sooo easy. im loving this update most of all.

Fhtagn

Forest of Giants:
So how can I get there?

Did you fight a named boss? What did that boss drop? Have you found anything that would use it?

explicit answer:
The Last Giant drops a key, use the key on the doors that were locked.

Ultrabum

This is not true. I have beaten many bosses and not turned human after returning. I have also been returned to human as well. Really curious if there is a condition or if the servers are just buggy.

gdt

The stun you get for hitting an enemy's shield is really brutal. This led to me having trouble even against normal dudes at points, until I realized you can do a guard break thing with the old kick command.

I spent a lot of deaths going in a direction that ended up as a dead end so now I'm challenging a new area starting at half health. That kinda stinks. I should probably just use an effigy, but I'm a miser for using items. So we'll see how long that lasts me.

The dead end (Forest of Giants)
was the dark area with all the Turtle knights that leads to an area with several pairs of the turtle guys. It was rough. It got me a bonfire but I can't find a way to progress past that. I'm guessing I'll eventually get something I can use to interact with the sleeping giant tree. Unless I'm missing something?

Dead end for me too. Left it for later.

NIN90

That elevator just below the bonfire in there? Take that elevator, it will take you to the hallway that has a fog wall. That fog wall has the boss that will drop the soldiers key, that you will need to open the area with turtles.

Yeah I already got the key but where do I find the door for it? I think I used this particular key on 2 doors already.

georly

But that's not true at all. I wish i had somehow documented or recorded that, because I helped people kill
that boss on the ghost ship with 2 bodies
about 5 times and was STILL hollow after all those wins. I made like 50k+ souls in the process, which was nice, but i had to use an effigy so that i could fight it and summon people. I'll try it again tonight, but i'm 99.9% sure that my humanity was *NOT* restored upon helping people kill a boss. I wonder what's different. Maybe only certain bosses? Was it because i was wearing the
ring of binding (or whatever it's called)
?

Oni3298

There are a few doors, two of which are in the section when you take the ladder down from the second bonfire in the forest of fallen giants. One of those doors takes you to the turtle guards.

ultron87

Yeah I already got the key but where do I find the door for it? I think I used this particular key for 2 doors already.

(Forest of Giants)
From the Hag bonfire: go down the ladder, take the door on the left, and then open the locked door on the right. You'll go down a semi-dark stair case.

Yeah I already got the key but where do I find the door for it? I think I used this particular key for 2 doors already.
Go down that bonfire ladder. Go left, when facing the ladder. There is a hole in the wall, enter it. Just walk straight, down a stairs and you will see the door that leads you to those turtles.

My ass is getting kicked on that area lol.

Bring a torch too.

Sendero

rubbish item
how can i give items to snuggly? i drop the items into the nest and nothing happens.
He apparently only accept 2 items now:
Smooth & Silky Stone (normal and small), and the Petrified something gift. And what you receive is randomized. Although the gift does guarantee you a better drop

Something important for everyone regarding dropping/discarding items:

Leave = drop the item on the floor
Discard = destroy it forever

Just a head's up.

Sephzilla

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the art style in this game. Something is throwing it off for me. I think it's because all of the more metallic things in Dark Souls 1 had a decent shine to it, whereas in DS2 that seems gone and it makes everything look more drab.

J-Rod

Uh oh. The merchant "old hag" sitting beside the bonfire above TLG boss is now gone... Where did she go? U checked Majula already and she's not there, I need the effigy she's selling, damnit.

She should be in majula near the stone wall by the entrance to the forest. She is not far from the majula bonfire.

Does the
cartographer
ever show up majula? He says he is headed back soon when you talk to him, but I haven't seem him anywhere.

ultron87

Dead end for me too. Left it for later.

Some designer at From must've felt an unexplained tingle of joy as I was frantically running around that area looking for something, anything, that would've made the pain it took to get there worth it at the time.

Really getting into the game now, but one thing is irking me: I started as a knight, but didn't get any of the gear it said I was supposed to get in the wiki. Where's my broadsword?

Garcia

Seriously, I'm enjoying being summoned way too much. I've already fulfilled 2 duties at the Forest of Giants.

Shame about the painful loading times. They really break the flow of the action.

gdt

Some designer at From must've felt an unexplained tingle of joy as I was frantically running around that area looking for something, anything, that would've made the pain it took to get there worth it at the time.

You can see a walkway above the tree but no clue how to get there.

BigAT

So is there any sort of consensus yet on which console version is better? Also, is there any sort of interaction with your friends list this time around or is it just like the previous two games in that regard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom