• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
another question: what is a good equip load? 50% doesnt seem to be the cut off. i know it somehow works in conjunction with adaptility, but in what way exactly?

on another topic: i started as an dex-build but the weapons felt underwhelming till now (rapier+5 is cute, but you dont stagger shit with it). going right into quality now (looking at you halberd).

i reaaaallyy hope there are unlimited amounts of shards and large shards.

I can't imagine how there could be. Vendors have a finite amount and the only other ones I've found have been treasure scattered throughout the world. If they're an enemy drop at some point you'll just drive the enemies extinct while farming them.

another question: what is a good equip load? 50% doesnt seem to be the cut off. i know it somehow works in conjunction with adaptility, but in what way exactly?

on another topic: i started as an dex-build but the weapons felt underwhelming till now (rapier+5 is cute, but you dont stagger shit with it). going right into quality now (looking at you halberd).

i reaaaallyy hope there are unlimited amounts of shards and large shards.

I'm currently 69.3%. If I go over 70 I be doing fat roll.

Lol my characters mustache was gone wtf.

NIN90

Oh.
I went in there, the gate closed, and I died. When I returned, the gate was still closed, so I couldn't go in. I couldn't figure out how to get back in there. Is there a way?
Heard there is a way but I haven't tried it myself.

Why is my flame sword getting so quick to break. I used to be able to use it for long periods but now it seems that after a few minutes its close to break.

Problem with Swordsman is he starts off with extremely low Adaptability, and along with his very low Vigor (lowest of all starting classes), it can be a very squishy class.

I think the dual wielding is wonderful, but if I were to start over I'd pick Deprived for leveling freedom or something like Knight for his much higher Vigor and higher ADP, and decent STR/DEX. All classes in Souls games eventually homogenize but class choice can be fairly significant for the early game.

How crazy that the class that is intended to not block or stagger enemies, is also the one that is consistently killed in one hit. What a weird set up.

Edit: But I think I'm stuck. This boss is killing me in one blow and I can't block him. And the enemies around me aren't getting me much. Not sure what to do now.

J4g3r

Some help here would be great:

I revived the guy who is supposed to make weapons out of boss souls but he's saying I lack intelligence. (I started as a bandit so 1 Int, haven't leveled it up)

Anyone know the Int requirement?

Problem with Swordsman is he starts off with extremely low Adaptability, and along with his very low Vigor (lowest of all starting classes), it can be a very squishy class.

I think the dual wielding is wonderful, but if I were to start over I'd pick Deprived for leveling freedom or something like Knight for his much higher Vigor and higher ADP, and decent STR/DEX. All classes in Souls games eventually homogenize but class choice can be fairly significant for the early game.

You seem to know about this, I keep asking but no one responds.

I am still wondering if anyone fully understands the agility system in this game. Weight seems to still be the determining factor in how fast you move and roll. So then what does adaptability do?

Sullichin

I revived the guy who is supposed to make weapons out of boss souls but he's saying I lack intelligence. (I started as a bandit so 1 Int, haven't leveled it up)

Must not be more than 6, I started as Deprived and didn't level INT at all.

Zeliard

How crazy that the class that is intended to not block or stagger enemies, is also the one that is consistently killed in one hit. What a weird set up.

I think it's super-bizarre that the lightly-armored, dual wielding class template has such low Adaptability to start. I mean that type of build is heavily centered on roll-dodging, so why start it off with such a crippling ADP stat, especially when its Vigor is also so low?

sixghost

I am still wondering if anyone fully understands the agility system in this game. Weight seems to still be the determining factor in how fast you move and roll. So then what does adaptability do?

Maybe weight controls the animation type you get, and adaptability controls the actual speed or invincibility frames?
Starting to regret wasting points in dex on my cleric to wield the halberd when the mace is apparently wrecking shit for everyone else.

Please don't spoil the exact location, but can anyone who's found the item to enhance weapons to scale with faith let me know how far in the game you were when you found it?

There are some optional enemies in
Giant's Forest and Bastille
that have lightning damage weapons as a guaranteed drop, which I believe inherently scales with faith. There's also a covenant in
Heide's Tower
that lets you buy an item that will make weapons have lightning damage.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the tooltip in the weapon stat screen implies that all lightning damage scales with faith. Hope that helps.

koryuken

I think it's super-bizarre that the lightly-armored, dual wielding class template has such low Adaptability to start. I mean that type of build is heavily centered on roll-dodging, so why start it off with such a crippling ADP stat, especially when its Vigor is also so low?

Yeah... the knight is more suited for dual wielding than the swordsman.

BTW, is the forward + attack (the bitchslap) a new replacement for the kick? Does it also guard break?

This is ridiculous if it has an Int requirement.

derwalde

I can't imagine how there could be. Vendors have a finite amount and the only other ones I've found have been treasure scattered throughout the world. If they're an enemy drop at some point you'll just drive the enemies extinct while farming them.

i guess you are right. i hoped there were vendors who sell infinte amounts. but wouldnt that render the respec option kind of useless? you can respec your character but cant use other equipement because of the limited amount of upgrades.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
where does the
boss souls guy
move to after you rescue him? I haven't been able to find him, he's not in his orginal location anymore.

On that note,
multiple npc's talked about them seeing the dwarf with the moonlight greatsword, but I haven't seen him again either.

Zeliard

Weight affects your roll distance, up to 70%. Past 70% equip load you lose the fast roll.

ADP is the stat that governs actual roll speed this time around. So if you have a good ADP stat, you can wear medium-heavy armor and still have an effective roll, albeit at shorter distances the greater your weight.

So it can still be useful to go lighter, but now it's more feasible for people to wear good poise armor while still having a solid roll-dodge, without using something like Havel's Ring.

L-gon

So, Amazon's customer service continues to amaze.

I received my Black Armor 360 copy today and immediately noticed the discs within had become dislodged in transit. Sure enough, upon opening, I found the game disc had light surface scratches. These are very unlikely to inhibit gameplay or cause issues but are still quite annoying.

A quick chat with a Customer service rep explaining my issue and that the Black Armor edition is no longer available and I receive a $49 credit for the inconvenience.

PC double-dip 100% funded...:)

That sucks since I went with bandit also

Weight affects your roll distance, up to 70%. Past 70% equip load you lose the fast roll.

ADP is the stat that governs actual roll speed this time around. So if you have a good ADP stat, you can wear medium-heavy armor and still have an effective roll, albeit at shorter distances the greater your weight.

So it can still be useful to go lighter, but now it's more feasible for people to wear good poise armor while still having a solid roll-dodge, without using something like Havel's Ring.

Thank you.

Cetra

What? That's so lame. I can't believe they put that in. Getting this better be incredibly hard.

Same thing was in Dark Souls, just instead of repairing it you'd buy or pick up a new one. If someone wants to spend 3k Souls every time they die then let em. I'll not do so and keep myself in level ups, consumables, and effigys.

So, Amazon's customer service continues to amaze.

I received my Black Armor 360 copy today and immediately noticed the discs within had become dislodged in transit. Sure enough, upon opening, I found the game disc had light surface scratches. These are very unlikely to inhibit gameplay or cause issues but are still quite annoying.

A quick chat with a Customer service rep explaining my issue and that the Black Armor edition is no longer available and I receive a $49 credit for the inconvenience.

PC double-dip 100% funded...:)

Glad Amazon chat went well for you. My best pal got told this morning that even though he pre-ordered in October, he wasn't getting his game until Amazon get's another shipment in. Why? Cause Amazon Prime members get priorty on pre-order stock. Pre-Order or Not. Straight BS if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm making no progress here. And now the enemies are disappearing so I can't even gain more exp. Great. If I do reset, what class would you recommend? The bandit looked pretty neat, but I went with the Swordsman because I like Dex builds in the last game.

And there was this big dude close to the Giant, you needed to climb a ladder and fight him on top of a building. He's not showing up and I never beat him. Do I need to do something for him to appear?

Zukuu

Banned

Since you have 4 slots now, you actually come close to 40% with 2 rings. (+other stats). There are also 3 different kind of
RoFaP
. Dunno if you can equip all 3 at once tho.

sixghost

Yeah, I'm making no progress here. And now the enemies are disappearing so I can't even gain more exp. Great.

And there was this big dude close to the Giant, you needed to climb a ladder and fight him on top of a building. He's not showing up and I never beat him. Do I need to do something for him to appear?

You'll run into him later. If you think you're really stuck, don't be afraid to start a new character. You'll be back to the point you're at now in like 1/10th of the time it took you the first time.

koryuken

Same thing was in Dark Souls, just instead of repairing it you'd buy or pick up a new one. If someone wants to spend 3k Souls every time they die then let em. I'll not do so and keep myself in level ups, consumables, and effigys.

They were limited in DS. You could only have a finite amount (cannot buy unlimited)... this one you can keep repairing. To top it off, you only had two ring slots in DS. No one would remove havel's ring or RoFP for that shit. Now we have 4 ring slots and unlimited uses on the rings, even if they break.

If someone was inclined to cheese through this game, it is incredibly easy to do.

gdt

At work and all I can think about is running home to play Dark Souls. Even cut a date shirt yesterday with a semi ex to play last night lol.

where are people getting electric weapons thats the only thing ever fucking me up in PvP it doesn't matter if you block it or anything any info on a shield that defends this either?

You'll run into him later. If you think you're really stuck, don't be afraid to start a new character. You'll be back to the point you're at now in like 1/10th of the time it took you the first time.

I might give it a try, but what class do you recommend? I don't want to go bandit and run into the same exact problems as now. And what stats should I invest in. Because it looks like there are clear "right" and "wrong" ways to spec out your character.

Zukuu

Banned
where are people getting electric weapons thats the only thing ever fucking me up in PvP it doesn't matter if you block it or anything any info on a shield that defends this either?

i'm sure there will be shields that have high elec absorb. You can also upgrade shields and give them more resistance to a specific element.

L-gon

Glad Amazon chat went well for you. My best pal got told this morning that even though he pre-ordered in October, he wasn't getting his game until Amazon get's another shipment in. Why? Cause Amazon Prime members get priorty on pre-order stock. Pre-Order or Not. Straight BS if you ask me.

That is awful and makes me feel shitty as a prime member that ordered 4 days ago (waffling on waiting for PC or not).

Terrible policy.

You know, that first death in a Demons/Dark Souls game is always special.

Sometimes embarrassing, sometimes justified, but always special.

With Dark Souls II, those of us who are veterans of the series expect it. It's coming, it's just a matter of time. Even greenhorns to the series have likely heard the hype about the game's difficulty and expect it.

I ran around for a bit (amazingly skipping the tutorial section completely) going right out to Manjula,
underground, and fought/beat some huge knights
, and felt cocky.
I backtracked, realized I skipped the white-mist tutorial sections and did those with no problem.
Then, at the completion of my tutorial, I see a lone bi-pedal hippo thing standing on a water bank gazing into the distance making grunt and fart noises.

It's ok. I'll feel it out, see if I can take it, and escape if I need to. It's fat, so I'm sure I can outrun/outpace it.

Fuck.

I run down the ramp, ready to engage, grab his attention almost immediately, and THEN I'M AMBUSHED! The shit? There was one hiding out of sight ready to smack me as soon as I hit the water bank. I immediately try to retreat, but the big assholes are deceptively fast, powerful, and dwindle my stamina to nothing. I did not last long against them.

My first death... and a grim (yet glorious) reminder that Dark Souls is back. :)

Zeliard

Yeah, I'm making no progress here. And now the enemies are disappearing so I can't even gain more exp. Great. If I do reset, what class would you recommend? The bandit looked pretty neat, but I went with the Swordsman because I like Dex builds in the last game.

The Bandit may also be problematic since his starting ADP is only 3, meaning you're going to have a very bad roll-dodge until you get that stat up. His Vigor is at least much higher than the Swordsman.

I'd probably recommend the Knight. He has decently balanced stats across the board, and with his very good starting Vigor stat and respectable ADP, you can mostly concentrate on boosting DEX up before you start finding the really nice DEX weapons.

There's also Deprived, which may be tough in the early going but also gives you substantially more leveling freedom since he starts at SL1.

Cetra

They were limited in DS. You could only have a finite amount (cannot buy unlimited)... this one you can keep repairing.

Yeah that's true, but still ... going back to Majula every time you die to repair a ring is just not practical. I don't see people abusing it for that reason alone, especially for anything more than willfully facing off with a boss while holding a large sum of souls.

While on the subject of repairs, I think that's the only thing in the game I can't stand that they changed. Several weapons have so little durability that they can't endure being used for more than 10 or so enemy encounters.

It's even worse starting as Deprived, Dagger has low durability. Next weapon you have access to that you can use has 20. You can kill four hollow soldiers with that weapon before it'll break on the next one.

georly

At work and all I can think about is running home to play Dark Souls. Even cut a date shirt yesterday with a semi ex to play last night lol.

Same here (the work part). I chose not to bring my collector's statue to work because it would make my desire to play even worse.

From the forest you should be able to move to the area in the Demo and fight a boss. Or if your stuck, Go back to Majula and go through the path in the building to the left (if your facing the crestfallen dude by the spire) There is a big gate you have to trigger down there. if you standing right in front of the gate,
look up to the left ledge and there is chain you have to pull.

I believe that is the area I already went into. Then got to the tower with the merchant lady. I can either explore the area down the ladder with the fire, but can't seem to find any other way to go aside from where I met the guy talking about maps. The other doors are locked in the fire area.

Zukuu

Banned
I might give it a try, but what class do you recommend? I don't want to go bandit and run into the same exact problems as now. And what stats should I invest in. Because it looks like there are clear "right" and "wrong" ways to spec out your character.
Every class is fine really. Some have it easier in the beginning tho. You can't really go wrong with Knight if you want to do melee. Vigor seems like a decent choice at first to help you tank a hit or two. Endurance and Adaptability are good as secondary choices to help you overall with your combat. Focus on your offensive stats afterwards and level Vit whenever you want to upgrade your armor. Speaking of which, literally upgrading your armor is worth it in the beginning. It won't raise your equip burden but makes it better than heavier un-upgraded armor.

Why doesn't my soapstone want to work anymore? I can't seem to be summoned or find any summon locations anymore in places that sure seem like I should be able to..

It's always a trade off, though, when you explore the deepest reaches of the universe in say, blight town or tomb of giants or whatever, (at the time it seems like the deepest depths of the universe) you're committed. you really are there. if you found a bonfire to save your ass, well, you're there now and you'll have to find a way out. it added tension and atmosphere to the game which the sequel lacks. there are plusses and minuses, I'm not prepared to say TPing is better, that said, with a world as big as DS2 it may be less practical to not have it.

I do miss this aspect.

ironcreed

Banned
I believe that is the area I already went into. Then got to the tower with the merchant lady. I can either explore the area down the ladder with the fire, but can't seem to find any other way to go aside from where I met the guy talking about maps. The other doors are locked in the fire area.

Slide down the ladder, turn left and kill the Hollow Soldiers, take another left and kill the sleeper on the right. Then go through the hole in the wall and up the tree. Go left in the castle ruins area and work your way through there.

mellow

so can anyone shed some light on summoning range? I think I read that invading is based on total souls accumulated, is summoning similar or is it still the old formula?

Odrion

Banned
Wow, the framerate on my PS3 copy is terrible. Like I'm reminded of Ocarina of Time.

But man, incredible, but man the framerate suuuuuucks.

AngryMoth

Holy crap, just checked on one of early game messages I left and it had a rating of 117, highest I've seen I think! Don't think I got a single rating in the original!

I have to say I was a bit worried I would be disappointed by this game but 15 hours in I am really loving it. The mechanical changes are almost all improvements imo and the art direction has been fantastic. Only criticism so far is that a couple of the bosses have felt too easy (
dragonrider and old dragon slayer
).

Alric

My copy of DS2 finally came in today and my fiance just sent me a picture of it with our dog Sif. So pumped to get home today.

1660480_601333473292119_1084242499_n.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks. I'll give it another go tonight. I hate leaving unopened treasures.
I hear ya. I still need to get that loot near the ladder that leads to the knight in the Forest of Giant, but apparently you need to jump and I'm not sure I want to waste my health bar trying to get it... anyone remember what's that loot?

Also a lot of input lag in the menus. I can push the start button and the menu won't pop up for a good 5 seconds. Hope some of this can be patched out.
Yeah, that happened to me too. Annoying.

I helped a bunch of people and never had humanity restored (but i had also just died a lot).

I made a new character, died once, helped someone (until time ran out) and then was human when i came back to my world. Does helping someone (until you get one of the item things) restore ONE death? Is that's what is going on? So if you have the 50%, you have to help like 10 people before you're fully restored?
Hmm, that would make sense. I haven't tried coop yet, but it seems really inconsistent in whether or not it revives you?

I can confirm this isn't the case. I was at 50% health, full hollow, and helped someone with the last giant. He died and I was sent back and was human again.
Well fuck.

Shame about the painful loading times. They really break the flow of the action.
Yeah, they're the most annoying thing of the game so far. That and the weird lock-on. I can't explain it, but the hitboxes and strafing are just different and I haven't gotten used to it yet. Died many times because I was expecting the combat flow (hitbox, strafing, roll startup, etc.) to be just like Dark Souls and was in for a nasty surprise. I'm really gonna have to get used to that... and start putting points into ADP, because as a swordsman it's very low and the longer startup on dodges killed me more times than I can count.

Question: You know that gecko near the beginning of the game that shoots fireballs out of his mouth, can you kill it?
I tried firing an arrow at it, but did very poor damage (using a shortbow+0 and wood arrow, mind you xD). Then it spat its fireball farther than before and hit me right in the face. xD I went back for my bloodstain but decided to leave it alone.
So, I guess with enough projectiles and by being careful you could kill it, but I don't know if it does anything.

I saw that message. It got me killed. :mad:
Hahahaha. I saw that message, wasn't sure what it meant, then swung my sword at a Hollow and the whole world went kaboom. Then I went "ohhhh..." xD Luckily with the shortcut open the bloodstain was right there!

What? That's so lame. I can't believe they put that in. Getting this better be incredibly hard.
As a lot of people said. FROM and Namco have clearly made this franchise more casual or accessible to casual rpg fans.
What a complete crock of shit. Rember this?
ring-of-sacrifice.png

You know, the one you can buy in infinite numbers up to 10 (almost as good as infinite, I never needed that many and used them liberally) from Oswald at 5k a piece? Guess what, it's the same mechanic. Except instead of buying several copies, you just pay to have it repaired. Or is it super-casual now that it's 3K instead of 5K? Come on.

Disc version? The loading times are absolutely fine imo. I have the digital version, 10 seconds loading maybe. 15 seconds in multiplayer.
Well fuck me. Had I known this I would have gotten the digital version. Sheesh... :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom