• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

So is there any sort of consensus yet on which console version is better? Also, is there any sort of interaction with your friends list this time around or is it just like the previous two games in that regard?

PS3: Unstable framerate (always moving between the lower and upper 20s).
X360: Better framerate at the expense of having constant screen tearing.

Your choice :(

Oni3298

So is there any sort of consensus yet on which console version is better? Also, is there any sort of interaction with your friends list this time around or is it just like the previous two games in that regard?

I think the consensus is 360 if you can deal with screen tearing for slightly better FPS, and PS3 for no screen tearing and worse FPS.

Sephzilla

PS3: Unstable framerate.
X360: Better framerate at the xpense of having constant screen tearing.

Your choice :(

I've been playing the PS3 version and honestly the framerate hasn't bothered me a bit yet. It doesn't seem any worse (or better) than Dark Souls.

I'm hoping there is eventually an item that only allows Summon Signs from your friend list to appear to you, but I'm not really optimistic. Its still a crapshoot.

Garcia

I've been playing the PS3 version and honestly the framerate hasn't bothered me a bit yet. It doesn't seem any worse (or better) than Dark Souls.

It doesn't make the game unplayable by any means but it is quite distracting and confusing when panning around the camera. I never ran into this problem on Dark Souls, it never felt jumpy or as chaotic as this one.

Nintyb

Banned
I think the consensus is 360 if you can deal with screen tearing for slightly better FPS, and PS3 for no screen tearing and worse FPS.

The screen tearing in the 360 version isn't very noticeable to me unless I'm in a brightly lit area. The frame rate is pretty solid.

oracrest

I am bleary eyed from staying up late playing this last night. I am four bosses in so far:
The Dragon Rider, The Hovering Knight guy, Last Giant, and the three Iron knights.

So far I am really loving it.

I usually want to figure everything out firsthand, but
where do I find the item used for laying down summon signs? I feel like I just missed it randomly while playing :/

Sephzilla

It doesn't make the game unplayable by any means but it is quite distracting and confusing when panning around the camera. I never ran into this problem on Dark Souls, it never felt jumpy or as chaotic as this one.

Again, for me, I haven't been bugged by it yet. I dunno, I'm not a framerate junkie by any stretch of the imagination but I kind of think the FPS difference is being a little blown out of proportion.

DF said that PS3 version runs sub-30 fps, but I can distinctly can tell there are moments when the framerate goes above 30fps unless my mind is playing tricks on me.

Etaber

But that's not true at all. I wish i had somehow documented or recorded that, because I helped people kill
that boss on the ghost ship with 2 bodies
about 5 times and was STILL hollow after all those wins. I made like 50k+ souls in the process, which was nice, but i had to use an effigy so that i could fight it and summon people. I'll try it again tonight, but i'm 99.9% sure that my humanity was *NOT* restored upon helping people kill a boss. I wonder what's different. Maybe only certain bosses? Was it because i was wearing the
ring of binding (or whatever it's called)
?

I was summoned for the
Last Giant
and also didn't get my humanity back. It's probably a long shot but I also had the item you mention. Anyone else notice a relationship between that item and getting humanity back?

[NaK]

is it just me or does this game expect you to fight way more enemies at once? I just got jumped in
Lost Bastille

I've been having trouble with this part all day.
When entering the Bastille from the tower, you have to fight at least 3 different groups with 2-3 in each before the boss. I've died more here than anywhere in the game so far.

I also had some problems early on in the
Forest of fallen giants, in the area next to Pate, or the room with all the balistas
. Most enemies in this game is easy one on one, but damn it gets hard if they team up.

I have a question to those who bought the Black Armour Edition:

Are you using the Black Armour items and do you think that they have an imbalancing effect on the gameplay?
I didn't want to use any of the items, I just stored them for later and never touched them. I wanted to experience the beginning of the game as it was meant to be played.

Sullichin

So, some of these Pharroh's lockstones straight up do anything right? I've wasted like 5 of them.

Currently stuck in (late game area)
Upper Gutter. I can't seem to find my way to the boss.
I only have 6 estus (+4), I feel like I definitely missed at least one shard. Healing items haven't been dropping at all.

In what way...?

DISCLOSURE: I've not played it.
It's hard to explain. There is a lot more commitment to your animations, rolling gets fucked up a lot more due to invincibility frames being removed or shortened. It is a lot more punishing now in my opinion.

Do you not become human after being summoned and beating a boss if you already killed that boss? Or is there something wrong with the network that I'm not becoming human again?

isual

how do you get to huntsmans corpse ?

Are you using the Black Armour items and do you think that they have an imbalancing effect on the gameplay?

i used them, but only the yellow shield and sword. You'll get better weapons later. Shield wise, a tower shield bought from the merchant is better.

Nintyb

Banned

I'm playing a Knight and using one of the shields. The weapons don't seem all that great. It's definitely not making the game any easier heh.

BigDug13

The 360 version of the game is sitting at 92 metacritic while the PS3 version is sitting at 90, so I'm not sure exactly why other than maybe higher framerate with tearing trumps sub-30 framerates with no tearing. I'm never going to pay for Gold again though, so that option is gone for me.

stupei

Again, for me, I haven't been bugged by it yet. I dunno, I'm not a framerate junkie by any stretch of the imagination but I kind of think the FPS difference is being a little blown out of proportion.

In areas with a lot of enemies, it can be a big problem.

Personally the frame rate is my only complaint about the game so far, but it's a legitimate one. Probably the same for a lot of people, so that's why you see it brought up so often and might get the (mistaken) perception that it's being exaggerated. It's an issue and I'd like to see it fixed -- in, dare I say it, a next gen port along with PC -- but not game ruining.

Ugh, this is a Dark Souls choice if ever there were one...

Take controller preference into account as well. On PS3 it works with a wired DS4. Personally prefer dual shock L1 and R1 to 360's bumpers for Souls games, but like I said: personal preference.

BigAT

The 360 version of the game is sitting at 92 metacritic while the PS3 version is sitting at 90, so I'm not sure exactly why other than maybe higher framerate with tearing trumps sub-30 framerates with no tearing. I'm never going to pay for Gold again though, so that option is gone for me.

Didn't even consider that. My Gold subscription recently lapsed, do you need it for Dark Souls?

georly

I was summoned for the
Last Giant
and also didn't get my humanity back. It's probably a long shot but I also had the item you mention. Anyone else notice a relationship between that item and getting humanity back?

Woo, so i'm not going crazy! Ok! Maybe it's the item. Anyone wanna test it?

Equip the
Ring of binding, the one that prevents you from going below 75% health
and go defeat a boss and see if you get your humanity back.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmm. OverallI feel DSII has a stronger intro and opening level, if we're comparing the Undead Asylum/Firelink Shrine/Undead Burg to Places Betwixt/Majula/Forest of Fallen Giants. Giving From major props that they managed to make level design even better in a game where you can teleport right off the bat. I still feel great when I find a new shortcut. Of all the reservations I had going into the game, teleportation is something that no longer bothers me.

Negatives? The biggest one is definitely enemy extinction. Not because it makes the game easier - if I keep beating the same enemies over and over again clearly they're not the one's challenging me. It's the fact that souls are now a largely finite resource, which is making me really edgy when it comes to spending them. I loved being able to tell new players in Demon's and Dark that "souls don't matter, if you lose some don't let it stress you out, just keep throwing yourself at a problem until you solve it". Can't say that any more. You lose those souls, there's no guarantee that you'll ever earn them back without counting on getting summoned or doing PVP. On top of that you have the HP reduction system back in place from Demon's, albeit in a much more forgiving form, and the game is basically telling you that you better damn well know what you're doing before you use a Human Effigy (which are probably also finite).

Better or worse? Well my negative paragraph is longer than the positive one, but don't let that reflect my stance on the game. That's a decision I'll just have to make when I'm finished.

Well it feels more "free" then before, but in terms level design doesn't feel as "synced" together as ds1 was, where everything and anything was linked together to the point you were like "whaaaaaat"

It's a lot of trade offs for a more "accessible" route this time around. It's not bad but weird. It's too early to really give a good impression
Thanks people. Most likely not buying this on Friday.

Woo, so i'm not going crazy! Ok! Maybe it's the item. Anyone wanna test it?

Equip the
Ring of binding, the one that prevents you from going below 75% health
and go defeat a boss and see if you get your humanity back.
I don't think the ring has anything to do with it. The second time I was summoned and killed the boss my humanity was restored. It might have something to do with your level compared to the player spawning you or something?

[NaK]

I can't for the life of me remember how to get back to that foggy
forest area that had invisible enemies in it.

Asuming you opened this path from Majula, by saving the pyromancer that was turned into stone:
From Majula, walk upp towards the Things Betwixed and take the tunnel with all the tree roots on the roof instead.

Took me a while to get going since I choose Deprived. But I finally beat my first boss and I feel like I am rollin now!

BTW. Playing on PS3 and the frame rate seems fine. No worse than any other PS3 souls game. But there is some werid pop in and distant item rendering issues sometimes. I wonder if this is because I am playing the DL version.

Still not fully used to the new animations yet even though I have tons of souls experience . Not going to try to say it is better or worse till I play more though.

dalVlatko

If you guys haven't already, try putting down your summon sign at the second bonfire in the Forest of Giants. I've been helping out people who have no idea what they are doing and it is really fun. I'm stuck at a boss so showing people through an area I've pretty much mastered is a nice change of pace.

I played the first Dark Souls late after its release so I never had much of chance to try out the summoning.

georly

I don't think the ring has anything to do with it. The second time I was summoned and killed the boss my humanity was restored. It might have something to do with your level compared to the player spawning you or something?

I might have been a tad overleveled for
the wharf area
. I was about lvl 40ish? I really don't know. If anyone can figure out why my humanity wasnt restored, let me know :(

Sullichin

I might have been a tad overleveled for
the wharf area
. I was about lvl 40ish? I really don't know. If anyone can figure out why my humanity wasnt restored, let me know :(

Does it have something to do with using the regular soapstone vs the small one? They have different item descriptions about rewards.

nynt9

People who say the torch is useless hasn't been to enough areas yet. Its a good strategy in certain areas

I need a new one don't know where to find. Any idea guys?

I've been told that certain creepy monsters in a certain underground area (
No Man's Wharf
) actually
fear the light
so torches are useful, supposedly. Haven't gotten around to trying this myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom