• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukuu

Banned
Nope. You have ADp at 38 (18 above the soft cap and VIG at 40, 20 above the soft cap).

125 is still fine. The whole reason FROM added more stats was to counter the fact that you could have high stamina, high equip load, fast roll from 1 stat while still being relatively low level. It would be useless to counter that by increase pvp lvl's.

As said before 40/VIT and 40 END is similar to 20/20/20/20 VIT/END/VIG/ADP so it works out fine.
38 is the cap of agility, not 20. You get 40 vigor because you're a melee without any spells. Try to build a mage build, or str / faith build... 150 seems like a solid choice. 20 is only the first soft cap for vigor. 50 is the real "soft" cap.

Maybesew

What's the difference between the Way of Blue and the Blue Sentinels?

The sentinels are probably closest to the forest defenders from dark souls. You equip a ring that auto summons you to protect those that get invaded. I wore the ring all night last night but never got summoned.

Jobbs

Banned
has anyone been summoned by
their guardian ring yet?
or
summoned anyone with their rat ring?
or been invaded?

I'm having a lot of trouble getting through places than I ever have in DS, and I'm only in what I think is the first area I'm supposed to go in. I may just reroll with a magic user if I'm going in this lost anyway.

I heard I can find a
great flame sword
somewhere in the forest, but I can't get past that damn tree part up that ladder.

Yep that's the sword I found ^^

Which tree part?

Btw: what does "soft cap" mean?

Sun

Neo Member
Any other Europeans getting the game early?

Just got home with it now, installing as I type, getting ready to play.

hihi

Nose Master

Loving it so far but I'm not necessarily sure where to go after
beating the last giant. That was the first boss right? Also should I not spend souls on buying the hp regen ring and the falling damage ring? They seem super useful. (I loved that hp regen ring in DS).

Unless I'm missing something, that ring doesn't even seem to work in DS2. That or the effect is so marginal it's completely useless.

Deadstar

What does everyone think about the durability? Does it get better as you improve the weapon? I have a +1 sword and it breaks without even getting to the boss. It's kind of annoying and I feel like I must be missing something. I think Vinny said in the quick look if you hit walls it drops the durability down even faster. Actually, do hitting shields drop it too? That would make sense. Maybe why they put the charge bash in.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nope. You have ADp at 38 (18 above the soft cap and VIG at 40, 20 above the soft cap).

125 is still fine. The whole reason FROM added more stats was to counter the fact that you could have high stamina, high equip load, fast roll from 1 stat while still being relatively low level. It would be useless to counter that by increase pvp lvl's.

As said before 40/VIT and 40 END is similar to 20/20/20/20 VIT/END/VIG/ADP so it works out fine.

I was on blackout so changes are new to me... Haven't gotten my CE yet in the mail, but what stats now affect roll speed and burden? I need to be faaaaaast, while still wearing decent armor since I think I'm starting sorcery

What's the difference between the Way of Blue and the Blue Sentinels?

I believe for Way of Blue, whenever you are invaded, a blue sentinel will be summoned automatically to help you. So vice versa, if you are a blue sentinel, you will be summoned to help someone in the Way of Blue when they are invaded.

38 is the cap of agility, not 20. You get 40 vigor because you're a melee without any spells. Try to build a mage build, or str / faith build... 150 seems like a solid choice.

When the soul level is too high it results in every build having high end, vig, adp which is what SL 150 would result in. There needs to be consequences for investing in stats. Want to do a quality build, you are going to have to notably less VIT/END/VIG etc.

Maybe for the upper end of the bracket. 125 still seems fine.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I want to see a comparison vid at some point of chugging estus at base ADP and at high ADP. I have 22 in the stat right now, and I notice it's a bit quicker, but I'm wondering if I should dump any more points into it.

HeelPower

Eventhough there is teleport early in the game...the world is so big that you WILL miss stuff if you keep teleport instead of retreading areas.

At the same time it makes exploration that much more fun and less tedious.

Traversal is fantastic in this game.I am tired of having to mindlessly run back and forth in games like in LR or Dragon's Dogma...Bleh

The tree with the dude sitting under it and there is a guy shooting arrows at you from above while you have to take out three or four enemies.

Ah, yeah. You can
run to the right, climb up the ladder (two enemies on the stairs) and kill the guy with his bow before fighting against the other four enemies.

Zukuu

Banned
When the soul level is too high it results in every build having high end, vig, adp which is what SL 150 would result in. There needs to be consequences for investing in stats. Want to do a quality build, you are going to have to notably less VIT/END/VIG etc.

Maybe for the upper end of the bracket. 125 still seems fine.

But you DO. Like I said, build a hybrid, mage build, cleric build, any magic build and try to get high end, vig, adpt. It's impossible. The only build that can afford that is a pure str OR dex melee build, which has an disadvantage in having no spells. You want spells or quality or hybrid? Sac vigor \ apt \ end for it. That's exactly what the cap should enforce. It shouldn't artificially keep all stats at a minimum so every build will look the same when you have no choice, when you run out of points when you get the bare minimum you need.

Jobbs

Banned
Eventhough there is teleport early in the game...the world is so big that you WILL miss stuff if you keep teleport instead of retreading areas.

Traversal is fantastic in this game.I am tired of having to mindlessly run back and forth in games like in LR or Dragon's Dogma...Bleh

It's always a trade off, though, when you explore the deepest reaches of the universe in say, blight town or tomb of giants or whatever, (at the time it seems like the deepest depths of the universe) you're committed. you really are there. if you found a bonfire to save your ass, well, you're there now and you'll have to find a way out. it added tension and atmosphere to the game which the sequel lacks. there are plusses and minuses, I'm not prepared to say TPing is better, that said, with a world as big as DS2 it may be less practical to not have it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
What does everyone think about the durability? Does it get better as you improve the weapon? I have a +1 sword and it breaks without even getting to the boss. It's kind of annoying and I feel like I must be missing something. I think Vinny said in the quick look if you hit walls it drops the durability down even faster. Actually, do hitting shields drop it too? That would make sense. Maybe why they put the charge bash in.

I'm interested in this as well. It was shocking when I was only part way through the first post-intro zone and the prompt came up telling me my shit was about to break. So for now I'm mainly going through areas with "crappier" weapons and switching to the good stuff when a new challenge shows up.

As it stands weapons wear down way, way too fast. Hopefully this improves as you upgrade your weapons, otherwise I will see it as a big flaw in the game.

Only thing is is there a reason they changed levelling up from bonfires? It seems like a change that wastes time. You can fast travel right back to Mujala anyway but you gotta sit through the loading screen everytime.I don't see the point in forcing players to go back everytime. Unless the lady gets captured or something.

Raide

So, when a website like this one, for example (http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Miracles), states that the number of casts is 3 to 6 for a miracle, are you saying that that means that you get to the 6 casts by simply attuning 2 of the same miracle? Doesn't that imply that you can't attune more than 2 of that miracle?

Acording to the same page.

"To use any kind of Magic, the player will first have to learn a spell, and equip a Staff, Bell or Pyromancy Flame that corresponds to the spell's Magic class. After the spell is learned, it must be equipped at a Bonfire with the Attune Magic option.
A spell has a set amount of uses, before it is depleted, but resting at a Bonfire will fully replenish it. Some spells can be equipped more than once, if the player has enough slots, and multiple copies of the spell in question"

I was on blackout so changes are new to me... Haven't gotten my CE yet in the mail, but what stats now affect roll speed and burden? I need to be faaaaaast, while still wearing decent armor since I think I'm starting sorcery

ADP results in a faster fast roll and being able to fast roll at higher equip loads (percentages).

VIG increases your equip load.

Armor now has stat requirements. Not too sure on what Stats.

So the Rat Covenant seems pretty fun!

If you are in the rat area (forgot the name) you will be automatically summoned as a grey phantom into the Rat covenant host's world. There you will have to fight the host as well as all of his minions. As a grey, you win and get a Pharros Stone. I won a few times and used them in the rat area but they just seemed to make the area harder... Like make the statues shoot out stuff that damages your gear. I believe this is to make the area worse for Greys who come into your world when you're a member of the covenant. As a member, you win Rat Tails for defeating Greys and you can trade them to the rat king for...something. This seems like a fun way to set traps and torture invaders. The first time I was pulled into a Rat bros world he was wearing the ring that makes him look like a white phantom. This confused me and made me worried that I didn't know where the host was... There is a Chameleon item now so hopefully that's useful here.

Garcia

The black barrels littered on the ground contain gunpowder. If they're hit with a metallic object that sparks (i think) or anything with fire (such as the firebombs) they will explode. If you roll into them, they destroy and will not explode. I use them to my advantage all the time to kill enemies.

Also the smooth/silky things are for
The crow's nest in the starting area. Leave them where they say to give them shiny and smooth and you get a random reward, i think

Makes sense! Give me shiny, Give me soft...

So, I've killed 3
Last Giants
in other people's worlds but I still haven't killed the one in my own. . .LOL

Maybesew

Anyone that went Bandit, how do you plan on distrubuting your stats or weapon choice. I need to find a whip and a twin blade to try out.

I went with the conservative raising of VIT and END at first, then as I found weapons I leveled STR or DEX as needed,and then once I was comfortable with my health and stamina, I pumped up dex a bunch, then finally got caught up with ADP. I probably should have done ADP sooner.

Ferrio

Banned
What are the requirements for double wielding style? My character is able to do it.. .but I don't wanna pick up new weapons and find out I can't.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting through places than I ever have in DS, and I'm only in what I think is the first area I'm supposed to go in. I may just reroll with a magic user if I'm going in this lost anyway.

I heard I can find a
great flame sword
somewhere in the forest, but I can't get past that damn tree part up that ladder.

The flame sword in down in the valley below the first bonfile in the forest. Be careful of the salamander!!

KorrZ

So, I only got to play this game for a little bit yesterday but I made it past the first(?) boss
The Last Giant in the forest
and now I've made my way to...I think the second boss
The Pursuer
he kicked my ass royally twice before I quit. Just wondering if I'm in the right spot or if I should be going elsewhere first?

That statue is significantly larger than I thought it was. Kicking myself for not purchasing it now.

Yeah I was surprised when I was handed the collectors edition at gamestop. I have only opened it up to take the game out since I dont have any room to put the statue somewhere till I move out.

Ferrio

Banned
So, I only got to play this game for a little bit yesterday but I made it past the first(?) boss
The Last Giant in the forest
and now I've made my way to...I think the second boss
The Pursuer
he kicked my ass royally twice before I quit. Just wondering if I'm in the right spot or if I should be going elsewhere first?

You can go else where too, but he's doable where you're at. If you want to make him super easy
Invite a phantom, get someone to distract him while someone shoots the huge ballistas at him

I started a new character and immediately bought the blacksmith's key, bought a mace, reinforced it, and dumped a ton of souls into STR. I am now essentially a murder machine.

Also, everyone knows the extra shortcut in the second Forest of Giants bonfire area, right?
Blow up the barreled stacked in the corner against the wall where that one jerk throwing firebombs is. The wall explodes and ta da! It's the bonfire and ladder!
I put a message in front of this and it's gotten 47 ratings so far.

dalVlatko

Pursuer spoiler
The ballistas kind of ruin the boss for co-op. The amount of health it takes off is ridiculous and makes the boss pretty much insignificant. The only thing that kind of redeems it is that you can kill other people with it too lol

TraBuch

Banned
Anyone know where that NPC that you can sell things to in No-Man's Wharf goes? I went back there to sell some extra stuff I don't need but he's gone. I assume he went to Majula but I can't find him anywhere.

Pursuer spoiler
The ballistas kind of ruin the boss for co-op. The amount of health it takes off is ridiculous and makes the boss pretty much insignificant.

Has anyone managed to
kill him the first time he shows up with the giant crow?
Me and a phantom got close last night but he hits hard.

A few technical things I'm curious about:

Can you free aim with crossbows/magic/miracles now, like you can with bows? I think I heard From saying that would be possible in DS2, but I'm not sure.

Also, do curved swords like the scimitar still do the 'slash+cartwheel' move instead of the guard break kick/shove when you input forward+light attack?

The Ring of
Binding
is god tier for being so early in the game. Totally recommend running to get that as soon as you can.

---

I beat my first boss as well... And of course, the first boss I run into is
Old Dragonslayer aka Ornstein - was quite a surprise. Is that really him? I read on a wiki just now that: "The Ornstein encountered in Anor Londo in the first installment was an illusion created by Gwyndolin to protect Gwynevere's illusion." Is that true? I knew that Gwynevere was an illusion in the first game, but didn't think Ornstein/Smough was one.

That boss was really annoying to fight as a sorcerer, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom