• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Bah didn't talk to him enough. I'll make sure to talk to people 20 times or something now on.

haha, I had just summoned a white phantom because there happened to be a sign there, and when I walked away without talking to the npc he stood there gesticulating wildly until I turned around.

Mupod

Are there lightning faith spells in this game? I'm a cleric and its been a struggle with no range attack

I bought the basic one from the NPC immediately after Dragonrider in Heike Tower. It's way faster than it was in Dark Souls, and comes with 10 casts for 1 attunement slot.

Sun

Neo Member
Not far in, exploring through Forest of the Giants now, but damn - the game feels a lot more stitched together than any of the previous ones. The animations are loose, the visuals are loose. Didn't get to see much of the game though, but the small details...

Turning your character 180 degrees while standing in DeS & DkS had a beautiful fluidity & unity, you were seeing a human turning. Contrast this with the roboticness of now. That kind of consistency of the realism of your own character was working miracles for placing you in that world, I believe.

It's funny how in their chase for realism (mo-cap, new engine, new lighthing system) they ended up losing a bit the dreamy foggy charm of before, and looking a bit worse for it.

Also, what the hell with those empty patches of geometry throughout Forest of the Giants? I had to reposition my camera a few times, just to stop seeing that shit. It kind of hurts, coming from the tightness & polish of what-you-walk-and-what-you-see of early-middle Dark Souls.

Anyway, time for less mouthering & more killering.I can smell a boss somewhere around where I am now.

oh. and enemy attention managment just became a thing, bigger than before.

2AdEPT

Reposting from a few pages ago, but apparently it's 1.5x the stat requirements of the weapons you want to dual wield.
thanks requoted fro those wondering...it an important tidbit!
Also I need more titanite shards

why the fuck does the blacksmith only have 10 in stock
Worse for me I killed the chest in the haunted house that had three extra, :(. DOnt kill chests anymore people ...use lloyds talismans and teeth recognition instead!
Just started the game and got to Majula, where my spears at!?
Blacksmith?, but you have to find his key first in
forest of giants
I also got one as a drop from spear wielders near the tower bonfire, but they are only close once you open the first/second shortcut (the one to the right.) Two halberds as well, but doz STR requirements!! Wont be able to use for a while.
I am bleary eyed from staying up late playing this last night. I am four bosses in so far:
The Dragon Rider, The Hovering Knight guy, Last Giant, and the three Iron knights.

So far I am really loving it.

I usually want to figure everything out firsthand, but
where do I find the item used for laying down summon signs? I feel like I just missed it randomly while playing :/
I found both in the
forest of giants
...dont expect me to recall where in the level though (HUGE AREA,) if i were to bet I would say do the quest offered to you by the
explorer NPC near the ballista room?

edit: looked it up in my beautiful new guide since i already did that area:
small upstairs at tower bonfire, regular, do the quest from pate.
Anything for an old Demon's vet! ;) mindblown: major NPC summoning spoiler it looks like I missed
Pate canbe summoned for giant boss?!?!?!!?
2 effigies down the tubes but at least I did it solo I guess....I lke NPC summons though! ;(
I didn't want to use any of the items, I just stored them for later and never touched them. I wanted to experience the beginning of the game as it was meant to be played.
Total non-issue, I use one of the shields on my back for back stab protection and because the bubbles look cool with the explorer set, but all of the stuff had high enough requirements that explorer could not use right out of the gate, which is simlar ot blacksmith weapons regardless. I downloaded my extra weapons and will use them if I feel like it...just adds to the menu of the hundreds to choose from ...they are not OP, nor do they break the early game.
So, some of these Pharroh's lockstones straight up do anything right? I've wasted like 5 of them.

Currently stuck in (late game area)
Upper Gutter. I can't seem to find my way to the boss.
I only have 6 estus (+4), I feel like I definitely missed at least one shard. Healing items haven't been dropping at all.
Yeah those stones are annoying...I think i wasted one on the area
below the ballista room.
as it does nothing and already turned the chest there into rubbish regardless.

DONT KILL CHESTS PEOPLE! -> use other methods to avoid mimcs/traps.

So i found (NPC spoiler)
cartographer and the miracle lady in Heime fire tower I exhausted their dialogue and they don't appear in majula. I killed the boat boss and the ornstein doppelganger. When do they appear ?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I'm lost.

I have the souls of:

The Giant
The Pursuer
The Dragonrider
The Old Dragonslayer
The Flexile Sentry
The Ruin Sentinel
The Soul of the Lost Sinner

What am I missing?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can use homeward bone during bosses now.
You could always do that. Even in Demon's you could use shards of archstone any time.

Also, can someone explain the hollowing out process to me? I'm not getting any more human after beating bosses, either myself or while summoned. But now, despite being hollowed the hell out, I'm still at 90% health and it doesn't decrease. Could it be because I have a bunch of tokens of fidelity from helping people?
Wow that is confusing now...

Rings of sacrifice were 100% not infinite in DS1.
My bad, it appears Oswald sells 'em up to 10. I have to say I never needed that much, and I actually broke quite a few in some playthroughs, sloppily/hurriedly (sometimes suicidally!) trying to retrieve high-humanity bloodstains. To me, there's hardly a difference between 10 per playthrough and infinite, really. I never ever ran out of those rings and used them quite liberally.

There are several other things that make it super blatantly not the same as it is in DS1
Do tell? Spoiler-tag if necessary.

I am 14 hours in now and am loving it.

Handing out one flask at a time is brilliant. I a up to four flasks now and I treasure each one and make constant calculated risks where I only heal if I think I can be one-shotted. It's making me play way more carefully than I did in DkS.

Interesting. I've played for 2 hours and some change and already found four shards for my flask. Guessing they just get harder to find then?

Zeliard

Did you guys open up cross-region play in the options? Japan and Europe will be joining us soon in droves. Curious to see how that will work out.

Probably won't do great things for PvP given lag, but it may be awesome for co-op.

Artorias

Banned
I just fought a boss in another players world. He died and I waited for it to take me home, and it reversed my hollowing. Can anyone explain the rules around this?

I've beaten bosses in another persons world and it didn't reverse my hollowing, why would it happen when we lost?

Trying to get DS1 finished for Friday, but man, screw Crystal Cave and Tomb of Giants. Just don't want to deal with level gimmicks. :(

Not-in-crappy -release-date-GAF, how viable is a low HP dex/adapt build? I'm thinking of just being speedy and use high dex scaling weapons for damage. In DS1 I'm rolling with GiantDad (for the lulz) so I want a change of pace. And if you don't get hit, you don't need HP. :p I'm thinking of running adapt to 20 as a first priority, then spending the next blob of souls getting whatever A or B scaling dex weapon I find as high as it can go, then just pouring SL levels into dex.

Phatmac

Anyone know why I can't be summoned? Try leaving a summon sign and it says that I can't at this time. I can't use the soap sign anymore too.
I was human for all of this.

Grinchy

Banned
As long as they don't break completely, they repair at bonfires.

ooooh, then that would explain why every single time I asked the blacksmith to repair my stuff the game told me that nothing needed repairs. I kept wondering why my stuff was indestructible with everyone talking about how often they have to repair.

Grinchy

Banned
Come on people, Invade more!

I'm sitting on 12 blue eye orbs, and no matter where I go I haven't found a sinner yet.

I still haven't been invaded yet. Though that's probably because I made the stupid mistake of burning an effigy instead of using it. That was in my first few hours of playing, though. I don't know how long that's supposed to last.

koryuken

You know, the one you can buy in infinite numbers from Oswald at 5k a piece? Guess what, it's the same mechanic. Except instead of buying several copies, you just pay to have it repaired. Or is it super-casual now that it's 3K instead of 5K? Come on.

Sorry, you are just flat out wrong. You could not buy infinite amount of these rings, period. You could find a few during your play-through and also buy a few. Additionally, you had only two ring slots. You would have to almost cripple your character by giving up Havel's ring or RFAP to wear this one. In DS2, you have 4 ring slots AND your character has a fast roll up to 70% equip burden. Now, you also don't need to worry about dying -- 3k souls is almost nothing later in the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sorry, you are just flat out wrong. You could not buy infinite amount of these rings, period. You could find a few during your play-through and also buy a few. Additionally, you had only two ring slots. You would have to almost cripple your character by giving up Havel's ring or RFAP to wear this one. In DS2, you have 4 ring slots AND your character has a fast roll up to 70% equip burden. Now, you also don't need to worry about dying -- 3k souls is almost nothing later in the game.
Please see this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104122380&postcount=10038

AlexIIDX

The coffin lol,
what a troll...my friend and I just realized after about 5 hours of play that we'd become women. Even saying, my guy walks like a wuss but didn't catch on till now.

Manus

Everyone does relize that the red bar under your weapon and shield is the durability right? After paying attention to that I haven't broken a weapon yet.

ironcreed

Banned
Jesus, I have to increase my poise. Strength and dex don't mean shit when you get staggered and then ass-raped so easily by multiple foes. That stamina bar depletion has really been ramped up.

Eventide

Banned
#HIGHFIVE!

164637_536889613016964_2008044695_n.jpg

halfbeast

Banned
had my first invasion today. it was nice, no lagstabs, just plain old hide and seek and mash buttons-type of battle. also, I've noticed a lot of those pre-order bonus weapons are being used. and they're ugly as hell. :/

Maybesew

has anybody found the uchigatana yet? Would really like it for my character.

I don't know if this is the only source but I saw a twitch streamer find a vendor/blacksmith that had it for sale. didnt notice the cost and didnt recognize the name of the area but they had about 18 boss souls in their inventory

koryuken

So you don't die more than 10 times during a playthrough, got it. (NG+ too right?) You are in the extreme minority because of your skills and don't have to worry about this discussion :)

I don't see that ring as a huge deal. Dark Souls 1 didn't really have any meaningful punishment for death, after all.

Losing all souls and humanity is a pretty big deal and a big punishment for dying. Especially if you were using Chaos weapons that deal damage based on the humanity you hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom