• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right near the first bonfire of bastille (not the one you get by beating floaty-knight) If you get to the point where the mummy leaps off the scaffolding to attack you and keep heading straight through the hallway with the dogs you will notice a door to your left. Open it (and light the sconce with a torch).
You'll get a new blacksmith that can presumably enchant fire weapons, and a whole bunch of upgrade materials.

Thanks!

NIN90

Game says my ethernet cable isn't connected (despite me still being logged on to my PSN account). Does that mean the server is down?

if you exhausted their dialogue then the cartographer should appear at the basement of the mansion in Maluja, and the girl is between maluja and heime's fire tower, you can give her 2000 souls so she moves the contraption to advance to other areas

The girl is there, but the catographer is nowhere in the manor. I checked its original location he's not here anymore too. Any idea ?

SGRemy

Welp, ~26 hours in and now I've no clue where to go lol can't beat the boss at Earthen's Peak.
dat poison bro...
and I've no clue what other path to take. Tempted to buy the guide....

sappyday

Does the
Giant that you can examine by the Soldier's Rest bonfire
have any significance? Also is there anywhere else to go from here?

So I just joined the
Bell Keeper
covenant and was imediately invaded by 2 gray souls. This is the first time I've been invaded in the 10 hours I've played. Is it because I joined the covenant?

ironcreed

Banned
Can't say that has been an issue for me. But then again I have been constantly levelling up END and ADP >:)

Hardest thing so far has been a particular boss fight but there's enough alternative paths to take that I can avoid it for quite a while...

Those are the two things I am going to focus on leveling for awhile. Luckily, I just found Gavlan and bought the Ring of Giants that will increase my poise in the meantime. Thankfully I can sell stuff to him as well.

PirateKing

I really want to buy this game, but if i buy it i won't be able to play other games for at least 2 months. I was planning to get Infamous second son and Ground zeros next week but now i don't know what to do :(

Guys. You guys.

I just beat the second primal boss, as in
Duke's Dear Freja.

Where do I go from here? I got a single use of the item that reverses petrification.

Sullichin

So I just joined the
Bell Keeper
covenant and was imediately invaded by 2 gray souls. This is the first time I've been invaded in the 10 hours I've played. Is it because I joined the covenant?

Were you invaded in that area? I couldn't get that covenant to work. And probably, there's lots of grey phantoms where you sign up for it.

Found that
life protection
ring, on the way to
drangleic castle. Tested for myself and you can repair it for 3000 souls. Wow.

So, can you confirm that rings that break, can be repaired for a fee, even those
that specifically should have "one use" only?
I didn't want to try anything rash before confirmation, so that would be a real good news in that case.

Gorillaz

Does the
Giant that you can examine by the Soldier's Rest bonfire
have any significance? Also is there anywhere else to go from here?

I am very interested in this as well because the way it is setup, makes it seem like it's a entrance to another level

Sullichin

So, can you confirm that rings that break, can be repaired for a fee, even those t
hat specifically should have "one use" only?
I didn't want to try anything rash before confirmation, so that would be a real good news in that case.

I tested it immediately when I found this ring. I broke one other ring by rolling into a barrel of acid or something and was able to repair it too.

Started the game as the swordsmen but after reading through some of the thread, I'm not all to pleased with how the class plays. I usually play as some sort of light armor fighter, or ranger but was thinking of maybe starting off as a sorcerer. Any recommendations?

Deadstar

Dat feeling when you found the next bonfire.
God, I love the souls games. Just give me more.

Is it safe to say that the souls series is the best gaming trilogy of all time? I'm only a few hours in but man, it's incredible. (Other than the disgusting frame rate on ps3)

Right now I'm on denial step 3, bargaining. Wishing that From can fix the game. Next is depression, then acceptance. By then the pc version will be out.

Booties

Banned
I just went into a random game stop on my way home and got this game pre owned for $50. Still wrapped and everything. P Cool. Just booted up. Can't wait to die a whole lot.

Mutombo

Really good to see that everyone moved on from the "THIS GAME IS DOOMED" to "WHERE CAN I FIND X?"

My impressions: damn. This game is hard. I've just replayed Dark Souls and was pretty much OP the second round, knowing the game and how to play. It feels as if I'm a bloody n00b in DS II. Getting my ass kicked in the first
Giant Tree
area, which I believe is the first area. I don't understand the complaints about life gems because for me there can't be too many. Also, how do I get upgrade my Estus? I only have one sip?

But yeah, graphics and all that not that great, but still immersed as fuck. Hope I'll get a decent Dex weapon soon to upgrade.

And I'm finding my Bandit to be a bit slow on the reactions; rolling after swinging and so on. I should probably put points in APT?

Is it safe to say that the souls series is the best gaming trilogy of all time? I'm only a few hours in but man, it's incredible. (Other than the disgusting frame rate on ps3)

Right now I'm on denial step 3, bargaining. Wishing that From can fix the game. Next is depression, then acceptance. By then the pc versoin will be out.

Heh yeah, definitely my favorite trilogy.
Just found a hidden bonfire.....praise the sun

Eleuin

Did I miss someone important? Forest of Giants area

He was dropped off by an bird. I ran away to clear out the other enemies first and now he's gone :(

Con_Smith

Banned
Finally got in a decent round of online and gahdamn. A mage, a swordsman, and me a warrior went through most of one area just wrecking so hard makes me wish I hadn't started over yet again and was further along. Thankfully though I've been able to clean up item and npc wise thanks to ENB's video I watched last night and some helpful tips from you guys as I monitor the thread as I progress through. This game really is more difficult than Dark Souls 1 though, and anytime I try to play it as such I just end up failing. The patience threshold you have to have when attacking has been boosted as I got hosed in the wharf when I got ambushed by a group of dudes who really weren't even a problem for me before besides their bombs.

Taking a break till Friday probably when I get my new router for more dedicated online play, but i'll probably be back. So much fun finally clearing a section and cleaning it out and now that I actually have more than two options to go explore I can feel myself losing my life to some enemies in the Lost Bastille or whatever.

pronk420

Agreed, but all I am saying is there is no penalty for dying now. Only 3k souls (whupty shit)... You can totally cheese through the game and never worry about being stuck or losing a ton of progress -- killing all tension. I think arguing this is disingenuous. I still really enjoy the game, but it is easily way more "casul".

i'm really curious, what are you talking about?

I can only think
the ring that gives you 75% health even when not human?

how is that any less of a penalty on death than dark souls/demon souls? i just makes it less insane. demon's souls works the same way, and you can farm stuff in dark souls.

or were you talking about something else?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Poise is listed twice on the profile. Once for the stat (probably 3.0) and another time under defense (probably 50). I'm not sure how they relate mathematically, but they aren't the same value.
One is your "naked" poise, based on your stats (ADP raises poise slightly), the other value is the total based on your equipment.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Did I miss someone important? Forest of Giants area

He was dropped off by an bird. I ran away to clear out the other enemies first and now he's gone :(

you fight him later as a optional boss through a fog wall after you beat the boss of that area

Jobbs

Banned
is something with multiple scaling always going to be better? So in other words, is a weapon with, say, B str D dex gonna be better always (on a str character) than a weapon with just B str? or is it somehow distributing things in some weird way.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
is something with multiple scaling always going to be better? So in other words, is a weapon with, say, B str D dex gonna be better always (on a str character) than a weapon with just B str? or is it somehow distributing things in some weird way.

scales better with the B stat so yes if it was B for strength then itll scale better with strength

Maybesew

If the base damage is a lot lower, having extra D dex scaling will not make up for it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Those are the two things I am going to focus on leveling for awhile. Luckily, I just found Gavlan and bought the Ring of Giants that will increase my poise in the meantime. Thankfully I can sell stuff to him as well.

It's a very minor spoiler but
I noticed he was gone when I returned to that Wharf area. Good luck with the next boss! It wasn't too bad...

I love all these new rings, its great.

This game is great.

Agreed 100%

I don't understand why the rings have durability now, though. Does that ever even come into play? I am guessing some super powerful rings have low durability to balance it out.

One thing does annoy me that seems to have been changed. The rate at which your weapons degrade is pretty insane. It feels like it's 1 point in durability every 2 hits which goes SO fast in some areas (depending on how many enemies are there). It doesn't even really add to the difficulty so much as just makes it more annoying (imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom