• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalVlatko

Has anyone managed to
kill him the first time he shows up with the giant crow?
Me and a phantom got close last night but he hits hard.
I managed to get him to 10% health with someone who hadn't explored any of the area but I died. I like to think whoever I was helping got him

KorrZ

You can go else where too, but he's doable where you're at. If you want to make him super easy
Invite a phantom, get someone to distract him while someone shoots the huge ballistas at him

Thanks! I'll tough it out. Co-op kind of ruins the bosses for me, makes them way too easy.

Grinchy

Banned
Has anyone managed to
kill him the first time he shows up with the giant crow?
Me and a phantom got close last night but he hits hard.

I tried. When the sequence first happened I was shitting my pants. I was dodging perfectly but I was doing like 15 damage per swing so there was no way I was going to be able to finish it solo. I was also at half health at the time so it was a one-hit kill on me.

Plissken

I'm loving this game more than I thought I would so far. I figured "I've played DS1 twice through, I'm prepared!" NOPE. First thing I tried to do was kill the
Hungry Hungry Hippo (Ogre)
at the start, and BAM! Eaten alive within the first 3 minutes of the game, love it! Managed to defeat the first boss and called it a night, I'm sitting here at work now just counting the hours before I can get back into it. Haven't had that feeling about a game in a long, long time.

I started a new character and immediately bought the blacksmith's key, bought a mace, reinforced it, and dumped a ton of souls into STR. I am now essentially a murder machine.

Also, everyone knows the extra shortcut in the second Forest of Giants bonfire area, right?
Blow up the barreled stacked in the corner against the wall where that one jerk throwing firebombs is. The wall explodes and ta da! It's the bonfire and ladder!
I put a message in front of this and it's gotten 47 ratings so far.

I saw that message. It got me killed. :mad:

Use fire? I have a flame sword! Kaboom! Dead. Should have known better.

Garcia

I started a new character and immediately bought the blacksmith's key, bought a mace, reinforced it, and dumped a ton of souls into STR. I am now essentially a murder machine.

Also, everyone knows the extra shortcut in the second Forest of Giants bonfire area, right?
Blow up the barreled stacked in the corner against the wall where that one jerk throwing firebombs is. The wall explodes and ta da! It's the bonfire and ladder!

I found it by accident after getting hit by that asshole standing above. I saw your sign right after that. :)

How may estus flask upgrades has everyone found. I am at the first boss and have 4 total.

I have four Estus Flasks +1 so far. I'm trying to not use my lifegems either because I've heard they are a lot rarer now (which seems to be the case - they barely drop).

I stumbled upon it and almost died as a result. xD It's a handy shortcut, though.

Manus

Oh man those enemies that run toward you and explode, but don't die are brutal. Not very hard to kill, but man they are very unpredictable.

Sullichin

Boss weapon spoiler:
The Smelter sword is pretty damn good after upgrading it a couple of times. It's heavy though, and only has D/D scaling so I'm not sure how well it will do in NG+

Ardenyal

I feel like this game isn't "challenging but fair" anymore. Some enemies and surprises are grade A bullshit.
Kamikazi enemies, after thousands of shattered barrels they now explode "surpriiise" and much more.

Sullichin

So the Rat Covenant seems pretty fun!

If you are in the rat area (forgot the name) you will be automatically summoned as a grey phantom into the Rat covenant host's world. There you will have to fight the host as well as all of his minions. As a grey, you win and get a Pharros Stone. I won a few times and used them in the rat area but they just seemed to make the area harder... Like make the statues shoot out stuff that damages your gear. I believe this is to make the area worse for Greys who come into your world when you're a member of the covenant. As a member, you win Rat Tails for defeating Greys and you can trade them to the rat king for...something. This seems like a fun way to set traps and torture invaders. The first time I was pulled into a Rat bros world he was wearing the ring that makes him look like a white phantom. This confused me and made me worried that I didn't know where the host was... There is a Chameleon item now so hopefully that's useful here.

What level are you? Do you know if you can use this ring anywhere? I've tried a bunch of the multiplayer covenants and I can't get summoned with any of the rings. I think I'm just too high level.
I want to beat the game but I also want to start over so I can participate in multiplayer!

Guys, do you get a shield early on like in DS1? Asking this to decide if to go Warrior or Knight.

shitty ones, yeah.
Greatshields seem to be more useful in this game as they're the only ones I've found besides one normal shield that has 100% physical block

koryuken

To all the people bitching about going hollow, losing HP and no human effigies... look at this fucking easy mode item:

Ring of Life Protection
Do not turn Hollow or lose Souls upon death other than petrification. Breaks when activated but can be repaired for 3000 Souls.

The game may be a little harder in terms of enemies, but there are many these items that make the game almost too easy (plus a ton more bonfires).

Ferr986

shitty ones, yeah.
Greatshields seem to be more useful in this game as they're the only ones I've found besides one normal shield that has 100% physical block

Thanks! I guess the shield the warrior starts with is also shitty, right? I guess Ill go Knight for my first playthough.

georly

To all the people bitching about going hollow, losing HP and no human effigies... look at this fucking easy mode item:

Ring of Life Protection
Do not turn Hollow or lose Souls upon death other than petrification. Breaks when activated but can be repaired for 3000 Souls.

The game may be a little harder in terms of enemies, but there are many these items that make the game almost too easy (plus a ton more bonfires).

Whaaaaaaaa you
can repair it!
?

Conezays

So here's a couple quick questions-am I right to assume I need a Catalyst again to use magic spells like Soul Arrow in this game? Don't want to waste souls buying Soul Arrow if I can't use it.

Also, are life gems only found on corpses/bought in shops for 300 souls a piece? Pretty steep, argh. I'm a few hours in, haven't even got to a boss yet. Having played Dark Souls AND Demon Souls recently, this game seems FAR harder, at least in opening areas.

I think game seems great, but definitely feel like I am playing the gimped version on consoles. The frame rate and graphics are definitely noticeably rough coming from Dark Souls on PC.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Ring of Life Protection

What? That's so lame. I can't believe they put that in. Getting this better be incredibly hard.

Sullichin

Ring of Life Protection

What. I haven't found one of those yet.

There are so many god damned locked doors in this game. It seems like that's a reason to go walk through previous areas instead of warping. Still finding tons of stuff I missed, but most of these doors are still locked... but I gotta be close to the end of the game at this point.

Fuck these lockstones. What's up with the ones that do nothing? So frustrating.

Something unexpectedly awesome happened - I was running through
Iron Keep and went to the boss, who I already defeated. I started walking through the room and the Pursuer spawned out of the floor.

Garcia

So here's a couple quick questions-am I right to assume I need a Catalyst again to use magic spells like Soul Arrow in this game? Don't want to waste souls buying Soul Arrow if I can't use it.

Also, are life gems only found on corpses/bought in shops for 300 souls a piece? Pretty steep, argh. I'm a few hours in, haven't even got to a boss yet. Having played Dark Souls AND Demon Souls recently, this game seems FAR harder, at least in opening areas.

I think game seems great, but definitely feel like I am playing the gimped version on consoles. The frame rate and graphics are definitely noticeably rough coming from Dark Souls on PC.

I'm finding the loading times impossible to handle sometimes. I got almost 40 seconds on the PS3 just an hour ago. It's just absurd.

TheMink

You can find great soul arrow in
land of the giants where the undead try to shoot you with giant baristas
so you dont have to buy the first one if your low on souls.

Sullichin

I'm finding the loading times impossible to handle sometimes. I got almost 40 seconds on the PS3 just an hour ago. It's just absurd.

The loading times are the worst. Longer than the first game, and more frequent. You could for example go to Sens-> Anor Londo via the gargoyle without it loading, but similar transitions in this game bring up load screens. For the amount of times I'm dying, the load times are really grating.

Home

Anyone having an issue where you set your white summon down but once you get summoned it cancels the summon and you cant use it again? It's been happening to me and once it happens all messages and bloodstains disappear until i exit the game and reload my save.

It's very weird considering in human form I can summon others fine. Maybe just launch issues though.

Ring of Life Protection

As a lot of people said. FROM and Namco have clearly made this franchise more casual or accessible to casual rpg fans.

The loading times are the worst. Longer than the first game, and more frequent. You could for example go to Sens-> Anor Londo via the gargoyle without it loading, but similar transitions in this game bring up load screens. For the amount of times I'm dying, the load times are really grating.

The detail culling/LOD scaling is the real killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom