• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

creyas

My hype is at an unbearable level.

I'm going to have a meltdown if the game hasn't arrived when i get home on Friday. Excruciating.

This game is brutal. Probably died close to 10 times now and I haven't even seen the first boss. The game really seems to force you to fight groups of enemies now, quite challenging. But it does feel like I'm learning.

I think that's the biggest difference I've seen so far. In Dark Souls, even when there were mobs of enemies there were ways to get them separated and fight one on one. In this game I've been have to fight three and four enemies at once with no choice because they all aggro together. Keeps you on your toes for sure.

Available: April 25th, 2014
This game will unlock in approximately 1 month, 2 weeks, 1 day and 11 hours

LLShC.gif

Can someone explain to me how the Blue Sentinels actually works? I can't figure out a way to fight my fellow sentinels, or help people in other games, despite having the ring equipped.

Prototype

F-ing
pursuer

had to break down and summon some help, or risk losing the 10k+ souls I had when I originally died to it. Glad that's over.

Fhtagn

I am 14 hours in now and am loving it.

I am very impressed with the way they've upped the intensity of resource management. I think if this game came out first, instead of demons or dark, it would have a reputation like Shadow Tower's, where people are afraid to play it because of how scary it is that your weapons break so fast.

Handing out one flask at a time is brilliant. I a up to four flasks now and I treasure each one and make constant calculated risks where I only heal if I think I can be one-shotted. It's making me play way more carefully than I did in DkS.

The weapon degrade system may be my favorite thing. I think it's the absolute best across the souls, king's field and shadow tower games. I have a fire long sword +4 as my main weapon and always at least a dagger in reserve. In larger areas I have a second heavier weapon just to be sure I can make it to the next bonfire. This additional pressure/friction had come into play several times for me and it's added another layer of tension and release, it's completely genius.

Also when my only good weapon broke early on and I had to switch back to the dagger until I found the goddamn key for the blacksmith, well, let's just say that people's worries that this game wouldn't continue the Souls ethos about actions not having consequences turned out to be absolutely wrong.

Deadstar

I am 14 hours in now and am loving it.

I am very impressed with the way they've upped the intensity of resource management. I think if this game came out first, instead of demons or dark, it would have a reputation like Shadow Tower's, where people are afraid to play it because of how scary it is that your weapons break so fast.

Handing out one flask at a time is brilliant. I a up to four flasks now and I treasure each one and make constant calculated risks where I only heal if I think I can be one-shotted. It's making me play way more carefully than I did in DkS.

The weapon degrade system may be my favorite thing. I think it's the absolute best across the souls, king's field and shadow tower games. I have a fire long sword +4 as my main weapon and always at least a dagger in reserve. In larger areas I have a second heavier weapon just to be sure I can make it to the next bonfire. This additional pressure/friction had come into play several times for me and it's added another layer of tension and release, it's completely genius.

Also when my only good weapon broke early on and I had to switch back to the dagger until I found the goddamn key for the blacksmith, well, let's just say that people's worries that this game wouldn't continue the Souls ethos about actions not having consequences turned out to be absolutely wrong.

I still don't "get" what is fun about weapons breaking. So instead of rolling with one weapon am I supposed to have a minimum of two that I always use? It seems like you need to carry a couple weapons now in case one breaks or gets weak.

georly

Anyone manage to kill
Pursuer outside of his fog gate? I tried and almost got him, but he got me first. You only get one chance. I wonder how the game changes and what rewards you get for doing it.

sixghost

Will the Sorcery vendor in
No Man's Wharf
set up in Majula? I went back to his original spot to buy his other spells, and he was gone.

Also, can someone explain the hollowing out process to me? I'm not getting any more human after beating bosses, either myself or while summoned. But now, despite being hollowed the hell out, I'm still at 90% health and it doesn't decrease. Could it be because I have a bunch of tokens of fidelity from helping people?

BigDug13

So does this game perform better when purchased digitally on PS3? Because the optical drive is whirring like crazy while playing and it has pauses as it's loading each section.

No idea why Sony still doesn't let us choose to install the entire game like the 360. It's causing it to perform like shit since those 1/4 second pauses every 20 seconds sometimes cause control issues in a fight.

Manus

I still don't "get" what is fun about weapons breaking. So instead of rolling with one weapon am I supposed to have a minimum of two that I always use? It seems like you need to carry a couple weapons now in case one breaks or gets weak.

You do know repair powder still exists right?

sixghost

I might give it a try, but what class do you recommend? I don't want to go bandit and run into the same exact problems as now. And what stats should I invest in. Because it looks like there are clear "right" and "wrong" ways to spec out your character.

No one really knows the best way to build at this point. If you want to play without spells, a mix of VIT, END, ADP, VIG, and either STR or DEX seems like it would be decent. There are going to be hard parts no matter how you build. I went heavy on INT, and some bosses are just destroying me. Other's I just plow through.

Ferrio

Banned
When do weapons repair?

I had my beginning axe get toasted fairly quickly into the game.... my other weapons have yet to break.

Farooq

Banned
Some help here would be great:

I revived the guy who is supposed to make weapons out of boss souls but he's saying I lack intelligence. (I started as a bandit so 1 Int, haven't leveled it up)

Anyone know the Int requirement?

I searched around a couple of forums and have an answer.

The Int requirement is 5.

Mupod

Also, can someone explain the hollowing out process to me? I'm not getting any more human after beating bosses, either myself or while summoned. But now, despite being hollowed the hell out, I'm still at 90% health and it doesn't decrease. Could it be because I have a bunch of tokens of fidelity from helping people?

whenever I hollow I go get summoned for a boss and I turn human again, so you can definitely use that method. You might need to do it multiple times if you're really low HP, I haven't tested it much.

I have tons of those tokens too but I haven't been super-hollow since the beginning of the game when I was jumping off everything trying to find secrets. Are you wearing the
binding ring
by any chance?

I'm fighting the
Old Dragonslayer
what does more damage in a short amount of time? Dual wielding attacks or two handed strong attack. Think weapons of equal power. I can only get two swings in before I have to move away with two handed.

whenever I hollow I go get summoned for a boss and I turn human again, so you can definitely use that method. You might need to do it multiple times if you're really low HP, I haven't tested it much.

I have tons of those tokens too but I haven't been super-hollow since the beginning of the game when I was jumping off everything trying to find secrets. Are you wearing the
binding ring
by any chance?

I am, but even when I take it off, there's nearly no difference now. And Im at the max fucked up hollow state. Weird.

Okay, sometimtes when I'm assisting someone as a shade, everything is fine - they challenge area boss and I go in. Other times when they go in the same gate it simply says they've left the area. Any reason why this could be?

Listonosh

Pretty sure you can do that in DkS

I'm actually learning about this for the first time now! Had no idea you could do that in DkS. Holy crap, sort of takes that fear of losing my souls away just a bit. I mean I realize a lot of the time you just dont have time to home bone before you get crushed by the boss, but still...

Mupod

How far until you get a bigger soapstone? Mine so small and puny....

a white one? I got mine from
Pate. I just went into that area he said was trapped, and talked to him afterwards.

Also since I have a knack for posting right at the end of a page, if anyone can confirm whether or not the turtle knights drop their weapon I'd appreciate it.

Ferrio

Banned
a white one? I got mine from
Pate. I just went into that area he said was trapped, and talked to him afterwards.

Also since I have a knack for posting right at the end of a page, if anyone can confirm whether or not the turtle knights drop their weapon I'd appreciate it.

Bah didn't talk to him enough. I'll make sure to talk to people 20 times or something now on.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
What a complete crock of shit. Rember this?
ring-of-sacrifice.png

You know, the one you can buy in infinite numbers from Oswald at 5k a piece? Guess what, it's the same mechanic. Except instead of buying several copies, you just pay to have it repaired. Or is it super-casual now that it's 3K instead of 5K? Come on.

Rings of sacrifice were 100% not infinite in DS1. There are several other things that make it super blatantly not the same as it is in DS1, but I'm not gonna know exactly how I feel about it until I know more about the game as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom