• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm really disappointed From couldn't deliver a solid 30 fps game on ps3. The xbox running 10 fps better on average is ridiculous. I'd probably rather have the tearing on ps3 than the v sync, if that's what is causing the sluggishness. It's really jarring when the game stutters. Does anyone think there is any chance a patch comes out that improves the frame rate?
I do not like low framerates but to me, tearing is much worse. I'm just super sensitive to tearing or something.

PolishQ

Where can I find analog of drake sword? I remember someone mention it.

The first Heide Knight in Forest of Fallen Giants drops a nice sword with lightning damage. There's also a nice fire sword in the fire tunnel just before the second Forest of Fallen Giants bonfire. Dash in as fast as you can and open the door on your left.

void666

Banned
I really need a guide. I have no clue what I am doing nor do I understand stats. He'll, I didn't even understand the hollow concept and turning Human. I ran all Tue way to first boss fight as a hollow.

Not knowing what to do or how things work is IMO part of the appeal of the soul series.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
What are the requirements for invading someone's game? I know you have to use that red items but most of the time it doesn't work, it only lighted up once but i had way too many souls to try it so i level up and i couldn't invade.

robotnik

The first Heide Knight in Forest of Fallen Giants drops a nice sword with lightning damage. There's also a nice fire sword in the fire tunnel just before the second Forest of Fallen Giants bonfire. Dash in as fast as you can and open the door on your left.
That NPC? But I don't want to kill him. Also I got this fire sword, but don't like it

Zeliard

Hey How is your dual wielding going? I'm going to attempt dual wielding spears tonight after I raise my STR 2 more points

I love it. It's my favorite addition to the game. I think it's really great having instant access to two separate 1H movesets, along with the ability to 2H each weapon AND parry with them.

And when you're able to get in the power stance, the special dual-attacks are a lot of fun.

Clevinger

What are the requirements for invading someone's game? I know you have to use that red items but most of the time it doesn't work, it only lighted up once but i had way too many souls to try it so i level up and i couldn't invade.

You have to be human. Can't do it in Majula.

I think that's it.

Gorillaz

I love it. It's my favorite addition to the game. I think it's really great having instant access to two separate 1H movesets, along with the ability to 2H each weapon AND parry with them.

And when you're able to get in the power stance, the special dual-attacks are a lot of fun.

What's your weapons of choice?

Been using dual falichon upgraded to lvl 3 but I'm wondering what everyone else has

Poly-Gons

Neo Member
Does anyone know how to increase the number of casts for a spell/miracle? My internet searches show that most spells have a range to the number of casts (i.e., 3 to 6 for the Heal miracle), but I'm not sure if this is dependent upon something like raising attunement, as opposed to stacking spells, or something else.

I apologize if this is a noob-ish question.

Swuabino

That NPC? But I don't want to kill him. Also I got this fire sword, but don't like it

The Heide Knights are basically this game's version of black knights. You'll come across a few of them throughout the game. They don't really have any purpose outside of fighting and dropping good equipment.

Wagram

image_zpscd27dc4c.jpg
Just got the guide in the mail! It's gonna stay seal until I beat the game :) my only regret is I wish I have gotten into The Souls series earlier.

That statue is significantly larger than I thought it was. Kicking myself for not purchasing it now.

Raide

Does anyone know how to increase the number of casts for a spell/miracle? My internet searches show that most spells have a range to the number of casts (i.e., 3 to 6 for the Heal miracle), but I'm not sure if this is dependent upon something like raising attunement, as opposed to stacking spells, or something else.

I apologize if this is a noob-ish question.

If they kept it like DS, it would be attuning the same spell that doubles the amount of casts. Attunement just lets you have more available slots to put magic into.

Invading is only possible with red items?
There's no red stone in DS 2?

You know you're addicted when you go home on your lunch break and play for a half hour just because.

Leveled up my strength so I can dual wield properly and helped somebody defeat the first boss, though, so I'd say it was a good use of my time.

Kensuke

What's your weapons of choice?

Been using dual falichon upgraded to lvl 3 but I'm wondering what everyone else has

Where did you get a second falchion? I'm currently alternating between Falchion, Scimitar and Uchigata. If only I had a second decent katana.

So I decided to start with Knight, thinking I'm going to go for a Strength/possibly faith build

Any suggestions for which stats to focus on?

Also, I'm probably going to want to use cool big swords or maybe spear and shield, or an awesome mace type weapon if there is one available, are those good choices for Strength/Faith?

Ferrio

Banned
I want to find some poison weapons :(

Only beaten 4 bosses so far, it goes from "Fuck this is hard!" to "This is too easy" with the help of other phantoms.

Amazon didn't give me a delivery estimate for me CE yesterday, they just said the game was out of stock and they'd notify me when they had more. Being that this is Dark Souls II and I obviously cannot sit around and wait I went out and bought the game from Gamestop along with the guide (which I don't plan on using for quite some time). I figured it wouldn't kill me to miss out on the CE so whatever. Only problem is, after I bought the game I checked Amazon and the package had already shipped! Now the bright, shiny CE is sitting at home waiting for me, but I already have an unopened copy of the game... That's $200 invested in Dark Souls II...

I'm not really sure how to handle this situation, haha.

Venfayth

Reposting, hoping someone knows.

In the Shaded Woods
After you free the Harpy woman from behind the door, she says she'll see you at her home. Where is that?

Can someone explain to me the white soapstone timing? My friends keep getting booted and I don't see any way to tell when/how long they have left? Is there any covenant I can join that will remove this restriction? I really just want to play with my friends and have them not seemly get randomly booted.

Poly-Gons

Neo Member
If they kept it like DS, it would be attuning the same spell that doubles the amount of casts. Attunement just lets you have more available slots to put magic into.

So, when a website like this one, for example (http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Miracles), states that the number of casts is 3 to 6 for a miracle, are you saying that that means that you get to the 6 casts by simply attuning 2 of the same miracle? Doesn't that imply that you can't attune more than 2 of that miracle?

robotnik

The Heide Knights are basically this game's version of black knights. You'll come across a few of them throughout the game. They don't really have any purpose outside of fighting and dropping good equipment.
Yeah, found another one in Bastille. Good to know, thank you.

justjim89

Limited respawns on enemies sounds really lame. Hope there's a way around that. It was a source of comfort in Dark Souls that if you lost a bunch of souls, you could grind to get them back. Especially in that forest area. Without that, I'd imagine the game is much less forgiving in regards to lost souls.

I totally forgot about the screen tearing in the 360 version. I didn't even notice it was there, though I'm used to the tearing in Warframe PS4 and its very noticeable in that game. Glad it wasn't that bad for me. So far the framerate is very much similar to DS1. I feel like the camera controls ate kind of rough. It almost feels like the sensitivity is different depending on the axis, and there's only an overall sensitivity control hmmm.

---------------------Start lvl End lvl
Vigor---------------12 40
Endurance---------6 20
Vitality---------------7 29
Attunement---------4 4
Strength-----------11 20
Dexterity------------8 43
Adaptability--------9 38
Intelligence---------3 3
Faith-----------------6 6
Sl--------------------13 150

So SL 150 makes for a fine melee build. Mages and hybrids need a lot more stats tho and need to sacrifice a bit of Vigor and/or Adpt. I'd still say 150 is a good choice for the next pvp level.

edit: actually makes do fine with 150 as well if they keep Vigor at 20 depending on which weapon they want to wield. That includes 50 int an 38 Adpt. You're at 134 without leveling dex or strength. Attunement of 25 for 5 slots.

5 20
6 20
5 20
12 25
3 3
7 7
8 38
14 50
4 4
11 134

Nope. You have ADp at 38 (18 above the soft cap and VIG at 40, 20 above the soft cap).

125 is still fine. The whole reason FROM added more stats was to counter the fact that you could have high stamina, high equip load, fast roll from 1 stat while still being relatively low level. It would be useless to counter that by increase pvp lvl's.

As said before 40/VIT and 40 END is similar to 20/20/20/20 VIT/END/VIG/ADP so it works out fine.

Thanks people. Most likely not buying this on Friday.

What a shame. I cannot wait to play some more tonight! also the video on dual weilding is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDljAFZKAk

On a side note, this is definitely feeling like it has gone back to more of Demon's Souls design in terms of the world progression. Yet it is bigger than either Demon's or Dark Souls I, while maintaining that same interlinking, shortcut unlocking path discovery design. As a result, it feels more wonderfully daunting than ever.

I feel the same way.

J-Roderton

I'm having a lot of trouble getting through places than I ever have in DS, and I'm only in what I think is the first area I'm supposed to go in. I may just reroll with a magic user if I'm going in this lost anyway.

I started as a knight and I have the same problem. I found a "good" sword though but it's clearly not the best weapon I own right now.
Bought a hammer + 2 upgrades instead.

I heard I can find a
great flame sword
somewhere in the forest, but I can't get past that damn tree part up that ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom