• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel

The one server structure makes farming souls via being summoned in absolutely ridiculous. You can net 40k+ easily with a few
Ruin Sentinel/Last Sinner
battles.

The screen tearing in the 360 version isn't very noticeable to me unless I'm in a brightly lit area. The frame rate is pretty solid.

On the PS3 I haven't noticed many frame issues either, but I admittedly tend not to notice framerate differences unless it's buttery smooth or blighttown levels of bad.

I think both versions are fairly solid, it's just a matter of personal preference. Definitely less issues for me than either console version of DaS1.

Maybesew

Has anyone messed with dual wielding spears? I found 2 winged spears and am going to give it a shot but I've needed a ton of stat raises to get the STR and DEX required for power stance.

Odrion

Banned
The 360 version of the game is sitting at 92 metacritic while the PS3 version is sitting at 90, so I'm not sure exactly why other than maybe higher framerate with tearing trumps sub-30 framerates with no tearing. I'm never going to pay for Gold again though, so that option is gone for me.
Maybe look at where the scores came from?

ironcreed

Banned
My collector's edition guide is out for delivery. I only ever buy guides when they are really nice like this one or just for games that I feel are special. But I'm thinking it is actually going to come in handy this time with all of the little nuances and changes.

On a side note, this is definitely feeling like it has gone back to more of Demon's Souls design in terms of the world progression. Yet it is bigger than either Demon's or Dark Souls I, while maintaining that same interlinking, shortcut unlocking path discovery design. As a result, it feels more wonderfully daunting than ever.

sappyday

I said fuck you to
Forest of Fallen Giants
and headed to
Hiede's Tower of Flame.
Was able to defeat
Dragonrider
the second try. Reached
No Man's Wharf.
Is this place the Blighttown of this game?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's hard to explain. There is a lot more commitment to your animations, rolling gets fucked up a lot more due to invincibility frames being removed or shortened. It is a lot more punishing now in my opinion.

Crumbs. Do you think you'll get used to it?

Has anyone messed with dual wielding spears? I found 2 winged spears and am going to give it a shot but I've needed a ton of stat raises to get the STR and DEX required for power stance.

I desperately want to duel wield Halberds. Preferably, BKHs if they're in the game. :)

I went back to the tutorial area and
I found a coffin that I can get into. When I do the game starts loading and then I just pop out of the coffin again.
Is there something I'm missing?

Odrion

Banned
The 360 version of the game is sitting at 92 metacritic while the PS3 version is sitting at 90, so I'm not sure exactly why other than maybe higher framerate with tearing trumps sub-30 framerates with no tearing. I'm never going to pay for Gold again though, so that option is gone for me.
JeuxActu gave it a 7/10 and I guess their review only counts for the PS3.

Maybesew

I said fuck you to
Forest of Fallen Giants
and headed to
Hiede's Tower of Flame.
Was able to defeat
Dragonrider
the second try. Reached
No Man's Wharf.

Not really. I think I found the blight town of the game last night and it's called
THE GUTTER

Sullichin

Not really. I think I found the blight town of the game last night and it's called
THE GUTTER

I would agree with this. It's got some of the trademarks.. but it's also a mix of
tomb of the giants

Can't find my way to the boss/where to go from the first bonfire though!

Marcel

I said fuck you to
Forest of Fallen Giants
and headed to
Hiede's Tower of Flame.
Was able to defeat
Dragonrider
the second try. Reached
No Man's Wharf.

It's more like the pier areas of Valley of Defilement from Demon's Souls, albeit a lot easier to navigate.

ironcreed

Banned
It's not very often a game exceeds my already high expectations. No hyperbole, either. It's like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls came together and this is their god child.

Garcia

Hey guys, was summoning this effective when the original Dark Souls got released?

Because right now it works really well. I haven't seen any lag when co-oping (1 player + 2 phantoms simultaneously).

Sullichin

Man, I love that you can get invaded in areas you've already beaten the boss.

I'm still not having any luck getting summoned though. I'm trying a bunch of areas at SL92.

Hey guys, was summoning this effective when the original Dark Souls got released?

Because right now it works really well. I haven't seen any lag when co-oping (1 player + 2 phantoms simultaneously).

No. Dark Souls is P2P and this uses servers.

I went back go the beginning of the forest area and I'm staring at the knight sleeping under the tree. I can't decide if I should kill him or if he pops up again later or needed for something.

xPhinehas

So I've been playing for about 2 hours (At work right now -_-) but when/how do you get to place your summon signature down? Also haven't fought first boss yet.

Birathen

If I remember correctly atleast I had a real hard time getting summoned and summons failed moost of the time.

Marcel

Keep in mind that Dark Souls' online features were completely broken when the game first came out. That said, every boss mist door in Dark Souls II has at least 3-4 summon signs, and I get summoned for bosses within at least 2-3 minutes.

JeTmAn81

The Knight starts with some kind of sword, whether it's a broadsword I'm not sure, it might be.

I'm playing a knight and started with a broadsword. I picked up a dagger later. So, not sure where that guy's broadsword went! Unlucky. Maybe it's just not equipped?

Foffy

Banned
I have yet to get the game, but I have one simple question; based on atmosphere, what game is this closest to? I'm getting some serious Dark Souls + King's Field III vibes from many of the locations, and I love me some King's Field.

Marcel

So I've been playing for about 2 hours (At work right now -_-) but when/how do you get to place your summon signature down? Also haven't fought first boss yet.

You should have a miniature white soapstone in your inventory and you will get the regular one from an NPC later.

Marcel

I have yet to get the game, but I have one simple question; based on atmosphere, what game is this closest to? I'm getting some serious Dark Souls + King's Field III vibes from many of the locations, and I love me some King's Field.

Many people are saying it's Dark Souls and Demon's Souls put together. I'd say that's accurate.

Grinchy

Banned
Found this video on youtube: Dark Souls II - How to Dual Wield (no spoilers!)

With power stance, L1 attack does ~20% and L2 attack does ~100% more damage compared to L1 and L2 attacks without power stance.

Damn. I bought/upgraded the falchion early on which I had used for a long time before I understood the power stance stat requirement. I didn't realize how much damage I was missing out on. I guess I'll have to go buy/upgrade some lesser stat required weapons to properly dual wield until I can come back to curved swords.

Currently sitting around
helping people with old dragonslayer
but I never see signs for me to summon. Is being in the
blue covenant
reduce the number of summoning signs you get or something?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
how do you write messages or do I need to buy an item that I missed?

I'm at the point where you fight dogs and
mummies

also where did the old lady merchant move to ?

At 6 deaths so far with cliffs being the number one enemy lol

Maulik

So if the enemy respawns are finite, does that mean it is possible that you could leave an area and not gain any souls from it? Obviously this presumes you die a lot without RETRIEVAL! but this could have a profound impact on making sure you are appropriately leveled? Am I way off in thinking this?

Facism

Sex-Change Coffin
would be a great band name

QUICKFIRE ROUND FOR PEOPLE PLAYING:

Is this more Darks Souls or Demon's Souls? by god i'll pick up the ps3 version on friday if it's the latter.

Marcel

Sex-Change Coffin

Is this more Darks Souls or Demon's Souls? by god i'll pick up the ps3 version on friday if it's the latter.

A little from Column A, a little from Column B. It's definitely worth buying if you liked Demon's Souls, that's for sure.

TheExodu5

Banned
Does adaptability really make that much of a difference? My adaptability is at 3 and even putting in 10 additional points ups my agility a negligible amount. Doesn't seem worth upping it to 38 when I could dump that into STR or DEX with the improved scaling.

Oni3298

Sex-Change Coffin

Combo of both I would say, as most others have noted.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Sex-Change Coffin

to be honest so far it feels like a mix of the two with a pinch a dragons dogma .

Marcel

Does adaptability really make that much of a difference? My adaptability is at 3 and even putting in 10 additional points ups my agility a negligible amount. Doesn't seem worth upping it to 38 when I could dump that into STR or DEX with the improved scaling.

Unless you're going to do a build focused around Poise, it's probably not worth your time.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Bosses Cleared:
The Last Giant,Pursuer, Dragon Rider, Old Dragonslayer, Flexile Sentry, Ruin Sentinels, The Lost Sinner

Currently working on:
Ghost Chariot and Skeleton Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom