• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

I don't really get people fretting over that particular ring. You have to actually find it, so unless you're scouring some walkthrough, you don't know exactly where it is. Clearly a lot of players have been hit hard by stuff like the death penalty, enemy spawn limits, and the more emphasized durability mechanic.

Secondly, let's not pretend that Dark Souls 1 had some significant death penalty. You lost Souls and Humanity, both of which could be farmed quickly and easily.

embalm

The beta zone
huntsmen copse
, is pretty awesome. It's how outdoor zones should look. It really puts the first forest section to shame.

koryuken

I don't really get people fretting over that particular ring. You have to actually find it, so unless you're scouring some walkthrough, you don't know exactly where it is. Clearly a lot of players have been hit hard by stuff like the death penalty, enemy spawn limits, and the more emphasized durability mechanic.

Secondly, let's not pretend that Dark Souls 1 had some significant death penalty. You lost Souls and Humanity, both of which could be farmed quickly and easily.

PS. I read that there are 3 places where this ring can be found -- one fairly early in the game.

Zeliard

Losing all souls and humanity is a pretty big deal and a big punishment for dying. Especially if you were using Chaos weapons that deal damage based on the humanity you hold.

Losing souls wasn't really a big deal at all. You could get huge amounts by just playing co-op, and after a certain point they don't really matter at all.

And humanity was also easy to farm from the rats in the Depths with the covetous gold serpent ring and 10 humanity.

isual

so the supposed order of things I think is Forest of the Fallen Giants, then Heide's Tower --> end of that area, Huntsman's Copse --> end of that area, Gutter --> end of that area, then Shaded Woods --> end of that area

Man these ruin Sentinals are brutal!! I have no idea how to beat them.

ha. I was there 3 hours ago grinding for an hour and a half.

not sure if I stumbled onto any of you guys.

currently level 85, 13 hours in.

koryuken

lol sexism

lol? Of course I die more than 10 times. I don't break the rings every single time I equip them, if that's what you mean. Because, uh, I'm not that bad at the game... and I do die stupidly really often.

Maybe I'm not following you then??? You do know they break if you die with them equipped right? It doesn't just happen sometimes, it is a guarantee that they break (in both DS and DS2)...

Losing souls wasn't really a big deal at all. You could get huge amounts by just playing co-op, and after a certain point they don't really matter at all.

And humanity was also easy to farm from the rats in the Depths with the covetous gold serpent ring and 10 humanity.

Right, but that was potentially hours of wasted time... versus 3k souls lol.

PS. There are 3 of these rings in the wild, so its not super hidden/extremely rare. Also using the argument "you still have to find it" is not very compelling.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So I boot up the game, immediately run straight off a cliff because I was expecting a border to stop me from doing so for some reason. Hahaha. This is Dark Souls, not Zelda. Noted.

moozoom

Yeah those stones are annoying...I think i wasted one on the area
below the ballista room.
as it does nothing and already turned the chest there into rubbish regardless.

When I used mine in the area you talk about (
below the ballista room
), it gave me a hint to find something cool :
fake wall on the left of the stone face with treasures inside

I only used one stone so far, and it worked at first try, so I didn't know they could sometimes NOT show something useful. Considering the price, it's a shame.

I would like to know what boss souls do as well.
Presumably the same thing as they did in OG Dark Souls, where you can turn a +10 weapon into the bosses primary weapon.

Thing is, I've yet to find the blacksmith who can do this, so I'm just holding onto them for now. I did however run into a blacksmith who I think can enchant fire weapons, but I've yet to find a single ember.

Can someone give me a hint as to where I should use the bastille key I found after the
belfory gargoyles
? Really don't remember too many locked doors.

dalVlatko

What did they do to the Halberd?

The overhead attack is so sloooooooooooow. I went through all of the first game with it and now I feel like I wasted my shards on upgrading this POS.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Maybe I'm not following you then??? You do know they break if you die with them equipped right? It doesn't just happen sometimes, it is a guarantee that they break (in both DS and DS2)...
Of course I know. But I only ever equipped them to retrieve a bloodstain. If I successfully retrieved my bloodstain I'd immediately unequip it to re-use it later.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I'm lost.

I have the souls of:

The Giant
The Pursuer
The Dragonrider
The Old Dragonslayer
The Flexile Sentry
The Ruin Sentinel
The Soul of the Lost Sinner

What am I missing?

From Majula go to the route you would take to go to Heide,
a NPC will be there and open another path for 2k souls.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is Ring of Giants (increases poise) worth purchasing?

I always figured that was far more of a PVP attribute.

For PVE I pretty much just try to block or not get hit in the first place.

So if you're playing online, go for it, but offline....maybe pass.

my dumb ass just remembered I only have 2 estus flask....

I havn't found any more shards so far

They're not the easiest thing in the world to find. 5 bosses down on my end and only 3 flasks.

TWILT

Banned
Just beat the
Pursuer.
Loving the game so far. Not sure how I'd compare me to DS1 yet, but hoping it keeps up the quality.

koryuken

Chaos weapons only scale up to 10 humanity, which you can get very quickly. The only other reason to hoard humanity is to heal during PvP if you've got no honor. :>

Agreed, but all I am saying is there is no penalty for dying now. Only 3k souls (whupty shit)... You can totally cheese through the game and never worry about being stuck or losing a ton of progress -- killing all tension. I think arguing this is disingenuous. I still really enjoy the game, but it is easily way more "casul".

Of course I know. But I only ever equipped them to retrieve a bloodstain. If I successfully retrieved my bloodstain I'd immediately unequip it to re-use it later.

That's smart and good playing on your end. You still had to play carefully and probably take off some of your armor (no havel's ring) to get your body back. In DS2, this tension is gone.

What did they do to the Halberd?

The overhead attack is so sloooooooooooow. I went through all of the first game with it and now I feel like I wasted my shards on upgrading this POS.
Seriously. That was a major disappointment to me after I put my initial souls into being able to wield it.

skynidas

Banned

if you exhausted their dialogue then the cartographer should appear at the basement of the mansion in Maluja, and the girl is between maluja and heime's fire tower, you can give her 2000 souls so she moves the contraption to advance to other areas

Can someone give me a hint as to where I should use the bastille key I found after the
belfory gargoyles
? Really don't remember too many locked doors.
Right near the first bonfire of bastille (not the one you get by beating floaty-knight) If you get to the point where the mummy leaps off the scaffolding to attack you and keep heading straight through the hallway with the dogs you will notice a door to your left. Open it (and light the sconce with a torch).
You'll get a new blacksmith that can presumably enchant fire weapons, and a whole bunch of upgrade materials.

Found the second blacksmith. In
lost Bastille
behind
the cracked wall
. WTF is he doing? Help please lol dont wanna do anything rash...

Zeliard

Agreed, but all I am saying is there is no penalty for dying now. Only 3k souls (whupty shit)... You can totally cheese through the game and never worry about being stuck or losing a ton of progress -- killing all tension. I think arguing this is disingenuous. I still really enjoy the game, but it is easily way more "casul".

I think this would only crop up as a real issue on replays or if you're looking at a wiki or whatever and finding out where it's located.

I mean, I'm sure you've seen the number of people complaining that the death penalty combined with the enemy spawn limit has made things rough for them, and that includes players who are a decent way into the game. Clearly those people don't have that piece of gear, and their playthrough so far reflects that.

Sullichin

Found that
life protection
ring, on the way to
drangleic castle. Tested for myself and you can repair it for 3000 souls. Wow.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Right near the first bonfire of bastille (not the one you get by beating floaty-knight) If you get to the point where the mummy leaps off the scaffolding to attack you and keep heading straight through the hallway with the dogs you will notice a door to your left. Open it (and light the sconce with a torch).
You'll get a new blacksmith that can presumably enchant fire weapons, and a whole bunch of upgrade materials.

you can also
have the mummy guy kick the barrel down the stairs and itll explode on the wall and open up a new bonfire and the smith

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's smart and good playing on your end. You still had to play carefully and probably take off some of your armor (no havel's ring) to get your body back. In DS2, this tension is gone.
I never rely on Havel, I always try to remain beneath 25% or at the most 50%. *shrugs*

mansion basement
Ohhhh the basement? Where the skeleton is? Okay. I kept checking in the room with all the books cause I figured that's where he would be, heh.

Man I want to play again now...

ironcreed

Banned

It is a pretty inventive way to let those who want get an edge without compromising the game. Even then, they still have to earn it. All said and done, I am finding this game as-is to be a much tougher affair than Dark Souls 1. No doubt about it. The death penalty, stricter stamina management, and even shambling equivalent foes pose more of a threat.

k4n3

Banned
since you cant start as a pyromancer how long till you find the glove and is it still best to start out as a sorcerer if you want to focus on pyro?

Phatmac

Wait there's a black smith and a second bonfire in lost Bastille?? I was stuck in the area with the locked door and wall. Help!

Exr

How do I join the invader gang? The guy on the red chair keeps dismissing me. Also why is it that Im constantly helping people beat bosses but I'm not reviving each time despite being very close to max health?

Sullichin

It is a pretty inventive way to let those who want get an edge without compromising the game. Even then, they still have to earn it. All said and done, I am finding this game as-is to be a much tougher affair than Dark Souls 1. No doubt about it. The death penalty, stricter stamina management, and even shambling equivalent foes pose more of a threat.

I just found it, late game, but it wasn't really out of the way. I'm going to use it because I want to stay human for invasions..but this ring might be too good. I guess it doesn't really matter if you can only find it late in the game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Jesus, I have to increase my poise. Strength and dex don't mean shit when you get staggered and then ass-raped so easily by multiple foes. That stamina bar depletion has really been ramped up.

Can't say that has been an issue for me. But then again I have been constantly levelling up END and ADP >:)

Hardest thing so far has been a particular boss fight but there's enough alternative paths to take that I can avoid it for quite a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom