• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

StewboaT_

I'm really disappointed From couldn't deliver a solid 30 fps game on ps3. The xbox running 10 fps better on average is ridiculous. I'd probably rather have the tearing on ps3 than the v sync, if that's what is causing the sluggishness. It's really jarring when the game stutters. Does anyone think there is any chance a patch comes out that improves the frame rate?

This :(

mellow

so are there only two roll speeds now as opposed to three? <70% and anything over is fat roll? I've seen a few short mentions of something like this being the case, but nothing concrete

ironcreed

Banned
Is it weird that I haven't been invaded yet?

73807-yoda-you-will-be-gif-Imgur-S5dH.gif

Maybesew

I hate to make a lazy web request, but does anyone have a link to all of the covenant info with the rewards and how to earn them?

I've always wanted to try this series. Is demon souls a good starting point? I have it from PS+ and would have to clear a bunch of space to be able to download it.

Garcia

LMAO. I didn't know some mobs were carrying atomic bombs.

Me and 2 other guys got nuked at that place with the turtle guardian and 2 (annoying) mobs that just stand above throwing shit at you. I have no idea what the hell just happened but we almost got insta-killed by that explosion.

Also, what are the silky & smooth things for?

georly

Is it weird that I haven't been invaded yet?

I havent either. I think 99% of players are just trying to make it through. Once people beat it/figure out game mechanics/find appropriate covenants we'll start to get invaded. I expect it by this weekend.

I think PC launch will also have more invaders, since the double dippers will know what to do, where to go, what to level, what items to get, etc.

LMAO. I didn't know some mobs were carrying atomic bombs.

Me and 2 other guys got nuked at that place with the turtle guardian and 2 (annoying) mobs that just stand above throwing shit at you. I have no idea what the hell just happened but we almost got insta-killed by that explosion.

Also, what are the silky & smooth things for?

The black barrels littered on the ground contain gunpowder. If they're hit with a metallic object that sparks (i think) or anything with fire (such as the firebombs) they will explode. If you roll into them, they destroy and will not explode. I use them to my advantage all the time to kill enemies.

Also the smooth/silky things are for
The crow's nest in the starting area. Leave them where they say to give them shiny and smooth and you get a random reward, i think

Zeliard

so are there only two roll speeds now as opposed to three? <70% and anything over is fat roll? I've seen a few short mentions of something like this being the case, but nothing concrete

I believe that's the case, yes. But as you go up in weight, your rolling distance also decreases.

Adaptability is the king stat as far as mobility now.

Carcetti

Goddamn, I'm not sure if I can solo the
Rune Sentinels
as I am. Giving serious thought to rerolling my character, about 8 hours in and 2 bosses down - cleric just isn't shaping up into anything. Might reroll to a class with a ranged option - any ranged option.

So is there a trick to the
Rune Sentinels
besides treating it like a 4 Kings-style DPS race?

Yes.
I'm terrible at multi-bosses like these and ornstein so the triple sentinels gave me trouble. Kill the first sentinel where you drop in by either rolling or blocking his hits and don't fall down. When he's dead, fill up life, drop down and start rolldodging until you have the 2 sentinels on same side of room. Keep them in your view and provoke them to attack by going forward, then hit back. Keep life full with cheap gems in case they do whirlwind and you can't dodge it.

Also, you can skip the sentinels for now and go do a different place. Go through Heide's or talk to cleric from Heide's in Majula and come back to Bastille later.

Toxi

Banned
I've always wanted to try this series. Is demon souls a good starting point? I have it from PS+ and would have to clear a bunch of space to be able to download it.
You can start anywhere in the series; all three are really good games and their lore is pretty self-contained. Have fun! :)

Kerned

Banned
Trying to build a battle mage and it's sure tough. My souls are getting spread out on so many stats.

I'm having that issue as well. What was your starting class? I figured it would be easier to start as a sorcerer and add some weapons skills as I went, but man the starting STR and DEX are terrible. I am finally at a point where I can use the
fire longsword
I found, but my roll still sucks and I feel generally slow.

Ultrabum

Goddamn, I'm not sure if I can solo the
Rune Sentinels
as I am. Giving serious thought to rerolling my character, about 8 hours in and 2 bosses down - cleric just isn't shaping up into anything. Might reroll to a class with a ranged option - any ranged option.

So is there a trick to the
Rune Sentinels
besides treating it like a 4 Kings-style DPS race?

There are easier places your "supposed" to go before you fight them, try killing the bosses there and coming back.

ironcreed

Banned
Anyone else notice how enemies show up out of nowhere more than usual? Or seem to follow you and jump your ass when least expected? I am seeing that a lot more so far. The game is way more devious and sneaky with even shambling equivalents being a lot more dangerous.

Venfayth

In the Shaded Woods
After you free the Harpy woman from behind the door, she says she'll see you at her home. Where is that?

Loving it so far but I'm not necessarily sure where to go after
beating the last giant. That was the first boss right? Also should I not spend souls on buying the hp regen ring and the falling damage ring? They seem super useful. (I loved that hp regen ring in DS).

Can somebody tell me where i can find the elite knight armor or some other good armor set, i just entered the
shadow forrest
and i'm stuck the whole game with the knight armor.

gdt

I really need a guide. I have no clue what I am doing nor do I understand stats. He'll, I didn't even understand the hollow concept and turning Human. I ran all Tue way to first boss fight as a hollow.

Just get on the wiki or watch a video that explains the basics. Figure out the rest yourself.

ironcreed

Banned
I really need a guide. I have no clue what I am doing nor do I understand stats. He'll, I didn't even understand the hollow concept and turning Human. I ran all Tue way to first boss fight as a hollow.

There is no shame in that for a game like this. I have been with the series since importing Demon's Souls in early '09 and I ordered the guide for this one myself because of all the little changes and nuances. Plus, I simply don't want to miss anything. Having to constantly ask and look online is a bother.

Zukuu

Banned
---------------------Start lvl End lvl
Vigor---------------12 40
Endurance---------6 20
Vitality---------------7 29
Attunement---------4 4
Strength-----------11 20
Dexterity------------8 43
Adaptability--------9 38
Intelligence---------3 3
Faith-----------------6 6
Sl--------------------13 150

So SL 150 makes for a fine melee build. Mages and hybrids need a lot more stats tho and need to sacrifice a bit of Vigor and/or Adpt. I'd still say 150 is a good choice for the next pvp level.

edit: actually makes do fine with 150 as well if they keep Vigor at 20 depending on which weapon they want to wield. That includes 50 int an 38 Adpt. You're at 134 without leveling dex or strength. Attunement of 25 for 5 slots.

5 20
6 20
5 20
12 25
3 3
7 7
8 38
14 50
4 4
11 134

Gorillaz

Anyone else notice how enemies show up out of nowhere more than usual? Or seem to follow you and jump your ass when least expected? I am seeing that a lot more so far. The game is way more devious and sneaky with even shambling equivalents being a lot more dangerous.

Watch your back because most of those "out of nowhere" enemies are playing dead

Carcetti

Can somebody tell me where i can find the elite knight armor or some other good armor set, i just entered the
shadow forrest

There's an excellent "hidden" armor set in starter levels:
Forest of Fallen Giants, kill Pursuer and go past.

Zeliard

Yeah there are quite a lot of ambushes.

I'm maining a dual-wielding build but if I'm going around in a new environment - particularly some corridor ripe for an ambush around a corner - I keep an equipment slot for a shield and keep it up as I inch forward. The classic Souls tactic.

Cetra

Of everything that's changed, I think the option to have the HUD hide itself is my favorite. It's so awesome to not have that stuff breaking immersion the entire time I'm playing. I know you could hide it before, but it was permanent. This new auto-hide is much better. There when you need it, hidden when you don't.

image_zpscd27dc4c.jpg
Just got the guide in the mail! It's gonna stay seal until I beat the game :) my only regret is I wish I have gotten into The Souls series earlier.

Grudy

I'm having that issue as well. What was your starting class? I figured it would be easier to start as a sorcerer and add some weapons skills as I went, but man the starting STR and DEX are terrible. I am finally at a point where I can use the
fire longsword
I found, but my roll still sucks and I feel generally slow.

I started out with sorcerer too and it was a real effort to try leveling str and dex to be able to wield a short sword and a shield. What stats are you focusing on btw? (I heard int hard caps at 40?)

[NaK]

shadow forrest

The armor salesman i Majula sells the elite knight armor for me. Might be new in stock after completing a certain boss though.

Yes.
I'm terrible at multi-bosses like these and ornstein so the triple sentinels gave me trouble. Kill the first sentinel where you drop in by either rolling or blocking his hits and don't fall down. When he's dead, fill up life, drop down and start rolldodging until you have the 2 sentinels on same side of room. Keep them in your view and provoke them to attack by going forward, then hit back. Keep life full with cheap gems in case they do whirlwind and you can't dodge it.

Also, you can skip the sentinels for now and go do a different place. Go through Heide's or talk to cleric from Heide's in Majula and come back to Bastille later.
There are easier places your "supposed" to go before you fight them, try killing the bosses there and coming back.
Guess I'm going to Heide's, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom