• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

phierce

Sex-Change Coffin
would be a great band name

QUICKFIRE ROUND FOR PEOPLE PLAYING:

Is this more Darks Souls or Demon's Souls? by god i'll pick up the ps3 version on friday if it's the latter.
Go ahead and plan your Friday around picking this game up then.

Marcel

Yo. I'm at the 3 sentinels farming.

Hope I see you guys !

I was doing the same earlier. It's probably easier to farm the
Last Sinner
in all honesty. 50% of my
Sentinel
runs end when the host wipes out on the first one.

isual

I was doing the same earlier. It's probably easier to farm the
Last Sinner
in all honesty. 50% of my
Sentinel
runs end when the host wipes out on the first one.

how do you get to him, and how much souls ? im netting about 7k

Facism

A little from Column A, a little from Column B. It's definitely worth buying if you liked Demon's Souls, that's for sure.

Combo of both I would say, as most others have noted.

to be honest so far it feels like a mix of the two with a pinch a dragons dogma .

Go ahead and plan your Friday around picking this game up then.

nice one cheers. guess i'll pick it up, exhaustively play it and then trade it in towards titanfall or something in a week whilst i wait for the pc version.

Just got to
The Lost Sinner
boss and he's kicking my ass. He's so freaking fast, I feel like I barely have any room to counter attack before he readies another swipe.

I think I need to level up strength a bit so I can use a better shield. This wooden one just isn't cutting it anymore. I should probably upgrade my sword too, but its one of the beginning ones you can get from the blacksmith and I don't want to waste anymore shards on it. I still haven't found another decent dexterity weapon yet.

Mana Sin

Means you probably have to adjust your NAT settings via your router. What system are you playing on?

PS3. That's the only time that message has popped up for me. A handful of other times, it just fails to connect. Mostly, though, the summoning works fine. Laggy sometimes, but otherwise fine.

J-Rod

I've played several hours of both versions, and I think the 360 version runs much better. Mainly the frame rate but also the load times are better if you install it. I think the ps3 load times bother me more than the lower frame rate. I also get more audio glitches in the ps3 version.

Marcel

how do you get to him, and how much souls ? im netting about 7k

The continuing path after the
Sentinels
will take you to a bonfire, which you most likely lit. Follow the path from the bonfire to reach
The Saltfort bonfire
and it should be easy for you to figure out from there.

Garcia

I've played several hours of both versions, and I think the 360 version runs much better. Mainly the frame rate but also the load times are better if you install it. I think the ps3 load times bother me more than the lower frame rate. I also get more audio glitches in the ps3 version.

Yeah, the PS3 loading times are excessive.

mattp

So if the enemy respawns are finite, does that mean it is possible that you could leave an area and not gain any souls from it? Obviously this presumes you die a lot without RETRIEVAL! but this could have a profound impact on making sure you are appropriately leveled? Am I way off in thinking this?

yeah this 15 spawn limit thing seems like it could lead to some people really being fucked
kind of like how a lot of people complain they dont like souls because they play and die and "make no progress"
well, now they actually will make close to no progress if they lose the souls from an area lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I got summoned and defeated the
pursuer
for a guy, that felt good. I summoned some guys to help with that fucker and it made the fight a piece of cake. Also death punishment mechanics don't bother me anymore getting your human for is really easy thanks to the online features plus theres a bunch of effigies hanging around for sale.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea, I can deal with the framerate woes on PS3, but the load times are pretty excessive upon death and my biggest problem so far. I also am noticing lots of audio cuts and glitches as well.

Thinking of exchanging for 360 but my Gold account lapsed. I'm assuming the entire online experience won't function with Silver?

soldat7

The tearing negates any minor advantage of the 360 version for me, unless the tearing is simply more pronounced in vids than actual gameplay.

I'm an idiot. For some reason I switched to Depraved when creating the character to see his body or something. Have to start all again. Ugh.

Garcia

I got summoned and defeated the
pursuer
for a guy, that felt good. I summoned some guys to help with that fucker and it made the fight a piece of cake. Also death punishment mechanics don't bother me anymore getting your human for is really easy thanks to the online features plus theres a bunch of effigies hanging around for sale.

I like that boss fight. His attacks make him feel like a "winged" version of Ornstein.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I like that boss fight. His attacks make him feel like a "winged" version of Ornstein.

Yeah i almost solo him and had him below 25% health and i fucked up and died, i said screw it and just summoned two random dudes. I'll battle him alone for new game plus.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So if the enemy respawns are finite, does that mean it is possible that you could leave an area and not gain any souls from it? Obviously this presumes you die a lot without RETRIEVAL! but this could have a profound impact on making sure you are appropriately leveled? Am I way off in thinking this?

Yea, I was goofing around exploring in the first forest region and pretty much netted zero souls by the time I opened a shortcut due to excessive deaths and retries. Though only a small handful of enemies stopped spawning and there was still plenty to kill by backtracking and rebuilding my count, it all felt really scummy and hardly satisfying.

I wasn't even aware of the extinction rules until it happened(though it was a glitch), and was bummed out that both progress satisfaction and rewards were made lighter just because I spent the first couple hours experimenting with different tactics, weapons, crazy jumps, etc... all leading closer to an empty zone. So lame and by far my least favorite change.

georly

Does it have something to do with using the regular soapstone vs the small one? They have different item descriptions about rewards.

I'm using regular, never used small. I'm still racking my brain about it.

What I know:

My lvl 40ish character died 3+ times, has the
ring of binding, cloranthy ring, health regen ring, and attack damage ring
equipped. Also using
drangleic shield and full leather armor and bastard sword.
I was summoned 5+ times to other people's world's in the
wharf area
, fullfilling my mission every single time (either by time-out or by killing the area boss). After each one I returned to my world as a hollow/zombie whatever.

My lvl 4 cleric died ONCE, has starting equipment, and was summoned to a friend's world, and my mission was fulfilled by timeout. I returned to my world with humanity restored.

If anyone can tell my why my main lvl 40 character (now lvl 50 after helping everyone and getting tons of souls) didnt revert to a human, let me know.

I played for an hour last night--not enough time to form any meaningful impressions of the game. It's a real drag trying to play a Souls game with only thirty or sixty minutes of free time in an average day. I lined up previous Demon's and Dark Souls runs on holidays, but with no vacation in sight, I think I'm going to have to call in sick next week.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
7sFxE.png

Current wall of shame. Someone is gonna pass me soon.
KuGsj.gif

Goddamn, I'm not sure if I can solo the
Rune Sentinels
as I am. Giving serious thought to rerolling my character, about 8 hours in and 2 bosses down - cleric just isn't shaping up into anything. Might reroll to a class with a ranged option - any ranged option.

So is there a trick to the
Rune Sentinels
besides treating it like a 4 Kings-style DPS race?

Garcia

So this is now a MMOARPG...

I mean, the summoning works so well .. . I almost feel empty inside when I'm working my way through new areas on my own, lol. I'm getting too accustomed to co-oping now.

mattp

Yea, I can deal with the framerate woes on PS3, but the load times are pretty excessive upon death and my biggest problem so far. I also am noticing lots of audio cuts and glitches as well.

Thinking of exchanging for 360 but my Gold account lapsed. I'm assuming the entire online experience won't function with Silver?

the audio issues are strange
example: one of the big hippo guys is following me in the tutorial area. loud footsteps if i'm running away with the camera looking behind me at the monster. if i flip the camera around to look forward, the footstep sound effects go away

J-Rod

The tearing negates any minor advantage of the 360 version for me, unless the tearing is simply more pronounced in vids than actual gameplay.

The tearing didn't bother me too much, but I don't think I'm as bothered by it as most people. However, there is one location in particular where the screen tearing is out of control like nothing I've ever seen. It is the
very foggy zone I don't know the name of that has invisible dudes running around.

Deadstar

I'm really disappointed From couldn't deliver a solid 30 fps game on ps3. The xbox running 10 fps better on average is ridiculous. I'd probably rather have the tearing on ps3 than the v sync, if that's what is causing the sluggishness. It's really jarring when the game stutters. Does anyone think there is any chance a patch comes out that improves the frame rate?

Mana Sin

I haven't gotten invaded yet. I wonder if that's because I was in the
Way of Blue
. Will I get invaded now that I'm with the
Blue Sentinels
?

I probably should ask, but what area has the
Sunbro covenant
npc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom